Arctic Panzer Wolf - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.16/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I had this on-tap at the Three Floyds brewpub for $5.

Pours a cloudy copper orange color with a minor head but great lacing. Has a mild scent of bitter hops. Rather bold and flavorful, even though it was rather hoppy it wasn't overly bitter. Crisp, clean, and refreshing. Nicely served in proper glassware and temperature I might add.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

thanks to coppcw08 for this bottle in trade...

poured from bomber into tulip:

A: A great looking IIPA...dark orange, dankness envelops this beer. A nasty looking brew...in a most excellent way.

S: The aroma coming off this brew is bright citrus hops, a lot of pineapple and a slight sweet fruit smell. Great aroma that invites you for a taste...

T: Bright hops right off the bat followed by a fruity, malty sweetness. This beer punches you in the mouth then gives you a happy malt finish. I love how balanced this beer is at 100 IBU's...a little alcohol astringency but the finish mellows out and lingers beautifully...

M: So creamy and silky...I love a great IIPA with a honey, enveloping mouthfeel and this one is spot on. As it warms it only gets better...Honestly I was swishing this beer around in my mouth as it warmed and enjoying it's great creamy texture.

O: A great IIPA that I'm very glad to have had the chance to sample. Well I put down a whole bomber so not really a sample but I would gladly trade for this one again. A very worthy beer and I'm looking forward to trying more FFF offerings in the future...

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Cheers to rmalinowski4 for sending this my way

Review adapted from notes taken 11/12/11

Appearance: Cloudy, hazy gold, with some orange - starts with a nice head, fades to nice lacing

Smell: Citrus, citrus everywhere - tons of citrus, floral, tropical, and dank - tons of weed, wet and leafy - some pine here, too, oily - this is an aggressive hop bomb, and I cannot say much about the malts

Taste: Pretty ridiculous, borderline absurd - very resiny, oily - tons of harsh yet delicious citrus - orange, grapefruit - some other light fruits, apricot, peach - with herbal, leafy weed - some spiciness - some mildly sweet malts underneath (probably crystal malt) - extremely bitter, abrasive, almost overly harsh

Mouthfeel: Medium body, extremely sticky, adequately carbonated

Overall: The label art is quite accurate...

According to my notes, "This is so aggressive - like a wolf biting you in the balls." As I have never had this experience, I do not know if this is a valid comparison. Regardless, this is absurdly aggressive. And definitely worth a try.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours a clear honey color with two fingers of craggy white head with good retention and nice lacing.

S - Big aromas of grapefruit, florals and resiny pine hops.

T - Crisp hops, again with a lot of bitter grapefruit and pine, big floral taste. This was sweeter than expected from the aroma but finishes bitter, but not dry.

M - Medium, slightly sticky mouthfeel.

O - A really nice DIPA, and a nice contrast to Dreadnaught, which I prefer to this slightly.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks chanokokoro for a bomber of this. Poured into a DFH Signature 2/26.

A - Hazy golden orange. Really typical DIPA look. The head isn't too thick, and there is a bit of lacing down the glass.

S - A blast of piney, resinous, and floral hops. A hint of sweetness from the malt, but this thing is all about the hops. A nice contrast to Dreadnaught, which is a bit sweeter and more balanced.

T - Biggest thing is the bitterness and resinous character. It's not overly bitter, although I can put up with any level of bitterness so don't take my word for it. A bit of alcohol, stronger than Dreadnaught. Not overwhelming by any means. There is just a hint of sweet malt, but this reminds me more of a west coast IPA. Dry finish, very nice overall if you like a more earthy DIPA as opposed to a citrus and tropical fruit DIPA.

M - Carbonation is spot on. It really wakes up your palate along with the instant bitterness. I wish the alcohol was a little less present in this, but at 9% it's hidden fairly well.

O - I really like this beer, but I do prefer Dreadnaught. I've been drinking a lot of east coast and/or citrus IPAs lately, and this really brought me back to the lovely world of pine and floral hops. I do prefer Dreadnaught to this because of the great malt backbone, hop profile, and lower alcohol presence, but it is yet another fantastic FFF brew. I wish more breweries would create 2 contrasting DIPAs that are both excellent in their own respects. Definitely try this if you can, just try Dreadnaught first.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. Bottled on date is unknown, but I purchased it within the last week.

A- Pours a nice dark amber-orange color. About a half fingers worth of head forms but fades quickly. This beer is very cloudy.

S- Lots of hop aroma here obviously. I seem to get more pine and floral hops than anything.

T- Tastes much like the smell, lots of piney resin hop presence. Their is also a bit of an alcohol bite on the back end.

M- Medium bodied, nice and bitter.

This is a great beer, much like its Dreadnaught brother. The main differences I feel between this and Dreadnaught is the hop character (citrus vs pine) and the drinkability factor (No noticeable alcohol bite on Dreadnaught.) I love them both and Arctic Panzer is a fine example of the style. Another great beer from FFF.

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.