Blunder Buss (Smoking Trebuchet) - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Blunder Buss (Smoking Trebuchet)
No picture.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: MillRat on 06-27-2009

A smoked helles bock with a smoky, spicy nose and a crisp malt body.

Got on-tap at the brewpub in an imperial pint glass, very nice.

This one is very interesting I might add , it was formerly known as blunderbus, but this is the new name givin to this brew as posted on the 3 floyds chalk board and website.

App.- Amber , standard looking to me , the way it looked almost reminded me of an ale similar looking to alpha king or pride and joy. The foam head was about a quarter inch high , and the serve was a little chilled.

Smell- Very interesting ,I smell fruity components , such as white grape and maybe some raspberry in it , and some like hops , never smelled a beer like this.

Taste- Wow this is very different , I taste a fruity raspberry part at the very beginning then it moves on to a coriander spice taste and ends on a smoked note, very unique and it feels like they did a damn fine job mixing in all the flavors

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smoke like after taste that is very desirable, I can still taste it back on my full bellied belches.

And as for drinkability, very drinkable , great beer to enjoy a meal with and just relax with.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Had on-tap tonight at FFF

A- Came to me with a nice two finger head that seemed to be a eggshell color. Lacing came and went on the sides of the glass. By the time I was done with the beer there was no lacing left at all. This beer was quite clear with a deep yellow almost amber tint to it. Looks good.

S- First thing I notice about this beer is the smokey aroma coming from it. It almost reminded me of a smoked salmon smell with some deep bready style malts to it. I think the smoke aroma hangs onto other aromas and snuffs them out. Never the less my mouth watered a little bit and now I want some fish.

T- Bready malts come through for a split second before a huge smoke taste comes ripping across the tastebuds. This has a little light hop to it at the end....maybe some earthy hops but not much at all. When this beer warms up the smoke flavor hides behind a sweeter malt backbone. I prefer it colder personally.

M- This beer is medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation to it makes it erupt with flavor as it runs across the palate. Smoke flavor everywhere with this on the tounge and the after taste reminds me of a good smoked meat. Interesting mouthfeel altogether.

D- I could only drink this one once when I ordered it. My buddy couldn't finish his and so I did for him. I would only want a glass of this with some fish and go on to something else.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

smoked munich helles lager very much like a smokier version of schlenkerla's. abv was 5% or just over that to my recollection. clear gold, creamy white head. quite a bit of clean smokiness in the nose and some sweet bready malt. taste is light malt sweetness and a crisp drying finish with a noticeable, yet again clean, smoky flavor. light bodied, crisp, frothy. prominent smoke makes this an interesting take on this rare style (smoked helles lager), and would be a good pairing with smoked foods and some washed rind cheeses.

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at the Maproom
Served in a 14.75oz goblet

A nice slightly hazy golden liquid with a finger of soapy white head.

The nose is far more faint than I thought it would be. Light smokiness, a little bit of spicy hops and bread.

The first sip gives me the smokey malt, spicy hops, some other spices that I can't put my finger on. It coats the mouth and goes down fast. A very tasty brew for this cool July evening.

4.41/5  rDev +14.5%

Billed by FFF as a Helles Bock with smoke and spice flavors, this is "not normal" in a quintessential FFF way. The pint arrives at the table with a medium golden body with an unassuming ordinary white head. As the pint is lifted, the aroma grabs your nose and twists it into a question mark as it tries to sort out what lurks below. The first riff is smoky, like from applewood smoked bacon. The smoke is subdued, though, about a third of the intensity of a traditional Deutsch rauchbier, allowing the rich malty aroma to come through on its own merits. Hop aromas are minimal. The flavor is true to the aroma, with a solid melanoidin maibock flavor supporting a sprightly smoke taste dancing across the tongue. The hop bitterness is just sufficient to keep the malt from wearing out its welcome.

A very well crafted beer, certainly the easiest-drinking smoke beer I've encountered, and with the same deceptively light-footed full body of a true maibock.

Blunder Buss (Smoking Trebuchet) from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.