Arctic Panzer Wolf - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Reviews: 703 | Hads: 3,436
3.49/5  rDev -16.7%

Dreadnaught Jr.? I don't really know as I've only had Dreadnaught once. The head was pitiful after a vigorous pour and retreated quickly, hence the below avg. score on that. Nice color though, orange with gold, rather light. The aroma was nice, but not too powerful, nice fruity sweetness, a little too much wintergreen.
It tasted... good. Pine, orange, grapefruit, blah blah blah. So, right, it's a double IPA. Hints of sour fruit and minerals. Not enough malt presence; bitter just for the sake of bitter is a little obnoxious, and I'm tired of trying new hop assaults with no clear character that offer the same damn thing over and over. Not that this is a bad beer, I could (and would) session this if it was lower abv. But it wouldn't be my first choice.

Edit: Not quite there on the mouthfeel, but close. Overall, this reminds me of a dumbed down version of Moylan's Doublander and Maharaja.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Picked this one as an extra when I stopped at 3 floyds for a case of gumballhead on a recent trip north to visit family, and so glad I did. It's not often I get my hands on one of 3 floyds' limited releases because they're swooped up in no time. Anyway, onto the review...

Appearance -- As others have said before me, this is a very cloudy beer, tangerine like in color. Some head after an aggressive pour into my Duvel tulip, but the head dissipates rather quickly after a couple swigs of this fine concoction.

Smell -- Some have compared the smell to Dreadnaught. I find it smells like no other 3 floyds brew. Somewhat fruity, not as hopped up as I would assume an imperial india pale might be. To me, it smells like a cousin of Bell's Hopslam, with a honey undertone to the hoppy goodness.

Taste/Mouthful -- Here's where 3 floyds knocks this one out of the park. Maybe because it's still relatively fresh, maybe just because this is a superbly put together brew. I'm pairing this with a Jack's pizza after work and I cannot wait for the pizza to cook. This is my favorite 3 floyds beer to date. What an intense mouthful, a whirlwind of flavors going on in my mouth and I'm sorry I only picked up one of these gems to enjoy.

Drinkability -- I don't know if I could put away more than two of these in one sitting but it'd be worth a try. Great job 3 floyds!! Definitely my favorite craft brewer. Love your Gumballhead, Robert the Bruce, Dreadnaught. . . but this one blows them all away.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

thanks to coppcw08 for this bottle in trade...

poured from bomber into tulip:

A: A great looking IIPA...dark orange, dankness envelops this beer. A nasty looking brew...in a most excellent way.

S: The aroma coming off this brew is bright citrus hops, a lot of pineapple and a slight sweet fruit smell. Great aroma that invites you for a taste...

T: Bright hops right off the bat followed by a fruity, malty sweetness. This beer punches you in the mouth then gives you a happy malt finish. I love how balanced this beer is at 100 IBU's...a little alcohol astringency but the finish mellows out and lingers beautifully...

M: So creamy and silky...I love a great IIPA with a honey, enveloping mouthfeel and this one is spot on. As it warms it only gets better...Honestly I was swishing this beer around in my mouth as it warmed and enjoying it's great creamy texture.

O: A great IIPA that I'm very glad to have had the chance to sample. Well I put down a whole bomber so not really a sample but I would gladly trade for this one again. A very worthy beer and I'm looking forward to trying more FFF offerings in the future...

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Bomber received in a surprise box from abbdull..thanks Andy, very cool of you for sure.

Poured into my dfh snifter glass. Appearance is a light orange, copper color. Smell is big time orange and apricot..FFF really never disappoints in this area. Their dipa's always smell fantastic. Taste is similar to smell but not as strong which was a slight disappointment. Very bitter beer which I like a lot. Nice mouth feel, not too thin and not syrupy at all. Very drinkable and no hint of the 9% abv what so ever. I liked this beer and wouldn't mind snagging another bomber or if available to me. Recommended for sure.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Had this on draft at the Cock and Bull in Covington.

A- nice dark gold look with a solid white cap. Frothy lacing hugs the side of the tulip glass it was served in.

S-cant really smell much. Slight citrus with some bitterness.

T- oranges and pears that are immediately followed by a big hop blast. Finish reminds me of a Nice smooth Bourbon almost.

M- this is the epitome of double ipas. Medium bodied with nice coating That makes for a good refreshing brew. Perfect carbonation. I wish all double ipas had this feel.

D- really nice and refreshing. Great flavor. These two factors make it dangerous but very awesome.

Great beer that is right on par with the rest of their lineup.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a golden hazy orange with a few botches of bright white head.

Tropical citrus and some fresh pine.  Mangos and pineapple.

First thing I get is the aforementioned tropical fruit.  But, this is quickly taken over by piney, resiney, hop oil.  There's also bitter lemon zest.  Extremely piney and bitter, sucking on a hop cone here... Not what I expected from the nose.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and well carbonated.

Nice DIPA with huge hop bitterness, worth checking out.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

3 Floyds' Description: A dry and stupendously hopped medium bodied imperial - IPA brewed with Canadian 2-Row malt, dextrose sugar and lot of American hops. Arctic Panzer Wolf has superior aromas of Marmalade, white wine, pine and apricot all mixed with an intense American hop bitterness.

Not sure how old my bottle is but it was the last one on the shelf.

I poured it into a tulip glass and it had a very nice white head with very little lacing.

It has the appearance of Apricot Juice that I found very pleasing.

It has a wonderful smell. I picked up the Marmalade, white wine and apricot but could pick out the pine.

I wish I got this fresh so there would be more hop taste but what remains is good, not great, and the malt doesn't overpower the hops. At 9% ABV I didn't pick up any offensive alcohol taste, which is a plus.

It feels very smooth in the mount with a dry & slightly bitter finish.

All in all this is a very drinkable beer. Probably a good thing I only had one or I would probably go for another one which would make for a rough morning.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks rfraga77 for the bottle, great trading with you!

22 oz. Bottle split between two wine glasses.

A: orange, decent clarity, half finger white head, good lacing.

N: grapefruit. Bright hoppiness, some zesty citrus with decent maltiness in background.

T: bitter citrus hops predominate, some alcohol, get some faint watermelon, finish is malty sweet.

M: crisp, good carbonation, no issues here.

O: very approachable for a DIPA, nice malt balance, not overly alcoholly, definitely recommend.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

1" white head on a gold, slightly hazy body
Reeks of hops,some pineapple and grapefruit and a bit of floral too. While the scent is a bit mixed, it's pretty aromatic

Taste...Hop bomb in the mouth. Very intensive hop flavors,yet the malts do manage a moment before the hops take over. Fruity,with more pineapple than any of the other hop tastes,but there's a little pine sap, grapefruit and whatever as the folks at FFF seemed to load it up.

Not sure what I paid but I know it ain't cheap. It is a beer worth having now and then, irregardless. I had a bomber of Hop Stoopid recently, wish I'd saved that for a direct compare. In any case, among the better DIPA's. I expect a DIPA to bring big hops, and this does. Super Juice, Dark Horse's " Quad IPA" does "out-hop" this but few other beers do.

Mouth shows enough malt to give good body to the Wolf and temper the hop overkill. The aftertaste party fades fast yet there is a little bitter linger that lasts awhile.

ABV limits the drinkability (as does the $) but it's a beer you may want to drink till you run out or fall over. Solid hop bomb.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Consumed 11/18/10 fresh shipment, so I don't have to worry about no bottling date.

Poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A: My favorite DIPA color. Hazy, sunshine yellow. Super bright and cheerful, little do I know what waits under the surface. A thick, frothy off-white head hugs the inside of the glass, leaving a sticky mess upon finishing.

S: I could smell hops when I opened the bottle, and when I poured it into my glass. A barrage of peaches, white grapes, oranges, and juicy grapefruit smack your olfactory nerves. Resin and pine sit in the background, and a tiny sweet whiff of malt is hiding under the bleachers in this heavy hitter hop game.

T: Sticky, resinous hops kick you to the ground and make you feel insignificant, but then a sugar cookie malt finish picks you up and soothes you, only to drop you on your head again on the next sip. Massive grapefruit and lemon chunks abound. Beautiful.

F: Medium, and a bit oily on the tongue, but hops kick in for a dry, bitter, lingering finish.

D: Undeniable palate wrecker, but I'm a masochist for this sweet punishment. I will get another bomber before they're gone.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- A bit hazy golden straw color. Small 1 finger head. Some patchy lacing.

S- Awesome strong piney citrusy hop aroma. Not overdone but very bold. Hints of light fruits like grapefruit and pear.

T&M- Tingly carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. A hop assault. Lots of hop but its not really strong in the piney part. Great balance of citrus, grapefruit, pear, and white grapes throughout all while the big hop profile is clashing on the tongue. Finishes bitter and very pleasant. Borders the line of almost puckering, but just doesn't get there.

O- Another very well balanced beer by Three Floyds. Man, they got this IPA thing down. Definitely need more.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

I has this both on tap at 3F and from a growler to go.

A: yellow/orange good clarity, inch of white head, good lacing.

N: grapefruit and tangerine, excellent nose.

T: strong citrus hops, sweet malt finish.

M: doesn't feel sticky, the appropriate amount of carbonation.

O: An excellent beer, you can't taste the ABV at all, one of the mainstay beers that makes 3F so great.

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

22 oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

Beer pours a hazy light orange color with a thin white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving some soapy lace on the side of the glass. Smell is floral and sweet citrus hops with a bit of a bready/chalky smell on the backbone...more malt than I expected in the smell and almost smells like a lemon scone. The taste is a big smack of bitterness upfront that is very dry and mineral-like in taste. I pick up a slight medicinal quality before I get light malt and another smack of hop bitterness. Not much else in the taste but straight bittering hops. Finishes relatively heavy and warms as it goes down. Not very drinkable due to the huge bitterness. I think this is what they were going for, but only the most serious hopheads need apply. One of the lesser 3 Floyds IPAs in my opinion. Would take Dreadnaught every time over this.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a hazy golden orange with a thin white colored head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is nothing too overwhelming. Light hints of citrus...grapefruit and mango. A sweet caramel smelling backbone.

Taste has the juicy citrus notes that were present in the nose, but there are some floral notes mixed in also. Finishes slightly dry with some maltiness and piney hop notes.

Mouth feel is smooth with moderate levels of carbonation. This beer is insanely drinkable...every sip left me wanting another.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: hazy yellow orange pour with a nice inch thick head.

S: strong citrus hops smell. I get a lot of peach. Maybe some mango. This beer smells amazing!

T: Nice. Tastes much like it smells. Strong peach up front with a complimentary malt finish. Great citrus aftertaste. Good beer. I'm surprised at how long the peach aftertaste stays with me!

M: very crisp up front with a very dry finish.

O: Great beer. It's a little pricey but worth it on a Christmas afternoon.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful label, definitely would stand out on a shelf.
A: dark amber with a thick, white head.
S: Malty caramel like sweetness, cinnamon spiciness.
T: Similar to nose, malty forward DIPA, hops are fairly balanced. Hop kick mid sip.
M: Medium carbonation, slight bitterness, hops prickly to tongue.
O: Fairly balanced DIPA, I thought the maltiness meshed pretty well with the hops.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Excellent hop aroma, very citricy and floral aroma, hints of grapefruit. Mild hazy orange color, slight ran color. Little head retention, but pretty decent lacing. Strong hop at the beginning, high bitterness. Pleasant sweetness, with slight hint of alcohol content. Mild to moderate bitter finish, but very clean. Crisp finish with floral aftertaste. Last carbination, very cleansing. Overall very drinkable and refreshing for a DIPA. Delicious and of course never disappointing from three floyds.

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

22 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Slighty hazy straw color with a finger or two of slighty-off-white head. Barely leaves any lacing on the side of the glass - my favorite part of the look of an IPA.

Smell is strongly hoppy, with a hint of honey and malt.

This is definitely a hop bomb, but there's enough malt to keep it grounded. It may come to 100 IBU when measured, but it doesn't taste quite that high.

Lightly carbonated, medium body. Despite the bitterness, doesn't finish with much astringency. Alcohol is light for 9%.

I wasn't convinced at first, but this really grew on me. Many thanks to Willseph for the brew!

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Deep, dark cloudy copper with a finger of bone white head.

S: Rich, sweet malts. Sweet, burnt hops.

T: Bitter burnt malts. Cooked sweet oranges. Slightly boozy. Sort of like a hopped up imperial brown ale.

M: Slight carbonation with a clean finish.

O: My first Three Floyds. Impressed with it, but I'm not really into malty IPAs. Probably the most brutal name for a beer though!

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

11 oz. pour into a tall glass from a bomber courtesy of glazeman during game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final. i've been looking forward to this beer for a while, wondering how it compares to dreadnaught ipa.

A - yellow, very light colored for a DIPA. 1-2 finger head with excellent retention and some lacing.

S - citrus and piney hops, with the piney hops dominating. orange, lemon, and tangerine as well.

T - very similar to the smell, with lemon and bitter, piney hops overpowering. very little malt backbone.

M - a bit more thin than i was hoping it would be. not much here with regards to mouthfeel.

D - drinkable beer, especially on a warm summer day - it would be perfect for an outdoor bbq. plenty of carbonation, but maybe a little too much because this brew is not sticky or malty enough to hide the 9% abv.

overall, this is a very good beer. however, the overpowering lemon citrus flavor and thin mouthfeel are no match for FFF's other DIPA, dreadnaught. i would definitely drink arctic panzer wolf again, but if given a choice, i would prefer a dreadnught.

3.17/5  rDev -24.3%

A- Pours a hazy ornage-yellow with a nice pillowy off-white head with good retention, leaves some spotty lacing around the glass.

S- mainly citrus and herbal hops, a little weak for my taste though. some caramel malt comes through as well to balance everything out. there was something that did seem a little off on the nose though, couldn't quite pick up exactly what it was though.

T- similar to the nose. a little more intense on the hops. same caramel sweet maltiness coming through at points. but still that weird flavor that i can't quite pick up on what it is exactly. threw me off of this beer a bit.

M/D- medium-light bodied. good carbonation. cannot pick up on the alcohol in here at all. very good drinking beer, minus that weird characteristic.

3.64/5  rDev -13.1%

On tap @ Lunar

A- slightly hazy golden with no head and no lacing

S- citrus and pine hop. Not much else

T- same as nose, but with the slightest malt sweetness

M- medium body w/ nice carbonation

D- 9oz pour is enough. great beer, but pretty unbalanced

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass. This brew pours a lot more yellow than I would have ever guessed. A nice 1" white frothy head settles nicely and laces the glass beautifully. Smells good, lots of piney flavor, and a touch of orange rind citrus smell. I definitely get the marmalade flavor in the taste. This is a medium bodied ale with mild carbonation. Just another terrific beer from 3 Floyds. Every time I have one of their beers, it makes me wish I was back in Munster.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

I had this the other day over at FFF on tap. It's a very expensive pale ale ($7 a snifter). I had to try it since I make it a point to always try something new when I'm there. It had a nice, hoppyness to it, typical piney smell. Good golden color, Three Floyds did not let anyone down here. It's got that kick in the ass that all their beers have, not for the weak of heart! While I enjoyed this immensely, I would not get it again when their Dreadnaught IPA is always on tap for $2 less. Honestly, the Dreadnaught is stronger and has much more hoppy bang for the buck than this.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

22oz bottle purchased locally (despite our distributor being certifiably retarded). Served in a 3F Nonic Pint Glass.

A: Pours a very pleasing orange yellow. Very small amount of white head on the first pour that goes quickly. 2nd pour leaves a much more substantial, white fluffy head. Lacing is good, but not great.

S: Nice combo of juicy, piney hops and tropical fruit. Some slight sweetness from the malt/lactose sugar.

T: Raw, fresh hops with a nice complementing sweetness. Like the nose, there's some strong topical fruit flavors like pineapple, apricot and oranges. Then the piney bitterness kicks in at the end, but it's not overwhelming and finishes nice and smooth. Fantastic!

M: This is the perfect mouthfeel for a big, hearty DIPA. Medium bodied, with a nice viscosity to it. The carbonation is ample enough to not let it get sticky and overbearing. Overall very smooth and pleasing.

D: 9% DIPA's don't get much more accessible than this. Not a trace of booze, and the bitterness didn't really wear on the palate. 22oz was a nice serving, but I couldn't help but want more when my glass was empty.

A real winner from 3F's. I enjoy this a lot more than I do any of their other big, hoppy brews. Hopefully this will be produced in greater numbers later this year/next year. Track it down if you can!

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.