2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arctic Panzer Wolf - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

A massive IPA that will leave your palate it’s hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

(Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,508 | Reviews: 645 | Show All Ratings:
richkrull

Wisconsin

Poured a very cloudy golden color.

Smell is very very hoppy. Some pine notes with a bit of citrus coming through as well.

Taste is out of this world. Incredible hop flavor throughout. Delicious beer all around. Hint of citrus and great bitter finish. a bit of spice in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Easy to drink. Wish I had more of this one.

Loved this beer. Might be my favorite beer to date. Unfortunately it's about $9.50/22 but now that I found out it's distributed in Wisconsin, it will be a nice treat.

07-10-2011 01:52:14 | More by richkrull
JohnnyMc

An Imperial IPA from Three Floyds!!

Pours out a nice, slightly clear, slightly hazy orange with a one finger head.

The aroma is intensely hoppy. There are a ton of sweet citrus fruit notes, tropical notes, piney hops and fresh squeezed hops.

The taste is also extremely hoppy and very bitter. The same hop notes from the aroma come through here; mango, papaya, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, pine, fresh hops followed by a mild malt backbone. Very bitter, but the sweet tropical notes help to balance it somewhat.

It has a medium body and a crisp and dry mouthfeel and finish. No hint of the alcohol in the aroma or taste.

This is not only a great beer, but one that I can't see being improved!! A huge favorite of mine and another excellent beer from Three Floyds!

11-29-2012 04:44:33 | More by JohnnyMc
Kasabear

Indiana

Served from 22 oz bottle to a pint glass.
Look is golden brown.
Perfect head that hangs on perfect. I' say a pretty beer.
Smell if very complex . Give it another sniff and it is even more complex.
Taste is the best beer that I have ever had. Best by a bunch. Oh my citrus , but not fruity. Spectacular . Did I mention that it is the best that I have ever had.
Mouthfeel is perfect.
Overall is perfect.
Took 3 bombers to a party and it was the biggest hit ever.
I once had a dog follow me home from school.
At the party I had friends following me around like baby ducks.

03-19-2014 23:36:27 | More by Kasabear
ErikSkidmore

4.98/5  rDev +17.2%

This was my first imperial, since this imperial I have had a few and this one will definitely kill your taste buds with hops!!

A: The beer pours, what I would consider a little light for being an imperial IPA, it almost looks like an APA to me. But color doesn't mean too much as I have noticed with more beers I have had. The head is not too big considering its ABV.

S: Right away, the hops slap you almost melting your nose hairs right out. Extreme citrus, some grapefruit. Very piney and quite bitter even on the nose.

T: Hops, hops, hops and more hops!! Tons of hop bitterness, very piney, extreme citrus and it finishes very resiny. Definite pallet ruiner. Excellent for a hophead.

M: Medium-bodied, definitely a sipper.

O: Overall, this is a very good imperial. I was more than impressed with it. It was a little pricey, about 10.99 for a 24 oz bottle from the local beer store, but it is worth it.

08-27-2012 19:00:29 | More by ErikSkidmore
hopduder

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

a- beautiful golden amber color with sparkling clarity. a lack of head, but lace does drag down the glass.

s- the second that i opened the bottle i smelled the hops. subtle, sweet pine tree notes, ripe apricots, and hint of pineapple on the nose.

t- this is a pallet destroyer. after 5 sips my tongue is sticking to the roof of my mouth, and i embrace it. at the front of the pallet before the 5th sip: slight caramel sweetness, followed by big bold, but round bitterness on the back of the throat. no matter how you slice this beer down, there are hops from the taste buds in your nose, to the ones in your mouth, and when you burp it up to finish.

m- starts smooth and silky at the front of the pallet with the slight sweetness of the malts, then turns the rest of your mouth into beautiful tannic hoppy velcro with a slight honey like residual stickiness to the lips.

o- i love tannic, grippingly bitter iipas like this, and find it an exceptional take on the style. i only wish that i lived somewhere that i could drink this on the regular (i live in houston, Texas)

cheers, and kudos to 3fLoys

-aRs-

08-19-2011 09:07:58 | More by hopduder
Qwest_35

4.96/5  rDev +16.7%

This is my first APW, thanks to mpayne5! Wow! I am loving this stuff! It feels like the wolf on the label just bit my face off. This stuff is not for beginners! A true citrus-hop bomb indeed. Pours a hazy orange-copper, with a thin creamy head that dissipates fairly quickly which is fine with me. Where do I start with the aroma? The only way I can describe it, is like freshly sliced fruit salad sitting on a bed of pine needles. I gotta say, this is one of the best smelling DIPA's I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. To say this beer is a hop-bomb is an understatement! Big hop's way up front, yet sweet and malty on the finish, and it tickles my nose like champagne. I can't say enough good things about this beer, If you see it, get it! If you don't get it in your area, trade! I know I am gonna, again!

04-05-2013 22:04:32 | More by Qwest_35
cpz28

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

What's in a name?:

Cold, Northern-most, tank, canis
What could possibly stack up to Dreadnaught? Who could brew a worthy opponent? Uh, the very people who brought you Dreadnaught, dummy. They call their pales milds and wheats, their IPAs pales, and tend to skip IPAs, opting for double IPAs. And I like it, all of it.

A- Cloudy with a guarantee of orange. In fact if there ever was a beer that was orange, this is it.

S- Lemon, citrus, vanilla-oak, cream, more citrus

T- Bitter, huge sharp bitterness up front. Hops, hops, hops. Malt backs up the big orange-citrus blast just enough. Dry finish. This is a quintessential IIPA

M- Perfectly carbonated and dangerously drinkable, with each sip making you want another.

O- Unlike Dreadnaught, the bombers are just as good as the draft. This beer is very different from Dreadnaught but still a Floyds beer.

06-16-2011 23:21:42 | More by cpz28
Auraan

Arizona

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured a rich orange with a slight half finger of white head that quickly dissipated leaving slight lacing. Scents of citrus hops, malt, slight white grape and hints of molasses. Flavor begins with a hit of dry malt, overwhelmed by bitter hops, moves into grapefruit pith and citrus hops and finishes dry with a bitter grapefruit pith flavor and aftertaste. There is a slight sweetness from the malt but it is overwhelmed by the hops. Definitely a hop bomb. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with moderate carbonation, quite easy to drink. It hides it's alcohol fairly well. A very good hop bomb IIPA. An even more hop forward Hop Stoopid, beyond Hopslam, Ruination, Hoptimum and 90 Minute and it even comes across as more hop forward than 120 Minute, as it lacks much of the sweetness. A great hophead DIPA, I am glad I finally got to try it. Just a shame about that distribution.

04-19-2013 07:21:19 | More by Auraan
JamesS

4.93/5  rDev +16%

Pours a very nice light copper/orange color with great head and wonderful lacing. Hugely wonderful scent with great citrus hop tones that wave in with orange, pineapple, and grapefruit, along with a wonderful sweet malty backing. Great flavor, a very deep maltiness that makes a wonderfully thick ale flavor to start with a huge hop finish, notably grapefruit, pineapple, and a wonderful piney taste. Goes down wonderfully smooth for such a high ABV beer. Great stuff from Three Floyds once again.

11-09-2010 01:12:58 | More by JamesS
expression

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

This is a seriously beautiful beer. I haven't written a review here yet, so please give me a little slack. Tried this beauty @ the Comet Cafe in Milwaukee, WI. Wow. I didn't expect such a big hop drop to finish so smooth. I admittedly drank 2 right off the bat, and with an alcohol rating this high, it was a bold choice at one in the afternoon. It looked gorgeous served in a goblet, and went great with my lunch. My bartender told me it doesn't usually make it out of the brewery, but I haven't looked into that claim. Really good stuff. If you're a fan of Gumballhead, try to get your hands on this.

10-26-2010 04:49:26 | More by expression
Bighuge

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Fuzzy peach colored body. Hazy and chunky. Lots of yeast particles floating around. Not a bad thing. Thin creamy off white head leaves spotty lace. Awesome hop aroma. Very fragrant. Fresh and grassy. Minty. Piney. Flavor is more of the same. Fresh and bright. Orange marmalade. Piney. Grassy. Citric. Bitterness is very clean. Faint biscuit malts. Also passion fruits and peach, apricot and nectarine. Light-medium body. Dry. Carbonation is light. Dry finish. Very tasty and very drinkable. 9% alcohol is barely detectable. High quality DIPA here.

11-18-2010 21:25:58 | More by Bighuge
MacQ32

South Carolina

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

Thanks to Boilermakerryan for this one!

A - Pours a hazy golden straw orange with nearly 2 fingers of light, fluffy tan colored head. Nice retention, fantastic lacing!

S - Tons of sweet juicy fruits (much more so than the dreadnaught I had yesterday). Tons of mango, pineapple, grapefruit citrus. Reminiscent of the dreadnaught for sure, but much less resinous and wayyyy more juicy sweet/citrusy.

T - Lots of citrusy grapefruit and pineapple flavors with a nice wet bitter hoppyness. Astringent hops and mild alcohol flavors come in. Slight pepper and lots of mango/pineapple/juicy fruits follow immediately. The aftertaste is bitter, astringent hops with some sweet sharp citrus (lemon-like).

M - Medium bodied, the bitter fruityness makes it quite refreshing and drinkable even at 9% and semi-thick. Appropriate/someone heavy carbonation.

O - Fantastic! Enjoyed this one more than Dreadnaught (although I really loved them both). I'm thinking of this as a 2 hearted ale on steriods (big time).

06-18-2013 00:38:52 | More by MacQ32
mattboyer182

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange with a thin whiter head and good lacing.

S - Smells of grapefruit, lemons, pineapple and pine. Not a lot of other detections other than hops.

T - Tones of bitter and then it comes sweet from the citrus. It has a nice lingering after taste.

M - Medium bodied and medium carbonation.

O - Great brew. Three Floyds Has magical IPA's. Ive never had a bad one.

09-15-2011 21:39:11 | More by mattboyer182
DocJitsu

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a crystal clear, classic golden color with an egg shell/vanilla colored, fat, foamy head. Hop vegetable matter is noted floating after the second half of the bomber is poured. The head retention is better than average. I stick my nose in and, hello grapefruit! Lovely, lovely grapefruit. Mouthfeel is nearly as lovely. Soft, full, wet, but not juicy. The hop hotness cuts what otherwise might express as juiciness. Perfect amount of carbonation scrub on the back of the tongue. Megagrapefruit, some pine around the edges of the tongue, light sulfur, and a bit of onion. This beer's my hero. One of the best from FFF, in my opinion.

12-27-2012 19:32:39 | More by DocJitsu
sheepdog87

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My daughter sent me a bottle of Arctic Panzer Wolf and Dreadnaught from Wisconsin (what UPS doesn't know...)
Dreadnaught is a real rival to Pliny the Elder but I think I like Arctic Panzer Wolf a little more (please God, forgive me!)
Appearance is hazy golden color, showing some character. Nice off-white head with good lacing as the glass empties.
Mouth feel is very good - a good amount of carbonation.
Taste: Citrus, almost tangerine, a hint of apricot, and pine taste - since I am from the Left Coast, what I consider a great IPA taste. Nice that you can taste some malt coming through the citrus/pine.
I really liked the taste and the smoothness - no bite, just smooth and easy to drink!

01-30-2013 03:04:24 | More by sheepdog87
ngandhi

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

This is, without contest, the very best imperial IPA on the market today. But, more than that, it's in many ways the whole history of American IPA. It has the fresh, citrusy hops that the West Coast brewers made so popular over the last five years in their pale ales. It takes on the oily texture of Rogue I2PA, Bear Republic's Racer X, and Victory Hop Wallop. And it has enough alcohol to lay you on your ass.

It's a maltier cousin of the groundbreaking Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA, and somehow that extra bit of malt makes it a better beer. Maybe it's more balanced. Or maybe the malt sugars just carry the alcohol to your brain faster. Ripe with flavors and aromatics of the greatest pineapple you've ever seen, sharp, grippy hops, and a long, resiny hop finish, it combines the key elements of pleasure and torture. S&M in a glass.

I love you, I hate you, and now I'm going to take my pants off.

Serving type: growler

11-17-2009 04:28:07 | More by ngandhi
MrGaryFish

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Review #2. Purchased at the FFF brewery at DLD 2011. Reviewed 5/6/11. Poured into Green Man snifter at 50*

A: Golden orange hue with 1 finger of white fluffy head. Moderate lacing.

S:Smells mostly of resiny pine and a little citrus in the background

T: Solid initial bitterness followed by decent malt backbone, much more citrus flavor than the aroma, equal resinous pine and orange and tangerine flavors give way to solid lingering bitterness. No alcohol detected whatsoever.

M: Low to moderate mouthfeel, not watery but lack of viscosity

O: Fantastic example of an imperial IPA, hops not overbearing or overly bitter. Excellent balance between piney and citrusy hops. Nice lingering bitterness, somewhere between 70-100 IBUs. I can't imagine what this tastes like super fresh, so I guess I'll have to seek out some more APW when it is released next.

05-06-2011 22:10:48 | More by MrGaryFish
dancingnancie

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Made my first trip out to FFF today. I picked up a growler of APW, and a few bombers and different six packs. Those reviews are to come.

A: Beautiful golden transparent pour with a decent two fingers worth of head and some nice lacing.

S: The smell of this beer is absolutely amazing. It has a pungent hops aroma. It is really one of my favorite smelling DIPA's. You can pick up some of the nice malts as well.

T: When you first put this beer to your lips, you get hit with the nice malts, and then the floral hops shine. This is such a great DIPA. The alcohol is hidden exceptionally well. If this were more readily available, it would be a staple in my fridge.

M: This has a nice creamy mouthfeel. It is a little lighter in my opinion than dreadnaught. A very nice mouthfeel.

O: I absolutely love this beer. This is probably the best DIPA I have experienced thus far very early on in my craft beer experience. I haven't been let down by any FFF beer. Great job!!

Serving type: growler

05-17-2011 20:31:10 | More by dancingnancie
wvsabbath

West Virginia

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Light grapefruit yellow, nice 1 inch white head, some lacing.

Smell - Intense citris hops, hop oil, orange, plenty of pine.

Taste - Major piney floral hops, lots of orange and grapefruit also. Some apple and a little bit of malt comes out at the end.

MOuthfeel - For such a hop bomb, very nice on the mouth. Sure tougne and palette gets hop crushed, but its not a alcohol crush on top of it, and the hops are sweet also. Aftertaste is nice hop orange and grapefruity.

Overall - Superb, way to easy to drink for a 9% double ipa. Alcohol is really masked well, and even a little malt comes out to really make this impressive. One of the best dipa's ive ever had.

12-13-2011 03:56:32 | More by wvsabbath
Rob315

Kentucky

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 220z bomber into a tulip.

Look: Hazy burnt orange, with a 1 1/2 finger white foamy head that leaves lacing sticking all over the glass.

Smell: Heavy citrus sweetness, pineapple, grapefruit, mangos, peaches, slight piney resin notes.

Taste / Mouthfeel: Huge hop bitterness hits the taste buds hard upfront, followed immediately by ripe fruity sweetness heavy notes of juicy pineapples, mangos, and grapefruits. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy, finish is crisp and bitter. Sweetness is left lingering for awhile in the after taste, awesome.

Overall: An all out assault on the pallet, incredible hop presence and layers of complexity make this an incredible DIPA, one of the best I've ever had.

01-14-2012 19:29:53 | More by Rob315
AleWatcher

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

This is on tap at Finnegan's in Plainfield IL right now... I had a glass earlier and decided to go home and crack my last bottle. I kept in the "cold fridge" since I picked it up at FFF. Poured into a tulip pint and served around 43 degrees.

Wow. I don't know what I gave this when I had it at FFF, but right now, this is getting a HUGE positive rating. This beer is rocking my world right now, and I'm so glad Three Floyds has decided to brew this regularly!

The beer is a nice golden color. Slightly hazy with a 3 finger white head and tons of lacing. Retention is quite solid to boot. A light, slightly sweet malt base is there just enough to offer the hops something to anchor themselves to. The hops explode with crisp juicey pineapple, grapefruit, and perhaps a touch of pine. A fresh floral note makes an appearance towards the finish.

The taste is exactly what the nose got me excited for-- a clean malt bill: no overwhelming sweetness, no sticky cloying taste-- just clean and light malts that really keep this brew light and easy drinking. The hops come out with guns blazing. Big fruit and citrus notes and a little floral bite... Not really tasting any pine, but the lingering bitterness is strong and sticky.

This a tasty beer that I will certainly grab a few growlers of when I need to send out some boxes- ;-)

The body is lighter than medium, with a good amount of carbonation. Here is the only pointthat I have ANY complaint about-- it feels a little too oily. It isn't bad at all-- but I wish it was more prickly than oily. In any case-- this beer is excellent and very easy to drink.

09-02-2010 19:24:50 | More by AleWatcher
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Picked this one as an extra when I stopped at 3 floyds for a case of gumballhead on a recent trip north to visit family, and so glad I did. It's not often I get my hands on one of 3 floyds' limited releases because they're swooped up in no time. Anyway, onto the review...

Appearance -- As others have said before me, this is a very cloudy beer, tangerine like in color. Some head after an aggressive pour into my Duvel tulip, but the head dissipates rather quickly after a couple swigs of this fine concoction.

Smell -- Some have compared the smell to Dreadnaught. I find it smells like no other 3 floyds brew. Somewhat fruity, not as hopped up as I would assume an imperial india pale might be. To me, it smells like a cousin of Bell's Hopslam, with a honey undertone to the hoppy goodness.

Taste/Mouthful -- Here's where 3 floyds knocks this one out of the park. Maybe because it's still relatively fresh, maybe just because this is a superbly put together brew. I'm pairing this with a Jack's pizza after work and I cannot wait for the pizza to cook. This is my favorite 3 floyds beer to date. What an intense mouthful, a whirlwind of flavors going on in my mouth and I'm sorry I only picked up one of these gems to enjoy.

Drinkability -- I don't know if I could put away more than two of these in one sitting but it'd be worth a try. Great job 3 floyds!! Definitely my favorite craft brewer. Love your Gumballhead, Robert the Bruce, Dreadnaught. . . but this one blows them all away.

09-09-2010 06:01:48 | More by cadizkyguy
YumYumGumGum

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Yellow with one finger of head. Small amount of sediment and strong lacing.

S - Almost as much floral as hops. Sweet smooth hoppy aroma, maybe dry-hopped cascade and simcoe-esque. Fantastic.

T - Great DIPA / Imperial. Kind of a sharp or quick taste of bitter hops on the front of the tongue, but then it goes down like a smooth day-drinking beer. Great flavor and an IPA that doesn't rip out your tongue. Seems like a great one to mix into a tasting because it a great show of a DIPA and easy on the pallet.

M - Medium carbonation. Light and didn't feel any of the sediment I saw.

O - Three Floyds is always expensive, but 16$ a bottle includes shipping. I recommend whatever you can get from this brewery, and this is the best I've had yet. Thanks to 3F!

08-30-2011 15:35:32 | More by YumYumGumGum
Hoptometrist

Oregon

Served on tap into a tulip glass at 101 Bottles

A- Poured a super bright and hazy golden orange color with a nice fluffy head that left tons of chunky lace. Really incredible looking beer

S- Amazing aroma full of pineapple juice, citrus, and tropical fruit. Very pungent and powerful aroma.

T- Big pineapple, citrus, and tropical fruit flavors, as well as floral notes. Finishes with assertive bitterness, but not as palate wrecking bitter as I expected

M- This beer finishes ultra dry, definitely the driest beer I have ever had. Pretty high carbonation up front and drinks pretty smooth.

O- This DIPA is in the same class as Ruination but drinks a lot smoother and the aroma and taste of this beer are incredible and unlike anything else I have had.

01-11-2012 20:21:00 | More by Hoptometrist
LiquidBread219

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

A= Golden Yellow it was dark and hazy with a small head.

S= It has a citrus smell kind of like a orange and grapefruit mix. There is also a pine smell going on in this beer.

T= You taste the citrus but to me it is small at first there is big pine taste in this beer the aftertaste is sweet like a carmel.

M= Great beer it's got enough carbonation that really makes it go down easy for me.

D= For a 9% IPA it's going down smooth this is really a great beer difently worth checking this one out.

09-06-2010 02:29:02 | More by LiquidBread219