Arctic Panzer Wolf - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Reviews: 699 | Hads: 3,403

Poured a very cloudy golden color.

Smell is very very hoppy. Some pine notes with a bit of citrus coming through as well.

Taste is out of this world. Incredible hop flavor throughout. Delicious beer all around. Hint of citrus and great bitter finish. a bit of spice in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Easy to drink. Wish I had more of this one.

Loved this beer. Might be my favorite beer to date. Unfortunately it's about $9.50/22 but now that I found out it's distributed in Wisconsin, it will be a nice treat. (527 characters)

Served from 22 oz bottle to a pint glass.
Look is golden brown.
Perfect head that hangs on perfect. I' say a pretty beer.
Smell if very complex . Give it another sniff and it is even more complex.
Taste is the best beer that I have ever had. Best by a bunch. Oh my citrus , but not fruity. Spectacular . Did I mention that it is the best that I have ever had.
Mouthfeel is perfect.
Overall is perfect.
Took 3 bombers to a party and it was the biggest hit ever.
I once had a dog follow me home from school.
At the party I had friends following me around like baby ducks. (573 characters)

Poured a cloudy medium gold, with about one finger of short-lived head. Left lacing. I noticed the pine and apricot in the aroma, as well as the taste. Less so the white wine and marmalade. It was reminiscent of a dry white in its texture and mouth feel, so that might be the reference. Has significant carbonation, which makes it a slower drinker, not at all bad given its ABV. A great Imperial IPA. (400 characters)

Without doubt one of the finest beers I've had the pleasure to drink. Amazing aromas and flavours, and so perfectly balanced that it's in a very select few beers I've tasted that is outstanding at any temperature. (213 characters)

An Imperial IPA from Three Floyds!!

Pours out a nice, slightly clear, slightly hazy orange with a one finger head.

The aroma is intensely hoppy. There are a ton of sweet citrus fruit notes, tropical notes, piney hops and fresh squeezed hops.

The taste is also extremely hoppy and very bitter. The same hop notes from the aroma come through here; mango, papaya, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, pine, fresh hops followed by a mild malt backbone. Very bitter, but the sweet tropical notes help to balance it somewhat.

It has a medium body and a crisp and dry mouthfeel and finish. No hint of the alcohol in the aroma or taste.

This is not only a great beer, but one that I can't see being improved!! A huge favorite of mine and another excellent beer from Three Floyds! (774 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

a- beautiful golden amber color with sparkling clarity. a lack of head, but lace does drag down the glass.

s- the second that i opened the bottle i smelled the hops. subtle, sweet pine tree notes, ripe apricots, and hint of pineapple on the nose.

t- this is a pallet destroyer. after 5 sips my tongue is sticking to the roof of my mouth, and i embrace it. at the front of the pallet before the 5th sip: slight caramel sweetness, followed by big bold, but round bitterness on the back of the throat. no matter how you slice this beer down, there are hops from the taste buds in your nose, to the ones in your mouth, and when you burp it up to finish.

m- starts smooth and silky at the front of the pallet with the slight sweetness of the malts, then turns the rest of your mouth into beautiful tannic hoppy velcro with a slight honey like residual stickiness to the lips.

o- i love tannic, grippingly bitter iipas like this, and find it an exceptional take on the style. i only wish that i lived somewhere that i could drink this on the regular (i live in houston, Texas)

cheers, and kudos to 3fLoys

-aRs- (1,110 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This was my first imperial, since this imperial I have had a few and this one will definitely kill your taste buds with hops!!

A: The beer pours, what I would consider a little light for being an imperial IPA, it almost looks like an APA to me. But color doesn't mean too much as I have noticed with more beers I have had. The head is not too big considering its ABV.

S: Right away, the hops slap you almost melting your nose hairs right out. Extreme citrus, some grapefruit. Very piney and quite bitter even on the nose.

T: Hops, hops, hops and more hops!! Tons of hop bitterness, very piney, extreme citrus and it finishes very resiny. Definite pallet ruiner. Excellent for a hophead.

M: Medium-bodied, definitely a sipper.

O: Overall, this is a very good imperial. I was more than impressed with it. It was a little pricey, about 10.99 for a 24 oz bottle from the local beer store, but it is worth it. (909 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +18.7%

This is my first APW, thanks to mpayne5! Wow! I am loving this stuff! It feels like the wolf on the label just bit my face off. This stuff is not for beginners! A true citrus-hop bomb indeed. Pours a hazy orange-copper, with a thin creamy head that dissipates fairly quickly which is fine with me. Where do I start with the aroma? The only way I can describe it, is like freshly sliced fruit salad sitting on a bed of pine needles. I gotta say, this is one of the best smelling DIPA's I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. To say this beer is a hop-bomb is an understatement! Big hop's way up front, yet sweet and malty on the finish, and it tickles my nose like champagne. I can't say enough good things about this beer, If you see it, get it! If you don't get it in your area, trade! I know I am gonna, again! (815 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured a rich orange with a slight half finger of white head that quickly dissipated leaving slight lacing. Scents of citrus hops, malt, slight white grape and hints of molasses. Flavor begins with a hit of dry malt, overwhelmed by bitter hops, moves into grapefruit pith and citrus hops and finishes dry with a bitter grapefruit pith flavor and aftertaste. There is a slight sweetness from the malt but it is overwhelmed by the hops. Definitely a hop bomb. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with moderate carbonation, quite easy to drink. It hides it's alcohol fairly well. A very good hop bomb IIPA. An even more hop forward Hop Stoopid, beyond Hopslam, Ruination, Hoptimum and 90 Minute and it even comes across as more hop forward than 120 Minute, as it lacks much of the sweetness. A great hophead DIPA, I am glad I finally got to try it. Just a shame about that distribution. (875 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

What's in a name?:

Cold, Northern-most, tank, canis
What could possibly stack up to Dreadnaught? Who could brew a worthy opponent? Uh, the very people who brought you Dreadnaught, dummy. They call their pales milds and wheats, their IPAs pales, and tend to skip IPAs, opting for double IPAs. And I like it, all of it.

A- Cloudy with a guarantee of orange. In fact if there ever was a beer that was orange, this is it.

S- Lemon, citrus, vanilla-oak, cream, more citrus

T- Bitter, huge sharp bitterness up front. Hops, hops, hops. Malt backs up the big orange-citrus blast just enough. Dry finish. This is a quintessential IIPA

M- Perfectly carbonated and dangerously drinkable, with each sip making you want another.

O- Unlike Dreadnaught, the bombers are just as good as the draft. This beer is very different from Dreadnaught but still a Floyds beer. (857 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours a very nice light copper/orange color with great head and wonderful lacing. Hugely wonderful scent with great citrus hop tones that wave in with orange, pineapple, and grapefruit, along with a wonderful sweet malty backing. Great flavor, a very deep maltiness that makes a wonderfully thick ale flavor to start with a huge hop finish, notably grapefruit, pineapple, and a wonderful piney taste. Goes down wonderfully smooth for such a high ABV beer. Great stuff from Three Floyds once again. (497 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

My bottle is three weeks old and the beer tastes fresh.
Big grassy, citrusy hoppy nose.
Hazy gold, lacy 1” foam cap, descends to a thick film, very fine bead, rouses quickly and provides fine lace.
Medium body with a firm malt backbone to support the big hops. Medium to medium low carbonation, fine creamy texture.
Cold there is a faint sweetness and the citrusy, grassy hop flavors dominate with a drying, lingering finish.
As it warms the initial sweetness and malt flavors grow and the hops mellow to produce a very well balanced, rounded beer. (555 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Thanks to Boilermakerryan for this one!

A - Pours a hazy golden straw orange with nearly 2 fingers of light, fluffy tan colored head. Nice retention, fantastic lacing!

S - Tons of sweet juicy fruits (much more so than the dreadnaught I had yesterday). Tons of mango, pineapple, grapefruit citrus. Reminiscent of the dreadnaught for sure, but much less resinous and wayyyy more juicy sweet/citrusy.

T - Lots of citrusy grapefruit and pineapple flavors with a nice wet bitter hoppyness. Astringent hops and mild alcohol flavors come in. Slight pepper and lots of mango/pineapple/juicy fruits follow immediately. The aftertaste is bitter, astringent hops with some sweet sharp citrus (lemon-like).

M - Medium bodied, the bitter fruityness makes it quite refreshing and drinkable even at 9% and semi-thick. Appropriate/someone heavy carbonation.

O - Fantastic! Enjoyed this one more than Dreadnaught (although I really loved them both). I'm thinking of this as a 2 hearted ale on steriods (big time). (1,001 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +17%

Fuzzy peach colored body. Hazy and chunky. Lots of yeast particles floating around. Not a bad thing. Thin creamy off white head leaves spotty lace. Awesome hop aroma. Very fragrant. Fresh and grassy. Minty. Piney. Flavor is more of the same. Fresh and bright. Orange marmalade. Piney. Grassy. Citric. Bitterness is very clean. Faint biscuit malts. Also passion fruits and peach, apricot and nectarine. Light-medium body. Dry. Carbonation is light. Dry finish. Very tasty and very drinkable. 9% alcohol is barely detectable. High quality DIPA here. (547 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

This is a seriously beautiful beer. I haven't written a review here yet, so please give me a little slack. Tried this beauty @ the Comet Cafe in Milwaukee, WI. Wow. I didn't expect such a big hop drop to finish so smooth. I admittedly drank 2 right off the bat, and with an alcohol rating this high, it was a bold choice at one in the afternoon. It looked gorgeous served in a goblet, and went great with my lunch. My bartender told me it doesn't usually make it out of the brewery, but I haven't looked into that claim. Really good stuff. If you're a fan of Gumballhead, try to get your hands on this. (602 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A; Great pour. Light, yellow tint
S: fresh and pungent. Some Fruit, some earth, some funk.
T: Really excellent DoubleIPA, Unique hop profile,,, Not sure of the hops used but thinking there is something outside of the ordinary. it was not just tropical/citrus fruit. earthy... in a fresh way.
O: Very well done. One of the more interesting Double IPAs from Three Floyds (370 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a crystal clear, classic golden color with an egg shell/vanilla colored, fat, foamy head. Hop vegetable matter is noted floating after the second half of the bomber is poured. The head retention is better than average. I stick my nose in and, hello grapefruit! Lovely, lovely grapefruit. Mouthfeel is nearly as lovely. Soft, full, wet, but not juicy. The hop hotness cuts what otherwise might express as juiciness. Perfect amount of carbonation scrub on the back of the tongue. Megagrapefruit, some pine around the edges of the tongue, light sulfur, and a bit of onion. This beer's my hero. One of the best from FFF, in my opinion. (637 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange with a thin whiter head and good lacing.

S - Smells of grapefruit, lemons, pineapple and pine. Not a lot of other detections other than hops.

T - Tones of bitter and then it comes sweet from the citrus. It has a nice lingering after taste.

M - Medium bodied and medium carbonation.

O - Great brew. Three Floyds Has magical IPA's. Ive never had a bad one. (391 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is probably my favorite beer by Three Floyds. I picked up a bomber for $10 at my local liquor store, but man it was worth it. My first sip of this beer immediately reminded me of the north woods of Wisconsin. The pine aroma... I was literally drinking pine sap from a tree, but in a very delicious bittery way. If you like a beer with 100+ IBUs then here you go! (367 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance; color is a clear, bright gold, pours an enormous amount of thick, white head that has better retention then i've ever seen.
Aroma is quite mild. White wine, grassy hops and a hint of fruitiness.
Taste; upfront is white wine, followed by dried apricots and floral hop notes.
Mouthfeel; Body feels surprisingly light, but also creamy, with medium carbonation, very dry in the finish.
overall; an excellent beer, satisfying on several levels. (452 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My daughter sent me a bottle of Arctic Panzer Wolf and Dreadnaught from Wisconsin (what UPS doesn't know...)
Dreadnaught is a real rival to Pliny the Elder but I think I like Arctic Panzer Wolf a little more (please God, forgive me!)
Appearance is hazy golden color, showing some character. Nice off-white head with good lacing as the glass empties.
Mouth feel is very good - a good amount of carbonation.
Taste: Citrus, almost tangerine, a hint of apricot, and pine taste - since I am from the Left Coast, what I consider a great IPA taste. Nice that you can taste some malt coming through the citrus/pine.
I really liked the taste and the smoothness - no bite, just smooth and easy to drink! (695 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a 220z bomber into a tulip.

Look: Hazy burnt orange, with a 1 1/2 finger white foamy head that leaves lacing sticking all over the glass.

Smell: Heavy citrus sweetness, pineapple, grapefruit, mangos, peaches, slight piney resin notes.

Taste / Mouthfeel: Huge hop bitterness hits the taste buds hard upfront, followed immediately by ripe fruity sweetness heavy notes of juicy pineapples, mangos, and grapefruits. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy, finish is crisp and bitter. Sweetness is left lingering for awhile in the after taste, awesome.

Overall: An all out assault on the pallet, incredible hop presence and layers of complexity make this an incredible DIPA, one of the best I've ever had. (708 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Made my first trip out to FFF today. I picked up a growler of APW, and a few bombers and different six packs. Those reviews are to come.

A: Beautiful golden transparent pour with a decent two fingers worth of head and some nice lacing.

S: The smell of this beer is absolutely amazing. It has a pungent hops aroma. It is really one of my favorite smelling DIPA's. You can pick up some of the nice malts as well.

T: When you first put this beer to your lips, you get hit with the nice malts, and then the floral hops shine. This is such a great DIPA. The alcohol is hidden exceptionally well. If this were more readily available, it would be a staple in my fridge.

M: This has a nice creamy mouthfeel. It is a little lighter in my opinion than dreadnaught. A very nice mouthfeel.

O: I absolutely love this beer. This is probably the best DIPA I have experienced thus far very early on in my craft beer experience. I haven't been let down by any FFF beer. Great job!! (971 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

This is, without contest, the very best imperial IPA on the market today. But, more than that, it's in many ways the whole history of American IPA. It has the fresh, citrusy hops that the West Coast brewers made so popular over the last five years in their pale ales. It takes on the oily texture of Rogue I2PA, Bear Republic's Racer X, and Victory Hop Wallop. And it has enough alcohol to lay you on your ass.

It's a maltier cousin of the groundbreaking Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA, and somehow that extra bit of malt makes it a better beer. Maybe it's more balanced. Or maybe the malt sugars just carry the alcohol to your brain faster. Ripe with flavors and aromatics of the greatest pineapple you've ever seen, sharp, grippy hops, and a long, resiny hop finish, it combines the key elements of pleasure and torture. S&M in a glass.

I love you, I hate you, and now I'm going to take my pants off. (904 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Served on tap into a tulip glass at 101 Bottles

A- Poured a super bright and hazy golden orange color with a nice fluffy head that left tons of chunky lace. Really incredible looking beer

S- Amazing aroma full of pineapple juice, citrus, and tropical fruit. Very pungent and powerful aroma.

T- Big pineapple, citrus, and tropical fruit flavors, as well as floral notes. Finishes with assertive bitterness, but not as palate wrecking bitter as I expected

M- This beer finishes ultra dry, definitely the driest beer I have ever had. Pretty high carbonation up front and drinks pretty smooth.

O- This DIPA is in the same class as Ruination but drinks a lot smoother and the aroma and taste of this beer are incredible and unlike anything else I have had. (757 characters)

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.