Arctic Panzer Wolf - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Ratings: 3,352 | Reviews: 709
Reviews by buschbeer:
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

22oz bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It's a sunset in a glass. It has hues of yellow, gold and orange. It has three inches of off white head.

S - It has a nice citrus aroma. I get orange, mango and grapefruit.

T - The taste starts out citrusy with grapefruit and finishes with some bitter pine.

M - Medium with moderate carbonation.

O - The finish is much more like a west coast IPA. I prefer the citrus midwestern IPA's.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a semi-hazy medium amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a broken ring behind.

S- The pungent hop character is nicely balanced by the sweet malt backbone. The more I sniff, the more I see that the hop aroma is more grassy and earthy rather than citrusy.

T- Earthy hop flavor, sweet malt and an alcohol presence that's not too noticeable but certainly there all the same. This is treading on barleywine territory but the assertive bitterness keeps me from fully realizing that sentiment. There's even some raisin and other dark fruit flavor that would suggest this is closer to an ageable ale rather than an IPA that needs to be drank fresh.

M- Smooth. That's the only word that comes to mind because this 100 IBU beer is not sharp, tingly, bitey or anything, just smooth. I would almost say that's the coolest thing about this beer. Medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the fuller side.

O- I must admit, I was expecting more of a bitter hop bomb than what actually ended up in the glass. Dare I say, this is almost like an English-style DIPA with its sturdy malt presence and subtle hop usage.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bomber into a snifter. Big aroma on this one, like many other 3F beers. I could smell this one as I was pouring it. Pours a cloudy copper with 1 finger's width of slightly off-white foam. Tons of carbonation all the way to the last sip. Nose is very floral and grassy-pine, grapefruit, and peaches. Medium weight and awesomely creamy mouthfeel. This thing drinks like a 6%'er. Slight bitterness up front on the taste, and a strong grapefruit presence. Lots of malt on the back end. Very well balanced. The aftertaste is a bit grassy/grainy with some lingering bittersweet flavor.

Overall, another impressive beer by the boys from Munster. This one is almost as good as Cimmerian sabertooth Berzerker, which I gave a 5. It all comes down to personal taste, of course, but this one was just a little too muted for me to consider it worthy of a 5. Still an awesome, awesome, awesome beer. I enjoyed every sip.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful beer with great piney flavor and aroma. After the whole bomber, I wanted more.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

TCGoalie picked this up for me - thanks! Reviewed from notes made on 10/19/10.

A: Pours a murky golden-orange into a snifter. There is not much of a head of which to speak. What is there is egg-white in color. Some small yeast chunks flat in a beer bath. I cannot see the carbonation bubbles through the murk. Lacing forms on the glass in vertical sticky curves and dots.

S: Sweet aromas of peach and apricot are the main smells, supported by a dry, piney hoppiness. Borrowing from what the brewery says on the bottle, I can smell marmalade, along with creamy marshmallow. The dry hop aroma also speaks of grapefruit with deeper inhales. I also smell some nice dry biscuit and caramel malt sweetness.

T: Peach and apricot are also the dominant flavor upfront, combined with a tasty caramel malt sweetness. The creamy marmalade then carries the middle of the sip, followed by a dry pine, grapefruit, and biscuit finish. The dry taste lingers on my palate for a long time after each swallow. As the beer warms, the high a.b.v. becomes more present.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied and maybe a little lacking in carbonation. There is an interesting spicy sizzle on the my tongue. This could be from the yeast chunks floating in the beer.

D: APW is pleasantly sweet and puckering at the same time. It's not my favorite Imperial IPA (although Dreadnaught is from the same brewery), but it was quite enjoyable to imbibe.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Nice deep orange with about 1 finger white head. Head dissipated quickly.

S: lots of sweet orange and grapefruit/sweet fruits.

T: you get sweet citrus, similar to orange juice upfront. Some really sweet maltiness followed with a lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue.

good beer way more balanced then I expected it to be. Great beer.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

A: a hazy golden orange, some sediment visible little to no head.

S: a broad citrus smell overshadows hints of pine and florals, well rounded, not overly bitter.

T: hops sizzle the palate throughout the sip, leaves a tingling aftertaste of tropical citrus fruits.

MF/D: an initial sizzle of carbonation leaves the tongue numb for a relatively smooth/dry finish, certainly would lose feeling in my face with more than 1 bottle.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours a clear honey color with two fingers of craggy white head with good retention and nice lacing.

S - Big aromas of grapefruit, florals and resiny pine hops.

T - Crisp hops, again with a lot of bitter grapefruit and pine, big floral taste. This was sweeter than expected from the aroma but finishes bitter, but not dry.

M - Medium, slightly sticky mouthfeel.

O - A really nice DIPA, and a nice contrast to Dreadnaught, which I prefer to this slightly.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

It's a murky yellow-orange. The color itself isn't all that appealing--what's left after a post-explosive flush. And despite that imagery that's nothing short of disgusting, it looks delicious. The savior: a thick frothy head that would probably stay there forever were I never to take a sip. It's been several minutes since this one found it's new home in my DFH Signature glass, and only one small side has slightly dissipated. Even where that's happened, creamy froth coats the glass, and I still can see the top of the actual beer. It's among the best-looking froths I've ever seen. It beckons.

I read the bottle label, so I cheated a little. I probably wouldn't have found white wine, but chardonnay? Orange marmalade? Fruits, for sure. And lots of American hops. I've been hopped out lately, and sadly, even stouted out. I don't really like winter brews, so I've been leaning toward Belgian here at the turn of the year. But this beauty welcomes me back to the hop!

A little thin, honestly, is my first reaction. All of a sudden, the smell isn't as cool. No doubt I'm being critical--that's what I do when I write reviews--but it's missing something. It's good, but short of my sky-high expectations. I guess the hops are sufficient (I so don't want to say "more hops"), and it's the FEEL that seems lacking--too thin and dry. Is it fair? Should I share that I keep thinking about Hopslam's arrival as I sit here sipping? I don't know what to blame...I look back at the bottle and pick the Canadian malt (damn Canadians--j/k). It's not bitter enough. It's not sweet enough. Oh, geez, it's not Hopslam enough, okay? It's good but, unfortunately, forgettable. Still, it's good enough to drink all day. Thank you, Will (wilwfu), for this one--from a box so good nobody'd believe me if I listed its contents.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

22 ounce bottle pours a hazy pale golden body with a healthy bonewhite head. Retention is excellent and sheet lacing falls into attractive patches.

Robust aroma is hop driven. Citrusy apricot, orange, and pineapple notes mingle with pine, mint, and grassy elements to serve up a really enticing bouquet.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Ample carbonation.

Taste opens with dry and bitter pine and grassy hops but the citrusy dimension is right behind. Apricot and orange marmalade flavors add a nice succulent touch. Just a hint of caramel to balance the hop bitterness. Malt presence is biscuity and subtle throughout, allowing the hops to reamin centerstage. Alcohol is deftly hidden. Finishes clean and even.

A masterpiece. I love a good citrusy IPA and this is one of the best. Hops are bright, green, fresh, and lively. Wish I had a case of these stashed away.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this beer.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is piney and orange hops. The flavor is more of the same with the orange citrus notes standing out more than the pine. I also get some caramel malt. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

First review on Beer Advocate, since I lost my beer journal. Happy to be here! The big hops and pine are impressively balanced. Bitter citrus would be overwhelming if not for the pine and 9% ABV. Personally love to hate on FFF whenever possible (Beer should only get credit for being good, not for being from a certain brewery) but impossible here. A great beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Presently splitting a bomber with my wife. Poured into a glass. Very nice orange color with alot of citrus on the nose. Very hoppy and fruity taste. Kind of a bitter aftertaste. I'd have to try them side by side, but IMO this is a bit mellower version of alpha king that allthough is good, didn't wow me like i was expecting it to. one bottle is plenty for me.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Hazy, somewhat dark yellow with a very white head and light lacing.

Smell: Pine, grapefruit, orange and some toasted & caramel malts. As it sits in the glass, it just starts smelling more bitter than anything else.

Taste: Citrusy upfront with grapefruit and orange. Some light toasted malts underneath, but it does not stand up to the hops. Bitter, pine-like finish.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, with a medium body that is a little creamy. Excruciatingly dry finish; a little warming as well.

Overall: This is a nasty mother of a DIPA, much more bitter than most for a beer that is over 9% abv. Much more bitter than Dreadnaught, and not as smooth and creamy. However, this is still a great DIPA when one is in the mood for some punishment.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

My bottle is three weeks old and the beer tastes fresh.
Big grassy, citrusy hoppy nose.
Hazy gold, lacy 1” foam cap, descends to a thick film, very fine bead, rouses quickly and provides fine lace.
Medium body with a firm malt backbone to support the big hops. Medium to medium low carbonation, fine creamy texture.
Cold there is a faint sweetness and the citrusy, grassy hop flavors dominate with a drying, lingering finish.
As it warms the initial sweetness and malt flavors grow and the hops mellow to produce a very well balanced, rounded beer.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

thanks to my dad for bringing this home from chicago!

22oz. bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter. no bottled on date, really...

pours out a hazy golden color, a little orange. 1 finger white creamy head, retentive, bits of lace.

big raw kind of spicy hops, strange fruits, apricot comes to mind first. maybe a bit muddled and yeasty? not sure what to make of the aroma. a sharp pine comes in as it warms.

big hoppiness, tastes like raw pellet hops, apricot like fruitiness, pine and grapefruit citrus. just a hint of a cracker like malt but its quickly overpowered by the hops. tastes a little muddled at times, maybe yeasty. big sharp lingering bitterness takes over the palate.

bigger side of medium bodied, no alcohol noticable, but there is some big hops with some kind of unfamiliar flavors that are not necessarily good, different. huge bitterness. this beer works for me, but at the same time i would pass this up for a lot of other cheaper/ easier to access DIPA's.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into an IPA glass

A - Pours a burnt orange with about a 1.5 finger head. Slightly murky with low carbonation.

S - Muted fruit. Grapefruit, orange, and a hint of lemon. There is a little touch of piney hops in the background. There is some dankness in there as well. No real malt presence that I can detect.

T - Thankfully a little stronger than the nose. Pine is the dominant flavor. I get some citrus on the back of the tongue and a little dankness mixed in.

M - I was expecting a much harsher finish based on the description. Prickly on the tongue, mildly bitter with just a tiny hint of alcohol.

O - Overall, I enjoyed this offering. I felt the nose could have been more pronounced but this bottle is about 8 weeks old so it could have mellowed. It can't shine Dreadnaught's shoes but it's hardly offensive either. I'd gladly drink this one again.

3.92/5  rDev -8%

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, dannyfrost!

Clear apricot in color with very little visible carbonation. This leaves irregular, webbed lines of lace down the glass.

Big notes of citrus, floral elements, and melon combine in the aroma. There's also some alcohol present.

Hugely bitter, with lots of citrus (pineapple), melon, and a bit of cracker. Some alcohol present. Though I love the style, and there's nothing wrong here, I can't drink a lot of this.

Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. Some alcohol harshness.

Decent enough, though I can't drink much at all of this. Above average.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice.

Appearance: Pours a somewhat hazy golden orange with a moderate amount of rising bubbles. One finger of white head that settles into a thin creamy layer. Leaves a good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A lively citrus forward aroma with a nice complex mix of fruit esters. Big hop scent upfront with hints of citrus orange peel, pineapple, mango, grapefruit, apricot, tangerine, and lemon. Also some grassy hops and pine resin spice. Some subtle undertones of white wine characteristics with a hint of grape. A fair amount of sugar. Bready soft malts with hints of cracker, biscuit, caramel, and yeast. A little scent of honey is also in the mix. Very good aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a ripe and juicy taste of citrus hop fruit esters. Big taste of ripe and bitter hops upfront with notes of citrus orange, mango, pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, and apricot. Along with the citrus is a taste of spicy pine resin and grass. A little hint of white grapes. Soft bready malts with notes of cracker, biscuit, caramel, grain, and yeast. Some sugar and honey adds some more sweetness. Very citrus forward, tropical, and juicy. A great West Coast style IPA taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, chewy, and fairly oily. Alcohol heat is hidden very well.

Overall: Another great imperial IPA from Three Floyds. Great tropical citrus hop flavors.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into 22oz snifter; hazy golden-orange with a fizzy/fluffy medium-thick white head that fades into a puck of foam which then slowly sinks, leaving a few chunks of lacing.
Smell is spicy pine and herbal hops, a bit of booze, some slight tropical fruits.
Taste is slightly sweet bready malt, then a slam of spicy pine/herbal hops that demolish all in their wake, leaving some slight sticky sweetness crawling towards the light with its legs blown off, before finally expiring in bitterness.
Mouthfeel is good, medium with nice carbonation.
Overall, although lately I've been more in the mood for citrusey/fruity IPAs/DIPAs, this is a great one if you have a grudge against your palate. Piney, bitter, drinkable for 9% although the flavor makes it a sipper anyway...a nice big, bitter DIPA.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Interesting, I did not know 3F was unfiltered. I poured half my 22oz bomber into a very cold glass, and got an extremely clear, mid amber-to light+ copper color, with less than 0.5 fingers of very fine head. When I poured the second half of my bomber into a (now) warm glass, I got very cloudy apricot/orange color with about 1.5 fingers of creamy, off-white/slightly beige head. In both cases the bubbles settled down into a thin film very quickly (less than a minute) inviting me to imbibe.

S: Smells very big. First pour had bits of sweet/sour grapefruits, grasses, malty breads, and tons of hops. My nose is a bit stuffed, but it still smells big. Second pour still smells big, but there are more sweets/malts than the first time.

T: Woaaah hops. First pour started with a muted sour/sweet start (less than it smells) but was quickly overtaken by light, biscuity malts. It finishes with big damp, sticky, piney hops. The second pour had a more pronounced apricot/grapefruit start, with the same malty and hoppy finish. Neither pour had any hints of alcohol at 9.00% abv.

M: Despite a pretty decent sheen on the liquid, it remains medium bodied, comparable to a heavier single IPA. Also fairly quick through the mouth (consistent with the body.) It's still an IIPA, but a little less tiring than others.

O: Great brew, and a great brewery. 3Floyd's gets a lot of craft-brew love, and they deserve it. Not my favorite 3F brew, but still a great DIPA. I just wish they distributed to my area :-(

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Never thought I'd see a beer (or label) inspired by Molly Hatchet's album art, but here we go (and thanks to Stubone for the trade). . .and in case anyone is wondering, that was a reference to the old label art, not the one they have displayed on BA:

More yellow than expected, albeit dark yellow, first thoughts were how it was similar in appearance to Stone's 14th. Color and haze on point. Aroma was also the grassy English hop dry feel to it.

Taste, now it departs with its comparisons to Stone's 14th. More pine in the taste, still has a degree of dryness to it, of course, its hoppy, just its more along the lines of the traditional big hoppy American DIPA than the English DIPA hops used in the aforementioned beer. Never overwhelming in any capacity, yes, big hops, big bitterness. Good degree of a variety of citrus flavor, pineapple to name one.

Heard its pretty expensive. But it is quite drinkable.

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

22oz into a Duvel Tulip. Brought back by a friend on a trip to Indiana. No date on the bottle.

Pours a hazy bright Yellow-Orange. Looks great. Dense, foamy head and tons of sticky lacing.

Nose is a little muted. I can pull out some yummy citrus hops. Wish it were a little more pronounced.

Great big bitter hop barrage. Citrus hops galore. My kind of DIPA.

Medium-thin and fairly dry. This is how a DIPA should be. Any heavier and it. Would enter barleywine territory. This is 100% India Pale Ale.

Overall, a delicious and well crafted brew. Impressive, even if it is way overpriced at $12.99 a bomber.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottled bomber, got to love FFF artwork, served in a weizen glass

A - a clear copper amber with a 2 finger fluffy white head with excellent retention and great thin lacing.

S - strong pine and citrus hops notes with a nice malt presence and a touch of alcohol, this olfactory preview is titillating.

T - starts a little sweet with caramel malts the the hop slam insues, heavy on the citrus grapefruit notes but a nice piney presence as well and a hint of grassy meadow. The hops adventure here is complex and the finish is bitterly bold but not overwhelming with a gret smooth etoh to balance the strong hops

M - medium body, mod carbonation, crisp

O - I really loved everything about this beer. Any DIPA fan should appreciate this brew. I'll be sure to pick another bottle up next time I see it.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Appears a glowing bright orange tinted glowing golden very pale appearance compared to most IPA/DIPAs. Large billowing slightly off white head that clings to the sides of my Gulden Draak chalice with no problem.

I used to have easy access to Three Floyd's at times it was available in the Burgh over the years, and more recently I had a steady supply in the state of Ohio. Distribution has been rumored to come back to the state, but I did have to trade with fellow Ohio BA sobeleg to get ahold of this one, thanks again Eric! I hope you enjoy the KBS, since he did have to go on a business trip to Indiana to find this one for me. One of my first 3F in almost 2 to 3 years that's kind of sad, today though is a happy day and this snarling Arctic Panzer Wolf with red eyes is proof of that.

Aromatics are awesome, once you crack the bottle hops are unleashed, bringing bright citrus highlights I'm saying grapefruit with a touch of lemon. Tropical fruits (mango/pineapple) with a bit of crushed aspirin very acidic in nature but so hoppy. Underneath all of the hop components there's definitely a nice pale malt bill going on light biscuit/cracker like malt complexity, no caramel thank god. Just a bit of juicy fruit with a back end breadiness, balancing things out nicely.

Flavor, what always sealed the deal for me with Dreadnaught was the balance, this beer seems to up the hops and still keep the balance. Big citric rind grapefruit notes coming up with excellent welcomed hop burps. Well hidden alcohol I can't believe this is around 9 percent abv absolutely no burn or discomfort. A nice riding light biscuit malt character adds just enough breadiness to it, along with those tropical fruit malts I mentioned in the nose definitely making their mark.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with excellent sturdy carbonation, nothing overpowers the palate, nice slick hop oils glide around with each sip. A very nice easy to drain type of DIPA, I'm hoping this beer makes another appearance...their website doesn't have much info on it.

Overall, great drinkable DIPA that you will crave intensely hoppy and satisfying for those of us who enjoy these beers. Well done as always they have a very low fail rate and more often than not their beers are awesome. Even lighter styles like the recent export style lager I had from them was a great version, these guys can brew and they're definitely on the map for more than just Dark Lord Day and mysteriously burning down every month.

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.