Arctic Panzer Wolf - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

A massive IPA that will leave your palate it’s hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

(Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009)
Cresant

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Sierra Nevada Hops glass. No date. The body was a lightly hazed orange gold. The modest head left minimal lacing.

The smell was oranges and pine needles. There was a dank marijuana aroma. Grapefruit juice. Very nice.

The taste was citrus and alcohol. This tastes like a hippy. B.O. and marijuana - ha. Citrus zest bitterness with a late blooming floweriness. There is enough heft and sweetness to counter the bold bitterness.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Overall it was better than I expected.

03-21-2011 14:26:10 | More by Cresant
IchabodcraneIpa

4.43/5  rDev +4%

Enjoyed straight from the bottle while off roading in a passenger seat of a jeep.

The aroma of this one is very citrusy and has a fresh blast of fruity and floral hops.

The taste of this one is very orange peel esque, and it has a nice fruity feel that clings to the semi bitter hops for an excellent blending for an imperial IPA.

The mouth feel of this is dry with a nice crisp bite of hop and citrus peel bitterness on the finish.

The drinkability of this one was pretty high to me as I love IPA style brews a lot.

This one was a very good IPA to me and I loved the citrus aspects in this beer as to me they are nailed pretty well.

03-18-2011 02:31:23 | More by IchabodcraneIpa
pacond

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

I had this bomber from the UPS man! Fits right in with all the other 3floyds IPA's. The clarity of the beer is boss as well as the color, aroma. Hoppy dry finish, not too boozy, nothing that is gating on my palate. If anything this beer has the potential to be very fruity ,citrusy and tropical.

I would love to get super fresh to sample for comparison. I didn't pay for this beer, and I bet it was a nice chunk of change...

03-16-2011 21:49:27 | More by pacond
THECPJ

Delaware

reviewed from notes:

appearance: golde orange with a 2 finger white head

smell: citrus, grass, hops, malts,

taste: citrus, grass, hops, with a dry bitter finish

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body, crisp

drinkability: very well balanced double IPA.

cheers,

the CPJ

03-14-2011 02:26:54 | More by THECPJ
billshmeinke

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into wine glass.

Hazy golden orange body with a one finger head. Dies down to a slim layer of foam on top no lacing left behind. Retention is good though.

Smells of orange jam, zesty citrus, tangerines. A really nice and bright citrusy hop profile. Some green and earthy hop flavors as well.

Taste follows the nose. Tangerines, orange jelly, other bright stone fruits with a huge resinous bitterness to balance things out. Lasting resinous bitterness.

Medium bodied, well carbonated and fairly dry.

Really solid. Def worth seeking out.

03-14-2011 00:12:58 | More by billshmeinke
herman77

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Hazy honey gold. Small white head. Lots of carbonation bubbles streaming up. Not much lacing.

S: Tropical and fruity. Mango, apricots and pineapple. Honey. A bit of sweet toffee malt.

T: More tropical and sweet hops. Slight citrus and grapefruit hop profile, but more tropical and fruity than anything. Nice honey like malt backbone as well. The bitter hop bite comes on the backend. The hops aren't quite as strong as I thought it would be.

M: Light to medium body. Moderate carbonation. Crisp hop bitterness in the finish. Feels a little slick.

D: Good drinkability, had a bomber to myself no problem. Nice fruity hop flavors.

03-12-2011 04:40:07 | More by herman77
bbeane

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

A- Poured into a laser etched DFH chalice... Starts with a nice white head that disappears leaving some light lacing. Beer is a cloudy orange color

S- Has a piney hop aroma with a hint of citrus

T- Im not positive of the freshness of this one... its good, in fact I like it more than the Dreadnaught I think. Not intense, but has a solid hop flavor with very little malty sweetness or citrus. Also has a hint of booziness

M- Medium bodied with medium carbonation

D- I enjoyed this, but there's definitely better DIPA's out there IMO... though, like I said, freshness may have played a part in this ones review

CHEERS!!

03-11-2011 02:23:57 | More by bbeane
Spider889

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

One of the beers I hauled back from my first trip to Chicago. I was really excited for this as it was my first ever FFF purchase.

The label art on this one is bad-ass - a Hot chick Viking standing on a pile of skulls? Hell. Yes.

The beer itself is a pale wheat color, hazed, with lots of visible rising carbonation. The head was pretty small despite my efforts to produce something memorable. I was quickly left with a short line of white bubbles ringing my glass, though these persisted throughout the session. There were intermittent droopy legs of lace that didn't stick to the glass after each sip.

The smell was the best part of this beer imo, and it didn't impress me as much as I had hoped judging from the reviews. Lots of sweet pine and spruce in there. The golden malt is sweet and a huge contributor to this beer's alcohol kick. My initial reaction to the aroma was that this was a cross between Hopslam and Double Trouble.

After, well, it turned out to be not quite as good.

The taste is flush with bitter pine. The hop bitterness is strong with this one. Dry, slightly sweet, the combination of alcohol and carbonation make this one prickly on the tongue.
There's a decent amount of maltiness; this definitely falls into the realm of a Midwest DIPA. I also got mild tones of lemon on the finish.

I found the mouthfeel to be unpleasantly dry. The bitterness on the finish bordered on aspirin, and this was a little boozy for my taste. Full-bodied for an DIPA, with medium to high carbonation.

Overall I didn't care for this. The lack of a freshness date makes it tough to determine the age of this bottle, though the guy at Binny's seemed to think it was fairly fresh.

03-09-2011 21:03:10 | More by Spider889
BeerLover99

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%

A- gold yellow body, 2 finger head, wonderful lacing.

S- grapefruit, lemon peel, leather, tobacco, fresh pine

T: citrus sweet up front, big malt and grain middle encased with pine,
smoky tobacco, long bitter pine finish.

M: med/heavy body, solid carbonation, sticky

O: Glad I revisited this beer, 3 years later. Either
this beer has improved or my palate is more sensitive.
Underrated, gem of an Imp IPA.

DELICIOUS; GRAB A BOTTLE!

03-09-2011 18:15:42 | More by BeerLover99
JAZwara

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Actually had this on tap at 3Floyds brewery and bought a bomber to take home. I didn't try Dreadnaught, but my understanding is thats a significantly different DIPA.

Panzer Wolf is almost all hops. Powerfully strong hop profile thats nearly all grapefruit, reminds me of Avery Maharaja. Very bitter, but also fairly sweet and crisp. A slight malt profile, though the malt is mostly outweighed by a hit of alcohol.

Surprisingly drinkable, the sweetness is just enough to balance out the bitterness. One of my new favorite DIPAs, though it'll be tough to find it down the road.

03-09-2011 03:09:59 | More by JAZwara
Cottzilla

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

3 Floyds' Description: A dry and stupendously hopped medium bodied imperial - IPA brewed with Canadian 2-Row malt, dextrose sugar and lot of American hops. Arctic Panzer Wolf has superior aromas of Marmalade, white wine, pine and apricot all mixed with an intense American hop bitterness.

Not sure how old my bottle is but it was the last one on the shelf.

I poured it into a tulip glass and it had a very nice white head with very little lacing.

It has the appearance of Apricot Juice that I found very pleasing.

It has a wonderful smell. I picked up the Marmalade, white wine and apricot but could pick out the pine.

I wish I got this fresh so there would be more hop taste but what remains is good, not great, and the malt doesn't overpower the hops. At 9% ABV I didn't pick up any offensive alcohol taste, which is a plus.

It feels very smooth in the mount with a dry & slightly bitter finish.

All in all this is a very drinkable beer. Probably a good thing I only had one or I would probably go for another one which would make for a rough morning.

03-08-2011 02:02:21 | More by Cottzilla
Beertinez

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a goblet glass. Assuming its fresh since I acquired from my visit to the 3 Floyds brewpub a couple of days ago. Pours a cloudy orange with a thin, white sheet of head. About half of a finger.

As soon I cracked it open, I got a strong smell of citrus-like hops. I'm loving this so far. Strong citrus note, specifically grapefruit.

The taste has a slight malty-ness. Seems like its there so you don't rip your tongue off from the hop profile. This is followed by a huge and very enjoyable bite of hops. Strong grapefruit-like bitterness. Bitterness stay just for a moment. As it warms, im getting tropical fruit notes; Like a pineapple tart/sweetness.

100 IBU, 9% ABV (both numbers according to the 3 Floyds brewpub menu) and its very drinkable. I didn't even notice i was more than half way through the bomber until i started feeling a little light headed. Like the label describes it, I would say medium bodies.

Overall, an excellent double IPA! I'm reviewing this from the bomber bottle but ive had this once before on tap at 3 Floyds Brewpub and trust me, it only gets better! 3F there balance out the window and just hopped the hell out of this. Recommend for 3 Floyds fans and hop heads!

03-07-2011 07:57:58 | More by Beertinez
ejimhof

Appearance: kind of a light yellow color which I find strange for an Imperial IPA with 1/2 inch head that slowly disapates and very little lacing.

Smell: slightly hoppy and floral.

Taste: mostly citrus flavor. Not overly bitter.

Mouthfeel: smooth and on the lighter side.

Drinkability: Very easy drinker and I never got a sense of the high alcohol from this beer.

03-06-2011 02:11:30 | More by ejimhof
jault52

Indiana

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Have had this a bunch of times but just got a very fresh bottle so wanted to review it, even if I'm a lousy reviewer in terms of describing details.

Poured into a tulip. Nice hazy orange with thin head and barely any lacing.

The smell of this beer, especially fresh, is second to none. Strong citrus. I want to walk around with this on my nose all day.

Tastes just like it smells, amazing. Full of citrus hops with a surprisingly smooth sweet finish.

This is one of my all time favorite's. I will say that sometimes this beer can be a bit much, but most of the time it goes down super smooth. For obvious reasons it's always compared against Dreadnaught, but for me when my store has both, I always grab this one first, and then I grab a Dreadnaught too.

03-05-2011 04:06:08 | More by jault52
imagese

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

On tap @ Lunar

A- slightly hazy golden with no head and no lacing

S- citrus and pine hop. Not much else

T- same as nose, but with the slightest malt sweetness

M- medium body w/ nice carbonation

D- 9oz pour is enough. great beer, but pretty unbalanced

03-05-2011 02:52:55 | More by imagese
websherpa

Montana

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Burnt orange hazy color. Off white half finger head no lacing.

Smell: Pineapple, Grapefruit

Taste: Big citrus flavor. Pineapple and Grapefruit give way to clemantine orangeon the finish. There is a mellow sweetness that really complements all the hoppy citric notes. Quite nice, and way ahead of average.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly with a light but not quite thin body.

Drinkability: A really good beer I put down in no time with my lady. Yet another beer I wish I could get regularly.

03-01-2011 04:57:46 | More by websherpa
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

I guess I should thank my friend Jeff for bringing this brew to a small tasting. You made the rather long weekend worthwhile!

A: Poured a mildly cloudy, soft tangerine color, with about a 1/2 finger or so while head that withered away to almost nothing within seconds.

S: Right away, the candy-like, FFF hop profile hit the nose hard. Luscious and intense smell of grapefruit and apricot, along with that almost indescribable little sumpin' extra that the awesome brewery brings to the table effectively time and time again.

T: Intense citrus and with more apricot than grapefruit on the taste. This was similar to Dreadnaught in it's overall hop profile only. I guess this would be an obvious comparison, but believe me.... they are two separate beers! Dreadnaught is thicker in terms of alkaline citrus content and slightly boozier (in the FFF candy-coated alcohol way), and Arctic Panzer Wolf was a tangerine-apricot delight, highly gulpable, with a much fruitier overall arch.

M: Mild malt backbone (much less so than Dreadnaught), with very even prickly carbonation that was particularly good at breaking up the "fruit juice" quality that was so prevalent in this brew. There was just enough bitterness to counteract the sweetness.

D: Highly drinkable... but still not as special or complex as Dreadnaught or Blackheart.

02-27-2011 13:04:46 | More by Chaney
Sideswipe

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

22oz bottle received in a great box from memyselfandi. Thanks Mike!

Poured into my Hangar 24 tulip. The beer pours a translucent golden, orange color with two fingers of rocky white foam. The head dissipates quickly, no lacing.

This beer smells different than any DIPA I've encountered. The nose is distinctively of apricots and peaches. Smells sweet and fruity.

The taste is overwhelmingly peaches and bitter hops. Different. It is backed up by a sugar cookie malt profile that does a nice job of balancing things out without muting the exquisite bitterness of this brew. It starts out bitter, then moves into a smooth, sweet, peach flavor, and finishes with a lingering bitterness. Very nice.

The beer is medium bodied with a prickly level of carbonation which works here. it's not sticky or cloying at all.

Drinkability is good considering the fact that I'm not detecting much in the way of the advertised 9% ABV. The bitter character of this brew does a good job of masking it.

I like my IPAs bitter and this one certainly fills the bill in that respect. The peach and apricot flavors are different than the usual citrus characteristics that I'm used to, and I'm enjoying this beer. Cheers!

02-26-2011 06:17:56 | More by Sideswipe
Kelly88

Kentucky

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Had this on draft at the Cock and Bull in Covington.

A- nice dark gold look with a solid white cap. Frothy lacing hugs the side of the tulip glass it was served in.

S-cant really smell much. Slight citrus with some bitterness.

T- oranges and pears that are immediately followed by a big hop blast. Finish reminds me of a Nice smooth Bourbon almost.

M- this is the epitome of double ipas. Medium bodied with nice coating That makes for a good refreshing brew. Perfect carbonation. I wish all double ipas had this feel.

D- really nice and refreshing. Great flavor. These two factors make it dangerous but very awesome.

Great beer that is right on par with the rest of their lineup.

02-25-2011 03:27:15 | More by Kelly88
TCgoalie

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a peachy yellow with a slight green hue. Not much head upon the pour, nor is there much lacing.

I am picking up a lot of peach in the smell along with melon, pine, and apricot.

The taste is solid with a lot of apricot up front along with melon. The aftertaste brings about a piney bite that clashes a bit with the fruit.

On the light side of medium in the mouth. I am getting some sticky spit after swallowing along with some mild drying.

The drinkability is very good. This doesn't taste more than 6%.

02-25-2011 02:07:54 | More by TCgoalie
zoso1967

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Arctic Panzer Wolf pours a slightly cloudy golden amber color that has a slight orange hue to it. The head is a rich parchment color and has nice staying power. It also leaves some very sticky and messy lace on the sides of the glass as I savor this tasty beer.

The aroma is fruity, hoppy and sweet with a very nice peach, apricot and mango character that is evident from the first whiff. Other hop aromas include pine, ruby red grapefruit and mandarin orange. Though there is a good hit of malt in the aroma, the malt character is only slightly caramel and is mostly fairly sugar cookie like and neutral. There is also just a slight whiff of alcohol.

The flavor is quite different from most other beers of this style. It is very sweet with a sugar cookie and honey profile. All that malt slams right into a truckload of bitterness that leaves my tongue tingling. Zesty pine and citrus hop flavors zing my tongue ounce the initial peachy goodness has subsided and then comes a wonderful fruity floral sweetness. This is one of the juiciest double IPAs I think I have ever tasted.

The mouthfeel is medium and though low in carbonation, it is quite spiky feeling. The finish is very interesting and one of my favorite aspects of the beer. It is at the same time sweet and bitingly bitter, sort of like a sweet and tart candy. It actually makes my mouth water.

I find this to be a very drinkable beer for the style and absolutely love the finish and fresh fruity character. That being said, it is a bit much at times and while I am definitely enjoying the ride, I was ready to get off near the end of the bottle. While I don't think this is quite as well put together as the world class Dreadnaught, I definitely will try to pick up another bottle of this next time I am in Three Floyds country.

02-24-2011 00:47:22 | More by zoso1967
JLeege

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance- Poured into a tulip with a slightly hazy golden/orange color. Creamy two finger white head, with good retention, some nice lacing.

Smell- Lots of citrus fruits, lemon, pineapple, grapefruit, apricot. A little pine resin as well.

Taste- No surprises here, a ton of citrus fruits again. Apricot really stands out. A little sweetness in the middle with some pine on the back end. Lingering taste of bitter citrus. Has a tropical feel to it (despite the arctic name).

Mouthfeel- Medium body and carbonation, a tad bit oily. Smooth.

Overall- A very nice DIPA, with citrus being the main focus. I prefer this over BrooDoo but it is no Dreadnaught; which seems like the obligatory comparison with this one. ABV's are hid well, and the bomber is going down very quickly.

02-23-2011 03:31:13 | More by JLeege
Reaper16

Alabama

4.43/5  rDev +4%

22oz. bottle served into a globe glass

Pours a bright, sunshine yellow color with plenty of orange highlights. A sudsy, off-white head builds up to 1.25 fingers or so, and is content to stick around a while. Lacing was merely iffy, but I think it was the fault of my glass. It looks sort of like a cough drop. Can't really complain about the appearance, it looks nice.

I love this aroma. It's a narrow, specific profile, but man does Three Floyds nail it. Lush bright stonefruit all over the place: peach, primarily, with apricot also making itself known. There's something that reminds me of a clementine, but sort of in a jammy/preserves kind of way. I suppose this could be what the label refers to as a "marmalade" note, because I don't smell marmalade. Beyond the stonefruit and citrus jam scents is a very vinous sort of citrus. My first instinct said Chardonnay, but I think it's more of an Alsace Riesling characteristic. All of this is backed up by some gentle pine. Lovely.

The taste follows the nose. That Riesling meets fresh stonefruit characteristic is going strong. The pine/grassy hop flavors are a little stronger on the palate, but they accentuate the brighter, fruitier hop flavors. The malts don't shy away in this beer; cracker-like, light, but present. It doesn't really taste all that much like honey, but there is a honeyed aspect in there... like a honey graham cracker but without the graham flavor. Honey cracker describes it exactly, whatever a honey cracker is. Don't be scared away just because I mention the malt. This isn't an East Coast IIPA by any means. I don't know how this will taste old; Three Floyds' more famous IIPA, Dreadnaught, is pretty much a malt-bomb when too old. I suspect that Arctic Panzer Wolf will not be as overtly malty in old-age, mostly because of the significantly reduced level of caramel malts here relative to Dreadnaught.

Not much active carbonation here. It's smooth, but traditional thinking says that carbonation accentuates the bright flavors. I was all set to score the mouthfeel a 3.5 for this reason, but I realized that the smoothness works well with the white wine-like flavor profile that this beer is going for. The consistent, focused flavor profile makes for a very, very, very drinkable IIPA. This is for people who love hop flavors but generally dislike hop bitterness.

This isn't in the same realm of complexity as Dreadnaught, but it's specificity and focus and overall deliciousness have significant merit. If you can try this beer, do not hesitate. Especially if you're someone who enjoys both hoppy beer and classic white wine varietals.

02-19-2011 18:50:41 | More by Reaper16
Jeffo

Netherlands

2.6/5  rDev -39%

Bottle provided by thomashardy in a recent trade. Thanks again for everything mate.

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger, medium-thinner looking, off-white head with decent retention. Burnt orange in color, but more tangerine when held to the light. Perfectly clear with lower levels of carbonation evident. Head fades to a decent wisp and ring. A splotchy wisp and ring remain until the end leaving touches of lacing down the sides.

SMELL: Pale malts, apricot and some citrus notes. Grapefruit and some floral hop. Nice, though on the milder side of things.

TASTE: Pale malts up front with some light biscuit notes. Lots of citrus through the middle with some lemon and orange peel, moving into a bitter hop and grapefruit finish. Bitter and floral hop aftertaste is hold and lingering. A little light on the flavor up front and kind of bitter for the sake of being bitter in the finish. Alright.

PALATE: Medium-light body and higher levels of active carbonation. Goes down a bit rough with a slight scratch at the end. Not smooth or creamy enough really. Finish is slightly astringent.. Disappointing. Gets a little better as it sits, but still disappointing compared to others in the style.

OVERALL: Wasn't really thrilled with this one. The flavor was alright, but the light, bubbly body with the overly astringent finish was a definite detractor. Not a bad beer, just nothing worth writing home about. I'd skip this one and choose Dreadnaught any day. Regardless, I'd wanted to try this one for a long time. Thanks again for the opportunity thomashardy.

02-16-2011 19:31:36 | More by Jeffo
Onenote81

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Killer extra from yeahnatenelson in a recent trade! Says he picked it up from the brewery recently, so this one's fresh!

22oz bottle poured into a chalice. Pours a cloudy honey-gold with a thin bone-white head atop. Dissipates to just a ring around the collar. Light webbing coats the glass. The nose bursts with pine needles, citrus zest, and just hints of damp wood on the finish. Were this a car-scent, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

The body is slightly oily with a moderately heavy finish. Carbonation level is alright. Heavy stuff though. This beer errs on the sweet side of the DIPA spectrum. Candy-like hops start it out, then finish with a bitter punch across the mouth. Nothing lingers long though, as the bitterness is fleeting. Leafy hops, grass, lemon. This definitely carries juicy flavors. Alcohol is noticeable, especially as this warms. This was a great beer for sure, but man, I wish I would have split this with a friend. Really rich stuff. Thanks again, Nate!

02-16-2011 19:05:21 | More by Onenote81