Hell's Black Intelligencer - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Hell's Black IntelligencerHell's Black Intelligencer

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.00% ABV

An oatmeal stout brewed with Intelligentsia coffee. "Richard yet lives, Hell's Black Intelligencer" - Queen Margaret, Richard III

(Beer added by: AleWatcher on 10-25-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
sbricker

11-14-2011 15:05:46 | More by sbricker
CummingsK21

04-29-2012 22:59:07 | More by CummingsK21
lookitsmp

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Had on tap at Three Floyds Brew Pub on 5/1/12

I had been wanting to try this beer for a long time now and it did not disappoint.

Appearance: Poured a black, dark coffee-like color with some dark brown to red tones on the edges where the light hits. This beer looks like a cup of black coffee, and I mean black. Very nice looking beer. Even the consistency looks like coffee.

Smell: When I smelled this beer, I turned to my friend and just let out a blissful sigh. This is one of the best smelling stouts I've ever had the pleasure of inhaling. HUGE (the all caps is an understatement) coffee. Not just your ho-hum folgers either. This beer smells like great coffee. While you can mostly detect the awesome roasty coffee notes, there is a faint sweetness hanging out on the sidelines.

Taste: I can die happy. (again...) HUGE coffee notes. Roasty, bitter, with a touch of sweetness. Then comes the dark chocolate, that sweetness I smelled in the background. The coffee and dark chocolate create a perfect medley of roasty, bitter, and sweet flavors that had me smiling the whole time. This beer made my day.

Mouthfeel: If there's one thing I can knock this beer on is the mouthfeel. It felt a little thin. Not in a bad way, though. In comparison to other oatmeal stouts it could be said that it is light bodied. However I think that adds to the experience and enhances the coffee flavors. It's sort of thin and very smooth...like coffee.

Overall: This beer had me smiling the whole time I was drinking it. It has a place in my top 10 beer list now. I hope that Floyds ends up bottling and distributing this soon because it is hands down one of their better beers (and that's saying a lot!). If you can get to the pub, if you like coffee, or are in the mood to try something different and new you have to get this beer.

05-05-2012 02:27:45 | More by lookitsmp
TapeDeck

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer can not be stopped!

Even in a disposable solo cup, it's perfect. This is the standard by which all breakfast stouts should be judged. Oatie, bitter, massive coffee kick in the face... It's not sweet at all.

The beer has a tan foamy head with continued lacing as long as you allow it to exist in your delivery vessel.

Totally black and opaque. If this were bottled, it would be the every day beer during Bears season.

Pairs really well with loud music and a desire to be left alone for some pensive beer snob moments!

03-25-2012 19:33:53 | More by TapeDeck
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from growler to glass, pitch black nice one finger mocha head faded down to a film and ring around the edge of the glass. Left decent lacing.
Smells like a fresh cup of dark roasted coffee, would expect no less.
Tastes like a cup of coffee, I'm thinking I may need to pick up some of the coffee from Intellegencia or whatever it is. Pick up a nice herbal/medicinal hoppiness that fits perfectly... Hmmm maybe float a couple hop cones in the morning joe..
Mouthfeel is medium to start but finishes light perfectly suits the brew
Drinkability damn... a 1/2 gallon won't just cut it, especially since my girlfriend (who is in no way a craft drinker) keeps taking my glass and trying to play keep away... I'll share
She was intrigued enough to ask where the brewery was so she could get more... I think when we make it to Chicago at some point we'll make a detour...

11-13-2010 03:23:32 | More by sliverX
EORS

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

3 Floyds event at my local pub, had no clue what this beer was (or even what it was really called as the name was scrawled on a chalkboard) when I tried it. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Opaque with a half inch head the color of mocha. Head dissipates fairly quickly but leaves lacing down the glass. Not a ton of carbonation visible.

Smell: Hints of the great stuff to come. Coffee and chocolate hit the nose first, followed up by a generous amount of roasty malt. Finally, there's a vanillalike sweetness to this beer that comes through in the aroma.

Taste: All of the above, plus more. Lovely rich malt body with more of that lactose-like sweetness from the oats. Leaves hints of coffee and roast malt in the mouth. Barely a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: a real treat - smooth, full-bodied and creamy when the carbonation is up, retained the smoothness as the beer sat, but the moderate carbonation really adds an extra feeling of thickness that makes the beer really enjoyable.

Overall: A very very pleasant surprise, and one to be savored if you can find it. I'd wanted to try a dark beer (not Robert the Bruce) from 3 Floyds for some time, since most of what we get here is gumballhead and pride and joy. Lived up to anything I could have expected from it.

05-13-2011 01:37:45 | More by EORS
abrand

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap poured into a plastic cup.

Very dark pour with no visibility. A nice 1 finger head leaves some lacing. Smells is so rich with coffee. Very pleasant smelling. Some grains are also noted. Taste is again full of coffee. I loved this taste. Not much else really going on. Subtle notes of chocolate. Mouthfeel is somewhat full and well carbonated. Overall I loved this. So much coffee. Amazing.

07-13-2012 01:41:21 | More by abrand
beerhan

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

I drink lots and lots of black coffee. This beer is more or less just coffee. It smells like coffee and tastes like it but goes down even smoother. No need to get into the details except that it is jet black, lightly carbonated and incredibly drinkable. Really wish they would bottle this and send it to ohio.

12-16-2010 03:56:44 | More by beerhan
Betmore

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

*poured from a growler into a pint glass*

Hell's Black Intelligencer poured jet black with a one finger tan head that dissipated within a minute or two. There was fair to moderate lacing.

The aroma of this beer is pure roasted coffee with just a hint of chocolate. If I didn't know better, I'd swear I had a glass of cool coffee. And while this beer is lumped into the Oatmeal Stout catagory, I can't help but grade it as a sub catagory of Coffee Stout. Is it basically one dimensional? Yes. But that dimension is AMAZING. I want this stuff for breakfast.

The taste? Well, it goes right along with the aroma. It tastes like really good coffee, but better. Thats really the only way I know to describe it. If you like coffee, you'll love this beer. I want this stuff in my thermos at work.

Mouthfeel is just about right for this style, in my opinion. The carbonation doesn't linger. Its got the body of creamy hot chocolate but with the taste of A+ coffee. I want this stuff for dessert after dinner.

Drinkability? I could sip this stuff all day. The ABV isn't out of control like a lot of the other stouts. It was a pleasure to experience.

11-18-2010 08:07:44 | More by Betmore