Arctic Panzer Wolf - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

A massive IPA that will leave your palate it’s hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

(Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009)

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 4/5/11
*From notes

A HUGE thanks goes out to cadaugherty for including this one as an amazing extra in our recent trade. Cheers, Chad!

A: Extremely hazy copper-gold. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this one was a witbier. When poured, it yields a 1.75 finger head which, as it fades, looks extremely soapy.

S: An amazing and generous amount of fruit on the nose. It's bursting with juicy, vine ripened peaches.

T: Bitter, then fruit, then back to bitter. This Wolf really attacks the palate with force. It doesn't let up, as it sticks around long after the brew has passed the lips. A massive assault of hops.

M: A bit sharp; the carbonation feels a bit obtuse. If this was toned back though, I can only imagine the kind of hoppy intensity that would linger on the tounge.

O: This is what a DIPA should be: WWIII, fought on the battleground of our palates. Three Floyd's Arctic Panzer Wolf is one hell of an intense brew. Having had this next to a fresh Dreadnaught, I would consider this a go-getting Type A, where Dreadnaught a laid-back Type B.

A hearty recommendation from me - this is worth seeking out.

Rhettroactive, Apr 06, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a hazy yellow color, with a white head. In the aroma, orange citrus hops. In the taste, a dry orange citrus hop presence that just doesn't quit. A small hop bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry orange rind flavor in the aftertaste. Quite smooth and delicious, nice orange citrus and hops.

OWSLEY069, Apr 06, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle with no freshness date. Served at room temperature and poured into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. Big thanks to AgentZero for this longtime want.

Appearance: Golden orange in color with a one finger, fizzy white head. The head subsides pretty quickly into the thinest of lacings around the edge.

Aroma: Mango, apricot, and grapefruit notes are all there. Definitely highlights the more tropical fruity notes from the hops here. Only a touch of pale malt. Nice balance.

Taste: Pineapple, mango, grapefruit and a touch of pine. Definitely more bitterness than the aroma, but the sweet hop notes really dominate (and that's a good thing in my opinion). The balance keeps it out of the realm of cloying sweetness.

Mouthfeel; Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall, a really nice DIPA with great hop flavors and balance. Of all the 3 3Floyd's IPAs I've had (the other two being Apocalypse Cow and Dreadnaught), this was my favorite by a long shot. Highly recommended.

Gosox8787, Apr 06, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

A- 3.5 This beer isn't all that exciting in appearance. It is a clear light gold and has a minimal white head composed of medium sized bubbles. It does have smooth, uniform lacing and active bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass.

S- 5 Very nice, strong aroma that is a well-balanced blend of citrus (grapefruit, apricot), pine, white grapes, and hops. It is pungent and reminds me of herbs that I've smelled at rock concerts.

T- 4.5 The hop oils come through strongly as the brew coats my mouth, and a little bit of malt sweetness works its way in at the middle of the drink. That is followed by a dry, pine-like bitterness to finish. Altogether it is a little citrusy as are many of the style. Very well-rounded taste to this one, and its 9% ABV is well hidden.

M- 4.5 Near perfect feel; it's medium in body and there is nice carbonation. Just a little syrupy finish leaves me dry but wanting more to quench it.

D- 4 This is a really good imperial IPA. As I've mentioned before, I'm not the biggest hop-head (probably wouldn't have more than a bomber in a sitting), but the style is growing on me and I certainly appreciate it. This brew's aroma is excellent and has a well-balanced taste taboot. It is up there with the best of the style (that I've tried), and it's worth a shot if you can get your hands on it.

KYBrewgrass, Apr 04, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to ChadQuest for sending me this as part of our locals-for-locals deal, it's yet another FFFs beer I've had my eye on.

Pours a hazy yellow with tons of bubbles rising to the surface to the point where they have a noticeable effect on the clarity of the beer. Hints of orange and brown make this a good looking beer, though the particulate head dissipated kind of fizzily. Good spotty lace and texture to the thin cap it left behind though.

Smells of pineapple more than any other beer I've had - it's straight up cut pineapple on a plate in front of me. Just the right amount of sweetness helps the nose without overpowering the pleasant fruity acidity. Maybe a bit of mango and pine, but not too much.

Taste has a bit more diversity in its tropical fruit, with mango definitely coming out a bit more. Pineapple is still the star of the show and is accented by some grapefruit. Resin hits at the back, while pine is much more noticeable as the beer warms. Caramel sweetness is sticky and balanced. Not as good as the aroma, but a good taste for sure.

Mouthfeel is crisp and juicy during the fruit start, moves to a dryness from the pine, and has a semi-sticky finish from the hop/malt combo. Solid. Drinkability is good, though the resin at the back burns a bit. This is ok, but I'd rather have a fruity beer like this be smooth and neutral the whole way through. Definitely need to get my hands on Dreadnaught in the near future.

madvermin, Mar 27, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Bomber poured into a tulip glass

Pale cloudy yellow color with little head

Citrus and hoppy smell

Taste is very smooth with hoppy notes with little hop aftertaste

Not as good as dreadnaught but it is A very good seasonal dipa and I will be looking for more from them in the future

jsulko, Mar 27, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Another great IPA from 3floyds.

Pours a translucent pale orange with only slight haze in the glass. The beer is aggresively carbonated with bubbles almost fighting their way from the bottom of my Sam Adams glass to the head of the beer which is very fizzy and produces little to no lacing.

Taste and smell is somewhat similar to other 3Floyds IPAs with huge citrus notes and floral notes along with some spicy herbs and fresh cut grass.

Feels very alive in my mouth from the carbonation and a sticky resinous bitterness is left in my mouth for a long while after a drink.

Overall this beer is top notch. Although not my favorite, I'd gladly revisit this anytime an opportunity arises.

z3niMAGiNE, Mar 25, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a bright amber with an orange hue. A fairly decent-sized white head with good head retention and decent lacing. huge amounts of Hops on the nose Pine and Grapefruit, along with a small amount of sweet fruit. Medium bodied, extremely dry and bitter. Tastes like I'm drinking straight-up grapefruit juice with a hint of pine on the back-end. Balanced nicely, hops lingers on for a while. excellent IIPA. My 1st FFF brew, I have many more to come.

beergod1, Mar 25, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Sierra Nevada Hops glass. No date. The body was a lightly hazed orange gold. The modest head left minimal lacing.

The smell was oranges and pine needles. There was a dank marijuana aroma. Grapefruit juice. Very nice.

The taste was citrus and alcohol. This tastes like a hippy. B.O. and marijuana - ha. Citrus zest bitterness with a late blooming floweriness. There is enough heft and sweetness to counter the bold bitterness.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Overall it was better than I expected.

Cresant, Mar 21, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Enjoyed straight from the bottle while off roading in a passenger seat of a jeep.

The aroma of this one is very citrusy and has a fresh blast of fruity and floral hops.

The taste of this one is very orange peel esque, and it has a nice fruity feel that clings to the semi bitter hops for an excellent blending for an imperial IPA.

The mouth feel of this is dry with a nice crisp bite of hop and citrus peel bitterness on the finish.

The drinkability of this one was pretty high to me as I love IPA style brews a lot.

This one was a very good IPA to me and I loved the citrus aspects in this beer as to me they are nailed pretty well.

IchabodcraneIpa, Mar 18, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

I had this bomber from the UPS man! Fits right in with all the other 3floyds IPA's. The clarity of the beer is boss as well as the color, aroma. Hoppy dry finish, not too boozy, nothing that is gating on my palate. If anything this beer has the potential to be very fruity ,citrusy and tropical.

I would love to get super fresh to sample for comparison. I didn't pay for this beer, and I bet it was a nice chunk of change...

pacond, Mar 16, 2011

reviewed from notes:

appearance: golde orange with a 2 finger white head

smell: citrus, grass, hops, malts,

taste: citrus, grass, hops, with a dry bitter finish

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body, crisp

drinkability: very well balanced double IPA.

cheers,

the CPJ

THECPJ, Mar 14, 2011

Poured into wine glass.

Hazy golden orange body with a one finger head. Dies down to a slim layer of foam on top no lacing left behind. Retention is good though.

Smells of orange jam, zesty citrus, tangerines. A really nice and bright citrusy hop profile. Some green and earthy hop flavors as well.

Taste follows the nose. Tangerines, orange jelly, other bright stone fruits with a huge resinous bitterness to balance things out. Lasting resinous bitterness.

Medium bodied, well carbonated and fairly dry.

Really solid. Def worth seeking out.

billshmeinke, Mar 14, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Hazy honey gold. Small white head. Lots of carbonation bubbles streaming up. Not much lacing.

S: Tropical and fruity. Mango, apricots and pineapple. Honey. A bit of sweet toffee malt.

T: More tropical and sweet hops. Slight citrus and grapefruit hop profile, but more tropical and fruity than anything. Nice honey like malt backbone as well. The bitter hop bite comes on the backend. The hops aren't quite as strong as I thought it would be.

M: Light to medium body. Moderate carbonation. Crisp hop bitterness in the finish. Feels a little slick.

D: Good drinkability, had a bomber to myself no problem. Nice fruity hop flavors.

herman77, Mar 12, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

A- Poured into a laser etched DFH chalice... Starts with a nice white head that disappears leaving some light lacing. Beer is a cloudy orange color

S- Has a piney hop aroma with a hint of citrus

T- Im not positive of the freshness of this one... its good, in fact I like it more than the Dreadnaught I think. Not intense, but has a solid hop flavor with very little malty sweetness or citrus. Also has a hint of booziness

M- Medium bodied with medium carbonation

D- I enjoyed this, but there's definitely better DIPA's out there IMO... though, like I said, freshness may have played a part in this ones review

CHEERS!!

bbeane, Mar 11, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

One of the beers I hauled back from my first trip to Chicago. I was really excited for this as it was my first ever FFF purchase.

The label art on this one is bad-ass - a Hot chick Viking standing on a pile of skulls? Hell. Yes.

The beer itself is a pale wheat color, hazed, with lots of visible rising carbonation. The head was pretty small despite my efforts to produce something memorable. I was quickly left with a short line of white bubbles ringing my glass, though these persisted throughout the session. There were intermittent droopy legs of lace that didn't stick to the glass after each sip.

The smell was the best part of this beer imo, and it didn't impress me as much as I had hoped judging from the reviews. Lots of sweet pine and spruce in there. The golden malt is sweet and a huge contributor to this beer's alcohol kick. My initial reaction to the aroma was that this was a cross between Hopslam and Double Trouble.

After, well, it turned out to be not quite as good.

The taste is flush with bitter pine. The hop bitterness is strong with this one. Dry, slightly sweet, the combination of alcohol and carbonation make this one prickly on the tongue.
There's a decent amount of maltiness; this definitely falls into the realm of a Midwest DIPA. I also got mild tones of lemon on the finish.

I found the mouthfeel to be unpleasantly dry. The bitterness on the finish bordered on aspirin, and this was a little boozy for my taste. Full-bodied for an DIPA, with medium to high carbonation.

Overall I didn't care for this. The lack of a freshness date makes it tough to determine the age of this bottle, though the guy at Binny's seemed to think it was fairly fresh.

Spider889, Mar 09, 2011
4.36/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- gold yellow body, 2 finger head, wonderful lacing.

S- grapefruit, lemon peel, leather, tobacco, fresh pine

T: citrus sweet up front, big malt and grain middle encased with pine,
smoky tobacco, long bitter pine finish.

M: med/heavy body, solid carbonation, sticky

O: Glad I revisited this beer, 3 years later. Either
this beer has improved or my palate is more sensitive.
Underrated, gem of an Imp IPA.

DELICIOUS; GRAB A BOTTLE!

BeerLover99, Mar 09, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Actually had this on tap at 3Floyds brewery and bought a bomber to take home. I didn't try Dreadnaught, but my understanding is thats a significantly different DIPA.

Panzer Wolf is almost all hops. Powerfully strong hop profile thats nearly all grapefruit, reminds me of Avery Maharaja. Very bitter, but also fairly sweet and crisp. A slight malt profile, though the malt is mostly outweighed by a hit of alcohol.

Surprisingly drinkable, the sweetness is just enough to balance out the bitterness. One of my new favorite DIPAs, though it'll be tough to find it down the road.

JAZwara, Mar 09, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

3 Floyds' Description: A dry and stupendously hopped medium bodied imperial - IPA brewed with Canadian 2-Row malt, dextrose sugar and lot of American hops. Arctic Panzer Wolf has superior aromas of Marmalade, white wine, pine and apricot all mixed with an intense American hop bitterness.

Not sure how old my bottle is but it was the last one on the shelf.

I poured it into a tulip glass and it had a very nice white head with very little lacing.

It has the appearance of Apricot Juice that I found very pleasing.

It has a wonderful smell. I picked up the Marmalade, white wine and apricot but could pick out the pine.

I wish I got this fresh so there would be more hop taste but what remains is good, not great, and the malt doesn't overpower the hops. At 9% ABV I didn't pick up any offensive alcohol taste, which is a plus.

It feels very smooth in the mount with a dry & slightly bitter finish.

All in all this is a very drinkable beer. Probably a good thing I only had one or I would probably go for another one which would make for a rough morning.

Cottzilla, Mar 08, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a goblet glass. Assuming its fresh since I acquired from my visit to the 3 Floyds brewpub a couple of days ago. Pours a cloudy orange with a thin, white sheet of head. About half of a finger.

As soon I cracked it open, I got a strong smell of citrus-like hops. I'm loving this so far. Strong citrus note, specifically grapefruit.

The taste has a slight malty-ness. Seems like its there so you don't rip your tongue off from the hop profile. This is followed by a huge and very enjoyable bite of hops. Strong grapefruit-like bitterness. Bitterness stay just for a moment. As it warms, im getting tropical fruit notes; Like a pineapple tart/sweetness.

100 IBU, 9% ABV (both numbers according to the 3 Floyds brewpub menu) and its very drinkable. I didn't even notice i was more than half way through the bomber until i started feeling a little light headed. Like the label describes it, I would say medium bodies.

Overall, an excellent double IPA! I'm reviewing this from the bomber bottle but ive had this once before on tap at 3 Floyds Brewpub and trust me, it only gets better! 3F there balance out the window and just hopped the hell out of this. Recommend for 3 Floyds fans and hop heads!

Beertinez, Mar 07, 2011

Appearance: kind of a light yellow color which I find strange for an Imperial IPA with 1/2 inch head that slowly disapates and very little lacing.

Smell: slightly hoppy and floral.

Taste: mostly citrus flavor. Not overly bitter.

Mouthfeel: smooth and on the lighter side.

Drinkability: Very easy drinker and I never got a sense of the high alcohol from this beer.

ejimhof, Mar 06, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Have had this a bunch of times but just got a very fresh bottle so wanted to review it, even if I'm a lousy reviewer in terms of describing details.

Poured into a tulip. Nice hazy orange with thin head and barely any lacing.

The smell of this beer, especially fresh, is second to none. Strong citrus. I want to walk around with this on my nose all day.

Tastes just like it smells, amazing. Full of citrus hops with a surprisingly smooth sweet finish.

This is one of my all time favorite's. I will say that sometimes this beer can be a bit much, but most of the time it goes down super smooth. For obvious reasons it's always compared against Dreadnaught, but for me when my store has both, I always grab this one first, and then I grab a Dreadnaught too.

jault52, Mar 05, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

On tap @ Lunar

A- slightly hazy golden with no head and no lacing

S- citrus and pine hop. Not much else

T- same as nose, but with the slightest malt sweetness

M- medium body w/ nice carbonation

D- 9oz pour is enough. great beer, but pretty unbalanced

imagese, Mar 05, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Burnt orange hazy color. Off white half finger head no lacing.

Smell: Pineapple, Grapefruit

Taste: Big citrus flavor. Pineapple and Grapefruit give way to clemantine orangeon the finish. There is a mellow sweetness that really complements all the hoppy citric notes. Quite nice, and way ahead of average.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly with a light but not quite thin body.

Drinkability: A really good beer I put down in no time with my lady. Yet another beer I wish I could get regularly.

websherpa, Mar 01, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

I guess I should thank my friend Jeff for bringing this brew to a small tasting. You made the rather long weekend worthwhile!

A: Poured a mildly cloudy, soft tangerine color, with about a 1/2 finger or so while head that withered away to almost nothing within seconds.

S: Right away, the candy-like, FFF hop profile hit the nose hard. Luscious and intense smell of grapefruit and apricot, along with that almost indescribable little sumpin' extra that the awesome brewery brings to the table effectively time and time again.

T: Intense citrus and with more apricot than grapefruit on the taste. This was similar to Dreadnaught in it's overall hop profile only. I guess this would be an obvious comparison, but believe me.... they are two separate beers! Dreadnaught is thicker in terms of alkaline citrus content and slightly boozier (in the FFF candy-coated alcohol way), and Arctic Panzer Wolf was a tangerine-apricot delight, highly gulpable, with a much fruitier overall arch.

M: Mild malt backbone (much less so than Dreadnaught), with very even prickly carbonation that was particularly good at breaking up the "fruit juice" quality that was so prevalent in this brew. There was just enough bitterness to counteract the sweetness.

D: Highly drinkable... but still not as special or complex as Dreadnaught or Blackheart.

Chaney, Feb 27, 2011