Rabbid Rabbit - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

7.4% ABV, 25 IBUs - This Franco-Belgian style Farmhouse Ale has an effervescent body and a light straw color. Rabbid Rabbit, with it’s light malt body, augmented by spices, is a complex and frothy beverage with a deceptively high alcohol content. March release.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-2002)
4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a cloudy pale gold with a light-cream/off-white colored head.

Smell is dominated by tart fruity esters. Reminds me a bit of pink bubble gum.

Taste upfront is a little malty. Most of the flavor comes through at the finish with fruity esters taking on the qualities of pears and green apples. Nice mix of sweet and tart.

Mouthfeel is thin-medium bodied with the champagne yeast giving it a nice crisp finish.

Drinkability is good--a nice refreshing beer for one of the first warm days in Chicago this year.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

I drank this from the 22oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours a murky honey gold with a hint of orange. There is only about a finger of watery white head that is gone way too quickly.

The aroma is on the lighter side. Gives off a little sweetness to start (orange), then some floral hops, and a tiny skunk at the end.

The taste is better the aroma, its like a session saison. Its lighter in taste starts off sweet then a big hit of bitterness in the middle.

The feel is ok

Easy to drink.

Ovearll, ok. An easy to drink saison.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

On-tap at the BrewPub poured into tulip.

A - Pours a mirky golden/orange color, white head, some lacing here and there with a thin cap.

S - Slight farmhouse funk, sweet fruit, sugars, touch of hops.

T - Similar to the nose but a little more funky on the palate. There's some good farmhouse funk, sweet fruits, bread, and a touch of hops. A dark fruity finish.

M - Light towards medium, soft carbonation, creamy finish.

D - A nice Saison, Three Floyds style, which differs from the norm. I really like this one, and when it's on-tap at the BrewPub, I'll usually order at least one, if not more.

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

on tap at FFF brewpub in tulip. Straw color and large white head. Great cake like smell with some fruit in there as well. Not as carbonated as bottle conditioned belgian ales (esp. Hennepin) but that didn't detract. Nice yeasty funk and overall a great tasting saison, never noticed the 9%. Had to buy a bottle of this and will certainly get again.

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

On tap served in a tulip glass. Two finger white head with minimal lacing. Great yeast smell, mild fruity mango. The taste is nice and spicy, a little black pepper, ginger, nice and sweet. Overall a good, big, Belgian wheaty saison. You hardly notice that 9% abv. This is really great on a hot afternoon!

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottle consumed with beerloco, mrsbeerloco, kplynch, mrskplynch, and StonyB.

Appearance: Pours a light orange to deep golden with a 1 finger white crown, minimal retention, and minimal lace.

Smell: Minty mangos and apricots with hints of chamomile and bandaids.

Taste: Same as smell but more mint and no bandaid. Lots of Belgian yeast with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and rock candy sugar.

Mouthfeel: light bodied with just enough carbonation. a bit lack luster but not bad.

Drinkability: Easy despite the 9% abv

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Big Thanks to Phaleslu for sending me this one, which has been on the wants list for quite some time. It pours a very hazy orange pour, with not a whole lot of white heading. It smells like a very spice heavy version of this style. I get some ginger, orange peel, brown sugar, pie crust, nutmeg. It starts off kind of musty in the taste, but then all of those spices come rushing in. Alcohol is nicely hidden too. Body is pretty thick for a Saison. At first I did not really care for this beer, but it grew on me as time went on. This beer screams American interpretation of a traditionally Belgian style. One of the more interesting Saisons I have run in to in a while. Cheers

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Aggressive pour into tulip...

A: Golden yellow orange body that is opaque with a frothy two finger white head. Falls slowly leaving excellent lacing.

S: Lots of spice on this one. Lemon jumps out immediately along with clove, coriander, a hint of mint, and just a touch of nutmeg. Pretty complex...also pick up a nice earthy yeast note, white pepper, as it warms it just gets more complex. Very nice really...

T: Follows the nose almost exactly. A little more citrus and a faint apple flavor found in the mid-palate as well. Nice, but a little heavy on flavor for a saison, not quite refreshing like the style generally is.

M: Medium mouthfeel, bordering on heavy, the 9.3% abv adds to that i'm sure. Wish it were a little more crisp.

D: Not as drinkable as it should be as a saison...too heavy. But a good offering nonetheless. FFF's always makes solid beer!

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to Thirstybird for sharing. 22oz. bottle served in my Allagash goblet. Poured a tawny orange-gold with a murky consistency. A half inch, creamy white head dissipates into a skim, revealing delicate bands of lacing. Nose is very spicy and herbal - nutmeg, cinnamon and chamomile. Flavor profile is a spicy muddle of chai, clove, nutmeg, pepper and a little mint. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a lively effervescence. Interesting, but definitely want to split this with one or two other people. Not very saison-like in my opinion. Kind of reminded me of Sah'Tea.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is a fairly clear golden yellow with tints of orange. The bone white head is a full inch of pillowy fluffy goodness. After settling thick chunks of lace stick to the edge of my glass.

The aroma is super fruity. Oranges and lemons are right up front. Then some grassiness and a wheat/corn tone takes over. This is strange scented beer to say the least. Not bad by any stretch just unique as hell.

The flavor is spicy and fruity. Orange juice and lemons with cinnimon and clove. Some hops can be picked up in the finish. The taste is just as unique as the aroma.

Medium body. Loads of carbonation.

Overall a weird yet pleasing beer. Not bad at all just out there as far as saisons go. I would love to give this another try in the future.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

I've had this bottle sitting in my cellar for over a year now, so I hope this review reflects a beer still at a peak of taste and flavor and not diminished by a year of aging.
This poured a transluscent pale copper, with a medium foamy white head and a carbonation consisting of very small but numberous bubbles.
The nose had sweet fruits, mild spice and sweet malt, and plenty of floral tones.
While the nose came thorugh in spades, the taste may have been what was hurt, not helped, by the aging. The different sweet fruits were blended together and hard to pick out, while the mild spice was overshaddowed by the floral notes.
This tasted very little like the Farmhouse Ales I'm used to drinking, but it was still somewhat complex and interesting.
The feel was also a bit underwhelming, with an overall dullness. The initial sweet which is qwuite nice fades quickly into an almost bland feel.
Overall I'd say it was pretty drinkable but not an excellent Farmhouse, and not what I have come to expect from TF.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass - another big thanks to ikonoklaztor for the 3F goodness!

Pours hazy straw-gold with a big, dense, rocky white head with phenomenal lacing and fantastic stickage. Loads of effervescence visible as it cascades to the surface.

Nose is a bit peppery, loads of golden tropical fruit, lightly bready yeast note, bit tangy.

Taste is a bit more lackluster - the tropical fruit and tangy, lightly bready yeast notes are there, but are a bit muted in comparison to the nose. Mangos are probably the strongest note, but pineapples and even bananas come through faintly as well. Finish carries a very light peppery, spicy note, but otherwise it's missing. Just seems to be missing a lot of the character from the best farmhouse ales. Nice tasting beer, but I was hoping for a bit more complexity.

Drinkability is nice - there's really nothing holding it back at all, Tasty, fairly straightforward for the style. Definitely an easy to drink beer.

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

22oz bomber via trade thanks to Alleykatking. Poured into my Weyerbacher pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy. Sort of a macro look to it as it has the same kind of piss yellow color to it. Head builds up but disappears in a flash. Not much retention to speak of. Hey, as long as it tastes good.

Smell: Very spicy. Clove. Not quite the same kind of spice you find in other saisons though, this smells a little sweeter, or fuller, or both. Found some hops in there as well.

Taste: Whoa. Weird. But fantastic. Some clove and yeast flavors in there, but the presence of the rock candy the labels indicates was used in the brewing process is certainly there. And it's executed brilliantly. Not too strong or sweet, just enough. Some hop presence is there, but not enough to detract from the rock candy.

Mouthfeel: I want to say it was lighter than I expected given its flavor, but I want to say it was just right given the appearance. Feels a little spritzy on the tongue. Real nice.

Drinkability: I know this is supposedly 9% but...no. No it's not. It can't be. This drinks just like the most sessionable of beers. I could drink this all day if not for the fear of alcohol poisoning.

I gave this high marks in the taste category based on its uniqueness alone, but in reality, this is probably one of the best saison's I've had anyway.

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a snifter glass this beer has a hazy straw color. The color and head retention even mimic that of a macro lager. The look is thin and somewhat watery, but looks can be very deceiving.

The first smell has tons of spice to it. Cloves, taragon, fennel, and perhaps some annice fill the nose. There is also a faint sweetness in the nostrils. Another medicinal aroma is picked up and behind it some hops.

The flavors in this beer are so compelling. I'm surpised it isn't rated higher. Perhaps the appearance is hard to overcome. The first thing you notice as far as taste is the sweet malt, then the buttery flavors followed by raisons, oily hops on the roof of the mouth (but they do not linger), then a dryness that ends to a buttery finish (but not in a bad diacetyl way).

Mouthfeel is much more light and airy than the first whiff and taste will tell you. The alcohol help to thin out the massive flavor attach. I wouldn't call the mouthfeel thin by any means despite what the beer "looks" like (see above). I would call this an Imperial Saison with a perfect mouthfeel.

9.00%! Really?!%*& I wouldn't expect that from what I've just tasted. I know this beer is higher in alcohol than most saisons but 9% is just off the charts. The flavors are great, the aroma is beautiful, and the mouthfeel is a touch thick but this beer is insanely drinkable. I will have no problem finishing this bomber by myself.

My advice...seek this beer out and enjoy a few of them before the weather turns too cool. I like this one a lot and will definately seek it out again. Very good, very cool, very tasty!

3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tulip glass:
smells of bubblegum hops and taste is similar. Finger head, seemingly lots of carbonation upon first appearance. Head looks fluffy yet composed of carbonation. Later appearance shows it is indeed a nice, fluffy head with moderate lacing. Mouthfeel is smooth, yet lacking in some way I can't quite put my finger on. Taste is a bit too sweet but covers up alcohol quite nicely. Tastes like a very mild pale ale with tasty bubblegum hops.
Pint Glass:
smells of very faint ale. Very nice, creamy head. Presentation is cloudy (as this is the other half of the bomber). Lacing is evident and taste seems to decline a bit, being much more smooth, less carbonation and a bit more detection of carbonation. I would prefer this in a tulip glass over the pint glass but I would like to try this in an oversized wine glass as well. Overall, I'd probably give this a B- (72/100).

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to AlleyKatKing for an exceptional trade! Reviewed from notes.

First off, I love the label. Once again great artwork from 3F's. Golden yellow body with a nice initial head that dissipated to nothing. This beer has some unique smells and flavors. Aromas of chamomile, cinnamon, roses? and cotton candy?? Tastes of lavender, nutmeg, more chamomile, cranberry, and white pepper. Lingering flavors but some light dryness. A pleasure to drink, unique flavors and light body make this easy to drink. "Not Normal" is definitely right.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a golden/amber with a little over a finger of head in my 25 oz. snifter. Smell is orange peel, rubber cement, straw, dandelion. Taste is a huge splash of ginger...seriously like chewing on a gingerbread cookie. Some light tropical fruit notes, nuts, a faint hint of band aid. Medium bodied and pretty normal for the style. Honestly I am having a tough time deciding whether I like this or not. The ginger spice is very unique and interesting, but it kind of overshadows everything else going on underneath. I guess in the end I would have to recommend this simply because it isn't like anything I've had before.

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I grabbed this at DLD 08 and finally got around to drinking it.

A: Hazy orange with a thin beige head. Retention is good, and there's some lacing as well. Plenty of carbonation

S: Floral with chamomile and rose, with white pepper and cinnamon. As it warms up, the aroma of crystallized ginger appears and grows. Mild sweetness with honey and some alcohol. Decent

T/M: Opens with a combination of sweet and floral characteristics, with jasmine and chamomile. The mid palate is disappointingly watery with a mild sweetness in the form of caramel present. Dry on the finish with a mild herbal bitterness. Carbonation is on the higher side, just the way I like it. The watery palate is disappointing, though

D: Glad I got to try - and split - this beer

3.13/5  rDev -17%

This was my first Saison beer and I thought I would be pretty safe with the Three Floyd's entry. And maybe I was. Rabbit poured a cloudy, honey color with a respectable head that didn't last. Here, I will lump the aroma and taste together: There is a brand of vegetarian hot dogs out there that smell and taste just like Rabbid Rabbit. Needless to say, while that's not bad for a veggie dog, it's not what I expect and desire in a beer. Pumpkin was also present (maybe pumpkin is the veggie in the dog too). Feel was average and drinkability just above. It was only OK.

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured into a GI Matilda stem. I love the artwork on this bottle. It reminds me of the man-eating rabbits from Monty Python.

A: Poured a golden yellow with a fizzy half inch head. The head dissapated to a small ring around the glass. A small bit of lacing appeared as the glass was emptied.

S: Spicy and herbal aromas are immediately apparent. I get a sweet honey note with a bit of musty cellar too.

T: I found this to be very spicy. I can only describe them as pumpkin pie spices that carry all the way through. I get a bit of green tea as well that could be from the chamomile. Also some grassy notes. It has a sweet middle that gives way to a bit of bitterness.

M: Thin with a fairly crisp finish. The carbonation is a bit prickly.

D: While the initial glass was quaffable enough, I find I may have a hard time with finishing the rest of the bomber. The spices and sweetness are a bit overpowering. In the future this would be a bottle to split.

Notes: This has been my least favorite offering from Three Floyds thus far. I am a fan of saisons, but this one was a bit too off the mark for me to really go nuts for it.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks goes out to ratpack554 for this extra.

Although I have not come to appreciate this style yet, its still beer and I discriminate against no beer, my beer fridge is empty and I am thirsty. lol

Poured from a bomber into an oversized snifter. A rigorous por has produced about an inch, maybe less, of white fizzy head. Snap crackle pop and it has receeded to leave a sliver of white over the beer. No lace to speak of really.
The color is a pale, unfiltered darker yellow. Glowing mildly when held to light, but extra hazey and non transparent.

Aroma of fresh cut hay, some tart, semi-sweet fruity notes, loads of bready yeasts here with something earthy mixed with hay and sawdust. Mildly sour with a similarity to decomposing apples. No alcohol in the aroma.

Starting out with a mild spice, and also mild carbonation. The spice notes really pick up speed into the swallow, mixing with a mulled wine and pumpkin pie. Cinnamon, is one of the flavors that seems to stick out for me, as does a gourd like pumpkin taste. Mouthfeel is mostly thin, carbonation adds some weight to this.
Finishing light and crisp, a mild bittering into the linger with a dry fermented fruitiness that also remains mostly tart.

Interesting brew, refreshing for a hot day. This is one of the better saisons that I've had. Still, not a huge appreciator of the style, but it wasn't bad. I'd drink this again.

This beer was a murky orangish color with a nice inch head. When you smell it the first thing to note is the amount of spice put into it very pungent but welcoming.

When tasting the spices dominate at the beginning and then a kind of funky pop rock flavor comes through in the middle and the finish is very much like pumpkin pie, it was an amazing experience.

The body was medium which I thought to be really nice for the amount of alc. put into it, and much to my delight this one is an easy drinker, I'd suggest cleansing the pallet about every 8 oz for an optimum tasting experience.

Nothing like I've ever had before although it was my first saison.

Two thumbs up

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

From a trade by d0b. Great trader made it so easy on me pulling off my first trade.

No dating on the 22. Why not? I don't understand. Maybe the Rabbit is just to Rabbid.

No foaming at he mouth here. In fact there is little foam at all. Far from what you expect from the style. Barely any head develops and what does almost instantly disappears. A nice opaque gold color though.

There is something on the nose that reappears through out the entire beer, which I can't quite put my finger on. It is sort of like a cross between cinnamon gum, rotting orange and crushed mint. I can't really decide if I like it or not. It is both repulsive and intriguing. One of the weirdest things I've ever smelt in a beer.

It is also one of the weirdest things I've ever tasted in a beer. It is so persistent and lasting that it really becomes overwhelming by half way through the first glass. But, if you dig through it becomes so much more tropical and citrus-y. Pineapple and Clementine. I think what it is that there is more of the banana-ish ester quality here that I'm just unfamiliar with in this style. I like my Saisons hard, kick you in the shins hard. This is soft and flowery, almost sweet when you get down to it.

The sensation in the mouth is not unlike eating a fresh orange. The bitterness of the pith with the sweet/tart flesh overriding it. Repeat with each wedge/sip.

This grows on you after all. Once your palate succumbs the Rabbit makes you sort of Rabbid for this unusual, mind warping Saison.

Thanks again d0b. If nothing else this one made me work to review it.

2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

A- Hazy amber color, white frothy foamy head.

S- The brett smell is there for sure, right up front. Very sour and yet there is a great sweet cherry malt smell.

T- Cinnamon is very large, but there isn't much else in terms of taste. Malty with a touch of cherry, but nothing else. I'm not getting much else in terms of flavors.

M- Thin and not much else.

D- Meh, not really. The cinnamon taste is weird for a beer like this. Not digging it.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a beautiful gold with nice head.
There are some interesting spicy and fruity notes in the aroma. The taste is a whirlwind of ginger, spring fruit, and a nice dry end.
Finish is pretty crisp with some spice left after to taste.
Spices and fruit go down very smooth.

Rabbid Rabbit from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub