Arctic Panzer Wolf - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

A massive IPA that will leave your palate it’s hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

(Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009)
Reviews by Reaper16:
Reaper16

Alabama

4.43/5  rDev +4%

22oz. bottle served into a globe glass

Pours a bright, sunshine yellow color with plenty of orange highlights. A sudsy, off-white head builds up to 1.25 fingers or so, and is content to stick around a while. Lacing was merely iffy, but I think it was the fault of my glass. It looks sort of like a cough drop. Can't really complain about the appearance, it looks nice.

I love this aroma. It's a narrow, specific profile, but man does Three Floyds nail it. Lush bright stonefruit all over the place: peach, primarily, with apricot also making itself known. There's something that reminds me of a clementine, but sort of in a jammy/preserves kind of way. I suppose this could be what the label refers to as a "marmalade" note, because I don't smell marmalade. Beyond the stonefruit and citrus jam scents is a very vinous sort of citrus. My first instinct said Chardonnay, but I think it's more of an Alsace Riesling characteristic. All of this is backed up by some gentle pine. Lovely.

The taste follows the nose. That Riesling meets fresh stonefruit characteristic is going strong. The pine/grassy hop flavors are a little stronger on the palate, but they accentuate the brighter, fruitier hop flavors. The malts don't shy away in this beer; cracker-like, light, but present. It doesn't really taste all that much like honey, but there is a honeyed aspect in there... like a honey graham cracker but without the graham flavor. Honey cracker describes it exactly, whatever a honey cracker is. Don't be scared away just because I mention the malt. This isn't an East Coast IIPA by any means. I don't know how this will taste old; Three Floyds' more famous IIPA, Dreadnaught, is pretty much a malt-bomb when too old. I suspect that Arctic Panzer Wolf will not be as overtly malty in old-age, mostly because of the significantly reduced level of caramel malts here relative to Dreadnaught.

Not much active carbonation here. It's smooth, but traditional thinking says that carbonation accentuates the bright flavors. I was all set to score the mouthfeel a 3.5 for this reason, but I realized that the smoothness works well with the white wine-like flavor profile that this beer is going for. The consistent, focused flavor profile makes for a very, very, very drinkable IIPA. This is for people who love hop flavors but generally dislike hop bitterness.

This isn't in the same realm of complexity as Dreadnaught, but it's specificity and focus and overall deliciousness have significant merit. If you can try this beer, do not hesitate. Especially if you're someone who enjoys both hoppy beer and classic white wine varietals.

02-19-2011 18:50:41 | More by Reaper16
tectactoe

03-05-2014 12:15:50 | More by tectactoe
TCHopCraver

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

TCGoalie picked this up for me - thanks! Reviewed from notes made on 10/19/10.

A: Pours a murky golden-orange into a snifter. There is not much of a head of which to speak. What is there is egg-white in color. Some small yeast chunks flat in a beer bath. I cannot see the carbonation bubbles through the murk. Lacing forms on the glass in vertical sticky curves and dots.

S: Sweet aromas of peach and apricot are the main smells, supported by a dry, piney hoppiness. Borrowing from what the brewery says on the bottle, I can smell marmalade, along with creamy marshmallow. The dry hop aroma also speaks of grapefruit with deeper inhales. I also smell some nice dry biscuit and caramel malt sweetness.

T: Peach and apricot are also the dominant flavor upfront, combined with a tasty caramel malt sweetness. The creamy marmalade then carries the middle of the sip, followed by a dry pine, grapefruit, and biscuit finish. The dry taste lingers on my palate for a long time after each swallow. As the beer warms, the high a.b.v. becomes more present.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied and maybe a little lacking in carbonation. There is an interesting spicy sizzle on the my tongue. This could be from the yeast chunks floating in the beer.

D: APW is pleasantly sweet and puckering at the same time. It's not my favorite Imperial IPA (although Dreadnaught is from the same brewery), but it was quite enjoyable to imbibe.

10-30-2010 17:45:15 | More by TCHopCraver

06-04-2014 17:09:18 | More by Dabeel
poibag808

Hawaii

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

poured from 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Nice deep orange with about 1 finger white head. Head dissipated quickly.

S: lots of sweet orange and grapefruit/sweet fruits.

T: you get sweet citrus, similar to orange juice upfront. Some really sweet maltiness followed with a lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue.

good beer way more balanced then I expected it to be. Great beer.

12-02-2011 09:13:02 | More by poibag808

Kansas

07-10-2014 17:21:06 | More by joemetric
newk340

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A: a hazy golden orange, some sediment visible little to no head.

S: a broad citrus smell overshadows hints of pine and florals, well rounded, not overly bitter.

T: hops sizzle the palate throughout the sip, leaves a tingling aftertaste of tropical citrus fruits.

MF/D: an initial sizzle of carbonation leaves the tongue numb for a relatively smooth/dry finish, certainly would lose feeling in my face with more than 1 bottle.

09-15-2010 01:13:17 | More by newk340

csmartin6

08-24-2013 17:52:27 | More by csmartin6
warnerry

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours a clear honey color with two fingers of craggy white head with good retention and nice lacing.

S - Big aromas of grapefruit, florals and resiny pine hops.

T - Crisp hops, again with a lot of bitter grapefruit and pine, big floral taste. This was sweeter than expected from the aroma but finishes bitter, but not dry.

M - Medium, slightly sticky mouthfeel.

O - A really nice DIPA, and a nice contrast to Dreadnaught, which I prefer to this slightly.

02-27-2012 02:15:49 | More by warnerry
DWolf

12-31-2011 19:55:22 | More by DWolf
marvin213

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

It's a murky yellow-orange. The color itself isn't all that appealing--what's left after a post-explosive flush. And despite that imagery that's nothing short of disgusting, it looks delicious. The savior: a thick frothy head that would probably stay there forever were I never to take a sip. It's been several minutes since this one found it's new home in my DFH Signature glass, and only one small side has slightly dissipated. Even where that's happened, creamy froth coats the glass, and I still can see the top of the actual beer. It's among the best-looking froths I've ever seen. It beckons.

I read the bottle label, so I cheated a little. I probably wouldn't have found white wine, but chardonnay? Orange marmalade? Fruits, for sure. And lots of American hops. I've been hopped out lately, and sadly, even stouted out. I don't really like winter brews, so I've been leaning toward Belgian here at the turn of the year. But this beauty welcomes me back to the hop!

A little thin, honestly, is my first reaction. All of a sudden, the smell isn't as cool. No doubt I'm being critical--that's what I do when I write reviews--but it's missing something. It's good, but short of my sky-high expectations. I guess the hops are sufficient (I so don't want to say "more hops"), and it's the FEEL that seems lacking--too thin and dry. Is it fair? Should I share that I keep thinking about Hopslam's arrival as I sit here sipping? I don't know what to blame...I look back at the bottle and pick the Canadian malt (damn Canadians--j/k). It's not bitter enough. It's not sweet enough. Oh, geez, it's not Hopslam enough, okay? It's good but, unfortunately, forgettable. Still, it's good enough to drink all day. Thank you, Will (wilwfu), for this one--from a box so good nobody'd believe me if I listed its contents.

01-09-2011 21:12:43 | More by marvin213