Behemoth Blonde Barleywine - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Behemoth Blonde BarleywineBehemoth Blonde Barleywine

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Barleywine |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-04-2002

A huge, sweet Barley Wine with complex caramel malt notes, balanced by generous hopping and a high alcohol content. This fruity and malty beer is best enjoyed while keeping warm in the brutal winter months.

2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, hands not skull on flat finish label (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2009 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2010 Bottle release - Green Wax
2011 Bottle release - White Wax
2011 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, glossy label, skull on label (Ohio only)
2012 Bottle release - Red Wax
2013 Bottle release - Orange Wax
2014 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2015 Bottle release - Purple Wax
Reviews: 566 | Hads: 1,696
4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

- White wax, 2011 vintage

Deep, rich amber in color with orangish highlights. Nice thick, creamy white head of foam that coats the glass. Very complex fruitiness going on in the nose. Tropical. Aromas of pineapple and mangos. Citrus as well, with fresh orange peels and pink grapefruit. Pine, tree sap, red delicious apples, sweet malt and toffee back up the fruit.

Moderate carbonation, smooth and creamy on the palate. A very soft and easy drinking
barleywine. Getting alot of the same fruit in the taste. Pineapple, pink grapefruit, melon. Like biting into a orange peel. Sweet, sticky on the lips. Good malt. Toffee, burnt or caramelized brown sugar, maple syrup. The hops hit you in the finish. Citrus, tree sap, pine-spruce, kinda woody hop character. Nice bitterness which lingers in the back of the palate. Sweet and piney brew that stays sticky on the lips. As the beer warms the hops and toffee malt characters become more pronounced.

This is a great barleywine fresh or with a couple years of age on it. For me a world class brew. (1,048 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at 3 Floyds 9/29/2011

The appearance is dark amber with a light tan head, nice microfoam on the head of this =)

Rich caramel scent, with some hoppy spice notes, spice was a vague cardamom/curry scent to my nose.

More caramel in the taste! Sweet caramel to more caramel - a medium body with a rich feel on the palate. No carbonation to speak of.

I enjoyed the caramel of this barleywine, this is everything that I enjoy about barleywines without the intense sweetness that some examples of this style have. (520 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

A spectacular Barley Wine! It does have a hoppy presence, but it is smooth and mellow like a fine brandy. Molasses, cherry, and vanilla are present in this brew. It has a nice malty mouth feel. (193 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

Date Drunk: 3/2/11

On tap at FFF BrewPub. Sweet malt with some citrus aftertaste. The alcohol really shows itself here in this beer. Beer is very smooth, needs to be sipped. Not the best barley wine i've had, but enjoyable. I have had the 2008 version, and it is better then the on tap one. (291 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours ruby red with a touch of brown, almost like a cognac. Little bit of head that disipates quickly. Not a whole lot of lace develops in glass.

Smells super hoppy with a very noticeable whiff of alcohol that stings the nose a bit with a deep inhale.

Reminiscent of a lot of other FFF brews in that it's very, very hoppy. Significant alcohol up front that makes this one a sipper for sure. Nicely sweet on the front of the tongue though. Not pulling any of the caramel malts that the bottle promises, but maybe my palate just isn't refined enough :) Seriously reminds me of a DIPA with the big hop profile and then the bitterness that it finishes with.

Feels really good in the mouth...Honestly my favorite part about the beer. Nice and full bodied; really coats well.

Again, this is a sipper. Not really what I expected at all when I picked it up. Definitely going to cellar one for awhile and re-visit to see if some of the hops/alcohol fade a bit. Not my favorite, but not bad overall. (993 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%

2009 vintage

A- clear amber, light brown. Decent head with a great, clingy lace.

S- hoppy, with brown sugar and a slightly floral presence. Also an alcohol undertone.

T- Good balance of malt and hops, with hops slightly taking the upper hand. Big presence of brown sugar, and I also found a bit of a nutty taste towards the finish, as well as some roasted barley. Very Complex.

F- Although it has a very rich feel, it is not overly heavy for the style.

D- Reasonably drinkable. It lets you know the alcohol is there, without being overbearing. A pleasure to put down, but it doesn't leave me calling for more, as some brews do. (632 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: Pours a nice amber orange color with a medium amount of cloudiness. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of carbonation, but there is a very nice amount of creamy off white (nearly tan) head. The retention is quite nice in this beer. Occasional swirls of the glass will bring back two or three fingers worth of head. Lacing is also superb with that crystal-like quality from the sugars.

Smell: Smells just like a Barleywine should. There is a lot of caramel malt and a bit of pungency from the hop presence. You also get some of the characteristic fruits like figs, prunes, raisins, and dried apricots. The hops might not be as upfront as I'd like, but we'll see what they have to offer once I dig in to the glass. To be fair, I've started this one a bit colder than I probably should have. Give me a break -- it's a 22 ounce beer at 12% ABV so it's probably going to take me a while to finish.

Taste: Sadly there is not as much hops as I've come to expect from a Barleywine. And with as well as Three Floyds Dreadnaught is hopped, I'd think there'd be more here. However, that's certainly not a bad thing because the caramel quality of the malt is actually very nice and makes up for any lack of hops. The fruits translate very well from the nose to the palate and are accompanied by some very nice underlying floral components.

Mouthfeel: For a Barleywine I'd say the mouthfeel is one of its best elements. It's not attacking my mouth the way I thought it might, and the alcohol presence is low enough (figuratively speaking) that I don't get the burn I normally get from some of the higher ABV Barleywines.

Overall: At first I wasn't too fond of the lack of hops, but wow this really turned for the better after a few sips. The sweetness of the malt and the floral and fruit components are enough to carry this one as far as it will go. This is unquestionably one of the more drinkable Barleywines I've had. Once again, Three Floyds proves why so many people want their beers.

The Grand Ole Hopry
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGrandOleHopry1 (2,066 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

2010 vintage. Chilled, but let this one warm up a bit. Color is a mix of deep amber red mixed with apricot. Light carbonation with minimal head, but persists. Great earthy hop presence in the nose, a hallmark of 3 Floyds. Also dried fruit, toasted malts, but the hops do it for me. Full palate, like jello. Extremely well-rounded and smooth - dried fruit, toasted malt, and wood. Finishes dry with earthy/piney hops that linger. Some alcohol presence, but not in the taste. For me the hop presence definitely edges other barley wines I've tried. Now its time to pick up another bottle and let it sit for a few years! (616 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19.8%

2011 Release (White Wax)

Poured into a goblet.

Pours a gorgeous dark amber red color. Little head retention, managed to leave some lacing in the glass.

Behemoth has a sweet, hoppy smell.

Juicy, wine taste at the front through the middle. A little bitter on the end.

Smooth mouthfeel for a 10.5% abv, more of that juiciness from the taste.

Drinkability: Goes down easy for a big barleywine.

Overall: Kind of disappointed, I feel like this is going to be a lot better if I let it age. I was expecting a little bit more complexity from this beer. (550 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

2007 Vintage – DFH Snifter

Appearance: Pours a brilliant clear burnt amber with minimal but clingy off-white head.

Smell: Sweet incredibly complex balanced aroma of light oily hops, warm malt, oak, caramel and spices.

Taste: Wow, finally a beer that tastes as good as it smells! The hops are now present but again well balanced. A taste sensation full of brown sugar, bready malts, maple and spices.

Mouthfeel: Wonderfully creamy and warming as it goes down. Just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is scary drinkable. As soon as you start to notice the alcohol, the sensation is gone and you just keep drinking.

Final Comments: I absolutely loved this barleywine and would put it as one of the best American barleywines I have had to date. (767 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1%

White-waxed bomber into a Stone’s BW Glass.

Nice appearance. Amber color with very light-tan head. Sticky lacing.

Crisp citrus smelling hops with sweet aromas. Pineapple, bananas, apple fruitiness.

Crisp, clean hops go really well with how fruity it is. But nothing too crazy here. Just a good solid barleywine with the 10.5 well hidden.

Slightly lighter than expected, but still at the bigger end of medium-bodied. Really smooth.

Highly drinkable. Overall, remarkably mellow brew for a 10.5% BW. Nothing here to scare away a barleywine newbi. Might be a good recommendation as a craft lovers first steps into the style. (631 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

This beer isn't bad, I'm just not a fan of the hoppiness. As I figure out my tastes, I can easily say that strong citrus hops aren't my thing. As far as hippy beers go, this isn't awful. (187 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Consumed and reviewed: 12/15/10

This beer is released in January, so my bottle was almost a year old when consumed, so that could color the flavor profile, especially the hops.
Pours a dark amber with a pretty substantial head that holds its ground and leaves curtains of lace down the glass.

The smell is very sweet malts, a little tangy with a faint citrus aroma.

The taste is pretty deceptive: at first it seems like a regular barleywine: sweet malts, bitter faded hops. However, there is a nice spice profile that crops up in the middle and definitely makes this brew veer to the weird. It's the finish that really makes this "not normal". It has a nice fruity gum-ball and cotton candy flavor that would normally throw me for a barleywine loop, but really, strangely, evens this thing out.

The body is nice and thick with moderate carbonation. Goes down really easily as the alcohol is folded nicely into the brew.

I was lucky enough to get one bottle of this, but I really wish I could get it fresh in all of its hop glory. (1,038 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Finally getting around to posting a few more reviews... 2008 bottle, consumed over thanksgiving, pours, well, really slurps out of the bottle, a nearly opaque copper color with a slick, airy and dirty foam on top. Immediately the aroma hits reminding me of pine resin, caramel and pancakes! I have half an inclination to go mix a big IPA with some pancake mix after smelling this thing. I sip on it for a while as the taste is very oily and sweet, with a subtle finish of cherries and caramel. Have had several versions of this on draft and can definitely tell it has mellowed in the bottle over the year.

It's big, it has character and its not for everyday, but on thanksgiving it was perfect (694 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

This is a classic barleywine,pours a hazy brown goo,a solid 2 finger head that dissipates with some lacing whats left is a butterscotch toffee potion with a solid alcohol kick,it is a tad sweet as it should be,mouthfeel is chewy sweet mostly snickerdoodle cookie richness,I don't consider this beer highly drinkable because of its richness,one is enough for me (360 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

22oz blue wax bomber 2014 series

Pours a nice copper amber color a very thin head

Smells very sweet almost burgundy like apples

Not as fruity as it smells a bold first impression the hops and barley hit simultaneously but the hops as 3f hops tend to stick around burnt caramel, heavily hopped but hard to determine variety

Bold character masks high alcohol content, reminds me of a Rye PA I've had in the past but much stronger

A great barleywine for hopheads not sure what to pair it with great by itself but by the time I'm done with this bomber Ill be bombed. (570 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

A fabulous, albeit overpriced beer. This is really the only reason for the drinkability score. It hides its ABV very well, and I certainly feel I could easily drink a great deal of it otherwise. What others have said about the complexity of the flavor is definitely true. It's kind of strange...it tastes quite sweet initally and its only when the aftertaste comes does one realize how hoppy it is. The aftertaste is pleasantly long. Serving it not-too-cold definitely improves the flavor. (489 characters)

Having enjoyed this in Munster I naturally got some bottles to go.

A- Nice copper color with a thick and fine looking lacing.

S- Like a good barley wine, several zesty tangy fruits hit the nose first. A caramel smell in the back. A little tamer than on tap.

T- Just like the smell. Nice hops show up stronger than the smell and add good balance.

M- Nice body with good carbonation and pleasant smooth thickness. A little more carbonation on tap than I noticed in the bottle.

D- Drink it. I liked it better on tap but the bottles are still good of course. (560 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Sweet aroma, caramel, fruit and a bit of citrus. Pours to a thin head. Aroma is very well balanced of citrus hops, caramel malts, and small sweet notes of alcohol. Leaves some caramel on the palate with a hint of citrus. Nice and creamy, a great sipping beer. (259 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 red wax capped bomber, poured into a sam smith pint glass.

copper colored semi clear with an orange hue.

nice malt with hop fragrance

sweet at first but as it works over the tongue a bitter finish, slight alcohol burn.

big and syrupy nice, chewy.

excellent barleywine that I've been cellaring tastes as good as it looks, smooth
tasting for a 10.50%abv barleywine. (374 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Appearance: Dark amber with a head that sticks everywhere

Smell: strong caramel malt essence

Taste: hoppy with a strong barley flavor, a good couple of years in a cellar would do wonders

Mouthfeel: light with a bitter ending note

Drinkability: very good if on tap with my current year 5 years from now would be exquisite

excellent but needing a few years from the current vintage (2011) (391 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11%

P - 2012 release(red wax in ohio) into a snifter. 3/4 finger white creamy head with a dark orange/light brown color.

S - Wow, not what I expected. This smells like a nice DIPA. Citrusy,leather, earthly, awesome!

T - I've been trying to like barleywines, and this takes the cake. I'm a fan! Delicious, incredibly smooth for the ABV. Smooth up front, going into a nice hoppy mouthful with a nice alcohol presence. Cooked oranges/grapefruit. Not the "burn", but a nice known taste is present. Love it. Very impressed

M - Creamy, smooth, incredibly smooth. Moderate carbonation, just right. Nice dry aftertaste left in my mouth after every sip.

O - Really impressed. I will be looking for this beer in the future. This is the barleywine that makes me like barleywines!(though it is quite expensive!) (799 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

popped open a 2010 Behemoth about a week after the 2011 was released.
appearance - reddish orange, nice carbonation, great head retention
smell - hops on the initial whif, but a deeper smell reveals a malty sweetness
taste - good - i'm not a big fan of hops, but they have started to fade enough that some of the malts are becoming more apparant
mouthfeel - medium bodied, lingers on the back of the tongue
drinkability - glad I have a couple people to help me finish this bomber! doesn't drink like its 10.5%. :)

think i'll open another one in a year or two to see how it's changed. :) (591 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

Good Beer Sunday
2012 Red Wax, snifter
A - nice off white head poured straight down the middle, really nice lacing!
S - taste it before you smell it because the smell will throw you off. This beer smells like a hop bomb
T - ok, the smell really had me curious what this one was going to be like but its a different beer when you drink it. the hops are forward but the end note is barley wine. Its definitely sweet but not maple syrup sweet, its candied citrus/ white sugar sweet. the 10.5% is very well hidden
M - very nice, thick, par for the course
O - Overall I am not disappointed in this one and am really enjoying it. I like my BW's way more malty but I can also appreciate how well balanced this one it, its a great flavor, really well made beer. I don't know that I would go out of my way to get it again but would definitely be interested in trying variants. Not my favorite choice for the style but still a really great beer
Skol (939 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

This was a 2009 bomber of Behemoth. Admittedly, I'm an old drinker but a new reviewer. Also I don't have Barleywines too often so I think I was objective with my evaluation of it.

Appearance: Little to no head, light lace on top that clung to the snifter as I drank. The cloudy body was of a caramel hue.

Smell: Excellent part of the beer-- I suggest taking a deep draw as you sip. The smell is mostly fruit, particularly apples and cherries but there is a nice hoppy, pine scent underlying these fruit notes.

Taste: Strong fruit notes match the scent. I thought these might be overpowering but they were very well-balanced with hops. The sweets are on the front end, the hops on the back.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and rich but with a crisp hop finish that seems to dry the tongue in its wake. There is a nice presence of carbonation but it is far from excessive. I savored several swigs, swirling them around. A very good feel.

Drinkability: Behemoth is a great slow-sipper. I had it on a night after a long day. The weather outside was below freezing. This seemed an appropriate time for the beer. I enjoyed it immensely but I don't see it as an everyday drinker-- it struck me as a terrific "treat" beer. Maybe it was the sweetness that prompted such. (1,257 characters)

Behemoth Blonde Barleywine from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.