Rabbid Rabbit - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

7.4% ABV, 25 IBUs - This Franco-Belgian style Farmhouse Ale has an effervescent body and a light straw color. Rabbid Rabbit, with it’s light malt body, augmented by spices, is a complex and frothy beverage with a deceptively high alcohol content. March release.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-2002)
4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

This orange beer shows a lot of carbonation in the body and a flufffy white head that leaves ample amounts of lace. Sweet candyish aroma with a little yeastiness there as well. And a little pepper and a little lemon. Nice taste. It's got the bready yeast thing going on. It's got that lemon pepper thing going on. A little bit of a hop presence. Slight bitterness on the aftertaste. Great stuff. The carbonation isn't overly active on the palate. It's good enough to give a little scrubbing power though. Medium bodied and quite flavorful. Very drinkable.

Bighuge, Oct 28, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

It pours a slightly hazy golden amber. A figner of light beige head deflates to fine surface froth. Splats of lacing flick the inside of the glass.

The aroma boasts a deep, swarthy sweetness butressed by brown sugar and caramel. A light vinous touch and ethereal floral note pad the periphery.

Upon tasting, there's a lip-smacking caramel malt sweetness, amped further by a cloying rock sugar candy charge. A warm and unusual floral herbal glow of chamomille comes intriguingly through. A lesser malt sweet remnant veers into a somewhat abrupt dry bitterness, which lingers fairly in the finish. The flavor is different, but doesn't suffer terribly for the departure.

Medium bodied, the syrupy, thick cloying nature lays slick on the palate, but drops away right on time.

A saison, huh? Well, if so, it's a densely sweet and uniquely spiced saison. The bledning helps it aspire to being basic, but in a rather distinct fashion. It's fun while it lasts, but the sugary character keeps it just moderately drinkable in the absence of any overtly mitigating factors. So I don't know about rabid saison, but it is a different sort of experience.

Foxman, Oct 23, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

A- 1/4" off white head. Clear orange golden color. Basically no lacing at all.
S- Floral, wheat, and very light malts are all in there. Also light fruits come through. Smells a bit yeasty also.
T- Some weak fruits, wheaty taste. Light breads. Big on yeast side and then has floral hops to help balance it out. Very light bitter in aftertaste. Couple flavors I can't put finger on.
M- Medium to full body, light to medium carbonation. Maybe a bit sticky and chewy.
D- I like it a lot. After having a fantome though it made me relize its not a to good example of the style but it is good. Almost like a Gumball Head on steroids.

BlindPig, Oct 20, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Well I’m a tad bummed with this brew. It’s better as it warms, but still, I’m just not impressed.

Crystal clear amber pour to start, but by end of bottle the swirl added a nice hazy yeast bomb.

Fruity in the aroma and taste, but wow, a quirky orange bubble-gum dominated the taste-buds. Very sweet and gummy brew, it just doesn’t cut it as a saison. And for freakin’ $9 a bomber – brother, I’ll spend my money elsewhere next time.

Vancer, Oct 18, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks for the great trade - mynie!

After reading much talk about Three Floyds beer, this was my first opportunity to try one. I loved the packaging – quite unique being able to have a beer that’s “rabbid”.

It poured from the large bottle into a traditional pint glass. The color was an unfiltered hazy caramel or rust with obvious small amounts of sediment apparent (floaties). The off-white head fizzled out quickly after the initial pour leaving no real lacing or halo.

It had a complex nose of super sweet candies, mixed fruits and underlying caramel – lots of stuff going on there.

This was a good tasting, medium to full-bodied sweet (& sour?) beer. I am not a huge fan of the Saison style of beers, but for what it’s worth this was a well-balanced ale with very little hint of alcohol, despite the high ABV. It definitely left me feeling like it was a quality brewed beer…

Now I can’t wait to try more 3F’s - in the times to come.

beachbum1975, Oct 08, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours bright orange in color with not much of a head, which is not surprising considering the high alcohol content. Still, carbonation seems to be a bit lacking.

S - Initially, this smells very grassy, likely from the hops. A subdued sweetness is also present in the form of dark fruits and a lot of cherry. Alcohol is also very apparent.

T - Nice! Starts off with a mild spice, clove and cinnimon, and transitions into a nice candy-like medium malt. The grassy hops are there, but not all that heavy. Alcohol, despite what my nose told me, doesn't dominate the taste as I was expecting. All in all, fairly light in flavor, but still good.

M - Medium bodied, but the lack of carbonation really hurts it here.

D - Good. Nice flavor and not overbearing. Easy drinker.

SethB2, Sep 28, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

I was excited about his being my first three floyds. Poured a rust color with a little bit of orange and red mixed in. No head to speak of. Not to familiar with saisons at all but i was really impreseed. Was a little too cold, needed ot warm up some to get the full taste of the beer. Was very sweet, must be do to the rock candy but overall it was quite good.

TrickKnee, Sep 27, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

My first 3 Floyds beer. I poured the Rabbit into an oversized wine glass. There really was not much head retention to speak of. There was a fair amount of lacing on the glass though.

The smell was sweet and malty. There was a bit of hops present too. Also some fruity esthers as well.

In the taste there were actually a lot of sweet, carmel malty notes up front, and hops in the back. Fairly clean finish, with a hint of sour apple in the end. Slightly yeasty, and also spicy/peppery throughout. Slightly dissapointing mouthfeel.

This was a good, not great saison, but I'd definitely drink it again. Also, paired very nicely with an aged gouda. From what the owner of the store (B&C Liquors in Smithfield, RI) I bought it at told me, 3 Floyds is ending their distribution to RI, which was the only place to find it out here. Too bad.

tboom29, Sep 22, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was a strange experience for me. I could'nt find Rabbid Rabbit in Cincinnati or Indiana. On a trip to Philly I found a few bottles at the Foodery. What the?

The beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Apperance: The beer poured a hazy gold copper tinged coloration. The head was two fingers high. The head was fluffy and long lasting.

Smell: What happened to the smell? The beers smell was almost not present. The beer has faint floral/ herbal tea smells.

Taste: I was seriously disappointed with this beer. This was like drinking a very weak sweet Celestial Seasons herbal tea. Frankly this beer was not brewed to my taste.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is slightly less than medium bodied. The beer has a dry peppery finish. The beer is a bit too subtle and sweet for my taste. This was a strange beer experience for me. This is a Three Floyds beer I dont like and will not buy again. I suggest to my other BA's to drink something else.

nlmartin, Sep 10, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

From a large brown bomber with no freshness dating. The beer pours a hazy dark gold/bronze with an eggshell colored head. Some ok lacing as you drink the beer.

The nose is pungent and smells like apricots, candy and green apples. Some subtle spicing/herbs adds to the enjoyment. Mouthwatering beer here.

The taste almost reminds me a bit of a cider. More apricots, pear and apple in the taste. The beer is slightly sweet and there is a bit of spiciness in the background, but I think they could have pushed up that part of the flavor profile. The beer has an almost chalky quality that is interesting and a bit different. As the beer warms an almost old straw taste emerges (better than it sounds).

The mouth is slick with low carbonation. I like this beer, but it would be a once and a while beer for me. I paid $9.99 at Sam’s in Downers Grove. Seems a bit high priced, but I’m glad I got to try it.

Redrover, Sep 09, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Head is thin and the lacing isn't very strong. The color is very clear crisp and orangish brown. Smell is fruity and aromatic with orange flavors mixed with a smell I can only describe as Saison. The taste is hoppy and lightly fruity. The mouthfeel is a little too carbonated and has a small amount of bite to it. Overall this is very drinkable and I would like to have another.

Erdinger2003, Sep 09, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

Cloudless azure with lavender highlights beneath a fluffy mint green and boysenberry cap. Not really, but I thought I'd stay true to the psychedelic Easter egg motif of the label. Actually, the beer is gaudy pumpkin orange and is positively radiant when backlit. Miniscule, incredibly slow moving bubbles rise through a cloud of fine yeast and bump into the bottom of a creamy head of pale pastel orange. Melty sea foam lace looks okay, but could be more abundant.

Amazingly (not to mention disappointingly), the nose is very nearly a no-show. How is it possible for a beer brewed with such aromatic herbs to be so unaromatic? I would think that one or more of them would make some sort of impression. Mildy fruity and ever so slighty yeasty... I guess.

It's hard to imagine a Three Floyds beer, at 9% no less, being this soft and subtle on the palate. I almost said 'unimpressive', but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet; I'll see what happens as it warms up a little. First of all, Rabbid Rabbit is nothing like any other Three Floyds beer that I've ever had. Neither is it anything like any Belgian or French saison that I've ever had. In other words, it's a true original, for better or for worse.

There's a modest pale malt sweetness and almost no hoppiness beneath the primary flavor of flower petals. Bitterness is progressive throughout each mouthful, however, so there are definitely alpha acids working behind the scenes. By far the dominant flavor is of flowery herbs and spices. In particular, coriander, lavender, chamomille and rose hips. Those last three sound like ingredients in perfume, not pedal-to-the-metal Three Floyds beer. That'd be fine if was kick ass beer. But it ain't.

Other than coriander, which is identifiable, I have no idea how the others taste so I can't say which ones actually make a contribution. I don't mind strange ingredients in my beer, and have had quite a few good gruits along the way, but Rabbid Rabbit is just too 'Grandma's potpourri' for me to find much enjoyment. The flavors are a little more vivid as the beer warms (as is the aroma), for what that's worth.

The body/mouthfeel is medium in a general sense, with a slick feel that's especially noted on the finish, and is sparsely bubbled. I don't mind it really, but it's so far afield from what I believe a saison should be that I have no choice but to dock it a half point for style ignorance.

I hesitated over this bomber of Rabbid Rabbit Saison because the $10.99 price tag gave me temporary sticker shock. In a way, I'm glad that it was so expensive because it kept me from buying a half case as originally planned. The bottom line (for me at least) is that this rabbit is more like a fluffy little bunny than the hair-trigger hare depicted on the label. A rare Three Floyds disappointment.

BuckeyeNation, Sep 08, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Living across the Ohio River from Indiana, I come across a few of the Three Floyds beers on a regular basis but Gumballhead seems to be the only readily available TF brew to be found in the Evansville area. I found the Rabid Rabbit in Clarksville, on a sidetrip through Louisville, last weekend. This pours a hazy apricot body with a modest, offwhite head that totally disappears, without lacing, after a few minutes. A second pour, to no surprise, revitalizes the appearance.

Aroma is dominated by caramel, bubblegum, and banana pudding, not exactly what I would expect from a good Saison. Signature Three Floyds hops are not even at play here. There are some nice floral and herbal notes here which suggest the style.

Mouthfeel is medium, with an out of place syrupy sweetness. Carbonation is medium.

Taste is pleasant, and kind of unique. Hops are spicy and herbal. Good floral bitterness, and the malt presence is assertively caramel. Some hints of pepper and coriander, but this really tastes more like a modified Dubbel than a Saison. Finishes on the herbal hops bitterness side of things.

Not a true Saison, but typically a solid offering from one of the best breweries in America's Heartland. I'm certain that I will try this one again.

merlin48, Sep 08, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +24.7%

This pours hazy copper, with a bouyant speckling of sediment that looks like sawdust. My slow pour only offers a ring of foam.

Smells quite good to me - a bit off the path of a saison, as you would expect from the crew at FFF, but as they usually do (to my tastes), they have done a very good job of pushing the limits, and making a beverage more enjoyable than ever.

Taste - same thing. I pick up banana, and some dark spice. It overall tastes sweet. Candy sugar? I don't know. The alcohol is WELL hidden - it is only noticed by the thickness, not the taste. Hops are hardly presnet, but lurking there to clean things up at the finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy. Quite good.

Finish is also creamy, slightly watery at the end. It goes down leaving no aftertaste, just noticing a bit of alcohol.

Well, this is another winner from FFF for me. I'd recommend it to anybody looking for a good beer that isn't heavily hopped and slightly sweet.

Update: I keep going back to this beer. Too bad it is $10 a bottle, but I guess I can get 2 or 3 and have them over the next several months as special treats.

The part that brings me back is that is IS different. Sweet, but not a fruit-beer. Creamy. Balanced. Clean. Refereshing. Yummy. It just hits the spot.

...After revisiting this several times I have updated the mouthfeel from a 4 to a 4.5... It is really creamy.

karengarys, Sep 05, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

served in a wide mouth goblet. I normally love Three Floyd's, but I was disappointed by this one.

Pours a golden peach color with 1 finger loose light peach head. Light carbonation. Yeast suspened well.

Smells primarily yeasty/bready with carmel malts, cloves, citrus, and a light grassy/earthy quality.

Tastes like weak herbal tea and not the good stuff. Brief vague sweetness, slight peppery finish. No fruity goodness. Lacked that funky yeast goodness that I've grown to love in other saisons that I have had. Earthy, floral hops present. Very light toasted malt present.

Medium bodied, too oily of a mouthfeel, too syrupy sweet without malty good flavor. The spices lingered too long and seemed to become bitter, in a bad way.

Looks good and smells good, but I can't say something is really drinkable if I don't like the taste. I realize Three Floyd's isn't normal, but this one isn't working well for me. I do; however, like the bottle art.

laintringulis, Sep 03, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

If they would just call it a Belgian Style ale, I wouldn’t be such a hard critic, but a saison it is not. An ok low 3’s Belgian style, but as a saison, it misses the mark, especially in the appearence and mouthfeel department. Why would I buy this, when I can get Blaugies for the same price?

Crosling, Sep 03, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

22oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" beige head over the clear amber brew. Head lasts nicely, with heavy sticky lacing. Aroma is spicy sweetness. Taste is sweet malts upfront, with spices kicking and haning out through the rest of the experience, with a warming swallow. Reminds me somewhat of a sedate tripel. Mouthfeel and drinkability both very nice. It may not be normal, but I'd drink it often.

ppoitras, Sep 02, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -9%

Bomber purchased at the new northern Foodery location in Philly. Couldn't find any freshness indication. The second glass from the bottle was very cloudy due to a respectable yeast load on the bottom of the bottle. This is a strange and differant brew, they put chamomile tea in it and it tastes of it. Sort of a sweat, yeasty, malty, off-kilter American heartland attempt at a Saison. I did pick up some more typical Belgian phenolics, but they are muddled and jumbled into this one. Not my favorite Three Floyds or Saison. Most likely would never purchase this one again.

Billolick, Aug 30, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Brew has a deep glow with ruby orange hues. There's almost no head, with a slight lacing forming on the surface and swirling into oblivion. Large carbonation bubbles scattered throughout, clumping to some sections of the glass.

The inital scent is earthy but floral with a slight tea smell. The 2nd pass through after letting it breathe a bit gives hints of a subtle alcohol tinge and a sweet, juice-based aroma.

The first taste is unlike any other beer i have tasted - reminds me of a spicy halloween-time apple cider with a splash of orangle peel and cloves.
The spicyness and alcohol presence are making it tough to drink too much of it.

Side note: this is the 2nd Three Foyds beer I have had. I love the Dreadnaught but would probably not buy this again. I feel like they are reaching a bit too much in making a wacky unconventional beer - leave that to DFH and the like. Its really off the beaten path for a saison.

kmudrick, Aug 26, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

appearance: Pours a moderate, bottom-fed white head that falls back to just a thin layer on top and a ring around the glass. The beer is a somewhat hazy burnished copper color.

smell: A big sweetness of light grain upfront, with notes of candi sugar, passionfruit, orange, and maybe a touch of something buttery. Gentle hop aroma with only the slightest indication of alcohol.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is high, and the body medium. Just a touch too heavy on the tounge I feel.

taste: At first I find flavors of sweet, light grains, a touch of toasted malt, and some light fruits. The chamomile is obvious, but only after reading the bottle. Light, aged hop flavor and bitterness. There's also something that reminds me of those coconut sprinkled peach candies I like so much. Not too complex, but pretty solid. A little on the sweet side and without much depth of character for a saison, however.

drinkability: The 1/2 bomber was no problem.

bomber split with dirtylou during my stay in Madison

blackie, Aug 15, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

22oz bomber, purchased at Riley's a while back, split with Blackie

appearance: chaliced, hazy peach body, frothy beige-white head, light lacing, a general dull orange haze

smell: sweet and floral, lots of different candied fruit - peach, apricot, orange, berry, lemon...well spiced, toasted malt, light alcohol

taste: lots of sweet fruit with a candy peach flavor dominating, lemony, berry, apricot, tangerine-orange citrus, melon...strongly spiced, sweet toasted malt, a touch doughy, peppery, yeasty, adequately hopped, moderate alcohol presence...Not my favourite FFF effort and not my favourite saison, but worth the try

mouthfeel: spiced, medium body, moderate alcohol presence

drinkability: pretty good

dirtylou, Aug 15, 2006

Picked up in Chicago. Pours a hazy dark orange, medium white head forms, good retention and nice lacing. Smell is sweet, wheat, floral, strawberries, some spice, yeast. Taste is wheat up front, floral and strawberry, chamomile and lavender, some vanilla, little bit weak in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, very smooth. Not my favourite 3F, but an interesting experiment.

Viggo, Aug 13, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

One of my two bottles I picked up waiting in line for Dark Lord.

Appearance- A golden yet slightly toasted banana amber hue met with some suspended yeast more toward the bottom of my tulip glass. Ona and a half finger head reatains for little more than a minute with hardly any film.

Smell- The combination of rock condy and chammomile is very nice and unique. This maintains the traditional Belgian herbal aroma with some American flair.

Taste- A great medium sugary herbal prfile forms immediatley. Light, summery fruits mix with sugars and oddball herbs that are to describe in detail but are indeed very sweet and more specifically apple like.

Mouthfeel- A tart and earthy beginning and finish. Very sweet saison if I do say so. Mild carbination and a little dry. But good dry.

scruffwhor, Aug 11, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

a - golden color, slightly hazy, nice white head with good retention, moderate lacing

s - fruity and malty, lots of banana, sweetness from the rock candy evident, smell is somewhat reminiscent of a hefe

t - very malty, sweetness pervades, very little hop character and/or bitterness which is strange coming from FFF, abrupt finish that is dominated by malty sweetness, alcohol is hidden

m - very little carbonation, actually I found it a bit too flat, light-bodied, fairly dry finish

d - quite drinkable, the alcohol is not detectible at all in the taste, the taste kept me interested

I really enjoyed this beer. Very different from any other FFF brew I've had. I expected there to be a much more prominent hop character after trying several other FFF beers, but the hoppy bitterness was absent. A very solid example of a saison in my opinion; not a great one, but a solid one. I'll definitely get this one again.

WeisGuy, Aug 09, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Poured into a Chimay Goblet - nice 1 inch head that quickly dissipated into virtually nothing. Not a prob lets get to the tasting...

Smell: All I can say is earthy - sweetly earthy - not likened to the Belgian Saisons...

Taste: Definitely a Saison (or is this a Tripel). The Malt and Sweetnedd reminds me of Tripel Karmeliet - and that is a good thing for me...

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation - but more and more getting a bit sweet and sticky...

Drinkability: I could drink many of these - not as good as what Dupont has to offer but these guys know what they are doing and this is a great american interpretation...

gpcollen1, Aug 07, 2006