2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arctic Panzer Wolf - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

A massive IPA that will leave your palate it’s hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

(Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,516 | Reviews: 645 | Show All Ratings:
Qwest_35

4.96/5  rDev +16.7%

This is my first APW, thanks to mpayne5! Wow! I am loving this stuff! It feels like the wolf on the label just bit my face off. This stuff is not for beginners! A true citrus-hop bomb indeed. Pours a hazy orange-copper, with a thin creamy head that dissipates fairly quickly which is fine with me. Where do I start with the aroma? The only way I can describe it, is like freshly sliced fruit salad sitting on a bed of pine needles. I gotta say, this is one of the best smelling DIPA's I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. To say this beer is a hop-bomb is an understatement! Big hop's way up front, yet sweet and malty on the finish, and it tickles my nose like champagne. I can't say enough good things about this beer, If you see it, get it! If you don't get it in your area, trade! I know I am gonna, again!

04-05-2013 22:04:32 | More by Qwest_35
dwaz

3.68/5  rDev -13.4%

Thanks to Whitemomba; poured from bomber.

A - pours nice cloudless straw color with small white head

S - subtle floral, piney aroma but really subdued; couldn't pick up any aromas of marmelade, white wine, or apricots mentioned on the label

M - Good carbonation, light feel in mouth

Taste - So crisp upon my first couple sips that I felt like I was drinking a pilsner; really subtle floral and grapefruit flavor up front with more bitterness on the back end; as the beer warms bitterness increases on the back end with alcohol flavor

Overall - this is a really fresh bottle(new label just released the last 2 weeks),so I was suprised how subtle the hops tasted and smelt and how much alcohol I could pick up. I was expecting more but defintiely not a bad double IPA by any means. Just a little too subdued for me.

06-16-2011 01:29:04 | More by dwaz
Weebay

Ontario (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

I has this both on tap at 3F and from a growler to go.

A: yellow/orange good clarity, inch of white head, good lacing.

N: grapefruit and tangerine, excellent nose.

T: strong citrus hops, sweet malt finish.

M: doesn't feel sticky, the appropriate amount of carbonation.

O: An excellent beer, you can't taste the ABV at all, one of the mainstay beers that makes 3F so great.

02-13-2012 16:23:35 | More by Weebay
Betmore

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

*poured from a bomber into a 16 oz. pint glass*

This monster poured a hazy shade of amber. There was a two-finger head that lingered for at least a couple of minutes and left ample lacing upon its demise.

Hops hit my nose as soon as I cracked the lid on this one. After the pour, I'm getting full-on fruit hops; grapefruit, sweet peach, orange rind, and pineapple. All of these swirl around with hints of pine and just enough malt to barely detect. This is the classic American Hop-Bomb aroma. If the smell is any indication of the flavor, this one is going to be full bore hop assault on my palate and thats just fine with me.

Hmmm... The malt comes through in the flavor far more than in the aroma, although thats really not saying much. Light sweet malts are the first thing to hit my tongue but they instantaneously give way to hoards of hops. Where many of the DIPAs and IIPAs I've had lend themselves to specific hop characteristics (i.e. citrus or pine), this one uses them both and in equally massive quantities. Big bitter hop presence is the name of this game. Complexity obviously wasn't the goal here. While I could sit here and say a little more malt balance would have been nice, that would mean we'd be reviewing Dreadnaught.

Mouthfeel for this brew was good. It has enough body to not be watery while staying fluid enough to not be oily or syrupy. Carbonation was present throughout tasting which lent a nice sizzle sensation.

Drinkability? Well, I had no problem drinking an entire bomber. Two bombers would probably be stretching it. Your mileage may vary. It is 9%, though, so watch yourself.

This is a very good brew, but just misses the mark of being in the same league as the best big IPAs I've had.

11-27-2010 03:44:33 | More by Betmore
jordanblaskey

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a tulip.

A:
Pours an extremely cloudy golden copper. A bubbly one finger head slowly drops to half a finger.

S:
From the moment you crack the seal of the cap on this bottle, Panzer Wolf permeates the room with it's dripping fangs. As with every other FFF brew, this smells amazing. Pine, citrus, grapefruit, slight malt dominate the nose. Nothing out of line with this DIPA.

T:
The initial bitter bite at the beginning of the mouth on this beer is fantastic. A moving truck full of hops slides into second after said bitterness recedes. It finishes off nicely with pine and citrus.

M:
A little lighter than other DIPA's I've had. Not necessarily bad, just a departure from the norm. Finishes hop-dry in your mouth.

O:
Three Floyds never fails to impress. APW is extremely clean, well-rounded and refreshing. It's simple yet effective. A very solid attempt at the style.

04-23-2012 21:06:29 | More by jordanblaskey
RyWill

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at Local Option, poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow/orange with a 1-2 finger sticky, frothy slightly off white head. Original head only sticks around for a bit but leaves lacing all the way down the glass.

Smell: Intense hops and citrus. Not really any other way to describe it. It's a delicious combo of grapefruit and piney hops. The alcohol isn't too evident at all.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Not as bitter as expected. Some caramel that didn't come across to me as much in the smell balances the massive hops well. Add in the citrus and you have an amazingly smooth beer for the style. It certainly leaves a bitter taste in your mouth, but it doesn't stay with you as long as some other DIPAs. Mouthfeel is super chewy, creamy, medium bodied with not too much carbonation

Drinkability: I ordered this off the board at Local Option having no idea what the ABV was and if someone had told me 9% I would have been blown away. Incredibly drinkable for the amount of alcohol. A telling sign is that my girlfriend, who usually has a tougher time with high ABV, super bitter DIPAs, had one and loved it. It wouldn't be hard at all to get through a few of these.

Amazing stuff. So amped to have had the chance to try it and might just have to head back to Local Option tonight to get some more.

09-27-2009 18:02:20 | More by RyWill
pacond

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

I had this bomber from the UPS man! Fits right in with all the other 3floyds IPA's. The clarity of the beer is boss as well as the color, aroma. Hoppy dry finish, not too boozy, nothing that is gating on my palate. If anything this beer has the potential to be very fruity ,citrusy and tropical.

I would love to get super fresh to sample for comparison. I didn't pay for this beer, and I bet it was a nice chunk of change...

03-16-2011 21:49:27 | More by pacond
JAZwara

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Actually had this on tap at 3Floyds brewery and bought a bomber to take home. I didn't try Dreadnaught, but my understanding is thats a significantly different DIPA.

Panzer Wolf is almost all hops. Powerfully strong hop profile thats nearly all grapefruit, reminds me of Avery Maharaja. Very bitter, but also fairly sweet and crisp. A slight malt profile, though the malt is mostly outweighed by a hit of alcohol.

Surprisingly drinkable, the sweetness is just enough to balance out the bitterness. One of my new favorite DIPAs, though it'll be tough to find it down the road.

03-09-2011 03:09:59 | More by JAZwara
z3niMAGiNE

Arizona

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Another great IPA from 3floyds.

Pours a translucent pale orange with only slight haze in the glass. The beer is aggresively carbonated with bubbles almost fighting their way from the bottom of my Sam Adams glass to the head of the beer which is very fizzy and produces little to no lacing.

Taste and smell is somewhat similar to other 3Floyds IPAs with huge citrus notes and floral notes along with some spicy herbs and fresh cut grass.

Feels very alive in my mouth from the carbonation and a sticky resinous bitterness is left in my mouth for a long while after a drink.

Overall this beer is top notch. Although not my favorite, I'd gladly revisit this anytime an opportunity arises.

03-25-2011 03:09:43 | More by z3niMAGiNE
MarkVegas

Nevada

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pours a golden amber color with wonderful clarity. Not too much head, but lacing drags along the walls of the glass as i take sips.

S: A great hop aroma dances around as I test the aroma of the beer. Get some stone fruit, piney forest and even some tropical fruit. Wonderfully inviting. Some maltiness in the too. Well rounded aroma that is for sure.

T: WOW, the epitome of a BIG beer. Definitely the hop comes through right away. The kind of malt that makes you remember why you drink beer, so good. Malty caramel and almost a molasses to follow. Hate to repeat but well rounded again.

M: Oh man just as smooth as I could imagine and want. Something about this brew yells drink more of me, I oblige.

O: Okay I'll admit it, I may be gushing over this beer a bit as i do from time to time. Maybe it's the fact that I only review beers that knock my socks off. Overall a great well rounded beer that once again I am saddened that I can't get on the shelves here in Vegas.

09-06-2011 03:51:42 | More by MarkVegas
MidnightWatch

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured from a bomber. Clear, orange amber color, small head that laces the edge of the glass. Very little lacing as I progressed through the beer.

S - Orange, lemony characters. Not as strong as I thought it would be, still pleasant.

T - Malts first and then hoppy attack. Grapefruit citrus.

M - Three Floyds said this would ruin you're palate, and as far as I'm concerned it pretty much does. The aftertaste is definitely a force to be had. This isn't a bad thing, especially if you're drinking just a bomber for the night.

O - I would love to compare this with Dreadnaught blindly and see if I can distinguish them apart. Both are solid beers, that have very similar abv, and according to the website the IBU for both are 100.

09-25-2011 03:26:04 | More by MidnightWatch
willyc

South Carolina

2.78/5  rDev -34.6%

Alright, this was one of the few three floyds that I thought were just ok. I like strong IPA's but this did not rise up to other breweries standards, and I was jacked to try the Wolf. Heavy but not tastey hops and a little worse after taste. I will say that this beer was seven weeks old and travel several hundred miles via honda CRV to get to me. So I will try again. Good Day.

06-22-2011 00:41:31 | More by willyc
bvdubn

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to BFro (Ben) for sending me this along with the Zombie Dust.

I poured the cellar temperature bomber into my Dogfish Head snifter. The beer was orage with white head and solid lacing.

Initially all I could smell was hops but after a few minutes in the glass the white wine and apricot came through. Towards the end the white wine, hops and fusel alcohol really came through.

Heavy citrus and hop taste. The white wine and alcohol really come through in the taste as it warms and the hops blend into the other flavors.

Good carbonation and mouth feel.

I think this beer very much deserves its rating on this website. It is a very good IIPA but since this is my favorite beer category it doesn't come close to the best.

04-12-2012 03:13:42 | More by bvdubn
DaveonBA

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A rather pale golden color. Slightly hazy. Thin white head with little lacing.

Smell: Excellent. Juicy citrus. You can tell this has a big dose of hops. Just the way a DIPA should smell.

Taste: Very much on the citrus side of hoppy. The main fruit that comes to my mind is a clementine orange. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, perfectly carbonated.

Drinkability: Excellent. Every sip leaves me excited for the next.

Overall this is a fantastic DIPA. It doesn't have the most unique flavor, but what it does it does very well. Highly recommended for any fan of the style.

06-26-2010 08:58:13 | More by DaveonBA
sportscrazed2

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Dark Orange/Reddish with a nice mild head that sticks around
Smell: Grapefruit and orange dominant aromas. Typical of a DIPA
Taste: Definite grapefruit taste there. Maybe a little bit of a peach flavor. Very bitter but what are you expecting from a double ipa from three floyds?
Mouthfeel: Tart kind of makes your mouth pucker
Overall: A good beer for sure but i've been drinking a lot of this style lately. It is neither my favorite nor my least favorite that I've had lately. Very hoppy even for three floyds. Glad I gave it a chance. Will I drink it again? Maybe if I go to the pub and they don't have zombie dust in.

01-25-2012 01:00:36 | More by sportscrazed2
Gerasimos

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bomber brought back from Indiana. Enjoyed in a La Fin du Monde tulip.

Appears - cloudy yellow and tangerine; fluffy near two fingers head clings for ages

Smells - huge hops; citrus; biscuit funk; call it hints of earthy apricot

Tastes - of two distinct levels; huge hops and citrus foundation with accents on top of the malty biscuit fuzz; segue is an elegant syrupy sweetness; spikes of hops throughout and standing on the palate afterwards; some alcohol sharpness for kicks

Mouthfeels - clean but full-bodied; the fluffy head a whipped meringue delight; gushing, palate coating

Overalls - get it; drink it; savor it; repeat process as needed; a double fisted hopslam to the palate but beautiful like a delicate flower; any Imperial IPA lover should love this beer

10-14-2012 22:53:55 | More by Gerasimos
Whiskeydeez

Kansas

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber poured into a Tulip glass.

A- This pours a cloudy orange with a one inch white head that reduces down relatively quickly.

S- This has really nice citrus and tropical fruit hop smell. Very sweet malty, orange with hints of pine. It may be from trade transport but I wasn't getting a really potent aroma but it was still very nice.

T- The taste is nice and smooth. A little bitterness upfront but doesn't really come out until the finish and then it lingers nicely. The flavor is a nice balance of malt some caramel, citrus and pine resin. Its not overpowering in any direction, good balance. Alcohol isn't noticeable, it has a nice presence with some warming.

M- Has a nice thick, coating mouth feel. Lightly carbonated, just enough to hold up the thicker body. A little oily feel.

O- This was my first three floyds and I can't wait to trade for some more. This is a outstanding IIPA. Great balance of flavors. It has the bitterness for the hopheads but I think would go over really well with people that dont usually drink big IPAs. Good stuff.

06-22-2013 01:40:11 | More by Whiskeydeez
hurricanelars

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Light golden-orange color that is slightly hazy. 1/2 inch solid white head that slowly settles into a thin ring around the glass.

Smell is all hops and excellent. Lots of grapefruit, orange, and even some piney notes. Very fruity and sweet aroma that is quite pleasent.

Taste is bitter up front and then punches you with a grapefruit explosion on the tongue. There is a sweetness to the beer that balances the bitterness and grapefruit of the hops and gives a superb flavor to the beer.

Feels very refreshing and crisp in the mouth. Finishes clean and makes me thirsty for more.

You can definitely tell there is more kick in this beer than you average brew. 2 or 3 bombers of this would make for a great night of drinking. It's a shame this is only availbe for a short period of time each year. Better enjoy it while you can find it.

06-15-2010 19:07:04 | More by hurricanelars
Lintyfresh

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a hazy yellow with a small head.

Smell is huge on hops, from citrus to grapefruit to piney. The taste follows along with the smell, and is more bitter than anything I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is fine, the medium body feels pretty light for the flavor, but it works.

The bitterness makes this a sipper, but a bomber isn't hard to finish.

11-09-2010 05:41:19 | More by Lintyfresh
poibag808

Hawaii

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Nice deep orange with about 1 finger white head. Head dissipated quickly.

S: lots of sweet orange and grapefruit/sweet fruits.

T: you get sweet citrus, similar to orange juice upfront. Some really sweet maltiness followed with a lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue.

good beer way more balanced then I expected it to be. Great beer.

12-02-2011 09:13:02 | More by poibag808
jlpepper13

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a snifter

A: Dark orange with large bubbles of carbonation surrounded by smaller beads. As larger bubbles pops it leaves a depression in the middle of the glass. Little to no lace present.

S: Slight pine and plenty of citrus! Tangerine and blood orange come to mind with each inhale.

T: Lots of bright fruityness. Tangerine and lemon are the biggest flavors that lingers for a bit but keeps the drink refreshing and without too much dryness. There is some slight bitterness in the back palate that tends to soften then dissipates all together soon after drinking.

M: relatively thin bodied with light carbonation. A tad bit dry but doesn't hold up to all the citrus present.

O: Probably my favorite Imperial IPA. fruity but not too sweet, dry but not too bitter. Perfect balance. Hard to believe that they didn't throw fruit right into the fermenter. It's just has so much delicious citrus.

01-05-2012 00:47:37 | More by jlpepper13
sbennett22

3.58/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: Dark orange near the head and lighter yellow at the bottom. Foamy, bubbly head.

S: Smells like citrusy hops, mostly orange peel, but not overwhelmingly pungent.

T: Floral and orange in taste. Hops and alcohol are not overbearing, but definitely noticeable. Very similar to smell.

M: Medium body that leaves sticky feeling in mouth after each sip.

O: Very drinkable and tasty, but not my favorite from FFF. I prefer the Dreadnaught for its more unique citrus flavors, but this is still a good DIPA.

05-11-2011 18:24:31 | More by sbennett22
jault52

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Have had this a bunch of times but just got a very fresh bottle so wanted to review it, even if I'm a lousy reviewer in terms of describing details.

Poured into a tulip. Nice hazy orange with thin head and barely any lacing.

The smell of this beer, especially fresh, is second to none. Strong citrus. I want to walk around with this on my nose all day.

Tastes just like it smells, amazing. Full of citrus hops with a surprisingly smooth sweet finish.

This is one of my all time favorite's. I will say that sometimes this beer can be a bit much, but most of the time it goes down super smooth. For obvious reasons it's always compared against Dreadnaught, but for me when my store has both, I always grab this one first, and then I grab a Dreadnaught too.

03-05-2011 04:06:08 | More by jault52
tbrink

South Dakota

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

good lord this beer knocked my socks off. I will gladly punch your grandmother for more.

appearance: clear straw color with thick head.
nose: punch in the face with fruity, citrusy hops
mouthfeel: very quaffable, goes down a little too smoothly
taste: initial malty backbone gives way to hoppy bouquet as soon as it passes your epiglottis.

100 IBUs? how can this go down so smoothly?

07-21-2011 03:16:10 | More by tbrink
jacksonattack

Iowa

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into La Chouffe tulip.

About a two finger head, pretty hazy and a deep golden-orange hue. You can see plenty of carbonation. Nose has lots of American hops up front, but some really interesting light citrus, rich fruit (think apricot or peach) and even cream notes in the back. Goes down really smoothly for such a heavily hopped beer; the hops attack the tastebuds on your cheek, but bread and toffee flavors dominate the middle. Medium mouthfeel. Definitely like this one, maybe more than Maharaja.

10-09-2011 01:37:24 | More by jacksonattack