Rabbid Rabbit - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Rabbid RabbitRabbid Rabbit

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-2002

7.4% ABV, 25 IBUs - This Franco-Belgian style Farmhouse Ale has an effervescent body and a light straw color. Rabbid Rabbit, with it’s light malt body, augmented by spices, is a complex and frothy beverage with a deceptively high alcohol content. March release.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 969 | Reviews: 369
4.13/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I can say that I am not typically a Saison fan and in fact, had some hesitancy when opening this beer, but after my first sip I can say I am glad I did. Once again Three Floyds does not disappoint. The color was caramel in hue with minimal head and had an aroma of butter popcorn. While I was a little put of by the aroma, my reaction after my first sip was "Wow, this is a great beer." The chamomile flavor really comes through followed by a very pleasant spiciness that let me craving for more. As I drank this beer, the pairing of the aroma with the taste was extremely well balanced. Based on this beer, I might become a convert Saison fan.

4.59/5  rDev +22.1%

On tap at Hopleaf and the bartender actually did not recommend this one but being from East Coast, eager to try.

Poured into goblet from tap and extremely impressed.

A: Very nice puffy cloud head on top of a wheaty looking light orange hue. The lacing was think and continued to substantiate itself back into what head was left through the beer. Good looking beer.

A: Belgian. Yeast and coriander and something else floating around. Based on what Ive read on other reviews, apparently chamomile. I like it.

T: Here again like the aroma, belgian yeast tied nicely into this beer. The spices were nothing short of delicious. The earthiness was great and the alcohol level was a shock to me. Did not taste one bit of it.

M: A bit fizzy but chewiness was a bit higher than most belgian beers. Carbonation was appropriate.

D: As mentioned, alcohol level was shock to me. Ive really started to like the style and FFF knocked did a great job. The coriander and other spices were a real treat.

Get out and try this one. Need some in Jersey if you dont like it.

4.07/5  rDev +8.2%

A- Pours a really nice cloudy golden. Not a whole lot of head here, quickly disappears and stays around the edges of my glass. Very little to no lacing at all. Maybe a little syrupy with all the yeast that poured out at the end.

S- A tiny bit of spice, something citrus and/or sweet I can't put my finger on it.

T- A nice flavour to this one. I could pick up some wheat taste, also the yeast for sure, also mild spice at the beginning and then finishes nice and sweet.

M- I'd say medium in body and felt pretty good.

D- I'm not a huge fan of this style of brew but this was very nice and worth a try for any one. Glad I got to try this one!!

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

The color is a cloudy amber honey-like color with a thick head that settles down to a thin swirly residue on top.

Tastes like cinnamon, nutmeg and graham crackers of some kind. The mouthfeel is medium to light without feeling flat because of the robust carbonation. It definitely give a hint of sweetness but ultimately is spicy and light.

It's a highly drinkable beer. Would be perfect for a warm spring day that hasn't ridden itself of the winter cold yet (a little nippy in the air.)

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

I have no idea when this was bottled. It randomly showed up at my local beer store, and long after FFF has been sold in Ohio. Which makes me think that they found this in the back room and just threw it on the shelf. So I have some hesitations going in that this beer could be way outdated.

Poured a very light yet hazy golden color with a slightly off-white head and some tiny bubbles all throughout the head. There is a decent film that stays covering the top of the beer.

Peaches and other fruits noticeable upon smelling. Maybe apricots and definitely some cinnamon and other spices. Hazelnut too.

The first taste I notice is absolutely the cinnamon and other spices. There is a mild bitterness to wash away some of the sweetness, but overall taste is spicy and sweet. Yet I'd still say this is a well-balanced beer.

Mouthfeel is light, dry and crisp. Most of the strong flavors are very fleeting.

Drinkability on this one seems pretty good. I wouldn't have more than 2 max in one sitting as they are 22oz bombers, but this is pretty enjoyable.

This is one of my first experiences with this type of beer. I read the description of what this style should taste like before opening the bottle and I think that FFF did a great job on this one.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

Pours a hazy bright golden color with a full finger loose white head that resists fading and leaves a good amount lacing. The smell is nice. The residue from beneath the cap has a sticky cinnamon and malty graham cracker character. The smell through the pour is bright and fruity banana and pear mix. Highly carbonated, the mouth feel is light-medium bodied and creamy. The second half of the bottle is substantially cloudier. Full flavored, the taste is refreshing. Reminds me of spiced up orchard fruit. Finishes with a malty apple cinnamon after taste that lingers nicely. I'm not able to find the 9% ABV. A real easy drinker. Recommend taking it for a spin.

Thanks to DavidEddie for the opportunity to consider this one!

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Muddy honey color, forced pour to a 2 finger head that quickly disappeared.

Smell: Lime,orange,sweet malt and spicy hops.

Taste: Delicious. An amazing, very late tart finish.

Mouthfeel: Super smooth, a tad on the flat side. Coarse.

Drinkability: VERY easy to drink. I would love to do a side by side with this beer and Hennepin. Maybe next week?

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Burnt orange body with fluffy head, this starts of as a good looker.

Smell is very unique. Powerful cinnimon aroma with nutmeg and Belgian yeast are the stars of this show. Tastes like it smells, big cinnimon punch with some Belgian sweetness, somewhat spicy, has a candy taste to it. Feel is about where it should be, a little high on the carbonation.

This does not seem high in the ABV area but this is a one and done beer. So many flavors ruin the palate for anything else. That being said, it is still fun to drink. Not as good as some of the other FFFs, not as hyped either. I'd recommend it if you are looking something different from a good brewery.

4.74/5  rDev +26.1%

2007 spring release. (Black cap)

Pours a deep orange with a white head. Sticky lacing hangs around. Has a sweet smell of a graham cracker pie crust, nutmeg and citrus. Tastes of cinnamon, other spices, banana, and citrus (mainly lemon) hops. Finishes slightly dry and crisp. The 9% ABV is hidden extremely well. Mouthfeel is smooth and moderately carbonated. Drinkability is great. Has a nice refreshing quality to it, like a spiced up Gumballhead. I love how this smells and tastes, truly unique. If it wasn't for the high ABV and the price tag, I could easily enjoy this one all night long. Highly recommended!

From Notes: Crimson sunset with a nice slightly off white head of foam. foam sticks around nicely and is easily revived with the easiest of swirl techniques. Aromas of spice, and a slight Belgian saison summery funk. A nice interplay of spicy malts and home grown malts with an atypical green hop resiny three floyds amarillo twist. Taste is spicy up front with a nice yeast and malt character, but the hops are there too. to me, this is Three Floyds major brewing fault and success. They really do have a trademark flavor. None of their beers taste to different from one another, but than again, they are all pretty damn nice and drinkable. This one features a smooth prickly carbonation and a great mouthfeel that lends to a nice drinkability. Nice.

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice hazy orange, with a smell that at first is all butter. It then starts to smell like home-cooked cinnamon buns, then cinnamon toast, then the smell that you get when you walk by the Cinnabon in the mall. You get the picture. The taste is perfumy, some spice, ok. Interesting beer but rock candy and chamomile did strange things.

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from the 22 oz brown bomber (no freshness date) into a pint glass. This produced a nice 1" white pillowy head. This dissipated fairly redily to a clumpy cap leaving some lace with slight stickage. The beer is a slightly cloudy yellow/orange.

Aroma: Good aroma.... a lot like a belgian... bready, yeasty with a good spicey nose.... spicier in the nose than most belgians I've tried. The spices are cinnemon and nutmeg and there's that chamomile.

Taste: Alot like the smell! Kind of like a Heffewiesen on steroids. Yeasty and spicey.... lots of nutmeg and flowery. The alcohol (if it really is 9% abv... nowhere indicated on the bottle) is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel: I would prefer a creamier mouthfeel... but that's just me. This is NOT as fizzy as most belgians.... but carbonation is still on the slightly high side. This ale has a thin-ish body.

Drinkability: This is a unique ale.... it's my FIRST Saison... so I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe it's not my favorite.... but I think it accomplishes everything it wants to according to the label.

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

22 oz. bomber, bought from the Walnut Liquorette, in Walnut, CA,

A: Pours a hazy orange, with a nice firm, white head, which leaves a nice ring and remnants in the glass, some floaties, but I think that was my fault, a little too vigourous pour.

S: Heavy cinnamon, nutmeg, wildflower honey, and orange.

T: At first I was taken aback, not what I was expecting in a saison, expecting something similar to Dupont, but got something similar to a Winter Warmer. Nice cinnamon notes, nutmeg, and a distinct meady, honey charcteristic, possibly from the chamomile, but I'm not sure. Saison is a kind of a free-for-all style, IMO, and 3 Floyds has certainly made an interesting take on the style.

M: Light and smooth, though you can definitely feel the 9% by the end of the beer and at the end of each sip.

D: A tasty, though very unique offering from 3 Floyds. A little too pricey where I'm from, but I'd definitely pick up another bomber if I was in the Midwest.

4.37/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I received this beer in a trade from jdoolin. I poured from a 24 oz bottle into a oversized wine glass whilst watching The Sopranos.

Pours a one finger white head, on top of a semi-opaque honey colored body.

A big aroma of nutmeg of all things. There is a very light malt presence with a touch of honey. A very pleasant aroma.

Dry, though with a touch of sweetness. The alcohol is very subtle and slightly warming. Again with the nutmeg and honey. A very unique taste. The taste could be more pronounced, but the intermingling of flavors couldn't be better.

One knock I have on this beer is that it feels very thin. Lightly carbonated for a Belgian.

A big beer with hug drinkability. Extremely unique. I wish I could get FFF in Tallahassee.

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Hazy pale bronze body that pours with a decent white head. Head eventually fades completely leaving behind very little lacing in the glass. Fogginess is uniform throughout and very dense.

S- Smell is subtle but quite Belgian in nature. A big sweet, bready yeast smell is upfront with lots of cinnamon and clove.

T- Starts off pretty well. A zing of citrus is upfront with hints of spices and lots of yeast to balance it. The citrus zing soon leaves and everything about this beer changes. A healthy dose of cinnamon and an overabundance of bready malt and yeast come forth. I'm one that loves a bread character in my beers but this one has gone too far. The flavor is cloying and hard to swallow. It lingers on and on.

M- Mouthfeel is a bit thicker than I like but is still smooth and creamy. Low to medium carbonation.

D- This is certainly out of character for a saison. I was looking forward to trying this brew from FFF and was pretty disappointed. It was difficult to drink my 750ml bottle of it. I will definitely not purchase this one again.

3.94/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer pours a cloudy orange. No head or lacing.

This smells like a pumpkin ale. Cinnamon and citrus are apparent.

Taste again reminds me of a pumpkin beer. I literally had do a double take of the bottle to make sure I hadn't mis-poured one. This beer is bready, sweet , and not much ABV makes it through.

Mouthfeel is is thick , carbonation is low.

Not really what I expected, although it was enjoyable.

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance - a light clouded orange pour. Very little head until I increase the pour distance. Even then, we're under a finger. Soapy and creamy cover with sticky rings.

Aroma - tons of aroma. Heavy, buttery and drapy, the yeast and chamomile make for strange partners. Buttered ginger? It's more flowery than spicy but has this honey/caramel bit that is either intriguing or disturbing, I haven't yet decided...

Taste - similar to the smell. Honey, ginger, yeasty. A rather sweet take on a Saison. Nothing farmhouse but I do get some peppery notes and for some reason the flavor and aroma remind me of fireworks gunpowder. Floral, citrusy, but no hop bitterness on the swallow. A bit of an alcohol flavor that blends in well. As it warms, cinnamon flavors emerge, putting it right in line with those pumpkin beers I seek out every fall. Comparatively, I think this is more closely related to that style. Still tasty, regardless.

Mouthfeel - "medium plus" body, subdued carbonation.

Drinkability - an interesting pick for a beer tasting. A bit of an outlier for Saisons; this would feel more at home among pumpkin or fall seasonal beers.

4.04/5  rDev +7.4%

22 ounce bottle. Served in an oversized wine glass, the beer pours a clear golden orange color with a very small white head which went away very quickly. No lacing at all. The aroma is very sweet, it smells like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, candy sugar and orange. Taste is sweet and spicy, it tastes pretty much the same way it smells except for the addition of some apricot and apples. Mouthfeel/body is medium and creamy, with a good bit of carbonation. Drinkability is good, it goes down very smooth and easy. The 9% ABV isn't very noticable. It's not exactly a traditional saison, but I'm not complaining! Overall I think it's a good and solid beer.

3.84/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy honey color with a head that disappears quickly and leaves a few dots of lace

Smell: Rich butterscotch, toffee, bananas, cinnamon, coriander and allspice

Taste: Spice cake up front, with all of the aromas being incorporated into the malty flavors; the rock candy makes an appearance, as well, with a sweet but mineral-like flavor; I guess that is chamomile that is swirling in my mouth, too, with a mentholated aspect; after the swallow, some nice earthy drying hops appear to balance out all of the sweet things

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low carbonation

Drinkability: Not sure what is going on with the mouthfeel and carbonation of this brew, but I am not the only poster to note the problem; this is not a Saison, in the BJCP sense of the style, but it has great potential if the Floyds can fix the carbonation problem that seems to plague this brew

Thanks, aslamm75, for the chance to re-visit in 2013 - better carbonation though it still didn't capture the Belgian style; I do like the flavor profile, however

3.82/5  rDev +1.6%

this was a cloudy apricot in color with some particulates. very complex aroma, dessert-like. flowery honey, pecan pie (this is what came to mind), along with what some of us thought was cinnamon, cloves, nuts, and citrus. i know i'm saying cinnamon, but this is the only conclusion we could all agree on even though none of us have ever smelled cinnamon in a beer. upon checking the label afterwards i discovered that it was chamonile and rock candy. moderately sweet taste balanced out by a bit of tartness and bitterness. medium to full in body. drinkability suffers a bit due to the high abv. this would be great with any dessert, or with pancakes at breakfast.

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

Split a 22 oz. bomber with my good friend, kboett77. Poured into an ale glass.

A: Slightly hazy honey-gold with a thin, white head. Not a lot of head retention.

S & T: Wow! What's here? Grass, cinnamon, orange, cherries. Sugar cookies with frosting, yeast, apricot, chamomile. So many things going on! It took us a while to piece all these things out. Great character, travels well.

M: Bright, continuous fizz in the mouthfeel. Complements the exciting flavors and aromas well.

D: What an interesting brew. Not sure if this is strictly a Saison, but it's still great to drink. I suggest taking some time with it, and enjoying it with a friend or two, so you can compare all the things you get in here. Will definitely return to this one!

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a crystal clear light amber with minimal head and minimal lacing. Aroma is mulling spices and sweet malts. Taste is somewhere between a hot cider and a strong ale, with lots of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and sugary sweetness. Enjoyable beer, but sweetness makes it slightly sticky in the mouth. Overall, one full pint was enough for my session, but I could see drinking it again. Would rather have it on a nice autumn day than in the spring, but that's just my preference.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Medium orange with some head. Pleasant citrus and cinammon and corriander aroma, and taste. If there were gradients in the important taste rating, it would be higher than a 3.5 average rating. Not very complex, still pleasant, refreshing and quite drinkable. Thanks Crushinator,A good saison in many ways, however I have had bolder and more varied taste and aromas saisons, what a great style.

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance:
The beer pours a glowing golden color. There isn't much head to note and the only head I managed to get from the beer was kind of a creeper which I suspect is from the agitator in my glass. With no head there isn't any lacing to note.

Smell:
Warm with a lot of mulling spice character which to my knowledge is cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. I'd call it a combination of cinnamon toast crunch, banana bread, and cider. Very warm, full, and pleasant for the most part although I don't think I would call it very indicative of the style. Maybe an American saison designation is in order.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
I feel like I just took a big bite of banana bread. The beer is smooth and a touch slick. There really isn't a whole lot of tart earthiness to the beer. Spices really dominate this beer with only a snap of sweet apple bitterness in the end of the drink. The finish is bready with a parallel of cinnamon which carries in to the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
At 9% ABV I'd say this beer hides it better than any beer I've ever had of this strength. This would be an amazing fall and winter beer but it still drinks pretty easy on a sunny July day.

Bottom Line:
A far cry from a saison in terms of roots but this is a solid beer that certainly has the FFF touch to it. If I could review it as an American saison or something to that effect it would have done better but it's not really fair to pit this against Saison Dupont and call it a true stab at the style.

22oz bomber capped and graced by a giant mutant rabbit. Pours a cloudy, dim gold color with an abundant amount of sediment lilting around in there. The head is quite forceful initially, almost as if it had be corked. It eventually forms into a stiff cappuccino dome, but recedes surprisingly quickly.

The smell is warm and dry, dominated by yeast, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg--not exactly what I would expect from a Saison. The flavor also goes against the norm, those spices up front, along with a hint of cocoa, followed by a flare of sugary candy, a touch of dark fruit, a nip of orange peel, and loads of malt. A little clove also asserts itself at the end, and the alcohol is well under control.

It's light-bodied and not quite as complex as I was hoping. It's interesting on the tongue, but the ride is pretty short-lived. It's drinkable, though gets a little sappy on the tongue and lips after about a pint's worth.

This beer goes against the expectations of the style, and I don't think that is a bad thing--the label screams twice "It's not normal." And it isn't. It's a different, satisfying take on Saison.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Rabbid Rabbit from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.