Behemoth Blonde Barleywine - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Behemoth Blonde BarleywineBehemoth Blonde Barleywine

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Barleywine |  10.50% ABV

A huge, sweet Barley Wine with complex caramel malt notes, balanced by generous hopping and a high alcohol content. This fruity and malty beer is best enjoyed while keeping warm in the brutal winter months.

2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, hands not skull on flat finish label (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2009 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2010 Bottle release - Green Wax
2011 Bottle release - White Wax
2011 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, glossy label, skull on label (Ohio only)
2012 Bottle release - Red Wax
2013 Bottle release - Orange Wax
2014 Bottle release - Blue wax

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-04-2002)
3.4/5  rDev -20%

Called just Behemoth. The aroma is right for the style as it pertains to american Barley Wines. There is plenty of hops, more than many of the style but not more than seems appropriate. It is both citrusy and Piny. There is also sweet malt and carrot juice. The appearance is perfect for the style with a larger head than many imported Barley Wines. The flavor is like the style with a bitter finish and very well hidden alcohol. The palate is appropriate for the style. Overall it's a good example of the style. Actually it's got some qualities that I wish other would have but I could do without the carrot taste.

nick76, Mar 02, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

2007 vintage courtesy of Gillard. Pours hazy copper with lasting tan head. The aroma is nice and hoppy with pine hops and fur tree followed by sweet mildly roasty malts and hints of caramel. The taste starts hoppy and earthy and a tad thin. The hops come off as pine, grassy, resiny and earthy bitterness. Wow, lots of hops. By midway the sweet malts peak in intensity but quickly get overtaken by pine and grassy hop bitterness that run right into the after taste. Darn smooth really but would benefit from several more years of aging.2005 vintage. It pours a hue darker than the '06 with an even bolder tan head. The aroma is much more barleywine like with a suitable level of dark fruity esters to break up the once hop dominated nose. I also get a just noticeable caramel note. The taste is richer with a bit more malt caramel notes and dark fruity esters. The hops are still over powering. I think this will be excellent in a couple more years. I now wish I had another bottle.

BigMcLargeHuge, Mar 02, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Holy crap! What the hell is Three Floyds doing in tap in Mass? I asked the guy behind the bar at Deep Ellum and he said "they are friends with someone at Three Floyds." Works for me.

Poured into a Maudite glass. Looked beautiful. Bright orange in color with incredible head and lacing. Just a powerful looking liquid in that glass. My buddy got the Anderson Valley Double IPA and coveted this as soon as he looked at it.

Smell was incredible. Strong citrus smells of orange, grapefruit and lemon. It also had a very strong smell of pineapple, amazing freshness with this beer. Absolutely delicious smelling.

Taste is strong sweet orange, bitter fresh hops and a nice malt back. This one is amazingly balanced for a very, very hoppy 12.5% barleywine. I loved all of the flavors jumping out of this beer, so easy drinking for the ABV it was ridiculous. I wanted a second but that would have put my head on the bar.

FFF, come to Massachusetts for real!!!

indiapaleale, Mar 01, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Review taken from notes on Monday night at Deep Ellum. I was really surprised to see this on, as Three Floyds does not distribute to this area. Appearance is a dark orange, with three fingers of white heading, taking a long time to die down. Smell is of floral hops, but of garlic, mango and other citrus fruits. Gentle flowery hops dominate in the taste, with the malt taking a backseat. Alcohol burn is there in a very mild way. Feel is on the medium side. Drinkability is superb, but after more than one of these, you would definitely be feeling it. As others have commented, this beer really tastes more like an Imperial IPA than a Barleywine. At the same time, sometimes the line between those two styles gets blurred, which isn't a bad thing. So I guess this is just a really hopped up Barleywine. Either way, I wish it was here all the time. Head over to Deep Ellum now and get some while you can. Cheers

jamie2dope, Feb 27, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

On tap at Deep Ellum, Brighton, MA.

A - Light orange with one inch of dense, clinging off-white foam with plenty of sticky lacing.

S - Sweet caramel, burnt toffee, resinous pine, orange rind, grapefruit.

T - Somewhat sweet with strong malt backbone. Plenty of hop flavor and bitterness with candied orange peel, grapefruit pith.

M - Rich and chewy.

D - Drinks like a DIPA, with some alcoholic heat.

trbergman, Feb 26, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2/22/09 had with pulled pork bbq sandwiches at lunchtime...

650ml bottle with no born on date to be found, gorgeous yellow wax sealed top, purchased 2/21/09 at Parti Pak liquors in Indianapolis...poured into a Sierra Nevada pint glass (I need new glassware!)

appearance-pours a hazy amber/copper red with a one inch head and semi-quality lacing, however, head disipates quite quickly

aroma-at first, almost one dimensional-hops and pine, powerful and overwhelming, tones down as time passes opening into a boquet of candied malts, chocolates, and hints of alcohol, at times it seems medicinal and slightly musty

taste-massive pine and hop overtones that mellow out like the aroma does, huge alcohol aftertaste with peppery undertones

drinkability-definitely a sipper, could only do two in one sitting

mouthfeel-smooth with a gorgeous amount of hop bite-a shock to the tongue, a very warming brew

overall-this is a monster of a beer, not exactly my favorite american barley wine, party because at times it seemed more like an old ale, but definitely something i want in my weekly winter rotation

BitterPachyderm, Feb 23, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Caramel in color and very hazy. A thin off-white head caps the beer and quickly fades to an even thinner ring around the edge. Leaves a nice thin sheet of lace on the glass though.

S - Big sweet caramel and brandy notes. Very boozy. A citrus hoppiness is present as well. Everything in the nose is big but it all seems to play off each other well.

T - Light caramel sweetness quickly overcome by a taste of alcohol soaked fruits. An interesting mix of raisins, peach, and a little citrus. The alcohol is very present throughout with a nice warming feel to it. An excellent mix of tastes.

M/D - Medium bodied with a sticky, resinous feel. For the sttle, this is very high on the drinkability scale. Quite the sipper.

ckeegan04, Feb 21, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

I had lunch today at the sterling Sun Singer and, afterward, scoured their terrific beer section. Upon seeing the telltale waxed cap of Three Floyds Behemoth, I remembered passing on grabbing a bottle of Behemoth a couple years ago, primarily because of the price and my being short on coin at that point. What a shame, for I hadn't known about the lofty reputation of either Behemoth or Three Floyds products generally then. But sweet redemption came today for, with some spare scratch, I grabbed a bottle of Behemoth. What a treasure.

A finger of off-white foam tops a mostly clear dark amber body. The body of the beer looks remarkably like cognac. Nice duration and moderate lacing on the Duvel tulip. The smell is rich with malt, sweet and dried fruit, and floral and bitter hops, boozy but not off-putting.

Wow is the best way for me to describe the taste--rife with berry, some citrus, and tart in the second half; well-hopped to balance the dense malt; roasted malt with caramel, chocolate, and coffee; and a bit spicy--nicely peppered beer. What a complex taste, made all the more accessible by the ideally balanced mouthfeel. It presents a fascinating alternative, rather than contrast, to Great Divide's Old Ruffian. Malt and hops are more restrained than Old Ruffian, but are well balanced, more on the smooth than unbridled, wild side as Old Ruffian is. The more I imbibe it, and the more it warms, the better Behemoth's mouthfeel is--just sublime.

When I grabbed this, it prompted inevitable comparisons to Old Ruffian, easily the standard-bearer for American barleywine in my mind. But upon enjoying Behemoth, I'm of the opinion that comparisons are only so useful here, and are rather unfair to both amazing beers. Old Ruffian is the Secretariat of Barleywines--powerful, breakneck, working in six different directions at once but in consort. Behemoth is not as wild, but is richly flavorful, very well balanced between hops and malt, a beer whose effects gradually rather than inexorably (as they do with Old Ruffian) emerge, a late comer rather than fast out of the gate and fast finishing. Behemoth reminds me more of Assault, the 1946 Triple Crown winner--slow out of the gate, but always a winner.

Behemoth is more a gentle, graceful giant, my new second-favorite American Barleywine. Three Floyds has created a tremendous gem. Nothing short of outstanding.

Gehrig, Feb 21, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

I had this in a bottle a few times at the Trion in New Haven, Indiana (Fort Wayne area) and just the other night on draft. I have to agree that this beer is more drinkable on draft, but I really enjoyed it out of the bottle too. I was comparing it with my buddies' HopWallop and HopSlam and definitely thought I made the best decision. It gave me a strong notion of grapefruit, but not so much that it was too sour or bitter. The balance of malt must have knocked that down a bit. It was actually dangerously smooth, I'm sure if I didn't know what I was drinking I could have ordered three or four and ended up on the floor. I'm high on barleywines lately and this is definitely one of the top five I've had. I haven't had a bad 3 Floyd's beer, but this is one of their best. Go out of your way to get this beer.

bheilman, Feb 19, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured a dark ruby color with a small tan head. Smells of citrus fruits, honey, iced tea, you name it, it is in there. Holy taste overload batman, what doesn't this monster taste like? It's a complete mash-up of flavors, I can't sort up from down. Sort of reminds me of those garbage can mixtures that you would see at a frat party where pretty much everything in the liquor cabinet/fridge had been thrown in and they hoped for the best. Only this mixture was concocted by a master mixologist and actually came out good. No way I could drink more then one of these, or would want to, but I will certainly have one on a special occasion again. Really like nothing else I've ever had.

Re-review: I have had the opportunity to have this beer on tap a few times now and it is a completely different animal on tap. Much better structure, cleaner and discernible taste profile . . . In short, out of a bottle this beer made almost no sense to me, I liked it, but more for the crazy ride it took my tastebuds on then for actual enjoying it. On tap I could see what kind of crazy genius was working behind the madness and I have a much better appreciation of the beer after having it that way. I could also probalby drink 2 of them from tap in the same night without being reduced to a ball of goo on the floor

SwiftyMcBeer, Feb 17, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

2007 Vintage.

Thanks to crazynelson for the trade. Poured a slightly hazy reddish-amber with little to no head (which I think is ok for a beer of this strength). Like the other strong, amber beers I've had this one has a strong sweet white bread flavor. The aroma jumps out of the glass in a strong perfume of light carmel, grains, bread crust and honey. That honey continues in the strondy bready malt flavor, which is backed up by a strong spicy/hoppy finish. Thick mouthfeel, but a great beer to share. Certainly worth trying if you get a chance.

tempest, Jan 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Tried a 2007 vintage courtesy of ATLbeerDog - much obliged!

Pours a hazy honey-copper color with a thin tan head that quickly recedes into a wispy layer of bubbles on top. Not a whole lot of lacing.

Smells of malt, malt, and more malt. Sweet caramel malt is joined by hints of toffee. Not a very complex aroma, but very nice nonetheless.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Huge malt flavors are joined shortly by caramel and toffee. This is just below the point of being too sweet, and as it is it's very tasty. The ending is mildly bitter, but still manages to leave a sweet film on my lips. The alcohol is noticeable, but it doesn't do much to detract from anything.

Mouthfeel is good. A syrupy thickness is augmented by good-sized bubbles that bring out the flavor.

Drinkability is good, very good in fact for such a big beer. This goes down way too easily - I'd be thankful I didn't have an entire bottle to myself if it weren't so good.

Overall this is one of the better malty barleywines I remember having. Definitely worth a shot.

glid02, Jan 27, 2009
4.25/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured out a clear, orange/amber color with a small, thin, white head. It left behind soapy residue on the glass.

S - It smelled sweet and malty with notes of caramel and fruits.

T - It taste fruity, mostly orange, with a nice sweet caramel malt taste.

M - It was soft and smooth with a somewhat sticky mouthfeel. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a very good barleywine. I liked the fruity flavors - very unique for the style.

zeff80, Jan 27, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Okay I've been waiting to pop this one out and found a frigid night at the lake with the fire place in the background to be the perfect setting.

The top was dipped in yellow wax.

This pours a cloudy ruby red in color with a little bit of white head that doesn't last long. It almost looks like someone squeezed fresh red grapefruit into my glass.

Now the smell just confirms my grapefruit hypothesis. Whoa! Lots of citrus, brandy, caramel, and loads of pine. This is a behemoth that I have yet to see it's equal.

The taste doesn't disappoint and I am floored with all the power packed into this 22oz. bottle. Tastes of pear, grapefruit, brandy, port wine and oh, did I mention hops? Whoa nellie on the hops! Just a ton of citrus and pine bite at my tastebuds.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and is just crammed to the top with a resin of hops.

Aftertaste. I don't think I will be able to taste anything for quite some time after this. Loads and loads of hops. There is a caramel chewiness and a piney bite that linger. As I get further into the beer I have found the alcohol or maybe it found me.

Simply delicious and I wish Three Floyds would come back to Ohio. Damn good.

stewart124, Jan 26, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

22oz bomber, purple wax, courtesy of SixPackSunday poured into a tulip.

Pours a dark, slightly hazy reddish amber with a small cream-colored head that dissipated pretty quickly and left pretty good lacing.

Aroma has some pretty sizable hops up front with some grapefruit and grassy hops. Plenty of caramel malts and toffee and dark fruits.

The hops are a little more toned down in the taste and the sweet dark fruits and caramel malts dominate a little more. It's really sweet throughout with some brown sugar as well.

The mouthfeel is medium to full-bodied sticky sweet with some a little soft carbonation.

This is a fairly sweet barleywine with a fading hop profile that balances things our very well. For the ABV, it's a crazy drinkable beer. Very tasty.

gford217, Jan 21, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a clear ruby color with a huge creamy off-white head that would not diminish and produced excellent lacing.Second most attractive brew I have seen.

Heavy complex aroma of roasted malt , molasses, citrus and brown sugar.

Medium to full body with a thick texture.

Good flavor with heavy sweet and bitter and a heavy bittersweet finish of long duration.

Great brew and one of my top rated active bottled beers for the Barley Wine style.

tmoneyba, Jan 14, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Seen this bottle over and over and over again, since the first time I've seen it up until this moment I've probably spent a few thousand dollars on beer, yet for some reason I always thought this beer was too expensive. I've had trips to the store where I would drop 50 or 60 bucks total but for some reason couldn't fork over a 20 and change for this beer. Finally, after stopping by a Sal's Beverage World I saw bottles of this stuff for sale for 14.99 when I normally see them for 21.99 or more (more than Darklord sells for, at the brewery at least). There was no way I was going to pass this beer up this time and finally bought a bomber.

Yellow wax dipped cap, not sure what year this is, my guess is 07.

Pours a rusty golden brown. The color of a cloudy iced tea. Head is thick and rich and a sandy golden white. It bubbles down into a thin ring but also manages to leave some pretty substatial lacing considering the size of this beer. Really makes me imagine that the hops could have been a huge factor in this beer at one point.

This beer is pungeant (spelling plz?) just massive doses of malts and hops. Old Ruffian smells similar to this but not quite as hoppy, but to be fair I am going by memomry on that comparison. Booze, honey, brown sugar, molasses, super resiny, I mean hops dipped in the essential oil of hops kind of hoppiness, chocolate, mango, canned pineapple juice. This is a friggin nasal assault, I mean I honestly feel violated by this beer it gets so freaking deep into your nasal cavities it sort of scares me, THE DEFINITION OF AMERICAN-STYLED BARLEYWINES.

Oily, barely carbonated, thick and chewy. I almost hesitate to think what this beer could be like fresh, even after what I would guess was more than a year spent on the shelf this beer manages to display an intese hop bitterness. Granted the hops have a deeper, mellower, more earthy kind of taste to them but are they ever there and they don't let you forget it. They serve to keep things from becoming disgustingly sweet, instead the beer seems to be held in check, cherries, buttery brown sugar, freshly turned planting soil (that may be a bit over the top but if you think about it, it sort of exists), iced tea (I'd wasn't sure what the previous reviewer was talking about, but it's there), hazlenut, chestnut, walnut, boozy plum and herbal hoppines and a fistfull of oak, a big fucking fistfull. Mouthfeel is the only thing that is bothersome for me, just feels a bit undercarbonated and slightly watery as a result, I was hoping after such a huge punch in the face with the aroma that my mouth might be wired shut by a massively chewy malt bomb and while the malt and hop bomb remains try, the beer is not nearly as chewy as I would have imagined or would have liked.

It's taking all my willpower not to guzzle this stuff. It tastes so good, so complex, yet powerful in almost every respect. If the mouthfeel were a bit fuller it would easily be a 5, even considering how big this beer is. Really an amazing beer, would imagine that age does wonderful things to this beer, but even fresh wouldn't be bad either, just really really intensly hoppy I'm sure.

bluemoonswoon, Jan 03, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Reviewed on 8/29/08. 2008 bottle courtesy of inkubus27 (thanks Tim!) Pours a medium-colored brown with a small light tan foamy head. Aroma of brown sugar, molasses, citrusy hops, raisin bread. Very interesting and a nice balance of bitter citrusy hops to the malty sweetness. Flavor is a bit sweet--lots of citrusy and caramel malt, lemon iced tea, and apple skins. Nice and flavorful. Not overly sweet like a lot of barleywines I've had recently. Wow, I'm a bit tipsy now but I would definitely not have guessed that this beer was 12%!! No alcohol presence whatsoever. I had this beer aged in bourbon at a beer fest earlier than this year, but in my opinion, this beer is best as is. Awesome stuff and pretty similar to SN Bigfoot. I'm not usually a barleywine fan, but this was a really superb beer.
8/4/8/4/17 (4.1/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 23, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -13.4%

I had never heard of a blonde barleywine previously. It definitely looks and smells like a barleywine--though the color is a bit lighter, more yellow, and less red than other big barleywines like Bigfoot, Old Guardian, or Old Crustacean. The smell is very sweet and its syrupy viscosity is evident even as it pours from the bottle. The light head dissipates quickly leaving a ring of lace around the edge of the glass. Though I don't notice the hops in the aroma, hops are surprisingly pronounced--spicy and piney--in the front of the taste (less so in the middle and finish). The sweetness of the aroma becomes a candy, molasses syrup flavor. I like syrupy-mouthfeel beers, but this one is too much for me. I like big ol' barleywines, but this one is overwhelming. The bottle says "It's not normal," and that sums it up pretty well.

PhiloPsych, Dec 20, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Nice dark caramel. Not much head, not much lacing.

S - Shazam. Deep, almost meaty malts, sweet and solid.

T - Sweet malty, alcohol and burning bitter hops that are NEEDED to quell the first part.

M - Medium to full, good carb and coating.

D - For the style, which is friggin HUGE, very drinkable.

srandycarter, Dec 20, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to a true hippie, joe1510, for sending this one my way.

Pours a very nice looking ruby red orangey brownish color with an off white head that lingers quite well and leaves good lacing, very good lacing by BW standards.

Nose is weaker than expected, but a good indication of American BW. Deep sugary malt and musty hop resins abound. Some really sugary candy like nose, caramely, and a pretty big pine presence.

Hmmm. Tasty. Big bold malt flavor is balanced quite well by some WC hop flavors. The hop resin sweetness comes out strong and blends in the with caramely sugar of the malts. The Hop presence is very flavorful, but not outrageously bitter. There is a slight spiciness towards the finish too. A thickness through the middle of the taste. The sweetness in this is very aged TIPAish. The finish is nice and bitter, but not ball wrinkling bitter, and leaves a nice sugary aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very good, but is a touch thick. Slightly expected, this being of higher abv than your average BW, but still a bit thick. Chewy even. I would kill for a Bourbon barrel version of this. Carbonation is right on.

Drinkability is very good for this huge of a brew. As far as the style itself, this one is good, but nothing amazing as far as drinkability, take a touch of the malt, and add just a touch to the hop presence, and this one would be very, very dangerous.

Overall an exceptional Barleywine, and a very good example of the style. Defenitely one to enjoy in the winter, as this fat bitch will knock you on your ass. I think with just a slight tweaking of the recipe, this one could be one of the best out there, and even as it sits, it is one of the better American BWs around for sure. Another good one from FFF. Nice work, and Peace and Love out to joe from chi-town.

AKBelgianBeast, Dec 15, 2008

2005 Pink Wax bottle from beertracker via trade.
From notes

A: Nice looking deep red color with a minimal white head. Some spotty lacing.

S: A nice big malt nose with some spiciness in it as well. The 2006 we drank at the same time did not have this. This is probably the weakest part of this beer.

T: Still a little bit hoppy. The malt really has not taken over as much as I thought it would. A little bit spicy as well. The 2006 was a little bit hotter and the hops were more pronounced.

M: Minimal carbonation with a nice full body. A little bit sticky.

D: A really nice beer. Thanks again to beertracker again for the opportunity to try this beer with a few years on it already. Not what I had in my head but still a really good beer. Definitely enjoyed the 2005 over the 2006. I would say either drink this fresh or give it a few years. The 05 could have gained a bit with some more time on it.

aerozeppl, Dec 08, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a reddish orange color, with a quarter inch of yellow foam. No lacing at all, though. Smells strongly of malt, fruit, citrus. Taste is a sweet, malty, flavor, with brown sugar, dried fruit, and hops mixed in. Good solid flavor, but it seems to fade as I work my way through the glass. Carbonation is a bit weak. Actually, it's a fair bit weak, and going flat as I finish the glass. A nice flavor, but lack of carbonation drags down the overall experience.

PhxHorn, Dec 08, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Behemoth Blonde Barleywine, courtesy of akorsak - thanks!! Beer #5 of 6 in my "Three Floyds Countdown to #500" series on this, the eve of the anniversary of the repeal of prohibition! Poured into a 22 oz. Terrapin snifter and served at 52 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a surprisingly dark (was I expecting it to look more "blonde"?) amber-tinted brown. The head is clingy and has average retention, and a moderate pour elicited about one-finger of solid tan bubblyness. You can see plenty of carbonation creeping up around the curvature of the glass and joining the thick, foamy ring that's left after it fades away. Lacing is sparse, runny, but does have some stick, more than enough given this beer's high alcohol content - I'm not disappointed.

Aroma: A little simplistic, I think, and likely this beer's weakest component, though I'll give it time to warm. There're lots of sweet, sticky-smelling, doughy malts, with a definite roasted edge. On the other end of the scale we have a piney, lightly citrusy hop presence - Amarillo, perhaps, or Centennial? - the spiciness of which intermingles with the prickle of a decently-high amount of estery alcohol.

Taste: That's a little more like it. A full and fairly complex-flavored brew. There's a strong, piney bitterness throughout, easily this brew's most prominent flavor component - it's a little coarse, but not nearly as harsh as other American barleywines I've had, and it does a solid job of hiding the sneakily well-hidden alcohol component, which is reduced to a pleasant, warming tingle. The malt profile on this one runs the gamut from lightly roasted to highly toasted, and stays consistently sweet throughout - there are a ton of residual, simple sugars in this one, and imagining a malt bill that can produce a 12.5% abv brew while still having this much simple sweetness is frightening. All the way from honey-like sweetness to dark toast and everything in between: notes of caramel, coffee, chocolate (the OTHER "C's") coat the tongue. It's never cloying, however, with the aforementioned malts being kept well in check by the aforementioned bitterness as well as an array of other juicy, oily hop notes: orange and grapefruit rind, strawberries, pineapple perhaps. Quite the balance here, and one I imagine would do even better with a year or two of age on it, allowing the bitterness a little time to mellow and seeing what else might emerge from this morass of flavors.

Mouthfeel: This beer feels "large" in just about every way, approprriate for the style and for the name: it's thick as hell, but also has plenty of carbonation to lighten things up; the hop oils render this one slick and oily, but the residual sugars leave a slight amount of stick. The "afterfeel" (read: the belch) is nice and piney fresh, too, and though this doesn't really factor into my score, it's nonetheless a pleasant bonus. Overall, this one strikes a very nice balance.

Drinkability: This beer suffers from several things, notably a particularly high level of alcohol, though I can't really fault 3Fs for failing to hide it completely - when you're at 12.5%, you're naturally going to get something that sneaks through, and I think they did a fine job with what they had. It's still high, however, which does knock down the drinkability score a few points. The aroma is also somewhat weak, not in pungency as much as in complexity. This beer really shined through later on, however, and I wish many of the complexities of the mouth had been more evident in the nose. The mouthfeel was also perfectly balanced, smooth, creamy, sublime. On the whole, it's a definite winner - a tasty, great-feeling beer that I more than enjoyed while sitting back with some extra-sharp cheddar and studying for my upcoming Federal Tax exam. If I were fortunate enough to live in an area where it were feasible, I'd buy a couple of these to cellar for a year or two - I doubt the hops would suffer to the point where this became unenjoyable, and the estery alcohol might be able to use a little time to cool down. Nonetheless, recommended, fresh or otherwise - a solid brew.

CrellMoset, Dec 04, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a hazy amber color with a quarter inch yellowed head. Decent retention and some lacing.

The nose is pretty nice. A decent hop profile is present with some citrus notes and pine. Some caramel as well.

The taste is pretty good. A nice citrusy hop profile, slightly piney, with some sweet caramel and a little bit of booziness. I'm getting a bit of grain on the tongue near the finish as well.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is fairly high. Pleasing flavor and nose, and the booze is fairly subuded which ups the drinkability. Not bad at all.

Goliath, Dec 03, 2008