Behemoth Blonde Barleywine - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Behemoth Blonde BarleywineBehemoth Blonde Barleywine

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Barleywine |  10.50% ABV

A huge, sweet Barley Wine with complex caramel malt notes, balanced by generous hopping and a high alcohol content. This fruity and malty beer is best enjoyed while keeping warm in the brutal winter months.

2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, hands not skull on flat finish label (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2009 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2010 Bottle release - Green Wax
2011 Bottle release - White Wax
2011 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, glossy label, skull on label (Ohio only)
2012 Bottle release - Red Wax
2013 Bottle release - Orange Wax
2014 Bottle release - Blue wax

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-04-2002)
3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

2007 - Yellow wax edition 22oz bottle
Pours a very hazy deep amber color with just a faint hint/ring of a head. The aroma is mostly hops and is pleasant. The taste is sweet upfront with hop flavor and bitterness following quickly after, then the hops and the sweet malts battle each other in a long, drawn-out fight to the end. Carbonation is light and contributes to the heavy body and chewy mouthfeel of this brew. This beer is sweet, but it stops just short of being syrupy. To me, Behemoth tastes like a malty IIPA. That's not a bad thing, though. I really like IIPAs and barleywines, and sometimes the line between the two is blurry. Curiously, this brew tastes very much like Dreadnaught, but with a bigger malt bill. Both of those brews seem to use some Simcoe hops which is a variety I don't particularly like. Ultimately, if you like Dreadnaught, then you'll probably enjoy Behemoth as well.

After tasting this brew, I was left with one burning question...why on Earth is this stuff so expensive? This is a decent brew, but $18 for a bomber? There are comparable brews which are just as good (and better) that are 1/2 to 1/3 the price. I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this one, but I can't justify buying any more.

ohmybock, Feb 01, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

This is again a style bender from Three Floyds Brewing Co. Boozy and sweet I don't know what to compare it to. Gumball head with more port wine, maybe closest.

Appearance: Pours a copper amber into my tasting snifter. Small white head.

Smell: Sweet and fruity aroma with port cherries and pine hops.

Taste: Sugary sweet rum, fruit, raisins and pine and bubblegum hops.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied beer. Warming alcohol.

Drinkability: It is definitely a strong Barley wine and a sipping beer but itt is as drinkable as any big beer. Very enjoyable.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jan 30, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

First, I've gotta state that American Barley Wine rocks!!!
No interpretation required.

Poured a ruby tangerine and developed better than a full finger off white head that resisted fading when poured into a snifter. The smell was nothing short of amazing. It demonstrated a very aggressive bouquet of fruity citrus. I was overwhelmed by the Imperial IPA-like hoppiness while I enjoyed the fundamentally smooth yet malt caramel flavor that I look for in my favorite barley wine. Some lacing was evident. Medium mouth; lingering after taste of hops. Hallelujah! ! I can think of nothing more satisfying than to open another, but that would be over the top.

Thank you Randy from Archers! The line forms behind me.

jjayjaye, Jan 26, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a small head with an OK lacing and a dark ruby color that's a little hazy. The smell is so very hoppy with fruit smell of grapefruit flavor. That's all I taste is grapefruity hops with a hint of grassy hops near the finish. The mouthfeel was fine, but had a little bite to it. Overall I will have this again after aging it for a while.

Erdinger2003, Jan 20, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I sampled this brew courtesy of Qarre. Thanks!
Split the beer with Stopper adn poured at room temp into a snifter.
The beer pours a chestnut color with ruby highlights.
A thin beige head forms and fades quickly after about 1/2 inch.
Aroma is dark fruit and rum with a hint of citrusy hops as well.
First sip reveals a thinner body than expected, with very fine tingly carbonation.
Flavor is sweet fruit for a second but rolls to hot boozy and peppery alcohol. No hops to be found. This is a big sippin beer, dont try to have multiple pints of this, cause it will end your nite!

sulldaddy, Jan 20, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -4%

Nearly opaque scarlet/amber/mahagony depending on which way the light hits it. Head is rich and creamy and hold up well considering the alcohol. Leaves a very fine lace in it's wake.

Well what too say. This is a very nice smelling beer but too me it's much more similar too a DIPA. A huge burst of grapefruit with every whiff. Smells very good but I prefer my barleywines with more of a caramel, toffee malt aroma at the forefront. We shall see how this transpires to the taste. There are caramel, and toffee however but it seems dominated by the hops.

Good amount of alcohol in the mouth yet very balanced. This is one fruity barley wine. Grapefruit, peach, and floral hop dominate the mouth. But there is a significant underlying of caramel, and sweet toffee malt. Big and complex but in an odd way because of the fruitiness. Nicely carbonated which lends hand too the immense hop. This one may be hard to quit drinking.

Mouth is big and creamy and rich. Long dry finish seems sweet but it's the fruity hop that deceives.

I love beer.

mcallister, Jan 19, 2007
4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2006 version.
Muddy brownish cranberry color with very little head to speak of. Looks fairly average.

Brown sugar is up front with dried currants, plums, buttery notes, hops (3F's, imagine that...) and a slight alcohol taste.

Brown sugar again on the tongue, almost (I said almost) artificial in its taste with peppery/clove accents. Meyers dark rum also comes to mind. Huge and restrained at the same time (does that even make sense?), I suspect aging has mellowed this some. An unexpected bitterness ligers at the end. So good.

Mouthfeel is thick with a nice bite of carbonation and a touch of alcohol sting. Although it has mellowed, this is still only a sipper.

Thanks to kmpitz2 for splitting this with me.

malcontent, Jan 13, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to Sephiroth for this bomber I received as part of the Great BIF Race 2006. I have been sitting on this one for about seven months.

Pours a deep, dark reddish copper with a thin tan head that fades to a ring. No lacing is visible.

The aroma is rather strong and complex. Sweet bready malts, bubblegum, grapefruit and pine hops, alcohol, caramel, and dark fruits (figs, plums, raisins) all stirred together in a big pot. As soon as I worked my way through the wax and popped the top off the smells quickly hit my nose over two feet away...impressive.

The taste is good, but still a bit harsh. Piney hops, alcohol, fruity sweetness, doughy malt, alcohol, caramel, some light floral flavors dance in and out as well. I put the alcohol in there twice, because I feel it's still about twice as strong as it needs to be. As I get further through the glass, though, it isn't as dominant as it was at the beginning....or I am just getting used to it.

Barely carbonated, creamy mouthfeel with some astringent bitterness upon swallowing. That and the higher abv lowers the drinkability somewhat for me.

Imstillthegman, Dec 26, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

22oz bomber, shared with expatsteve and golden2wenty1

appearance: poured into house glass at expatsteves, dark amber body, light cream head...standard

smell: bubblegum, packed to the brim with hops eventhough this was traded for a year or so ago...sticky pine hops, smooth caramel, noticeable booze. very potent on the nose, this should be good

taste: bursting with hop flavours - bubbleyum, juicy citrus, pine needles...sugary, gummybears, caramel malt balance, very sticky and resiny, booze bomb for sure. This FFF brew does not dissapoint if you can track some down

mouthfeel: high bitterness, sticky and juicy, boozy

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Dec 10, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Courtesy of Dirtylou, shared with myself and expatsteve on a mini-Barley Wine sesh.

Pour: ruby, mahogany, auburn brown under a thin skim of khaki cream fizzling to a coating.

Nose: sweet strawberry bubble gum, aromatic herbs, gasoline, pine resin, stinging fumes.

Taste: rich caramel malt, strawberry concentrate, pine sap, herb and spice, flaming alcohol

Feel: thinned by the alcohol, yet still substantial, bubbly

Drinkability/Overall: even with an older bottle, the hops are still kickin' strong, yet balanced by a rich malty backbone. Alcohol is a little harsh yet, but this is a behemoth indeed

Golden2wenty1, Dec 08, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

A-Thin light tan head on a cloudy light brownish body.
S- Strong alcohol, big malts some light fruits, some grass and pine hops, maybe some light spices too?
T- Big alcohol comes in first with some malts backing it up. Leaves a big warming also. A nice helping of hops too. Gives a nice balance. Big dry bitterness from the piney hops with a bit of grass hops too. Very sweet, caramel comes through pretty well too. I think it may be quite young and I think with age it would calm down and blend together better. Almost very harsh now.
M- Full body but maybe a tad on the medium side. Low carbonation.
D- I think its to young but is still good. Bit harsh overall. It is nice but not what I have come to expect from Three Floyds. Wish I could try a 2003 or 2002.

BlindPig, Dec 03, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to whoever i traded with for this, if it is you, let me know and I can recognize it.

Appearance: Brilliant red body, small off-white head doesn't form very full, but lingers long.

Smell: A malt and hop masterpiece. Both are instense and balanced, but distinguishable. The malt is sweet and sugary, the hops are raw and pungent, a little fruity.

Taste: The abv is very noticable, and it drowns out some of the flavors, but overall it is good. The malt is rich and sweet, the hops shine through the alcohol burn and make for one aggressive beer.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and thick, good for the style, necessitated by the ABV.

Drinkability: A damn fine barleywine. I would like to have a several year old bottle of thsi, i think it would age superbly.

TastyTaste, Oct 31, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance is brown, with a tan head that disappears within a short time. I love the label and the wax wrapper...extra half-point. :-)

Smell is dark fruits, pine, alcohol, citrus, molasses. Very nice.

Taste is fruity, malty, with a nice hop balance and alcohol noticeable.

Very chewy mouthfeel, very low carbonation. Aftertaste is a little cloying.

Not real drinkable, I don't think I could finish a bomber of this. But I won't turn the stuff down...I just wouldn't have it often.

BlackAngus, Sep 14, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

Draft at the brewery, aged one year. Poured a murky brown color with a creamy yellowish off white head and nice lacing. Strong citrus hop and caramel malt aroma. Very rich mouthfeel had tastes of citrus and bitter hops, and well as being balanced by a nice sweet maltiness.

The young bottles still need a bit more time to meld, but give it another 3 - 4 months, and they should be just as good as this draft sample I had at the brewery in March of 04.

egajdzis, Aug 28, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Upon popping the cap of this bottle, after fighting through the wax of course, I knew this was 22 oz of pure hedonistic pleasure just from the aroma. Addictive citrus and rum nose, with coconut, pineapple, cherries and booze. Heavenly...or maybe it's been too long since I've had an Old Horizontal, which I am finding this Behemoth is very similar to.

Pours a slightly murky ruby color, the frothy head lasting only for a minute. Extremely sticky and chock full of pine notes, this is a perfect balance of malt assault and hop bomb. It's over the top. The alcohol is not overt in the flavor profile, but certainly makes itself known otherwise. Chewy, bready dough maltiness combines with lingering hop oils, ripe plums, citrus...and even prunes. Warming after-effects. Light carbonation, and extremely flavorful right out of the fridge - and still obviously delicious as it warms and becomes more toxic. I'm definitely taking this bomber down...or is it taking me down? This is undoubtedly a top-notch, first class American Barleywine. FFF distributes many of their brews here in PA...send this too!

IrishRedRock, Jul 31, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours brown to ruby red with hints of orange, a nice size tan very tight head that slowly fades. Smell is rich, sugary, pruney malt with some pine tree hop aroma. There is also a little citrus note and just a hint of booze in the aroma. Taste is unique, the malts make an incredible brief but rich appearance before the hops take over. Some pineyness and a citrusy vitamin c tablet flavor. Mouthfeel is full bodied and rich, there is also some chalkiness with the vitamin c flavor, a drying hop finish with some warmth from the alcohol. Interesting beer, the alcohol conent is amazingly balanced for its strength, but there are some different flavors and textures (vitamin c) that attack my palate. Look forward to an aged sample, a very good barleywine with some major citrus characteristics.

hoppymeal, Jul 03, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Mix of strawberry and cooked cherry juice. Somewhat murky and mysterious. Minimal head with a small ring of white bubbles around the glass.

S: Bit of cherry, maple, oak, some pine, brown sugar and a touch of bubblegum..

T: Starts off with rounded fruity flavors (cherry, fig, strawberries) then moves to nice caramel malts with stiff citrus hops hitting the center of the tongue. Some earthy dirty hops round out the finish. Alcohol vaprs as it warms. Aftertaste is sort of cherry Robitusin.

M: Thick, syrupy.

D: Over rated I thought. Aftertaste was cloying and not so great. WAY better barleywines out there.

Westsidethreat, Jul 01, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Woah! the first sipped made me stumble on ymway from the kitchen to the couch. It was like a kick to the ol' taste buds.

Poured a very murky reddish-brown in color. Thick head that dissolved to a thin film. Not much lace but I think that is a result of my dishwasher. Nose should been a warning aout the flavor. Mild malts followed by a very large wallop of hops. Even a hint of heat from the alcohol.

There is seriously no subtlety in this beer. Much easier to drink after it warmed a bit and I adjusted to it a tad. Lots and lots of piney and citrusy hops. Kind of made my tongue tingle. And adding to the tongue tingles is a solid burn from the alcohol. Really took away from the mouthfeel and the drinkability. Think I am picking up some tannins but am not really too sure. Just really struggled to finish this beer.

MuddyFeet, Jun 03, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Bomber poured into squat Belgian snifter, ...dark mahogany/ burgundy blend fills the glass, out wafts the aroma, and I know I'll be spanked but good!

Little head here, though, it appears for a moment and disappears quickly.

Aroma screams brandy, cherries, hints of bourbon, port wine, licks of leather, spicy and slick...molasses, dark rum, brown sugar..liking it...

Now to taste: the Behemoth floods the mouth with fierce flavor and coats every inch with deliciousness, spreading tendrils of delight through every crack in the palate. And a thunder thuds above, as alcohol creeps along as well...boom, boom...hear his steps as he clods along the corridors of the brain...flavors detected in the nose reassert themselves on the tongue...l the slick sugary darkness, the caramel-y sweetness, the thick, resonant malt, the powerful potency. An aptly named brew, and it appears to be quite stronger than the last time I had it, on tap, nearly 4 years ago. It was 10% then, and a killer diller at that. Guess that envelope had to be pushed, eh, Floyd, Floyd, and Floyd?

Huge body, immense mouthfeel, long, slightly bitter, thick and resiny finish. A hell of a barleywine. But I want it in little bottles, not these monster servings. And I want it available in my home state, again. And I want a million dollars, and a pony, and a Rock'em, Sock'em robots, and Mommy and Daddy to get back together, and world peace, and no hunger, and, and, and...

Boom, boom, boom, I've barely gotten into it, and it's knocking at my frontal lobes...we're coming i-in...hide the ki-ids...here I am, wishing I'd saved this for a get-together with friends, and continue drinking it solo, and hoping I don't wake up wanting to kill myself tomorrow morning...afternoon...?

I really, really like this, but it's a serious sipper of a brew, one that should accompany a long evening with the works of Wordsworth at hand, Old Dog Tray at one's feet, a roaring fire beside, attired in a comfortable robe...you know the scene...

I'm drooling over the intense flavors as much as the goons on the label, but not drooling over Miss Behemoth as they are...I just don't find three chins very sexy.

(Also, confused by the name...nothing "blonde" about this beauty!)

feloniousmonk, Apr 12, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -4%

I let this warm for about 15 minutes out of the fridge. Body is a very deep amber brown, very attractive. Head is a thick fat bubbley rich tan color. Nose has an electric vigorous malt hoppy perfect balance with slight spiceyness, very cool. Sweet dark fruit mingled with malt on the entrance. Sweetness is long and sugaray. Hops become evident twords the end of the palate. Sours slightly on the finish. The finish which leads to the only point of downfall to thes beer. Mouthfeel is slightly hurt by this. Very end features a slightly burnt malt. Warms belly half way thriogh. Nice hidden alchol sneaks up on you.

SPLITGRIN, Apr 08, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

orangey brown with a thick tan head that dissolves to a ring.
the smell is pungently hoppy, with thick earthy sappy pine as well as some light citrus. some brown sugar and caramel take a backseat. with warmth some more candy like caramel aromas come out
the taste is rich and hoppy, and more well balanced than the aroma might let on. loads a caramel, molasses, some spicy qualities and a good dose of rich ripe dark fruitiness. sugary with out being abrasively sweet, this barleywine walks a fine line, and to great effect. finishes up with piney hops that clean things up very well. surprisinly restrained alcohol for 12.5%.
it's got a full luxurious mouthfeel with low and very fine carbonation that i wouldn't change a bit.
decent drinkability for the bigness of the beer. this is an absolute must try if your a fan of american barleywines. very, very impressive.

kmo1030, Mar 30, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Bottle: Poured a clear light brown color ale with a medium size white head with good retention. Aroma of citrus hops is easily distinguishable with a nice strong malt presence to back it up. Taste is well balance mix between sweet malt with a strong presence of citrus and floral hops. Body is lighter then expected and alcohol is well hidden. Probably a bit too much hops for my personal taste but very good nonetheless.

Phyl21ca, Mar 20, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

22 oz bomber with pink wax seal.

Translucent amber in color with a foamy white had that reduces to a thin layer of foam.

Aroma is hoppy and slightly sweet, smelling like a thick, piney syrup.

Taste is very, very good - nice hops up front, sweet, bready malts, and a nice, warm, alcohol finish. Very well balanced, and very good.

RockyTopHeel, Mar 20, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Cherry red color with a small, light tan head, which quickly fades. Monstrous piney and resiny hop aroma, juicy as hell, which after some time begins to smell very medicinal. Nothing but hop aromatics in the aroma and if this were a Double IPA that would be fine, but in a barley wine I want malt aromatics. Still though, the hops are vibrant enough in the nose to definately be enjoyable. The body is undeniably huge and provides a nice mouth experience. The flavor is fairly well balanced between hop and malt flavors, but overall I suppose this is more of a hop accented barley wine. Loads of juicy, medicinal hop flavors throughout the palate, with hints of grapefruit. The malts hints of toffee all the way through, with hints of caramel and roasted nuts. Quite the tasty treat, but it needs your complete attention and a pretty large sample, because it changes very much throughout the tasting. Also, I am not one for aging barley wines, but this really needs some time. Maybe it will peak at around six to eight months. Just like the Raspberry Eisbock, I was hoping it would be my first 5.0...but to no avail...maybe soon, maybe sometime. Hopefully

Crosling, Mar 14, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Wax dipped 22 oz brown glass bomber consumed in chi-town right after the initial release. Dark slightly muddy/orangey liquid with a nice skull cap of white froth. Aromas of juicy FFF hop blend (amarillo and others) and juciy malts. Another FFF fruit punch beer as I call them, like a kicked up dreadnaught with less hops and more fruit juice/sucre. mouthfeel is clean and this mix of hops and sugar that would scare any diabetic does not get cloying anywhere along the route. Drinkability is scarily good. Another achievment.

francisweizen, Feb 24, 2006