Arctic Panzer Wolf - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Reviews: 703 | Hads: 3,436
2.48/5  rDev -40.8%

Appearance: Pours a clouded, darkened yellow body with a small-sized, whitish head.

Smell: Immediately, APW unapologetically stings the nostrils with condensed florals, distilled resins, powderized pith, and handmade soap.

Taste: Simplistic cracker-accented malts, lacking sweetness, preclude the all-too fatiguing hop tastes of resinous pine sap, ground aspirin tablets, and bitter white citrus pith. Harshly bitter. Small sip of plumeria-scented soap. The only thing left to oppose the bitterness is some numbing booze. Finishes dry, astringent.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not particularly drinkable, no. Abrasive, grating, and unpleasant.

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

Served in a nonic pint glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

More hops come tumbling in during this deluge! This participant pours a lightly hazy golden amber topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises sweet caramel, pine, mint, and some light leek. The taste holds notes of pine, leek, light grapefruit, caramel, spearmint, and lettuce. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, a very nice DIPA, though a bit greens-heavy for my liking.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

204th review on BA
bottle to tulip

App- A very gorgeous orange/yellow. A nice 1 finger head with some shimmering highlights dancing in the glass.

Smell- Huge tangerine citrusy hops and a tad of a spice note

Taste- Delicious full on wet drinking beer. Has a great citrus flavor but just more on the spicy/malty side.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carb level that ends a bit dry.

Drink- Don't get me wrong. I live in CA and we do some good IPA's. But 3F has some damn good beers. I suggest you start trading for them if you live in CA like I do.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Served in a modified tulip glass

This bomber was relatively fresh so I anticipated goodness. The beer pours the standard golden color with white head. The aroma was kinda filled with citrusy hops, but the nose was balanced with a decent variety of malt notes. The overall flavor was a sweet malt base with hops covering overtop. This went down extraordinarily easy I must say this was a damn tasty beer that I had. I'm glad that I pulled the trigger on this particular brew.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

22 oz. bottle courtesy of Alexander - huge thanks to a great trader! Cracked as soon as I could find the time to after this one landed, so I could enjoy it as fresh as possible. Poured in to a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a tangerine sunrise, crystalline and transparent, marred only by an excessive - nay, obscene - amount of precipitate, shocked out of this one by transportation through excessive cold. Consistent, quick, and fine carbonation zips up mercurially from the nucleation site at the center of the snifter towards the head. A little weak on the retention side of things, the frothy white head - initially about one finger tall - fades to a wide swath of surface lace and a thin fuzzy collar. The retention on the sides of the glass is similarly slightly retarded, with a few dashes of snowy slop all that manages to stick. The hue is fantastic, but the particulates and the lacing leave something to be desired.

Aroma: Spicy wintergreen and herbal notes mingle with pineapple, mango, and tangerines, pleasantly and attractively enough. The spiciness mingles nicely with the simple, biscuity sweetness, about as smoothly as you can expect it to given the intensity of the hops here.

Taste: Dank. About as fat and juicy as you can imagine. It reminds me of a more herbal Sculpin in many ways. That is, the hop profile is moderately to moderately high on the bitterness side of things, and the citrus profile is tropical, high, and full of tangerines, peaches, oranges, and mango. But this one has a decidedly eastern twist - resinous, leafy notes are practically dripping between every other flavor component here, rich, tobacco-like, with hints of wintergreen, thyme, and juniper berry, suggestive of dry hopping with an east coast hop. It's also Dreadnaught-esque, in a way, but with a lighter malt base - the malt base here is graham cracker-like, still roasted, yes, but lighter, crisper, and a little dryer than the big, fat, sweet, cane sugar-like juicyness that you get out of D-naught. It's a great combination - the dryness and lesser roast of the base compliments the minty, spicy, leafy notes well, much better than a sweet, roasty base would have complimented the hop notes here, or much better than the dry, crackery base here would have complimented a citrusy, juicier hop profile.

Mouthfeel: Very bright, especially the beginning, making for a fluffy, largely carbonated feel in a body of moderate thickness. The end result is an expressive mouth, a little aloof, though it works well with the dryness, and thick, resinous hop overtones.

Drinkability: I enjoyed this beer a lot - I can only imagine how good this would have been straight off the bright tank. At 9.0%, it's not prohibitive, and it's certainly not out of the ordinary for the style. A fat, resin-fueled DIPA from a fantastic brewery, this one is definitely one seeking out, and I hope that 3F makes this again, if only so I can get a bottle as soon as one comes off the bottling line.

3.89/5  rDev -7.2%

Live review of a 22 oz bottle.
A: Poured a cloudy pale amber with a half-finger white head that died quickly to a thin collar.
S: Pineapple and some pear and apricot, orangey-grapefruit... man this is fruity like a jam. There is some wheat and yeasty element and a slightly buttery toffee. Interesting.
T: Dry white wine is an odd touch to an otherwise marmalade/jelly-esque hops presence. The malts are more pale than expected, like white bread. Sugary sweetness. Some yeasty tones.
M: Medium-bodied, with a carbonation that starts out thick frothy and then ends dry with the lingering hops.
D: Good. A couple glasses would be fine.

This is an interesting one. It is very good for a dry-hopped beer.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Had this on tap at the Map Room. It poured a nice bright and cloudy orange with a nice big thick head.

The smell was all citrus and orange peel and fresh hops. Very nice.

The flavor had a light sweetness to it with a touch of orange and citrus with a big blast of fresh west coast hop flavor, big citrus and pine.

The mouthfeel had a nice resiny thickness to it without a medium body.

Very drinkable and good, yet almost a bit unremarkable compared to some of the their other Pale Ale's.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

The label alone is reason enough to get this!! Who DOESN'T love Hot, nordic chicks in almost no clothing wielding battle axes standing on top of a mountain of skulls!!!??

Thanks to wonderful trader Brian44556 for this gem. Cheers mate.

In that spirit, this beer pours a gorgeous nordic amber with blonde highlights. The soft, white bosom of foam that adorns the top of this ale is the texture of the bubbles that sit atop the hot Icelandic springs...This quickly compacts into a beautiful, snow white cap and leaves nary a bit of lace...wonderful, crisp and full grapefruit greets you straight away and then is joined by some sweetened and dried mango...There might be a touch of misty mountain pine in the back, too. The flavor is very delicious and unique, as are seemingly all the FFF brews. Starts off crisp and citrusy, and moves quickly into a certain malty sweetness. The malt is complemented by a biting hop bitterness that is equal part WHOA and WOW. It's a cavalcade of bittery goodness clashing metal in your mouth. The middle rounds itself off with a nice, bready note (like a biscuit with hop flowers on it), and then finishes with a few hundred dashes of hoppy tastiness. Finish is super long and bitter in a good way. I like the balance in this, which is hilarious to say because it's mostly a hop bomb. However, I find myself cherishing the malty notes that frequent this ale. Very good beer and fun to drink, because a hot, semni-naked cartoon nordic chick with a battle axe is on the label...

What I like most: Other than the label itself, the wonderful, complementary flavor profile.

What I like least: The rather pedestrian pour.

Verdict: Almost flawless and a wonderful beer, unique and worth whatever it costs to get it.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

22oz bottle into snifter.
awesome extra sent by auroracrisis!

The beer pours a cloudy golden yellow with a white head.

The aroma is of strong orange citrus and a faint backing of pine. It seems fairly dry.

The taste is a pleasant mix of more citric orange notes and a nice resiny pine backing.

The mouth feel is medium bodied, with a crisp, fairly dry finish.

There is definitely something a little different in this DIPA than the standard, which I am guessing is contributed by the Canadian 2 Row Malt as described on the bottle. Quite enjoyable, though a bit of a slow drinker overall.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

It's a murky yellow-orange. The color itself isn't all that appealing--what's left after a post-explosive flush. And despite that imagery that's nothing short of disgusting, it looks delicious. The savior: a thick frothy head that would probably stay there forever were I never to take a sip. It's been several minutes since this one found it's new home in my DFH Signature glass, and only one small side has slightly dissipated. Even where that's happened, creamy froth coats the glass, and I still can see the top of the actual beer. It's among the best-looking froths I've ever seen. It beckons.

I read the bottle label, so I cheated a little. I probably wouldn't have found white wine, but chardonnay? Orange marmalade? Fruits, for sure. And lots of American hops. I've been hopped out lately, and sadly, even stouted out. I don't really like winter brews, so I've been leaning toward Belgian here at the turn of the year. But this beauty welcomes me back to the hop!

A little thin, honestly, is my first reaction. All of a sudden, the smell isn't as cool. No doubt I'm being critical--that's what I do when I write reviews--but it's missing something. It's good, but short of my sky-high expectations. I guess the hops are sufficient (I so don't want to say "more hops"), and it's the FEEL that seems lacking--too thin and dry. Is it fair? Should I share that I keep thinking about Hopslam's arrival as I sit here sipping? I don't know what to blame...I look back at the bottle and pick the Canadian malt (damn Canadians--j/k). It's not bitter enough. It's not sweet enough. Oh, geez, it's not Hopslam enough, okay? It's good but, unfortunately, forgettable. Still, it's good enough to drink all day. Thank you, Will (wilwfu), for this one--from a box so good nobody'd believe me if I listed its contents.

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

I pour the light-bodied, kinda thin liquid into my glass and with my first sniff I was flooded with memories; fresh raspberry kringle! I can smell the raspberry tartness rolled into the flaky buttery phyllo dough, topped with a wildly sweet frosting. I feel as if I am sitting in my parent's kitchen, sipping coffee, waiting for the kringle to be cut and served. So, anxiously, I dive right in.

The raspberry-kringle aroma turns into a sugar-on-grapefruit bittersweetness once it hits my tongue. It's not overly sweet like many other versions of the style, but it keeps the citrus rind tang in check with a pleasing and subtle tropical fruit perfume. The alcohol is masked in it's own drinkability. There is an easy-goingness about this monster that I was not expecting.

Then, it hits me: this hop monster is not of the scaring kind! It's a friendly beast! It's welcoming like those nordic people who settled on our shores of Lake Michigan so many generations ago, the offspring of vikings, who seemed so large and unruly at the time, but instead of slaying us; invited us over for coffee and sweet kringle.

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%

22oz into a Duvel Tulip. Brought back by a friend on a trip to Indiana. No date on the bottle.

Pours a hazy bright Yellow-Orange. Looks great. Dense, foamy head and tons of sticky lacing.

Nose is a little muted. I can pull out some yummy citrus hops. Wish it were a little more pronounced.

Great big bitter hop barrage. Citrus hops galore. My kind of DIPA.

Medium-thin and fairly dry. This is how a DIPA should be. Any heavier and it. Would enter barleywine territory. This is 100% India Pale Ale.

Overall, a delicious and well crafted brew. Impressive, even if it is way overpriced at $12.99 a bomber.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

22oz bomber purchased from brewery in Munster, IN, poured into SA glass.
Clear, yellow elixir, thin, white head retained throughout.
Aroma familiar to those who crave the hops: citrus, grapefruit, piney hops. Strong. A brew you stick your nose into prior to each draw.
The taste does not disappoint. Well balanced, nice body, hidden alcohol. hops fronted, spread throughout with lingering tingle and mild hop bitterness. Easy to down a couple of these.
A nice addition to the 3Floyds stable of brews.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

A: Golden Yellow with nice two finger white head.

S: Grapefruit/ Pine/ Mango

T: The mango comes out up front with bitter grapefruit on the finish.

MF: A solid texture, medium body with a solid hop profile.

D: Fairly easy to drink, however, the hop profile is a little out of balance and the bitterness of this beer would make this a chore to drink after you have had few.

An above average DIPA worth trying but probably not going out of your way for.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Consumed 11/18/10 fresh shipment, so I don't have to worry about no bottling date.

Poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A: My favorite DIPA color. Hazy, sunshine yellow. Super bright and cheerful, little do I know what waits under the surface. A thick, frothy off-white head hugs the inside of the glass, leaving a sticky mess upon finishing.

S: I could smell hops when I opened the bottle, and when I poured it into my glass. A barrage of peaches, white grapes, oranges, and juicy grapefruit smack your olfactory nerves. Resin and pine sit in the background, and a tiny sweet whiff of malt is hiding under the bleachers in this heavy hitter hop game.

T: Sticky, resinous hops kick you to the ground and make you feel insignificant, but then a sugar cookie malt finish picks you up and soothes you, only to drop you on your head again on the next sip. Massive grapefruit and lemon chunks abound. Beautiful.

F: Medium, and a bit oily on the tongue, but hops kick in for a dry, bitter, lingering finish.

D: Undeniable palate wrecker, but I'm a masochist for this sweet punishment. I will get another bomber before they're gone.

a- bomber poured into a tulip, warm honey tea coloring, lots of floaties, one finger fades to a layer of lace.

s- bright, citric, not overly sweet here, a bit of honey cutting through, also some dryness.

t- pretty much follows the nose, hops and nice and floral, well bittered, a bit dry. really nice dipa.

m- medium, slick.

d- glad i got the chance to try this from daveonba, wouldn't have known about this - top notch, really tasty, as has everything i've tasted from FFF.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Pale golden yellow with a large white head with a small white ring that remains for the duration.

S - HUGE aroma here - mango, grapefruit, pine sap, bread, nuts.

T -Opens with a cracker presence and white bready notes. Hops explode after that with tropical citrus sweetness, then quickly turns bitter with lemon rinds, mango, grapefruit.

M - Thin, but sticks to your mouth in a way that is syrupy and quickly goes away. Carbonation is spot on - nice and effervescent.

D -This is a tasty beer, but the heavy grapefruit and lemon rind bitterness limit it's drinkability for me.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

I got this beer from alleykatking. Thanks Josh!

22oz bottle served in a tulip glass.

L - lightly hazed copper color with a white head that thinned to a layer and left a spots of lacing.

S - citrus and floral/pine aroma.

T - bitter citrus rind upfront balanced well with sweet malt although it never really gets too sweet finishing dry and bitter.

F - medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - goes down easy.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to dpuia for hosting a FFF tap night on 12/28/10!

A - Hazy golden orange body with half an inch of bubbly white head that reduced to a thin ring and patchy veil and deposited thin, stringy lacing around the glass.

S - Citrus nose, specifically grapefruit with hints of pine and catbox. Sweet caramel malt and a mild alcohol twang round out the equasion.

T - Icy, wintery IPA with piney notes and juicy citrus fruit backed by a sweet malt base, resulting in a moderately hoppy yet well-balanced DIPA.

M - Medium bodied with an oily texture and moderate hop bitterness on the palate..

D - A DIPA from FFF? Give it to me! This is like Dreadnaught Lite. Great stuff and definitely a beer to appreciate on draught.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Hazy golden-amber color, slight head of white

S: Light malts, flowery and citrus hop blast in the nose

T: Pine and grapefruit from the hops. Malt presence is lighter, but well balanced with the hops, so long as you enjoy a hoppier beer. Still a decent sweetness to it.

M: Awesome, aside from the hops, it may be the best part of the beer. Almost creamy, but not overwhelmingly heavy. This could be drank all day.

D: Again, if given a keg of this for my own, I would throw a party with my best beer nerds and we would all be thoroughly satisfied afterward, as well as blasted.

Overall, this is an absolutely great addition to the Floyds' arsenal of beers. If you have a chance certainly pick it up.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

A sixtel offering dished up by ChrisD fresh back from his holiday run to Indiana.

A-Bright, lightly hazed golden yellow with a thin white head that left spotty lace.

S-Big blast of fresh tropical fruits overlying a secondary base of sweet biscuit malt.

T-Mostly fruity up front with secondary spicy pine in support. Light malt base....this is like Dreadnaught Lite!

M-Medium-light bodied, crisp and sharp with a long lingering fruity hop profile.

D-A simply lovely light bodied DIPA. FFF are the long established masters of the hops and this beer proves to be no exception. Light malt with tropical fruit hops and sharp biting finish....just like I like them!

3.94/5  rDev -6%

Hazy, pale golden/orange with minimal head that fades fast and leaves no lacing. Very little activity.

Boozy esters with floral and citrusy hops, and little evidence of the malty bill. Maybe some faint caramel. Though it wasn't very cold when poured, it gets better the longer it sits. The 4 may be a bit generous.

Fairly sharp piny and grapefruity hop flavors and bitterness are most prominent. Malty sweetness is detectable, but no caramel flavors (BuckeyeNation would be pleased to report this in his review). Not especially complex. Not a total palate wrecker, but it's a pretty aggressively bitter hop bomb.

Smooth, almost creamy medium body. Finish is dry, and the bitterness lingers.

Think west coast IPA with a thinner feel and body (purposefully) than what you'd expect. It's a good, aggressively bitter, DIPA. But to my taste buds, it is not exceptional. In fact, it reminds me of some of my homebrew DIPA's, particularly ones that caused me to tweak my recipe to add more body and complexity.

Thank you iowahawk for providing me with the opportunity to experience this fine offering from 3F, a classic maker of the style.

3.72/5  rDev -11.2%

Arctic panzer wolf pours a hazed orange blossom honey color. The head is almost white, sudsy and leaves some nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

The nose is packed full of citrus and tropical hop notes. There is a malt backbone to this one but it's mostly hops. Damn skippy, who doesn't love a hop bomb?

Mmmm an initially tasty brew. It starts off with some sweet malts and all that hoppy goodness. Juicy fruit and citrus dominate the flavor profile but the good times are not meant to last. Soon enough an over aggressive bittness trumps all the flavors and in my opinion ruins the beer.

Bitter best describes this brew. In fact over bittered is more like it. The mouthfeel is dominated by the punchy sharpness and hoppy twang in the finish. The good news is that the bitterness doesn't survive long, eventually warm and malty sweet beats it out. The one rocky patch of over bittering isn't enough to stop me from enjoying this one.

4.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks a ton to paco1029384756.

An aggressive pour yields a light fizzy 1/2 finger head that fades at a medium pace, over hazy golden wheat orange color.

Nose is exploding with fresh hops, lots of pine and some citrus, a bit of orange peel, some musty fresh hop resins, tangerine, clementine, and hint of earth, with some light malts and sweetness underneath it all. I could smell this all day.

Taste is ripe with fresh hops again, bringing some pine, citrus again, more citrus fruits like tangerine and clementine, some orange zest, and a bit of musty hop resins. It's fairly bitter, almost intensely bitter but doesn't seem to overpower like it makes me think it well. Again behind that comes some lightly sweet malts, a nice malty base that lives way behind in the shadow of the hops. A little spicy as well, some from hops, but gets a bit of a tingly and warming booze hit. Finish dries more, and brings more bitterness that lingers for what seems like eternity, or at least until the next sip, leaving some citrus fruits, pine, and a slight sticky feel.

Mouth is a little heavier bodied, with decent carbonation and some warming tingly booze.

Drink is decent, but not great, with a bit of warming tingly booze, some sweetness which dries a bit, a slight sticky finish, and the long bitterness that is delicious but doesn't bide well for drinkability.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Light and bright. The beer is a clear glowing amber. The head is lackluster which is a bit of a let down.

S- This already smells like another awesome midwest dipa from the brewery that helped define this type of dipa. Big tropical fruit bombs, and that's how I like it. Marmalade, pineapple, mango, and cotton candy. Pine is there but is secondary to exotic fruits.

T- The snell is much better than the taste, which unfortunate. Tropical fruit is still the star but it isn't as well blended as the aroma. Copious pine and a splash of fussel alcohol get in the way. This beer is pretty damn bitter, considering how fruity it is.

M- Medium bodied with a nicely subdued carbonation. Its quite resins with a long lingering bitter finish.

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.