Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hell's Black Intelligencer - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Hell's Black IntelligencerHell's Black Intelligencer

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: AleWatcher on 10-25-2010

An oatmeal stout brewed with Intelligentsia coffee. "Richard yet lives, Hell's Black Intelligencer" - Queen Margaret, Richard III

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.24/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Growler pours courtesy of CaseyK - thanks again!

A - Black, not much head, good lacing

S - Pungent fresh roasted coffee - smells fantastic; a touch of oat

T - Rush of coffee to the dome --> roasted malts and oats --> bitter chocolate and espresso beans on the finish

M - Thin, even for an oatmeal stout, but decently carbonated

D - If you like coffee, this is very drinkable.

This is a fantastic beer. It's not complex (in terms of # of flavors), but the coffee notes are second to none. I am jealous of you who live close to 3Fs right about now... (560 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -5.7%

Aroma:Tons of coffee in the nose. It smells like a cup of coffee, no beer.

Appearance:Black with very little head.

Taste:It's definitely coffee, but there's also dark chocolate, and roasty malts. It still has amazing coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel:It's a little watery, but very easy to drink.

Drinkability:This was quite a pleasure to drink, but I'm a big fan of coffee. This is a great mild coffee stout, but with none of the sourness you sometimes get with this style. (469 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +1.8%

Had this at the 3f brewpub in Munster IN.

This was served on a coffee mug/glass! Just the perfect glassware for this beer.

Pours a pitch black color with a mocha tan head that has nice retention.

Aroma is of tons of coffee, some malts and dark chocolate. Awesome.

Taste starts with a faint malt sweetness and a coffee explosion that is very overpowering. Finishes with a creamy chocolate note. Aftertaste is mildly bitter.

Body is medium/ high with high carbonation.

This beer is right there with the Founders Breakfast Stout as the best coffee beers available. (567 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%

tap tap - seved in a short mug glass.

A - deep brown, almost black with a two finger medium brown head. Leaved a fair amount of lacing.

S - wow - lots of coffee. Some roasty, acrid notes apparent, but the coffee overwhelms all.

T - the intense coffee flavor as one would expect from the nose. Very drying on the palate - almost like a irish ale yeast dryness, but more intense. No hops detectable - the coffee overwhelms all.

M - just enough body to hold on to all the flavor - any thinner and I would say fail,

D - somewhat low for me. I'm not a coffee drinker, but do enjoy coffee/espresso stouts, I just like them with a little more reserved flavor.

Overall, a pretty nice beer. I do like my coffee stouts a little less coffee forward, but this well made in the FFF style. (784 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -21.6%

Huge thanks to glazeman for heading out to FFF for this one. This is a brew I've wanted to try for quite some time now.

As far as looks go, this beer doesn't look much different than any other coffee stout - dark brown/black with a tiny head that quickly fades to nothing. No lacing and no head retention. In terms of smell, it is pure coffee with a tiny hint of fig and burnt roasts. The taste is similar to the smell, but clearly dominated by by the coffee. Overall, this is a drinkable beer, but there isn't a whole lot going on other than the coffee. (556 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

I have had this several times on-tap, but the last time was on tap at the Indiana Brewers guild Winterfest.

Look - It pours almost completely black, but the is very little head and what head there is, is a mocha color.

Smell - Am I getting ready to drink an ice coffee? Huge huge coffee flavor, then with a little chocolate.

Taste - Just like in the nose a huge coffee bomb. There is a bitterness that I think is from the coffee I don't really taste any hops. It is not very complex but for what it is it's one of the best oatmeal stouts that I have ever had.

Mouthfeel - This is the one part where it loses some points from me, compared to other in this style the mouthfeel is pretty thin.

Drinkablilty - This is crazy good, I really wish they decided to bottle this beer for 2011. It could be such a great gateway beer for people who think they don't like darker beers. (877 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to my friend Adam for dropping this by while in town. What can I say, intelligencia coffee and FFF are a match made in heaven.

This poured dark black, with a small brown head. As the beer warmed up, the coffee aroma became very prevalent mixed with oatmeal and chocolate notes. The smell reminded me of a mocha.

This beer has wonderful flavor. The coffee is very strong but smooth, full bodied, with very low bitterness and acidity. There's a good amount of chocolate to back up the coffee flavor.

The mouth feel was slightly lacking for me. It came off a little too dry for my liking, but smoothed out as the beer warmed up.

If you can stop by FFF, you must try this one before its gone! (700 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Blacker than black...Literally not a bit of light coming through when held up to the light. Not very much head on my pour, but what's there is a nice, inviting brown. Can't wait to dig in!

S- Straight coffee. Has some hints of something else hiding in there, but the coffee is clearly dominant here. Sorry, I'm new :)

T- Yum. To clarify, I love the smell of coffee, just not the taste. That said, to me this tastes like what a good coffee bean smells like, not what a 'good coffee' tastes like. Make sense? I remember going to the mall and walking past Gloria Jean's back in the day, and always noting how absolutely fantastic it smelled, and how I always wished that's what coffee tasted like; that's what HBI reminds me of--what coffee should taste like. Finishes with a hint of bitterness.

M- Would have expected this to be a bit thicker given it's looks, but it nonetheless, it all works.

D- Alas, I've got a Sunday to myself full of playoff football and a kickass Stout. Please, contain your tears, I know it's a sob story. Totally going to kill this growler on my own! (1,081 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +11.7%

3 Floyds event at my local pub, had no clue what this beer was (or even what it was really called as the name was scrawled on a chalkboard) when I tried it. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Opaque with a half inch head the color of mocha. Head dissipates fairly quickly but leaves lacing down the glass. Not a ton of carbonation visible.

Smell: Hints of the great stuff to come. Coffee and chocolate hit the nose first, followed up by a generous amount of roasty malt. Finally, there's a vanillalike sweetness to this beer that comes through in the aroma.

Taste: All of the above, plus more. Lovely rich malt body with more of that lactose-like sweetness from the oats. Leaves hints of coffee and roast malt in the mouth. Barely a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: a real treat - smooth, full-bodied and creamy when the carbonation is up, retained the smoothness as the beer sat, but the moderate carbonation really adds an extra feeling of thickness that makes the beer really enjoyable.

Overall: A very very pleasant surprise, and one to be savored if you can find it. I'd wanted to try a dark beer (not Robert the Bruce) from 3 Floyds for some time, since most of what we get here is gumballhead and pride and joy. Lived up to anything I could have expected from it. (1,270 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -8%

A: It is black, pitch black. Head is a creamy, milk chocolate, brown.

S: Smells like coffee...almost dominates the other smells but roasted malts are present, some chocolate. Intelligencia makes great coffee and this stuff smells like fresh pot of it.

T: Tastes like it smells...big coffee taste, but works well with the malt character to deliver a nice flavor. Not surprising considering it is a Floyds beer. Everything is big in their arsenal.

M: Nice body for a stout, not too heavy, and is pretty smooth.

D: Definitely tasty, no booziness to it, as I mentioned it goes down smooth. (589 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -15.6%

On tap at FFF. Served in a glass mug. No more plastic cups during the brewpub renovations.

Nice blackness to it with a thick, creamy, oatmealy head.

It smells and tastes of mostly coffee and dark chocolate. The taste includes a nice malty backbone and a very slight toffee flavor.

The mouth feel was thinner than I expected.

Overall, this is a pretty tasty beer. I wouldn't say that it was great, but certainly worthy of a try. The low abv makes for a more sessionable stout. It would have been more enjoyable if the flavors that already exist were just more powerful. (573 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +9.9%

*poured from a growler into a pint glass*

Hell's Black Intelligencer poured jet black with a one finger tan head that dissipated within a minute or two. There was fair to moderate lacing.

The aroma of this beer is pure roasted coffee with just a hint of chocolate. If I didn't know better, I'd swear I had a glass of cool coffee. And while this beer is lumped into the Oatmeal Stout catagory, I can't help but grade it as a sub catagory of Coffee Stout. Is it basically one dimensional? Yes. But that dimension is AMAZING. I want this stuff for breakfast.

The taste? Well, it goes right along with the aroma. It tastes like really good coffee, but better. Thats really the only way I know to describe it. If you like coffee, you'll love this beer. I want this stuff in my thermos at work.

Mouthfeel is just about right for this style, in my opinion. The carbonation doesn't linger. Its got the body of creamy hot chocolate but with the taste of A+ coffee. I want this stuff for dessert after dinner.

Drinkability? I could sip this stuff all day. The ABV isn't out of control like a lot of the other stouts. It was a pleasure to experience. (1,146 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer can not be stopped!

Even in a disposable solo cup, it's perfect. This is the standard by which all breakfast stouts should be judged. Oatie, bitter, massive coffee kick in the face... It's not sweet at all.

The beer has a tan foamy head with continued lacing as long as you allow it to exist in your delivery vessel.

Totally black and opaque. If this were bottled, it would be the every day beer during Bears season.

Pairs really well with loud music and a desire to be left alone for some pensive beer snob moments! (533 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

This review is via my notes when I had it for the sixth week in a row in late December at FFF. I loved it so much that I drove from South Bend to get growlers of it 6 weeks in a row. It was served in a 10oz glass coffee cup and it took me an hour to drink, each serving that I had of it that is.

A- This beer is black! It reminds me of stories people have of going to Hell and not being able to see their hands in front of their faces. Great color and what you would expect of a beer that is an oatmeal stout brewed with rich coffee.

S- My God! It's like an intelligent Juan Valdez farted the best coffee in the universe! As it warms it gets better.

T- So lovely. I begin my day with coffee and end it with beer. This is exceptional as it makes the two worlds collide without chaos. Roasty caramel with a perfect blend of smokey, malty sweetness.

M- Very smoothe. Low carbonation. Rolls through the palate leaving me confused as to what time of day it is. The bitterness of the coffee and the sweetness of the oatmeal and malt are very well balanced.

D- Sip it like coffee. That's all I have to say (1,103 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: Dark brown to black with a low to medium head.
Aroma: Smells like a very concentrated coffee.
Taste: Tastes very much like coffee. Might be slightly more acidic than coffee but overall this beer tastes so much like coffee that if Starbucks told me this was iced coffee I might believe them.
Conclusion: If you like iced coffee that is very rhich in flavor you will love this beer. I could drink this all day long. Just be careful you might not realize how much you drink and end up completely drunk (511 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Had on tap at Three Floyds Brew Pub on 5/1/12

I had been wanting to try this beer for a long time now and it did not disappoint.

Appearance: Poured a black, dark coffee-like color with some dark brown to red tones on the edges where the light hits. This beer looks like a cup of black coffee, and I mean black. Very nice looking beer. Even the consistency looks like coffee.

Smell: When I smelled this beer, I turned to my friend and just let out a blissful sigh. This is one of the best smelling stouts I've ever had the pleasure of inhaling. HUGE (the all caps is an understatement) coffee. Not just your ho-hum folgers either. This beer smells like great coffee. While you can mostly detect the awesome roasty coffee notes, there is a faint sweetness hanging out on the sidelines.

Taste: I can die happy. (again...) HUGE coffee notes. Roasty, bitter, with a touch of sweetness. Then comes the dark chocolate, that sweetness I smelled in the background. The coffee and dark chocolate create a perfect medley of roasty, bitter, and sweet flavors that had me smiling the whole time. This beer made my day.

Mouthfeel: If there's one thing I can knock this beer on is the mouthfeel. It felt a little thin. Not in a bad way, though. In comparison to other oatmeal stouts it could be said that it is light bodied. However I think that adds to the experience and enhances the coffee flavors. It's sort of thin and very smooth...like coffee.

Overall: This beer had me smiling the whole time I was drinking it. It has a place in my top 10 beer list now. I hope that Floyds ends up bottling and distributing this soon because it is hands down one of their better beers (and that's saying a lot!). If you can get to the pub, if you like coffee, or are in the mood to try something different and new you have to get this beer. (1,822 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Hell's Black Intelligencer from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.