Arctic Panzer Wolf - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Reviews: 703 | Hads: 3,435
4.46/5  rDev +6.4%

A- 3.5 This beer isn't all that exciting in appearance. It is a clear light gold and has a minimal white head composed of medium sized bubbles. It does have smooth, uniform lacing and active bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass.

S- 5 Very nice, strong aroma that is a well-balanced blend of citrus (grapefruit, apricot), pine, white grapes, and hops. It is pungent and reminds me of herbs that I've smelled at rock concerts.

T- 4.5 The hop oils come through strongly as the brew coats my mouth, and a little bit of malt sweetness works its way in at the middle of the drink. That is followed by a dry, pine-like bitterness to finish. Altogether it is a little citrusy as are many of the style. Very well-rounded taste to this one, and its 9% ABV is well hidden.

M- 4.5 Near perfect feel; it's medium in body and there is nice carbonation. Just a little syrupy finish leaves me dry but wanting more to quench it.

D- 4 This is a really good imperial IPA. As I've mentioned before, I'm not the biggest hop-head (probably wouldn't have more than a bomber in a sitting), but the style is growing on me and I certainly appreciate it. This brew's aroma is excellent and has a well-balanced taste taboot. It is up there with the best of the style (that I've tried), and it's worth a shot if you can get your hands on it.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

New label APW. No best buy date! 3F's get with it. Poured into my duvel tulip at 50 degrees.

A: Moderate pour down the side of the glass yields two finger head. After about two minutes half finger head remains. This one is golden straw colored, pretty clear. 3.5

S: Smell is awesome. Strong hops, grapefruit, citrus, grass. 4.0

T: Very nice IIPA just the right amount of bitterness. Id like a little more pinch on this one but very tasty. No hint of the 9% alcohol in the taste. 4.0

M: Mouthfeel is oily and lightly carbonated. One sip leads to the next and I am left wanting more. 4.0

O: Overall this is a solid IIPA. I wish I knew the date on this one. I think it would be even better if it was freshly bottled. Unfortunately I will never know until 3F's decides to date their bottles. All in all a great offering from 3F's. 4.0

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

From old review notes, drank sometime in May 2012, not sure about freshness.

A Light burnt orange, golden glow. White head dissipates to a to a ring. Persistent carbonation, big lacing.

S Big pungent tropical aromas- pineapple upside-down cake.

T Orange marmalade, orange peel, apricot meat. Light lingering bitterness.

M Crisp-drinking despite the formidable, initially sticky maltiness. Nice bitter pop at the end.

O Is it fresh? Must know. A very good DIPA but way sweeter and juicier than I usually go for.

Appearance is a golden translucent haze with a sheer white head. Poured Into my nitro milkstout release glass. Smell is that of grassy citrus hops and some breadlike quality. Taste is of citrissy and grassy hops. Mouthful is resinous but drinkable, bitter but not overly so. Overall a great example of a traditional, no frills dipa!

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

A- golden amber in color,decent white head that leaves a considerable amount of lacing in its wake.

S - Aromas of grapefruit and pineapple dominate with a fair amount of resinous pine mixed in.

T - Thick with piney resin flavors backed by a generous amount of bready sweet malts and the flavor of grapefruit pith.

M - Medium in body, with a thick sticky finish

D - Where'd the glass go? Seriously delicious, what else can I say

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a hazy golden/orange color with about a finger of head.

Nose is very sweet and fruity. Citrusy hops come through: lots of grapefruit and orange zest. Sweet caramel malt backs it up.

Hops dominate at first. Bitter/sour grapefruit and big floral hops hit right away but it fades into a more subtle hop presense as the malt comes through (still pretty damn hoppy though). Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium and somewhat sticky. Bitterness lingers for a bit, but not overwhelming. Carbonation is average.

Drinkability is high. A lot of flavor, well balanced, and little alcohol presence make for a very enjoyable beer.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a Bomber. Great thick head and the color was lighter than most of the DIPA's I drink. The smell of hops hit me hard which is unusual for me. I don't usually get a strong smell from any beers...too many cigars maybe?

Anyway, I am a big fan of TF Zombie Dust and Dreadnaught. The was a great DIPA, but I prefer those two over this. The hoppy flavor was great, but I am I don't detect the strong citrus flavors that many here discuss. There were subtle...which is a nice change of pace for me

So far I am 4 for 5 on Three Floyd products. The three mentioned here plus Robert the Bruce are all outstanding. Only Alpha King disappointed me. Probably because I have totally changed my palate the last few years. I will definitely buy this again when I see it. IF I see it.

4.66/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from bomber into my Stoudts pint glass. No freshness date (again, come ON 3Floyds!!!) However, pretty confident this is no more than 5 weeks in the bottle.

A: Pale yellow, a little cloudy - could be mistaken for an over-carbonated American Wheat. Tiny creamy eggshell white head. Spotty, uneven lacing. Looks entirely unremarkable.

S: The second the cap came off this monster the most incredible aroma graced my senses - huge pineapple, mango, and mildly resinous hop aromas. Could it be better than Dreadnaught? Maybe. It's at least as good.

T: I take it back. This is better than Dreadnaught, at least in terms of sheer hop flavor. Simply incredible. The biggest, juiciest, hoppiest-tasting beer I've ever had. Tropical fruits galore - pineapple and mango and papaya and a little piney resin. A mild malt sweetness is just enough to help balance the intense hop character. With the amount of hops in this beast, the bitterness is incredibly well-tamed. It's just enough to help cleanse the palate. ABV is completely hidden. This beer is so well constructed, it's almost scary. I think on the whole Dreadnaught edges this out by about half an inch - its maltiness is a little more pronounced to help balance its more intense bitterness. However, I can't really find anything wrong here. Delicious.

M: Rich and creamy with medium carbonation. Very oily and mouth-coating. Slightly puckering. Perfect.

O: Honestly the only thing holding this one back is its appearance - it just doesn't look anything like a DIPA. However, since I put way more stock in how a beer smells and tastes, it's a small hurdle to clear. This beer is incredible.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

My favorite DIPA from Three Floyds. Terrific body, crisp. Alcohol bite is a little more present here than in Dreadnaught, but the dose of hops in this helps smooth it back out. It doesn't pack the hop aroma that I get from, say, a Hopslam, but the flavor is all there. I've had this on-tap and in bottle, and both are very similar, with on-tap having a little better aroma (I'm thinking I served my own bottle a little colder than in the pub). A bit pricey at the liquor stores, but if you shop around and can get it for a good price, it's hard to beat.

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to a buddy for a recent 3F shipment

A: Hazy pour into a tulip with perfect carbonation. One inch head.

S: Huge grapefruit notes upfront

T: Goes down very easy. Crisp and sharp on the tongue but the bitterness is not overwhelming and completely mutes the alcohol. Predominantly citrus/grapefruit/piney. I don't get a lot of the tropical fruit notes others get. 9%--no way. Just enough malt.

O: I was worried this was going to be an over-the-top one-dimensional hop bomb after enjoying Dreadnaught--what could to that one? Although heretical, on a side by side, I liked it better than its better known brother. Pushes the edge and stops just right. Three more just arrived. Cheers

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Hazy golden color with a thin white head that cleared very quickly.

S - hops, citrus (apricots and it seems like lemon), and pine. I really liked the smell of this.

T - hops of course. Just a hint of bitternes to begin with. Citrus and a nice dry finish. I think the ABV is rather hidden but not completely.

M - light carbonation. Light to medium body. A slight sweet stickyness due to the citrus.

O - A very nice beer. I'm not a huge fan of IPA's or DIPA's but this does very nice. It came highly recommended and I have to admit it does not disappoint.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from bottle (Red label) into tulip. Pours a brilliant, translucent gold. Wonderful white head about a finger thick, disappears quickly, leaving a ring about the circumference. In the nose I pick up sweet melon, piney hops, grapefruit. On the tongue it is sweet, but quite bitter. Hops give a great snap, backed by the citrus. A bit of must from the yeast. But it matches. Mouthfeel is good, great carb and easy to drink. Overall, APW is a great brew, and will satisfy and craving for an IIPA

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Got this in a trade from kdiggity - thanks! - and splitting the bomber with walows. It's pretty, a bit cloudy and I'm not impressed by the head, though he is and he is the beer freak here, for what that's worth.

The aroma is a bit east-coast-malty and I was afraid it would be a bit sweet for our California palates, but it's seriously delicious and I'm worried about the 9% ABV. It's going down easy as I type.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Appearance is surprisingly light pouring a light orangish color with frothy, off-white head.

S: Aroma is superb with citrus all around especially pinneapple and grapefruit.

T: Taste is strong on the citrus hops flavors like the grapefruit with a solid sweet malt backbone. The story of this beer is the balance. No one characteristic dominates with both the hop bitterness and malt sweetness contributing very evenly making the brew very drinkable.

M: Palate is medium-bodied, soft and slick texture, with mild carbonation, and a slight bitter finish - quite subdued for an Imperial IPA.

O: I'm constantly impressed by everything put out by FFF and this is no exception.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Another fine offering from FFF. Pours a cloudy amber straw color into my beer tasting wine glass. Smells of pine, apricot, and citrus notes with a hint of vanilla. The taste is well balanced with, the aroma coming through. The mouthfeel is medium bodied. Watch out for this one, it is quite drinkable, but that alcohol content could be a killer. I recommend giving it a try, seems like Three Floyds know their IPA.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

A: Golden Yellow with nice two finger white head.

S: Grapefruit/ Pine/ Mango

T: The mango comes out up front with bitter grapefruit on the finish.

MF: A solid texture, medium body with a solid hop profile.

D: Fairly easy to drink, however, the hop profile is a little out of balance and the bitterness of this beer would make this a chore to drink after you have had few.

An above average DIPA worth trying but probably not going out of your way for.

3.66/5  rDev -12.6%

Bomber poured into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Yellow/orange/amber (I hate color blindness) in color with a thin off-white head. Decent head retention with almost no lacing.

S: Compared to a few IPAs I have had recently, the smell here seems pretty muted. Faint hints of piney hops and a solid caramel malt backbone.

T: Fruity and piney hops balance out the maltiness. I have to admit, I don't know what significance the dextrose would have. Pretty good DIPA, seems similar to a 90 min.

M: Creamy and sticky, medium bodied with prickly carb.

O: Solid DIPA, I think I like this one better than their Dreadnaught, but not as much as a Pliny or even a Flower Power.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Enjoyed straight from the bottle while off roading in a passenger seat of a jeep.

The aroma of this one is very citrusy and has a fresh blast of fruity and floral hops.

The taste of this one is very orange peel esque, and it has a nice fruity feel that clings to the semi bitter hops for an excellent blending for an imperial IPA.

The mouth feel of this is dry with a nice crisp bite of hop and citrus peel bitterness on the finish.

The drinkability of this one was pretty high to me as I love IPA style brews a lot.

This one was a very good IPA to me and I loved the citrus aspects in this beer as to me they are nailed pretty well.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

appearance light copper, somewhat hazy with medium head retention

Smell Earthy stone fruit with hints of guava. Kind of an Midwest/east coast styled aroma.

Taste Stone fruit with a sturdy malt backbone and earthy guava notes.

Mouthfeel medium and appropriate for a dipa. Carbonation was spot on and had the staying power to last for the whole bomber.

Overall This beer was a great dipa. I enjoyed the earthy stone fruit notes and the balance was superb.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Just tapped yesterday at Bavarian Lodge in Lisle.

Strong aroma of pine, resin and grapefruit. Also a slight odor of cologne and soap. Tastes the same. Moderately bitter hops, citrus, lightly sweet and lightly thick, but manageable. Easy enough to drink. Slightly resiny aftertaste but does not dominate too much.

It is like a slightly milder version of Dreadnaught that has been wet-hopped.

I would describe this as a 50/50 blend of Three Floyds' Broodo and their infamous Dreadnaught.

2.08/5  rDev -50.4%

While the rest in my tasting group disagree with me I have to say that this one was quite disappointing. I have read a couple posts about fresh Citra hops requiring some age to get rid of that mercapto urine aroma. I have no idea if Arctic Panzer uses Citra hops but I got a big hit of urine plus sulfur & vegetative aromas. By vegetative it is not the nice green notes from dry-hopping, it is the undesirable. Body & mouthfeel was nice but the flavor killed it for me.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

Huge thanks to gratefulbeerhead for picking me up a couple of these... Thanks for being my 3F hookup Eric!

Poured from bomber to DFH pint glass. Foamy off-white head with great retention. Beer pours a hazy golden color and looks unfiltered after it's in the glass. Aroma consists of dry hops, pine, grapefruit and a lemon zest... but is somewhat hard to detect. Definitely not overwhelming.

Taste is bitter dry and full on hop bite. It leaves a dry bitter taste on the back of the tongue. Other characters include a citrus undertone and a pine This is a beer for the hop heads! Consistency and mouthfeel is perfect, one of the better ones I've ever seen actually.

I couldn't drink bombers back to back, but 22 oz is a nice serving size for this one.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

This Imperial IPA is very good with small foam but a nice golden yellow color with carbonation in the glass. The smell definitely tells you that it is a big IPA, and the taste is hoppy with notes of citrus(grapefruit) with a true Imp. IPA after taste. The beer feels very full flavored and full bodied and is very drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

22oz bomber poured to a Duvel tulip.

A- Fruity apricot, citrus orange / amberish yellow color. Very clean looking beer, with active bubbles that float upwards to a nice fluffy white head. This beer glows in the light. I like it.

S- Spicy hop aroma, light resin with pungent citrus underneath. Nose gives depth with ruby red grapefruit, dry biscuit malts, and some earthy pine and wood. Slight lemon brightness and a smell that reminds me of dried tea before it's been steeped.

T- Very sharp hoppy bite. The mondo bitterness aggressively tingles the tongue, cheeks, and throat. Big puckering grapefruit, pungent clementines, and spicy hop flavored mango. Awesome. Some alcohol burn on the tongue and in the back of the mouth as you drink.

As it warms, the biscuit malts come out a bit more, but definitely stays hoppy throughout. Fruity apricot sweetness and a salty, bready combination that chews like dried pretzels.

MF- A touch soapy, booze creates some lingering heat, but overall a white wine dryness. Definitely has a "hop juice" sort of texture. Still getting a mouthful of salted pretzels in there.

O- A very bitter beer that explodes an assault of sharp hop flavors in the mouth. The aggressiveness was done well, making this drinkable and enjoyable. A lush blend of all kinds of earthy and citrus flavors live within this stimulating magnum opus of hop fuel!

4.36/5  rDev +4.1%

I bought this at Capitol Liquors in downtown Indy on a recent vacation. By the way, if you are in town, go there....

The smell of the brew is amazing...my nose is not in tune enough to tell you the fruits or whatever, but it just smells like a good strong brew. Taste-wise, the brew starts off nice and strong and then kinda mellows out over time. You can defintely taste the punch behind it, but it is a great tasting Imperial.

A great brew. I am happy I bought a couple more. A bit pricey for a bomber, but well worth it for those special occasions when you want something good.

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.