Arctic Panzer Wolf - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Ratings: 3,351 | Reviews: 709
4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a very nice light copper/orange color with great head and wonderful lacing. Hugely wonderful scent with great citrus hop tones that wave in with orange, pineapple, and grapefruit, along with a wonderful sweet malty backing. Great flavor, a very deep maltiness that makes a wonderfully thick ale flavor to start with a huge hop finish, notably grapefruit, pineapple, and a wonderful piney taste. Goes down wonderfully smooth for such a high ABV beer. Great stuff from Three Floyds once again.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

My bottle is three weeks old and the beer tastes fresh.
Big grassy, citrusy hoppy nose.
Hazy gold, lacy 1” foam cap, descends to a thick film, very fine bead, rouses quickly and provides fine lace.
Medium body with a firm malt backbone to support the big hops. Medium to medium low carbonation, fine creamy texture.
Cold there is a faint sweetness and the citrusy, grassy hop flavors dominate with a drying, lingering finish.
As it warms the initial sweetness and malt flavors grow and the hops mellow to produce a very well balanced, rounded beer.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Thanks to Boilermakerryan for this one!

A - Pours a hazy golden straw orange with nearly 2 fingers of light, fluffy tan colored head. Nice retention, fantastic lacing!

S - Tons of sweet juicy fruits (much more so than the dreadnaught I had yesterday). Tons of mango, pineapple, grapefruit citrus. Reminiscent of the dreadnaught for sure, but much less resinous and wayyyy more juicy sweet/citrusy.

T - Lots of citrusy grapefruit and pineapple flavors with a nice wet bitter hoppyness. Astringent hops and mild alcohol flavors come in. Slight pepper and lots of mango/pineapple/juicy fruits follow immediately. The aftertaste is bitter, astringent hops with some sweet sharp citrus (lemon-like).

M - Medium bodied, the bitter fruityness makes it quite refreshing and drinkable even at 9% and semi-thick. Appropriate/someone heavy carbonation.

O - Fantastic! Enjoyed this one more than Dreadnaught (although I really loved them both). I'm thinking of this as a 2 hearted ale on steriods (big time).

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

Fuzzy peach colored body. Hazy and chunky. Lots of yeast particles floating around. Not a bad thing. Thin creamy off white head leaves spotty lace. Awesome hop aroma. Very fragrant. Fresh and grassy. Minty. Piney. Flavor is more of the same. Fresh and bright. Orange marmalade. Piney. Grassy. Citric. Bitterness is very clean. Faint biscuit malts. Also passion fruits and peach, apricot and nectarine. Light-medium body. Dry. Carbonation is light. Dry finish. Very tasty and very drinkable. 9% alcohol is barely detectable. High quality DIPA here.

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

This is a seriously beautiful beer. I haven't written a review here yet, so please give me a little slack. Tried this beauty @ the Comet Cafe in Milwaukee, WI. Wow. I didn't expect such a big hop drop to finish so smooth. I admittedly drank 2 right off the bat, and with an alcohol rating this high, it was a bold choice at one in the afternoon. It looked gorgeous served in a goblet, and went great with my lunch. My bartender told me it doesn't usually make it out of the brewery, but I haven't looked into that claim. Really good stuff. If you're a fan of Gumballhead, try to get your hands on this.

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A; Great pour. Light, yellow tint
S: fresh and pungent. Some Fruit, some earth, some funk.
T: Really excellent DoubleIPA, Unique hop profile,,, Not sure of the hops used but thinking there is something outside of the ordinary. it was not just tropical/citrus fruit. earthy... in a fresh way.
O: Very well done. One of the more interesting Double IPAs from Three Floyds

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a crystal clear, classic golden color with an egg shell/vanilla colored, fat, foamy head. Hop vegetable matter is noted floating after the second half of the bomber is poured. The head retention is better than average. I stick my nose in and, hello grapefruit! Lovely, lovely grapefruit. Mouthfeel is nearly as lovely. Soft, full, wet, but not juicy. The hop hotness cuts what otherwise might express as juiciness. Perfect amount of carbonation scrub on the back of the tongue. Megagrapefruit, some pine around the edges of the tongue, light sulfur, and a bit of onion. This beer's my hero. One of the best from FFF, in my opinion.

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange with a thin whiter head and good lacing.

S - Smells of grapefruit, lemons, pineapple and pine. Not a lot of other detections other than hops.

T - Tones of bitter and then it comes sweet from the citrus. It has a nice lingering after taste.

M - Medium bodied and medium carbonation.

O - Great brew. Three Floyds Has magical IPA's. Ive never had a bad one.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is probably my favorite beer by Three Floyds. I picked up a bomber for $10 at my local liquor store, but man it was worth it. My first sip of this beer immediately reminded me of the north woods of Wisconsin. The pine aroma... I was literally drinking pine sap from a tree, but in a very delicious bittery way. If you like a beer with 100+ IBUs then here you go!

4.86/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance; color is a clear, bright gold, pours an enormous amount of thick, white head that has better retention then i've ever seen.
Aroma is quite mild. White wine, grassy hops and a hint of fruitiness.
Taste; upfront is white wine, followed by dried apricots and floral hop notes.
Mouthfeel; Body feels surprisingly light, but also creamy, with medium carbonation, very dry in the finish.
overall; an excellent beer, satisfying on several levels.

4.84/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My daughter sent me a bottle of Arctic Panzer Wolf and Dreadnaught from Wisconsin (what UPS doesn't know...)
Dreadnaught is a real rival to Pliny the Elder but I think I like Arctic Panzer Wolf a little more (please God, forgive me!)
Appearance is hazy golden color, showing some character. Nice off-white head with good lacing as the glass empties.
Mouth feel is very good - a good amount of carbonation.
Taste: Citrus, almost tangerine, a hint of apricot, and pine taste - since I am from the Left Coast, what I consider a great IPA taste. Nice that you can taste some malt coming through the citrus/pine.
I really liked the taste and the smoothness - no bite, just smooth and easy to drink!

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 220z bomber into a tulip.

Look: Hazy burnt orange, with a 1 1/2 finger white foamy head that leaves lacing sticking all over the glass.

Smell: Heavy citrus sweetness, pineapple, grapefruit, mangos, peaches, slight piney resin notes.

Taste / Mouthfeel: Huge hop bitterness hits the taste buds hard upfront, followed immediately by ripe fruity sweetness heavy notes of juicy pineapples, mangos, and grapefruits. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy, finish is crisp and bitter. Sweetness is left lingering for awhile in the after taste, awesome.

Overall: An all out assault on the pallet, incredible hop presence and layers of complexity make this an incredible DIPA, one of the best I've ever had.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Made my first trip out to FFF today. I picked up a growler of APW, and a few bombers and different six packs. Those reviews are to come.

A: Beautiful golden transparent pour with a decent two fingers worth of head and some nice lacing.

S: The smell of this beer is absolutely amazing. It has a pungent hops aroma. It is really one of my favorite smelling DIPA's. You can pick up some of the nice malts as well.

T: When you first put this beer to your lips, you get hit with the nice malts, and then the floral hops shine. This is such a great DIPA. The alcohol is hidden exceptionally well. If this were more readily available, it would be a staple in my fridge.

M: This has a nice creamy mouthfeel. It is a little lighter in my opinion than dreadnaught. A very nice mouthfeel.

O: I absolutely love this beer. This is probably the best DIPA I have experienced thus far very early on in my craft beer experience. I haven't been let down by any FFF beer. Great job!!

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

This is, without contest, the very best imperial IPA on the market today. But, more than that, it's in many ways the whole history of American IPA. It has the fresh, citrusy hops that the West Coast brewers made so popular over the last five years in their pale ales. It takes on the oily texture of Rogue I2PA, Bear Republic's Racer X, and Victory Hop Wallop. And it has enough alcohol to lay you on your ass.

It's a maltier cousin of the groundbreaking Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA, and somehow that extra bit of malt makes it a better beer. Maybe it's more balanced. Or maybe the malt sugars just carry the alcohol to your brain faster. Ripe with flavors and aromatics of the greatest pineapple you've ever seen, sharp, grippy hops, and a long, resiny hop finish, it combines the key elements of pleasure and torture. S&M in a glass.

I love you, I hate you, and now I'm going to take my pants off.

Served on tap into a tulip glass at 101 Bottles

A- Poured a super bright and hazy golden orange color with a nice fluffy head that left tons of chunky lace. Really incredible looking beer

S- Amazing aroma full of pineapple juice, citrus, and tropical fruit. Very pungent and powerful aroma.

T- Big pineapple, citrus, and tropical fruit flavors, as well as floral notes. Finishes with assertive bitterness, but not as palate wrecking bitter as I expected

M- This beer finishes ultra dry, definitely the driest beer I have ever had. Pretty high carbonation up front and drinks pretty smooth.

O- This DIPA is in the same class as Ruination but drinks a lot smoother and the aroma and taste of this beer are incredible and unlike anything else I have had.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Review #2. Purchased at the FFF brewery at DLD 2011. Reviewed 5/6/11. Poured into Green Man snifter at 50*

A: Golden orange hue with 1 finger of white fluffy head. Moderate lacing.

S:Smells mostly of resiny pine and a little citrus in the background

T: Solid initial bitterness followed by decent malt backbone, much more citrus flavor than the aroma, equal resinous pine and orange and tangerine flavors give way to solid lingering bitterness. No alcohol detected whatsoever.

M: Low to moderate mouthfeel, not watery but lack of viscosity

O: Fantastic example of an imperial IPA, hops not overbearing or overly bitter. Excellent balance between piney and citrusy hops. Nice lingering bitterness, somewhere between 70-100 IBUs. I can't imagine what this tastes like super fresh, so I guess I'll have to seek out some more APW when it is released next.

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Light grapefruit yellow, nice 1 inch white head, some lacing.

Smell - Intense citris hops, hop oil, orange, plenty of pine.

Taste - Major piney floral hops, lots of orange and grapefruit also. Some apple and a little bit of malt comes out at the end.

MOuthfeel - For such a hop bomb, very nice on the mouth. Sure tougne and palette gets hop crushed, but its not a alcohol crush on top of it, and the hops are sweet also. Aftertaste is nice hop orange and grapefruity.

Overall - Superb, way to easy to drink for a 9% double ipa. Alcohol is really masked well, and even a little malt comes out to really make this impressive. One of the best dipa's ive ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Yellow with one finger of head. Small amount of sediment and strong lacing.

S - Almost as much floral as hops. Sweet smooth hoppy aroma, maybe dry-hopped cascade and simcoe-esque. Fantastic.

T - Great DIPA / Imperial. Kind of a sharp or quick taste of bitter hops on the front of the tongue, but then it goes down like a smooth day-drinking beer. Great flavor and an IPA that doesn't rip out your tongue. Seems like a great one to mix into a tasting because it a great show of a DIPA and easy on the pallet.

M - Medium carbonation. Light and didn't feel any of the sediment I saw.

O - Three Floyds is always expensive, but 16$ a bottle includes shipping. I recommend whatever you can get from this brewery, and this is the best I've had yet. Thanks to 3F!

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Picked this one as an extra when I stopped at 3 floyds for a case of gumballhead on a recent trip north to visit family, and so glad I did. It's not often I get my hands on one of 3 floyds' limited releases because they're swooped up in no time. Anyway, onto the review...

Appearance -- As others have said before me, this is a very cloudy beer, tangerine like in color. Some head after an aggressive pour into my Duvel tulip, but the head dissipates rather quickly after a couple swigs of this fine concoction.

Smell -- Some have compared the smell to Dreadnaught. I find it smells like no other 3 floyds brew. Somewhat fruity, not as hopped up as I would assume an imperial india pale might be. To me, it smells like a cousin of Bell's Hopslam, with a honey undertone to the hoppy goodness.

Taste/Mouthful -- Here's where 3 floyds knocks this one out of the park. Maybe because it's still relatively fresh, maybe just because this is a superbly put together brew. I'm pairing this with a Jack's pizza after work and I cannot wait for the pizza to cook. This is my favorite 3 floyds beer to date. What an intense mouthful, a whirlwind of flavors going on in my mouth and I'm sorry I only picked up one of these gems to enjoy.

Drinkability -- I don't know if I could put away more than two of these in one sitting but it'd be worth a try. Great job 3 floyds!! Definitely my favorite craft brewer. Love your Gumballhead, Robert the Bruce, Dreadnaught. . . but this one blows them all away.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into a wine glass (I was in a hotel at the time, so glass options were limited...)

A - First off, what a magnificent haze to this beer! The body is a radiant golden orange color reminiscent of wildflower honey or a sunset. The head is thin and white.

S - Musky tropical melon and white grapes sneak in with a wave of ripe orange.

T - Ripe tangerine, cantaloupe, musky tropical fruit, and spice. A flavor to behold.

M - For the ABV, refreshingly medium bodied. A lively carbonation lifts up a fairly dry finish.

O - Such a fantastic beer - a true standout from 3 Floyds. The ripeness of the hop flavors and the buoyancy of the light mouthfeel makes this beer stand out from the ever-growing pack of DIPAs.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

This is on tap at Finnegan's in Plainfield IL right now... I had a glass earlier and decided to go home and crack my last bottle. I kept in the "cold fridge" since I picked it up at FFF. Poured into a tulip pint and served around 43 degrees.

Wow. I don't know what I gave this when I had it at FFF, but right now, this is getting a HUGE positive rating. This beer is rocking my world right now, and I'm so glad Three Floyds has decided to brew this regularly!

The beer is a nice golden color. Slightly hazy with a 3 finger white head and tons of lacing. Retention is quite solid to boot. A light, slightly sweet malt base is there just enough to offer the hops something to anchor themselves to. The hops explode with crisp juicey pineapple, grapefruit, and perhaps a touch of pine. A fresh floral note makes an appearance towards the finish.

The taste is exactly what the nose got me excited for-- a clean malt bill: no overwhelming sweetness, no sticky cloying taste-- just clean and light malts that really keep this brew light and easy drinking. The hops come out with guns blazing. Big fruit and citrus notes and a little floral bite... Not really tasting any pine, but the lingering bitterness is strong and sticky.

This a tasty beer that I will certainly grab a few growlers of when I need to send out some boxes- ;-)

The body is lighter than medium, with a good amount of carbonation. Here is the only pointthat I have ANY complaint about-- it feels a little too oily. It isn't bad at all-- but I wish it was more prickly than oily. In any case-- this beer is excellent and very easy to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Surprisingly bright, almost glowing yellow-orange appearance in a pint glass from the tap at Swig in Perrysburg, OH.

A sign from heaven? Strong hoppy nose -- I knew it would be a killer right there.

Delicious taste, great balance. I had no idea it was a DIPA until just now and that the ABV was so high. Could not tell from drinking it.

Wonderful job 3F!

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass.

A - Poured a golden honey color, but was strangely murky and cloudy. A bit unsightly.
S - Bright vibrant and fruity. Lots of sweet orange, almost to a level of orange sherbet or an orange julius.
T - Initially sweet and lightly malty upfront, lens way to savory orange, hops and grapefruit. This actually almost tastes like a less sweet, more savory sherbet. Really good.
O - A damned fine imperial IPA, one of the best that I've had in a long time.
V - Good value.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Outstanding, hop forward, well balanced, double IPA. This is a big beer but the malt is well balanced. Nice peachy/apricot hop flavor with a hint of pine.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

A= Golden Yellow it was dark and hazy with a small head.

S= It has a citrus smell kind of like a orange and grapefruit mix. There is also a pine smell going on in this beer.

T= You taste the citrus but to me it is small at first there is big pine taste in this beer the aftertaste is sweet like a carmel.

M= Great beer it's got enough carbonation that really makes it go down easy for me.

D= For a 9% IPA it's going down smooth this is really a great beer difently worth checking this one out.

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.