Behemoth Blonde Barleywine - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Behemoth Blonde BarleywineBehemoth Blonde Barleywine

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Barleywine |  10.50% ABV

A huge, sweet Barley Wine with complex caramel malt notes, balanced by generous hopping and a high alcohol content. This fruity and malty beer is best enjoyed while keeping warm in the brutal winter months.

2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, hands not skull on flat finish label (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2009 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2010 Bottle release - Green Wax
2011 Bottle release - White Wax
2011 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, glossy label, skull on label (Ohio only)
2012 Bottle release - Red Wax
2013 Bottle release - Orange Wax
2014 Bottle release - Blue wax

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-04-2002)
4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

(2011 White Wax)

A= Kind of has a amber color, Head kind of disappeared fast, Some lacing

S= To me I get sweet nose, I smell the carmel malts but it's pretty sweet don't really smell the alcohol in this one.

T= Sweet but not overpowering, The fruits are nice in this one. nice carmel backbone.

M= Right amount of carbonation, Beer finishes nice and smooth really great.

D= Drinkablity is really good, It is a pretty high dollar bottle but it's a nice beer to try going to get a few more to age.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

2010 vintage

A. Pours a hazy amber with half finger head that dissipates to a film leaving some residual lacing.

S. Caramel malt with apple cider notes alongside pine and citrus hop notes with a good amount of apparent booze left.

T. A good amount of caramel malt backbone, but not as much as a good English barleywine (i.e. I don't think this would hold up for 10 year + aging like the good examples of English versions). There's still a decent amount of piney and grapefruit bitterness, but not as much as the nose would suggest. Booze is there, but not overwhelming. The balance still sits in favor of hop flavor, but the caramel malt backbone almost balances it out.

M. Fairly thick with a medium plus level of carbonation that prevents it from sitting on your tongue too much. Not bad, but I really prefer a nice thick barleywine.

D. Seems more like an aged DIPA to me. I'm not a huge fan of American barleywines, but I thought a year of age (or more) would really help round this out. I've got a 2008 still aging so that'll be the final test for this beer.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

purchased a 1/2 growler (32oz) at Party Town in KY for $9.50. Consumed within 12hrs.

poured into my New Belgium glass

Pours a deep copper color with about an inch of golden froth
Smells of some pine-y, not quite citrus-y hops melded with some malty sweetness

Taste follows with some initial bite of the hops upfront which transitions into some of the malty sweetness. Honestly, the flavor profile was a bit less complex than I was hoping for. Certainly less sweet than many in this category.

It does finish fairly sweet and the mouthfeel is where this beer shines for me. Nice and silky with just the right amount of carbonation.

I could drink this beer more...$9.50 for 32oz for a growler is much more doable than $16.99 for 22oz. That's a bit steep for my everyday drinker and does affect my rating. This is the first time I've seen it on tap and if it does show up again I may be able to handle $0.30 an oz rather than $0.77. Overall another quality offering from FFF

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Served on tap at Three Floyds.
Served in a snifter.

From the menu: An intense ale, brewed to wine strength. Floral and citrus notes blend with robust maltiness producing a complex and warming beer. 80 IBU 10% ABV.

I've had many bottles of this and I'm surprised to see I never reviewed it. I drank the hell out if the 2009 vintage, and was sad that the 2010 didn't see much distribution. I managed to grab some bottles of the 2011, which I plan on drinking sooner than later. I've always prefered Behemoth fresh. It does develop well, and I enjoyed the 2007 bottle I recently had... But I like it with the hops in full effect.

Deep deep deep copper color. Off-white head of a finger is thick and creamy. Retention is strong an lacing is bountiful.

Smells sweet an malty with some big citrus hops. The floral notes really compliment the rest of the bouquet.

Taste is very sweet up front-- big malt bill on this one! Caramel and toffee hit big with a light toasty breadiness in the background. As we move further back on the tongue, the hops explode with citrusy grapefruit and floral notes. A slightly earthy note keeps the flavor grounded (haha) before the strong, assertive bitterness lingers on the finish.

A slightly syrupy feel comes through, despite ample carbonation. The sugar coats my teeth and tingles on my tongue as it dances with the alcohol. A little warmth on the finish is welcome and pleasant. The beer itself isn't boozy, but it is warming.

This is a great beer. I love it fresh with the hops really potent. In my experience, this beer is best fresh, or after 2 years. It has a "dumb phase" in between that I don't care for as much.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

2011, At Yogi's in Bloomington, IN

A: Deep ruby red/amber color. A beautiful beer

S: Sweet toffee-like smell, malty, a hint of hops and booze

T: Hoppy, malts and toffee are present. On the sweeter side, not too much booze up front.

M/D Easily drinkable, very sweet and not as much alcohol as I expected there to be. A tasty brew.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

2011 vintage poured cold from the tap to a 12oz goblet a deep, dark and semi opaque caramel brown with a full finger, foamy off white head with nice retention and lace to the rim.

aroma of great big piney hops up front with hints of sweet toffees in the wayback.

as advertised to the nose, hops big and in front, then moving to the side for the equally huge sweet toffee malts. floral hops evident as the glass warms a bit and the balance of the beer becomes a bit more even.

low carbonation, hot, mild bitter up front, sweet following quickly thereafter, smooth and creamy til the bottom of the glass.

drinkable - sure, as long as you're sitting on a stool for a while.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2010 bottle (green wax). Poured from a bomber into a dimpled mug. Deep, slightly hazed amber pour with a thin and creamy beige cap. The aroma drips with fruitiness - from mango, to peaches, to apricot, to pear. Also in the nose, bready caramel malts some alcohol, and a massive amount of hops. But it is the tropical fruit note that makes this really special! Taste includes loads of fresh tropical fruit like mango, melon, and other fruits, piney bitter hops balance perfectly, and lead to sweet caramel towards the finish, with the alcohol not all that detectable. Chewy, resiny finish with loads of tropical fruit and lingering bitterness. Creamy full body with soft carbonation throughout. Probably one of the best American barleywines I ever had as I am not a fan of the style. This beer was yet another Three Floyds hallmark in terms of flavor - great aroma, body, use of "sugar" in taste, and finish.

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

a: cloudy amber

s: citrusy hops

t: juiciness with a strong hop accent. a slight bit of malts on the tail end. A vein of sweetness throughout.

m: very nice. low carbonation. medium body

d: fairly drinkable but the alcohol wins in the end by TKO.

My only other barleywine experience is Bigfoot so I still need to expand my experience in this category. The price would likely prevent me from partaking in this on a regular basis but glad I got a chance to try it. I recommend trying this at least once.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours ruby red with a touch of brown, almost like a cognac. Little bit of head that disipates quickly. Not a whole lot of lace develops in glass.

Smells super hoppy with a very noticeable whiff of alcohol that stings the nose a bit with a deep inhale.

Reminiscent of a lot of other FFF brews in that it's very, very hoppy. Significant alcohol up front that makes this one a sipper for sure. Nicely sweet on the front of the tongue though. Not pulling any of the caramel malts that the bottle promises, but maybe my palate just isn't refined enough :) Seriously reminds me of a DIPA with the big hop profile and then the bitterness that it finishes with.

Feels really good in the mouth...Honestly my favorite part about the beer. Nice and full bodied; really coats well.

Again, this is a sipper. Not really what I expected at all when I picked it up. Definitely going to cellar one for awhile and re-visit to see if some of the hops/alcohol fade a bit. Not my favorite, but not bad overall.

3.35/5  rDev -21%

2011 Release (White Wax)

Poured into a goblet.

Pours a gorgeous dark amber red color. Little head retention, managed to leave some lacing in the glass.

Behemoth has a sweet, hoppy smell.

Juicy, wine taste at the front through the middle. A little bitter on the end.

Smooth mouthfeel for a 10.5% abv, more of that juiciness from the taste.

Drinkability: Goes down easy for a big barleywine.

Overall: Kind of disappointed, I feel like this is going to be a lot better if I let it age. I was expecting a little bit more complexity from this beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Served in a snifter at the FFF brewpub

This beer unlike it's BA counterpart was slightly lighter in color and much clearer being a clearish amber color with a decent white head. The smell of this was strongly of hops on the nose. I'm aware this is to be the case in Am. B-wines, but it's not often hopped to this extent. The beer has lots of citrusy hops on the palate that actually mostly cover up the malty background. Though a caramel like flavor does find it's way though to make it's presence known. There is significant bitterness with this beer, heck I've had IPAs that were less bitter than this. Overall it was balanced enough and drinkable. I must admit this was a very good beer

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Served in a snifter at the brewpub.

And here our Three Floyds Brewpub Experience comes to an end. Good times had by all, believe you me. This capper pours a clear sunrise amber topped by a finger of glowing off-white foam. I wouldn't go so far as to call this blonde by any stretch, but she's pretty nonetheless. The nose comprises ruby red grapefruit, leek, light-ish pine, and sweet, sweet toffee. The taste does not strive to deviate from this pre-determined path, though the grapefruit is slightly intensified, and some mandarin orange syrup seeps in as well. The body is a heavy-leaning medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a nearly chewy feel. Overall, a solid b-wine that somehow doesn't overdo it on either the hops or the malts. Right on, son.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Imbibed at the FFF Pub 02/04/2011. Quite fresh.

Appearance -- Pours a light ruddy brown witha cap of sudsy beige head. A substantial amount of lace for a barleywine.

Smell -- Big juicy citrus, grapefruit, pine resin, caramel, toffee and a hint of dark fruits. Very IPA-esque, the hop aroma is very reminiscent of Dreadnaught.

Taste -- Very hop forward with tropical fruit, grapefruit, and resinous bitterness. Sturdy malt base of toffee and dark fruits.

Mouthfeel -- Full-bodied with moderate creamy carbonation. Smooth, easy-drinking. Lovely.

Drinkability -- Overall it feels like a bigger, fuller, more malt-complex IIPA from FFF. I like it now and will probably like it more with a little bit of hop fade. Very aggressive American Barleywine.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to Mrfootstones for opening this up. 2009 vintage poured into red wine glass split 2 ways.

Ar: hop resin, sweet honey/pale malt, caramel, toast hints, light citrus.

Ap: Hazy peach, medium white head, good retention, nice lace,

T: hop resin, caramel, honey, light oxidized character which adds pleasant complexities, alcohol, brown sugar, white chocolate, light toasted notes, bready, surprising malt complexity for being so pale, light nutty taste, mild citrus, pleasant hop bitterness and alcohol character help to balance it, definitely tastes like it has some age on it.

M: Med carbonation, full body,light bitterness and alcohol warmth at end.

O: I was pleasantly surprised, i feel that the age has done this beer a lot of good (though i have never had it fresh), the malt is surprisingly complex for how pale it is and i was expecting it to be much more sweet (I'm glad it is not). Perhaps not worth the cost but good.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 served at cellar temp.

Appearance: pours a brilliant golden orange with a substantial and lasting head. This is one sexy BBW.

Aroma: spicy hop aroma, warm brown sugar. Not hugely aromatic otherwise.

Taste: spicy hops return, nice touch of oxidation, sugar, but in a good and not cloying way. That spicy, herbal character works very well with the mild sweetness.

Mouthfeel: nice and easy, not too viscous or heavy. Good all around.

Drinkability: so surprised to like this! Not normally a barleywine fan, but FFF really nailed the style for me. Not hot or tough to drink at all.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

popped open a 2010 Behemoth about a week after the 2011 was released.
appearance - reddish orange, nice carbonation, great head retention
smell - hops on the initial whif, but a deeper smell reveals a malty sweetness
taste - good - i'm not a big fan of hops, but they have started to fade enough that some of the malts are becoming more apparant
mouthfeel - medium bodied, lingers on the back of the tongue
drinkability - glad I have a couple people to help me finish this bomber! doesn't drink like its 10.5%. :)

think i'll open another one in a year or two to see how it's changed. :)

Served on tap in a tulip at Three Floyds.

Appearance: This pours a turbit amber brown color with a modest eggshell colored head, which fades to a ring and leaves a smattering of lace.

Smell: A heavily hopped barleywine, for sure. Honey and caramel sweetness combine with floral and citrus hops. Soft booze in the background. Three Floyds has the scary ability to hide the booze in these 10% beers.

Taste: The taste starts sweet, but the alcohol is already present. Caramel provides most of the sweetness, with caramel and pale malts providing a nice backbone. The hops are mostly floral, with some citrus and light pine. A pretty big hop bill overall. Right now, I think I had to take off just a little since the flavor is good, but not that complex and a little raw.

Mouthfeel: Sticky sweet, with fuller than medium carbonation. The body is anything but behemoth, especially for the style and ABV. A very juicy feel.

Drinkability: Yea, I would definitely sip this for a while, it is quite enjoyable. Very sweet and hoppy, so I am intrigued to see how this would age.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Luckily stopped by 3Floyds on way to Chicago and they had just tapped the 2011.

A- Pours a slightly hazy orange color. Thin head sat on top for bit and left great lacing down the glass.

S- Very sweet smelling with pine/herbal hop notes. Maybe some caramel in the back but very faint and hard to detect. Did get a little boozy aroma as well.

T- Very similar to the nose. Very sweet drink with the hop flavors dominating the malt undertones. I've never had a fresh barleywine, and I liked it surprisingly with the amount of sweetness coming from it. I seemed to taste some pine and floral hops with maybe some slight fruit flavor. At the end some caramel/toffee flavor, but very subtle.

M- Medium body, little carbonation. Got more of an oily feel than I was expecting, but lot of hop flavor pretty normal.

D- For something much sweeter than I typically like, it was an excellent drink. The ABV does creep up on you, but is masked throughout well. Going to have to open up my 2008 to compare here sometime soon! Bought a bottle to age as well.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

This was a 2009 bomber of Behemoth. Admittedly, I'm an old drinker but a new reviewer. Also I don't have Barleywines too often so I think I was objective with my evaluation of it.

Appearance: Little to no head, light lace on top that clung to the snifter as I drank. The cloudy body was of a caramel hue.

Smell: Excellent part of the beer-- I suggest taking a deep draw as you sip. The smell is mostly fruit, particularly apples and cherries but there is a nice hoppy, pine scent underlying these fruit notes.

Taste: Strong fruit notes match the scent. I thought these might be overpowering but they were very well-balanced with hops. The sweets are on the front end, the hops on the back.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and rich but with a crisp hop finish that seems to dry the tongue in its wake. There is a nice presence of carbonation but it is far from excessive. I savored several swigs, swirling them around. A very good feel.

Drinkability: Behemoth is a great slow-sipper. I had it on a night after a long day. The weather outside was below freezing. This seemed an appropriate time for the beer. I enjoyed it immensely but I don't see it as an everyday drinker-- it struck me as a terrific "treat" beer. Maybe it was the sweetness that prompted such.

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

2008 FFF Behemouth

Pours a beige head. Color is a peach hued copper.

Aroma: All malts. It definitely shows age for being a bwine. Toffee, caramel, raisins, plums, dark fruits, and a light amount of alcohol. Fairly sweet as well.

Taste: Just like the nose. Very malty. Smooth though. Some biscuits and dark fruits, raisins. Alight amount of alcohol shows.

Mouthfeel: Warming and smooth. Medium to full bodied with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Ends malty, but clean.

Overall, a decent bwine, but I do want to try this fresh. I imagine it being a lot hoppier. The hops do seem a bit faded.

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

2009 vintage generously shared by Andrewinski1. Poured into a tulip. Clear amber body with about a finger of off white head that dies down leaving sticky lace along the glass. Really fruity nose, really reminds me of strawberries mixed with dark fruits. Malty notes and carmel undertones round out a sweet aroma. Good deep malt flavors on this one. Musty cellar flavors supported by dark rich fruits and carmel notes. The mouthfeel is good. Enjoyable full body on this guy and carbonation is great, it's a bit hot though. I'm digging this, but it's a bit boozy. I don't mind sipping on this guy though.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

2009 Vintage. Poured into a tulip. Nice golden almost amber color with a slight bit of haze. A small white head covers the body, but doesn't last long. Solid lacing sticks to the side of the glass.

Nice aroma of honey and malt sweetness. A faint aroma of hops is noticeable.

This is not a boozy sweet beer. The flavor is slightly sweet, but that is only emphasized by the honey aroma and flavor. A touch of hop is noticed in the finish.

Tgrassynesshe body is about medium to big. The carbonation is soft to bring out the sweetness a bit.

This one exceeded my expectations. Might have to seek out another bottle some time.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

2010 vintage shared by the other Matt, thanks Huhzubendah.

Beer is surprisingly yellow (although upon closer examination it is called BLONDE, I'm not smart) with moderate to low carbonation and a thin white head of small and medium bubbles, not much lacing.

For a barelywine, it is quite hop forward, lots of resiny piny hop flavors in the nose...earthy at times too. I can pick up the malt but this is a hop bomb.

The leadoff here is alcohol and sweetness giving way in the midpalate to the pine hops. The hops are strong in flavor and force the palate to experience them, burying the alcohol significantly. I suppose this is one strategy to cover up alcohol, I wonder how this ages.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

2010 vintage

A: The label art is outrageous and awesome, as is typical of any FFF beer. The beer appears mostly clear and is dark orange in color. The head is off-white and leaves a good amount of lacing upon the glass.

S: The aroma is potent and easily detected from a few feet away, with scents of hops, pine / pine resin, alcohol.

T: Behemoth is very hop forward, with a heavy alcohol and pine resin presence. The alcohol content is subdued to a certain degree by the huge hop aroma. Though the beer possesses a healthy malt bill, this barleywine is more hop forward than many other examples of the style.

M: The feel is medium-bodied with a lingering sticky pine aftertaste.

D: Best enjoyed in small quantities, this is a great bottle to share a few ways.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Yellow wax. 2007. Dark brown with some caramel coloring when held up to the light. 1/2" cream colored head with some yellow in it. Kind of looks like the wax on the bottle. Smells of raisins, toast and just the faintest hint of pine. Rich and complex flavors of raisin bread, caramel, touch of alcohol, molassas, and piney hops. Kind of has a spicy finish. I really like how this beers flavors just linger awhile. Thick mouthfeel with some kick yet still smooth. For a barleywine this is incredibily drinkable. Nice to sit and sip at the fireplace while watching a good movie.

Behemoth Blonde Barleywine from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub