Arctic Panzer Wolf - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Reviews: 690 | Hads: 3,377
Reviews by WastingFreetime:
3.54/5  rDev -15.3%

First of all, I feel the need to mention that I am puzzled that this beer does not show up on the Three Floyd's website, not even in the seasonal beer section. I just can't find it on their website at all. Is it about to be retired, I wonder? Moving on...

Label art is different on my bomber from the picture above on this website, it shows an up-close image of the face of a snarling wolf with blood red eyes.

Pours out flattish, weak carbonation, no lacing or head at all. This sort of thing is why I really wish 3Fs would date stamp their product. Getting brutally aggressive with pouring I can manage to generate a brief fizzy 1 finger white colored head that sputters out almost immediately, but that's the best I can get out of it. The color is a hazy opaque deep golden yellow, with some small pinhead flecks of sediment swirling about.

The scent is lemony fresh accents over a solid wall of grapefruit peel, very slight notes of pine pop up from time to time but they are scarce. The malt scent is unusually lighter than the typical IPA malt, this nose tells you that the brew is going to be a hop bomb in no uncertain terms before you even take a sip. I'm not, however, detecting the pineapple notes that everybody else is talking about. And I am most definitely not receiving the mango and other tropical fruits that are the signature stamp of the amazing Dreadnaught.

The flavor has a brief moment of Simcoe 'onion-ey-ness' before transforming straight into pine needley hop bomb accompanied by a fleeting light biscuit malt sweetness that fades out into a nice long dryer finish powered by hop oil and a minor dose of alcoholic booziness.

Body is on the thicker side of medium strength, but my carbonation is sorely lacking, which causes the hop oils to just lay there on my tongue like a dead trout on the riverbank. My tongue feels...slimy and gross after each sip.

This bottle gives the indication of not being the freshest it could be. Perhaps if consumed fresher I would have experienced an excellent carbonation, head, body, and the tropical fruits and pineapple that other BAs have mentioned. And if I ever do experience that in a fresher bottle, I shall have to come back and redo this review. But as it stands, my bomber was merely a slightly better-than-average IPA which could have been absolutely amazing but fell short from lack of the factors mentioned above. (2,392 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a semi-hazy medium amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a broken ring behind.

S- The pungent hop character is nicely balanced by the sweet malt backbone. The more I sniff, the more I see that the hop aroma is more grassy and earthy rather than citrusy.

T- Earthy hop flavor, sweet malt and an alcohol presence that's not too noticeable but certainly there all the same. This is treading on barleywine territory but the assertive bitterness keeps me from fully realizing that sentiment. There's even some raisin and other dark fruit flavor that would suggest this is closer to an ageable ale rather than an IPA that needs to be drank fresh.

M- Smooth. That's the only word that comes to mind because this 100 IBU beer is not sharp, tingly, bitey or anything, just smooth. I would almost say that's the coolest thing about this beer. Medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the fuller side.

O- I must admit, I was expecting more of a bitter hop bomb than what actually ended up in the glass. Dare I say, this is almost like an English-style DIPA with its sturdy malt presence and subtle hop usage. (1,328 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bomber into a snifter. Big aroma on this one, like many other 3F beers. I could smell this one as I was pouring it. Pours a cloudy copper with 1 finger's width of slightly off-white foam. Tons of carbonation all the way to the last sip. Nose is very floral and grassy-pine, grapefruit, and peaches. Medium weight and awesomely creamy mouthfeel. This thing drinks like a 6%'er. Slight bitterness up front on the taste, and a strong grapefruit presence. Lots of malt on the back end. Very well balanced. The aftertaste is a bit grassy/grainy with some lingering bittersweet flavor.

Overall, another impressive beer by the boys from Munster. This one is almost as good as Cimmerian sabertooth Berzerker, which I gave a 5. It all comes down to personal taste, of course, but this one was just a little too muted for me to consider it worthy of a 5. Still an awesome, awesome, awesome beer. I enjoyed every sip. (907 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful beer with great piney flavor and aroma. After the whole bomber, I wanted more. (88 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1%

TCGoalie picked this up for me - thanks! Reviewed from notes made on 10/19/10.

A: Pours a murky golden-orange into a snifter. There is not much of a head of which to speak. What is there is egg-white in color. Some small yeast chunks flat in a beer bath. I cannot see the carbonation bubbles through the murk. Lacing forms on the glass in vertical sticky curves and dots.

S: Sweet aromas of peach and apricot are the main smells, supported by a dry, piney hoppiness. Borrowing from what the brewery says on the bottle, I can smell marmalade, along with creamy marshmallow. The dry hop aroma also speaks of grapefruit with deeper inhales. I also smell some nice dry biscuit and caramel malt sweetness.

T: Peach and apricot are also the dominant flavor upfront, combined with a tasty caramel malt sweetness. The creamy marmalade then carries the middle of the sip, followed by a dry pine, grapefruit, and biscuit finish. The dry taste lingers on my palate for a long time after each swallow. As the beer warms, the high a.b.v. becomes more present.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied and maybe a little lacking in carbonation. There is an interesting spicy sizzle on the my tongue. This could be from the yeast chunks floating in the beer.

D: APW is pleasantly sweet and puckering at the same time. It's not my favorite Imperial IPA (although Dreadnaught is from the same brewery), but it was quite enjoyable to imbibe. (1,431 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Nice deep orange with about 1 finger white head. Head dissipated quickly.

S: lots of sweet orange and grapefruit/sweet fruits.

T: you get sweet citrus, similar to orange juice upfront. Some really sweet maltiness followed with a lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue.

good beer way more balanced then I expected it to be. Great beer. (389 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

A: a hazy golden orange, some sediment visible little to no head.

S: a broad citrus smell overshadows hints of pine and florals, well rounded, not overly bitter.

T: hops sizzle the palate throughout the sip, leaves a tingling aftertaste of tropical citrus fruits.

MF/D: an initial sizzle of carbonation leaves the tongue numb for a relatively smooth/dry finish, certainly would lose feeling in my face with more than 1 bottle. (429 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.