Bourbon Barrel Aged Moloko - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Bourbon Barrel Aged MolokoBourbon Barrel Aged Moloko

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Sean9689 on 08-06-2009

Our seasonal Milk Stout aged in bourbon barrels for one year. Chocolate, coconut, and vanilla liquid awesomeness.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.62/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on-tap into a snifter directly from the brewpub.

A - Pours jet black with a dark dark brown head. Head dissipates quickly, leaves OK lacing. Ruby highlights at the edges.
S - Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate sweetness dominate.
T - Wow. Malty sweet chocolate, bourbon, caramel notes at first. Sugary-sweet finish. Nice balance between the chocolate, lactose and bourbon. Restrained heat.
M - Smooth, slick, creamy. Good carbonation. Not too thick or heavy.
D - High. I almost gave this a 5 but I found there was JUST a bit much sweetness as it warmed. Regardless, inches from perfect, and the balanced bourbon presence is appreciated.

Overall - One year in a bourbon barrel has done wonders for an already stellar base beer (Moloko). I've been nothing but impressed with all the FFF barrel-aged offerings, and this is no exception. This not a bourbon assault but more of a balanced harmony between beer and booze. Well done.

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

*Based on tasting noted from 07 Aug 09 visit to the brewpub.*

Growing up, a nice big ol' thick glass of chocolate milk was ever so commforting, calming, soul soothing. As I got older and a little more world worn, I was able to grow a beard, buy beer for me and my underage friends, and beer crept in to fill that void. And in my 20's, well, sitting down with a nice bourbon was the cat's ass. Hell, the bourbon didn't even have to be that nice. Well, the brewers of Three Floyd's have managed to cram all three of these dear experiences into their Barrel Aged Moloko.
Oh lord... This was probably my favorite brew of the night, and me and my pals had quite a bit that night.
I've dreamt about the BA Moloko since that night, with it's bourbony, milk chocolatey, malty, milk sweetness, it's barely detectable alchohol, the ease of drinking it... ah...
It was presented to me in a snifter, pitch black and viscous, minimal cream colored head, the aroma of bourbon pronounced. Small notes of vanilla, but nothing too overwhelming. No hop aroma detected.
The initial taste was that of bourbon, followed by a mouth of milk chocolate and a touch of roast near the finish. Bourbon is there throughout. The alcohol is very well hidden and the mouthfeel is thick and creamy.
The standard Moloko was delicious, but this barrel aged offering was spectacular. Excellent effort by Three Floyds.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

On tap at FFF on 8/7/09.

A - Oily black body with a slim burnt mocha head that fully receded and deposited a bit of spotty lace around the snifter. Dark, opaque and menacing.

S - Exceptionally well-balanced nose with bourbon notes, vanilla sweetness, some roasted malt character and a subtle waft of alcohol.

T - Wonderfully blended concoction of tangy bourbon, sweet vanilla, chocolate and dark roasted malts with a hint of oak in the backend. A touch of earthy hops in the finish provides some bitterness and adds depth to the flavor profile.

M - Medium to full-bodied with an oily, viscous texture and moderate carbonation. A tad bristly on the tongue but not overly so. Finishes with mild sourness and alcohol warmth on the palate with some residual sweetness.

D - FFF does it again with an amazingly flavorful and highly drinkable brew. The alcohol remained quite restrained for a bourbon barrel-aged stout. I am really glad to have been able to sample this excellent stout.

2.8/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Had on tap at Three Floyds into a snifter/tulip consecutively after the regular Moloko.

Poured jet black, not much of a head to speak of aside from some bubbles forming a ring. Naturally with no head, there wasn't really any lacing left behind.

Aroma was pretty much straight bourbon, quite hot on the nose. I didn't really perceive any of the wonderful vanilla and oak notes that usually come with barrel aging. The stout itself barely managed to break through the bourbon but slight notes of chocolate made it through.

Taste was again straight bourbon. This time I struggled to pick up any of the stout properties. It tasted like I was drinking bourbon on the rocks. Quite hot on the way down. It's like all the characteristics of bourbon I don't like were transferred to the beer and none of the good came with it.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied, smooth, but the hot alcohol made it a bit bracing.

I was very disappointed in this one. I normally love bourbon aged beers but this one failed greatly. I'd take the regular Moloko over this any day. Double your serving size as well.

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Ink Jet Black color with a small nitro served head.

Smell: What can I say? Wonderful malty, bourbon stout smell. I thought that I was in Lynchburg, Tennessee.

Taste: The regular Moloko is a thick lactose-infused stout. With the addition of Bourbon char, the taste is much more balanced. The Whiskey flavor balances out the sweet lactose mouthfeel.

Mouthfeel: Like I stated before, the lactose level is balanced out by the Bourbon chips.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap @ the FFF Brewpub on 8/7/09. 12 oz pour served in a snifter.

Pours an absolute dense black, with a 1/2 finger of frothy milk chocolate colored head. Retains with some thickish bunching around the edges of the glass, leaving back some spotty lace and brown oils that coat the sides. The aroma starts with a shot of cola-like bourbon, that then gives way to the beefy sweetness of chocolate and milk. Dark roast adds to the fun, and I'm pleased to find that the spicy hop character of the orginal Moloko, which I like so much, is able to shine through the bourbon as well. Wood, vanilla, and warmth pull up the back of this, adding some nice complexity.

The flavors pretty much mirrors the aroma in the taste, with bourbon controlling the profile but still allowing the huge sweetness of the Milk Stout (milk chocolate, toffee, and roast) to be very much evident. Things end with a satisfying smack of vanilla, spice, and warmth. This was good but just didn't quite pack the bunch of the nose. The mouthfeel is full bodied, with a sharp prickle that matches the cola-like nature of the bourbon presence. There is a definite thicker feel underneath that carries all of that slick sweetness and oaky notes. The ABV is there in this, but I would definitely call it a steady sipper, as the alcohol never really got in the way.

Very nice. I'm a fan of the regular Moloko and the bourbon really messed well with the sweet nature of this. Not quite a barrel-aged monster or anything but this was a pleasant sipper to start off a great visit to the brewpub with.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

I had this one at the FFF Brewpub on 8/8/2009. Served to me in a medium sized snifter.

A= Like the regular Moloko, this stout poured a deep dark brown-black but with a smaller head. The dark tan head rose just 1/2" and quickly settled to a think cap. I was impressed that the head never completely disappeared though, seeing that this is a barrel aged beer.

S= Of course the bourbon plays a big role in the aroma, but I was still able to smell lots of sweet and roasted malts, light chocolate, some vanilla, a rich treacle scent, wood, and some alcohol. Complex and inviting!

T= Started off creamy and sweet, with caramel, milk chocolate, and molasses all making an appearance. The roasted grains added a hint of coffee and dark chocolate and just enough bitterness to take the edge off the initial sweetness. The bourbon was always there, but never really jumped all over the beer flavor. It was more of a balanced compliment (as bourbon barrel aged beers go). The middle showed some fruitiness and a subdued earthy hop profile. The finish showed a lot of alcohol but never seemed hot. Lovely aftertaste of roasted malt and boubon.

MF= Nice full body with a creamy, silky tongue-feel. Carbonation was surprisingly crisp for such a full beer, but it really worked.

D= I admit that I am a fool for the regular Moloko, and this met all my expectations. I think the nature of the base beer lends itself well to the addition of the bourbon barrel and the flavors are better than the sum of their parts. For what it is, the drinkability is quite excellent.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

2008 Moloko aged in Woodford Reserve barrels.

On tap at the Brewpub served in a small goblet.

A black liquid with dark amber highlights and a thin ring of mocha bubbles sits in front of me.

The nose is a little muted. I'm getting oak and a little cocoa and bourbon.

The first sip gives me a ton of bourbon, oak, semi-sweet cocoa, malted milk balls, and a little coffee

Mouthfeel is very slick.

I enjoy this beer, but I've never been too big on barreled milk stouts. One glass is all I can do right now.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

On-tap @ FFF.

A - Pours black with a small tan head. Not much lacing left behind at all. A small ring of head hangs onto the glass.

S - Bourbon, dark fruit, cream, slightly sweet chocolate

T - Creamy, slightly sweet, dark fruits. A really nice blend of creamy and fruity sweetness. The bourbon is a nice touch but in no way overpowers the rest of flavors at all.

M - Medium bodied and really full in flavor. Really covers the palate well.

D. very easy to drink for the barrel aging and style.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Bourbon Barrel Aged Moloko from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.