Arctic Panzer Wolf - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Reviews: 690 | Hads: 3,377
3.49/5  rDev -16.5%

Dreadnaught Jr.? I don't really know as I've only had Dreadnaught once. The head was pitiful after a vigorous pour and retreated quickly, hence the below avg. score on that. Nice color though, orange with gold, rather light. The aroma was nice, but not too powerful, nice fruity sweetness, a little too much wintergreen.
It tasted... good. Pine, orange, grapefruit, blah blah blah. So, right, it's a double IPA. Hints of sour fruit and minerals. Not enough malt presence; bitter just for the sake of bitter is a little obnoxious, and I'm tired of trying new hop assaults with no clear character that offer the same damn thing over and over. Not that this is a bad beer, I could (and would) session this if it was lower abv. But it wouldn't be my first choice.

Edit: Not quite there on the mouthfeel, but close. Overall, this reminds me of a dumbed down version of Moylan's Doublander and Maharaja. (898 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

Aroma here was initial quite sharply of resiny pine, but eventually opened up to have a decidedly sweet smell along with that bitterness....candied perhaps. Interesting.

Taste opens bitter....quite resiny, really. It becomes sweeter, a bit earthy with fair malt character immediately after....but ending with a more protracted bitterness on the tongue after the drink.

Among their IIPA's, I certainly prefer the Dreadnaught since it's juicier and more fruit centered in its hop selection...but this one certainly isn't bad. (526 characters)

Bomber into a Long trail Pint glass

A: Its got that golden honey IPA color but I am surprised by how translucent it is while being an imperial IPA I usually find them to be more cloudy. There is also a 2cm white head that disputes fairly quickly

S: lots of tropical fruit I seem to get a similar melony smell that is precent in other FFF IPAs. There is also a smell of pine after tasting it i feel i can almost smell the bitterness

T: Well the hops that sure do hit with force in the taste the bitterness is almost overpowering (seems like a palate wrecker for sure). Despite the bitterness up front there is a solid malt backbone that stays for a while with the bitterness. I was disappointed at the lack of citrus melony flavor that I thought would come after the smell i can't taste it at all. There is piney resiny type taste but it just adds to the power of the bitterness

M: I was surprised by how thick it felt despite its light color it is oily though. I also can feel the carbonation as I drink, more so then other IPAs i feel.

O: I have to say I was disappointed by this one its not bad but the bitterness is just too overwhelming to me, there seems to be no effort of balance just a bitter hop attack. I was expecting something more fruity after trying ZD but who knows it could be me (usually i like a lot of hops) wasn't bad by any means though. I really wanted to like this one I just can't. (1,411 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours cloudy golden/light orange with a small quickly receding head. Aroma of lemon, grapefruit, tangerines. Definitely strong, with slick mouthfeel. Not sure how fresh the bottle is (no date), but not much punch in terms of bitter hops. A bit of tangerine and apricot, with a lingering grapefruit tartness. Not super impressed here, but not a bad beer. Something about this style of IPA just doesn't do it for me. The bitter dryness cuts into the juicy citrus in a way that I don't dig. Also gave me a headache for some reason, so maybe that was taking away from things. (571 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours hazy dark yellow with a dense creamy head; leaving globs of sticky lacing as it dissipates.

Aroma is bready caramel malt up front. Then a strong citrus character takes over - plenty of apricot and peach. Then a musty, yeasty spice appears in the finish.

Taste is similar to the nose. Bready malt overshadowed by citrus hop. More of the musty spice quality in the finish, along with a little alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a little syrupy.

Overall a messy DIPA. The hops don't shine through the malty yeast quality. (535 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A- Hazy deep golden with a 1 finger white head. Unfiltered look is so inviting.

S- Lemon, orange zest, slight vegatation. Candied pale malt body. Moderate aromatics

T and M- Chewy almost. Chalky and sweet. Reminds me some of Two Hearted. Slightly dry, but no cringe bitterness. Body much to heavy for the style. Kills the drinkability.

O- okay. Not the best effort from FFF (377 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Apricot colored, with a head slightly shy of 1 finger. Little retention or lacing. First pour from the bomber has good clarity, the second is full of fine floaties.

S: Mango, pineapple, mild citrus. Relatively restrained for the style.

T: Quite fruity, dominated by tropical flavors. Somewhat sweet, but with very little malt character.

M: Fairly dry, with medium-high carbonation. Slightly sticky, bitter finish.

O: Good, but definitely short of great in nearly all areas. (480 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

enelson hooked this up along with some very sought after brews... Thanks Edward!! Shared with inflatablechair.

Pours hazy sorty marmalade color.. great lacing and a big foamy white head..

Nose is very fruity.. and dry? plenty of citrus zest and some minor melon.. pungent hoppiness... no malts to speak of.

Flavor begins very (way too) bitter... really dry throughout.. resinous citrus and pine toward the finish.. again this one is very very dry for such a bigboned DIPA... the lack of any malt profile actually make me think this one is pretty flimsy and too one dimensional.. white pith grapefruit.. the body is good, but the EtOH just strips the flavors off the palate.... very abrasive and unforgiving..

Too unidimensional for me.. the bitterness and hop resins cake my teeth without any direction.. not everything needs to be a hop bomb.. and this one needs to be dialed in.

Thanks again to Ed.. but wow!! I really thought I was gonna like this one given FFF's IPA record, but it is too sharp and not even remotely balanced.

4/3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5 (1,056 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

No bottled on date, so....I shall assume this is fresh.

A - Pretty good look - a bright golden straw body, substantial white head.

S - some alcohol, some pine, some citrus. Not too intense, not too specific, and surprisingly boozy.

T - Light tropical fruits, a bit of dry grass. But again, for a DIPA, this lacks intensity.

M - a touch drying, pretty smooth, nice medium-full body.

O - this is not that good. I think Dreadnaught is super good, but this is just pretty mediocre. Feels good, looks good, but the taste really doesnt do too much for ya. (554 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

The color is a bright bronze and copper color. Great head and awesome retention. Nice Brussel's lacing and sluggish, yet full bubbling.

What an orange zest and lemon peel aroma. I maybe notice some very delicate biscuit powder aroma. This beer smells of huge hop bomb.

Lots of bitter hop flavors from start to finish. The alcohol adds another layer of bitterness to this citric zest eruption. I noticed some bitter, tropical fruit flavors, maybe some crushed flower juice. This is a hot bitter bomb that can only be sipped. (526 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden orange with a one finger head that lingers leaving great lacing. Aromas of sweet malts and bitter hops. Taste follows the nose but it's a bit to sweet for a dipa in my opinion. Not the easiest drinking dipa and not in the top of this style. Still not a bad beer it's just not for me (302 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -15.3%

First of all, I feel the need to mention that I am puzzled that this beer does not show up on the Three Floyd's website, not even in the seasonal beer section. I just can't find it on their website at all. Is it about to be retired, I wonder? Moving on...

Label art is different on my bomber from the picture above on this website, it shows an up-close image of the face of a snarling wolf with blood red eyes.

Pours out flattish, weak carbonation, no lacing or head at all. This sort of thing is why I really wish 3Fs would date stamp their product. Getting brutally aggressive with pouring I can manage to generate a brief fizzy 1 finger white colored head that sputters out almost immediately, but that's the best I can get out of it. The color is a hazy opaque deep golden yellow, with some small pinhead flecks of sediment swirling about.

The scent is lemony fresh accents over a solid wall of grapefruit peel, very slight notes of pine pop up from time to time but they are scarce. The malt scent is unusually lighter than the typical IPA malt, this nose tells you that the brew is going to be a hop bomb in no uncertain terms before you even take a sip. I'm not, however, detecting the pineapple notes that everybody else is talking about. And I am most definitely not receiving the mango and other tropical fruits that are the signature stamp of the amazing Dreadnaught.

The flavor has a brief moment of Simcoe 'onion-ey-ness' before transforming straight into pine needley hop bomb accompanied by a fleeting light biscuit malt sweetness that fades out into a nice long dryer finish powered by hop oil and a minor dose of alcoholic booziness.

Body is on the thicker side of medium strength, but my carbonation is sorely lacking, which causes the hop oils to just lay there on my tongue like a dead trout on the riverbank. My tongue feels...slimy and gross after each sip.

This bottle gives the indication of not being the freshest it could be. Perhaps if consumed fresher I would have experienced an excellent carbonation, head, body, and the tropical fruits and pineapple that other BAs have mentioned. And if I ever do experience that in a fresher bottle, I shall have to come back and redo this review. But as it stands, my bomber was merely a slightly better-than-average IPA which could have been absolutely amazing but fell short from lack of the factors mentioned above. (2,392 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

Thanks to nickd717 for sharing this one.

Pale gold, unusually pale for a DIPA and slightly hazy, with a small head that sustains well.

Sweet candied grapefruit and Christmas tree aroma. Pretty malty, but the sweetness is supported by a fairly nice hop aroma.

Huge pine flavor, this beer is like drinking Christmas. There's some grapefruit and ample caramel sweetness. Too much sweetness, in fact. The body is substantial, surprisingly so given the appearance. It finishes bittersweet with big pine and caramel flavors. Decent, but it drinks a bit sweet and heavy for my palate. (580 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

22 oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

Beer pours a hazy light orange color with a thin white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving some soapy lace on the side of the glass. Smell is floral and sweet citrus hops with a bit of a bready/chalky smell on the backbone...more malt than I expected in the smell and almost smells like a lemon scone. The taste is a big smack of bitterness upfront that is very dry and mineral-like in taste. I pick up a slight medicinal quality before I get light malt and another smack of hop bitterness. Not much else in the taste but straight bittering hops. Finishes relatively heavy and warms as it goes down. Not very drinkable due to the huge bitterness. I think this is what they were going for, but only the most serious hopheads need apply. One of the lesser 3 Floyds IPAs in my opinion. Would take Dreadnaught every time over this. (874 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

Served into a pint glass at Sheffield's

Appearance is slightly hazy with a golden orange color and nice white head which fully dissipates.

The nose is total grapefruit with some mild lychee fruit hints as well.

Wow, is there grapefruit extract in there? I'm getting so much of it, and not much else. The hops are intense, and the finish is quite bitter.

Had this been served to me in a tulip instead of a pint glass, it may have served the beer better. As it was, one beer was more than enough for me.

Overall, I think this is a wet dream for some hop heads, but to me, it's a bit out of whack. Makes me appreciate Pliny that much more! (641 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: Dark orange near the head and lighter yellow at the bottom. Foamy, bubbly head.

S: Smells like citrusy hops, mostly orange peel, but not overwhelmingly pungent.

T: Floral and orange in taste. Hops and alcohol are not overbearing, but definitely noticeable. Very similar to smell.

M: Medium body that leaves sticky feeling in mouth after each sip.

O: Very drinkable and tasty, but not my favorite from FFF. I prefer the Dreadnaught for its more unique citrus flavors, but this is still a good DIPA. (547 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

22oz bottle thanks to funhog into a tulip glass

Old label Version No Date

A- Pours a super cloudy light orange yellow that looks like orange juice and 1 finger worth of bright white head on top. Slow carbonation creaping up from the bottom.

S- Fruity spicy hops that seem very faded, strong caramel sweet malts come through mostly. Definitely some alcohol in there.

T- Definitely an older bottle, tons of sweet malts and breadiness with hints spicy fruity hops and citrus. Still get the overall hop profile and it's really nice.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice bitter finish.

Overall I probably shouldn't be reviewing such an old bottle but I figure it will let people know it doesn't age with the best of them. Hell no Ipa's do.

SkÅL! (770 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Much thanks to RocPorterFanatic for this in the Chillin and Grillin BIF. 22oz into a NB Globe.

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a thin wispy white head that foams up to about a half inch, then quickly disappears. No lacing to speak of.

S: Not bad, some decent hops in here. Citrus and pine, with a bit of caramel malt. Pretty grainy as well. No booze, even for a 9% beer. Pretty nice, but nothing overly impressive.

T: A lot of the same from the nose, some piney hops and a strong bitterness on the finish. Nice little bit of caramel. Would like a little more of a hoppy flavor though. Lots of hop resins in here that coat and linger on the tongue for a long time. Pretty tasty stuff, but not overly impressive. Just a touch of booze.

M: Lighter body, dry finish, a bit of alcohol warmth in the finish. Medium carbonation. Finishes just right.

O: Not a bad beer at all, pretty nice drop for a Friday evening, it just doesn't stack up with some of my other favorites. I really like the amount of resins in this that will not leave the tongue, very awesome. I just would like a little bit more in the nose, and a bit more hop flavor to really make it pop. (1,163 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From Notes, bomber poured into a pint glass.

This pours a hazy dank orange peel color, with a thin foamy head that exposes a nice amount of webbed lacing. Smells unlike most IPAs but expecting Three Floyds to stick to the norm isn’t why I love their stuff. The nose has strong peach aromas with tangy orange marmalade and hints of resinous pine. It’s pine that greets your tongue that also includes an arsenal of bitter hops, citrus and floral elements that round off a very interesting flavor. It has a really nice full body, but goes down sharply, very astringent that leaves a tingling of alcohol buzz.

Overall: Harsh. Harsh, and harsher again. It's brutal, it takes no prisoners and is an absolutely palate wrecker. An interesting experiment, but hardly a good DIPA. (776 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -12.9%

On tap @ Lunar

A- slightly hazy golden with no head and no lacing

S- citrus and pine hop. Not much else

T- same as nose, but with the slightest malt sweetness

M- medium body w/ nice carbonation

D- 9oz pour is enough. great beer, but pretty unbalanced (255 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks to Jim for this one.

A: Pours a very hazy orange color with a one finger white head on top. Decent retention, with the head fading to a thin layer of white on top. Thin, but sticky lacing coats the walls.

S: Some tropical fruits, mostly pineapple, oranges, tangerine, and some citrus zest. There is some graham cracker malt to balance things a bit, even though the hops dominate.

T: Somewhat sweet from the citrus fruits, mostly orange and orange zest on the flavor profile. There is a bit of pine in the midpalate, which transitions to a bit of caramel malt. Finishes slightly bittersweet.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

O: Not a bad DIPA, but I prefer the others from FFF I think. This one doesn't wow me as much as they do. (776 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Looks like grapefruit juice mixed with a touch of orange juice. Kind of a light apricot color. The head is there briefly, but doesn't have a lot of retention, leaving almost no lacing.

Smell is of citrus fruits with a hint of pine.

This is clearly an imperial IPA because the hoppy bitter is so strong is masks just about everything else. After a few sips I got the feeling back in my tongue and was able to pick up very subtle notes of apricot and some earthy pine flavors.

It's strong, but you kind of expect that from an IIPA that isn't shy about being bold. It's bitter from start to finish and the drink warming does little to calm the punch in the gut you get with each sip. There's almost an acidity from the citrus, but it's short-lived and again, the hoppy bitter takes over. Has a dry finish with remnants of citrus taste.

A bit strong for my liking. I know that's the style, but this is aggressive. Having said that, this beer never claims to be anything but palate-crushing, so it's something you've got to try. (1,028 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

22 ounce bottle, I have no idea how fresh this is. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a slightly cloudy golden/amber color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is citrusy (grapefruit, apricots, orange peel) and pine hops. Flavor is mainly bitter hops. Both the citrusy and pine flavors are noticable, but initially the bitterness is strong and lingers around for a while before it eases up. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick with decent carbonation. I think this is a solid brew, but given a choice I'd much rather have Dreadnaught instead. (595 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Arctic Panzer on tap at a certain bar in Midtown Manhattan, $4 during happy hour.

Appearance: Eight ounces of the Panzer, glass filled all the way up and about to overflow. Almost no head, just a light mantle that dies soon and some bubbles. Decent lacing but not much retention otherwise. Kind of reminds me of the Hair of the Dog Blue Dot I had at the same bar the other day, with that dirty-yellow, urine-sample-like color you don't expect to see in a Double IPA.

Smell: Very citrusy, with a tad of syrupy sweetness on the back and biscuit-y malts at the end, plus some Belgian-like yeast. Orange juice, grass, fresh-mowed lawn. Some tropics.

Taste: One sip and I feel like I've had this beer 1,000 times before. Pine, resin, cleaning product. Bitterness on the back, tangy-hoppy finish. I get a lot of fresh-squeezed orange flavor all over, plus astringent lemon juice that makes this beer feel like gnawing straight on some green pomelo rind. Ouch!

Mouthfeel: Well rounded, with full body and flavor and medium carbonation. Prickly bitter finish that lingers. Probably the best aspect of this beer.

Overall: Super drinkable, but undistinguished and one-dimensional. This tastes like a myriad other American IPA's. All bitterness and citrus, no balance or excitement. (1,279 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a bottle into an over-sized Green Man snifter. No dating on bottle or label.

A - Pours a hazy golden orange color with a nice two finger creamy white head. Good carbonation and nice lacing throughout the glass.

S - Citrus notes up front. Some piney resin, grass and earthy notes in there too.

T - Pine notes seem to dominate from the start. Some lemon and grapefruit are present with a nice, malty backbone on the finish.

M - Medium bodied, med-high carbonation. A nice piney-resin coasts the tongue.

O - Overall, pretty solid. This one didn't blow me away, I would have preferred a better balance with a little less alcohol. (644 characters)

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.