The Creeper - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

The CreeperThe Creeper

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Doppelbock |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: AleWatcher on 10-25-2010)
3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Serving Tpe: 22 oz Bomber poured into a Tulip Glass.

A: Pours pitch black w/only about 1/4" of head. Lacing is present, but doesn't really sticks to the sides of the glass to long.

S: Slight sweet, malty aroma. Only a subtle hint of coffee can be detected as well.

T: Again slight, sweet, malty, roasted taste. Just a slight touch of bitterness @ the end from the hops.

M:Creamy with medium body. Just the right amount of carbonation for this beer style.

D: This brew is aging quite well since I last had this back in October '10, and is dangerously drinkable. I am looking forward to aging the other 4 bombers I have.

Dhren1979, Jan 10, 2011
4.1/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two imperial pint glasses. Thanks to HollyAnn for the assist! Special thanks to Steve for the hook up!

A: Pours a dark cola brown/black with rusty highlights. A really thin layer of creamy khaki colored head spreads out on top and quickly recedes to a slight collar with a few whisps of skim.

S: Lots of roasted malt. Way more than expected, which is awesome. Along for the ride is some dark chocolate, dark fruit, and a bit of medium roast coffee.

T: Just as above with chocolate covered cherry, spicy alcohol, and cinnamon.

M: Very nice dryness from the roasty malt which keeps the sweetness from getting out of hand.

D: I really liked this because it's not what I expected, at all. Some rich sweetness that is countered expertly by the dry, roasty malt and slightly solvent alcohol.

GbVDave, Jan 06, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Dark brown with a slightly reddish hue. Ring of small dense bubbles for head.

Some roasty elements to the aroma. Flavor is similar with some strong flavors of malt, dark fruits and maybe even a twinge of smoke.

Lively carbonation, which was pleasant and unexpected. Not a style I typically go for, but this one was quite tasty and I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out of the bottle so I can compare.

thetomG, Jan 04, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured out from a 22 oz. bomber into a Russian River goblet.

The beer pours out almost black and opaque with a very thin beige head. The aroma is filled with lots of chocolate, some roastiness, and maybe just a touch of smoke. This smells like a great baltic porter. I'm not getting many toasty notes.

The taste is dominated pleasing chocolate flavors with a hint of roast and again maybe a hint of smoke. This is a delicious baltic porter.

The mouthfeel is pretty full, and feels very smooth and creamy.

This is an excellent, drinkable beer. It's not like most of the doppelbocks that I've tried. But since this is made to be more "dark and disturbing" - it does fit the theme of what they were doing. Excellent job!

westweasel, Jan 03, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

A: Black shade of brown. Tan medium thick foam of moderate retention.

S: Dark roasted malt without smokiness. Then some light notes of dark fruit, molasses, and chocolate.

T: A full sweet bread taste upfront. It's creamy and fully carbonated so the prescence is big. A few notes of raisins and prunes. Then faint alcohol taste in the background.

D: I keep forgetting this brew is in the lager family. This brew is doubley big and deep for a bock. It's like biting into a loaf of Hawaiian bread and then doing a shot of vodka. None of the FFFs signature big hop is here. It's an OK beer, but I always expect big leaguer performance from the FFFs boys.

2BDChicago, Dec 31, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

22oz bottle, obtained from brewery, poured into snifter.
Black, opaque liquid, thin, tan head, dissipates quickly.
Roasted malt, coffee, caramel scents.
Highly carbonated, burnt malts, thin, dry with lingering malt aftertaste.
Dopplebock on steroids which is drinkable, but not anything I would seek out.

CaptCleveland, Dec 24, 2010
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

reviewed blind as part of blind beer bif #3

Bottle 4 from Box 2 thanks to Khazadum

Poured into my Pilsner glass while trying to stay up to see the cloud covered lunar eclipse.

A - Pours a pitch black with a half inch of tan foam that quickly faded

S - Deep roasted malts and coffee, really roasty aroma

T - Roasted malts, honey, brown sugar, sweet tasting but not overpowering, there is a tiny bit of smokiness to it as well in the finish. As it warms i'm picking up lots of chocolate and the smokiness fades away and it becomes really smooth.

M/D - smooth and creamy mouthfeel, medium bodied with faint carbonation, good flavor but I don't think i'd drink more than one.

3.5/3.5/4.5/4/3.5

pull off the cover like the clouds flying by uncovering the lunar eclipse...
Three Floyds The Creeper Dopplebock.
Awesome bottle! Big thanks for the chance to try this. I had a trade which of course fell through so I'm really appreciative to try this. Dopplebocks aren't my favorite, but this had a good taste to it and was enjoyable to try.

mikereaser, Dec 21, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz bottle thanks to goodstrongbeer. split. served in standard pint glasses.

A - pours with about a quarter inch of loose, creamy dark khaki colored foam. falls within a couple minutes to a thin film and ring. the beer is mostly black, with barely some deep brown color coming through the edge of the glass.

S - bold, roasted malts...yet holds back from being charred and ashy. solid amount of dark chocolate and weak roasted coffee, chicory, and smoke, as well as a twinge of dark fruits near the end.

T - chocolatey sweetness dominates right off the bat. joined alongside molasses, figs, and toasted nuts. there is also a detectable smokiness, scotch-peat like towards the end as well as some barely noticeable alcohol and char.

M - medium bodied with a nice, controlled moderate carbonation. very creamy from sip to swallow, finishing just the smallest bit dry and chalky. lingering cotton-like feel in the mouth from sweetness and a faint alcohol burn.

D - very solid beer all around. big, bold flavors and a ton of them to boot, yet everything meshes well. wonderful sipper (to split) on a brisk, quiet night.

Stigs, Dec 19, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Live review of a 22 ox bottle purchased from the brewery.
A: Black with a reddish brown hue, chocolate head died to a collar and thin film.
S: Chocolate espresso with a raspberry and sherry/port alcohol. Nice.
T: Creamy chocolate with bright sherry and merlot alcohol that lingers, espresso is much dimmer in the taste. Silght moldy hops in the finish. Roast is creamy and is cleansed with the alcohol. Simple and good.
M: Creamy and frothy into a clean finish.
D: A pint would be good.

ne0m00re, Dec 10, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to my friend Adam for this early christmas gift.

It pours a dark reddish brown with a little tan head. It dissipated fairly quick and has a just a little lacing.

S: Lots of roasted malt, hits of coffee and dark fruit.

T: Once again, tons of roasted malt, coffee which adds the acidity (not bad though) and a little chocolate. I'm really liking this flavor.

M: Really smooth, with just enough carbonation

D: Definitely worth trying if your in the area. This bomber isn't going to last me long.

curly31989, Dec 10, 2010
4.1/5  rDev 0%

A- Dark, opaque color, almost a ruby red tint to it. Tan head that showed good retention.

S- scents of buttered toast, chocolate, a little coffee but not much.

T- Coffee and chocolate dominant with a touch of...?peat? stable flavor profile throughout, ABV is hidden well.

M- surprisingly light body with limited carbonation.

D- Very nice doppelbock. Worth having at least once, and definitely more often if you have the chance.

Franz4, Dec 08, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

Had on tap at the brewpub on thanksgiving weekend.

A-pours a transparent dark coloa brown with a dark tan colred head.

S-the nose is faint but very roasty in what I do get. Roasted malts and some notes of roasted coffee.

T-the taste follows the nose but bigger. Lots of roasted malts, lots of coffee, some notes of dark chocolate with just a hint of malt sweetness in the form of dark fruits.

M-creamy medium body that is soft on the palate and has a well carbonated finish giving it a nice clean feel on the back of the throat.

D-different than what I was expecting. big time roasted malts with very little sweetness. Still, this is pretty tasty, very simple and straigh tforward, with great drinkability especially for the alcohol content.

cpetrone84, Nov 29, 2010
4.1/5  rDev 0%

"Yeah, sure: Satan rules. But that doesn't mean I can't be practical" -Andy Falkous

Bomber bought at the brewpub. The art is all doom metal and shit, and that makes sense seeing as bocks are goat-related and satanism is goat-related and, well, christ there's only so many goat-related things so these two were bound to get together.

The bottle says that this beer was made *with* the band Pelican. Not for. I don't know how that worked, exactly, but I imagine they attempted to dictate the degree to which it rocks.

This smells and tastes like a strong, lightly sour porter. I never would have guessed it was a doppelbock. Partially this is just because American Style dopelbocks--which I don't think exist officially, but are still a thing--aren't that different from American porters. They use bocky malt, but that malt is blotted out by the dry American hops.

This is a good beer, but I don't know what to judge it against. It's remarkably smooth, for its size, and the sweetness-into-dryness of the malts into the hops is bocky, I guess.

mynie, Nov 29, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Had this at the 3f brewpub in Munster IN.

Pours a dark brown, almost black color with a tan white head that leaves good lacing.

Smell is not very strong and mainly of chocolate and roasted malts.

Taste starts with roasted malts, charamel and finishes with some nuttiness and dark chocolate. Very pleasant. Aftertaste is mild and sorta sweet. Actually it reminded me of Swiss chocolate.

Body is medium and carbonation is high. Drinkability is medium to high. Alcohol is very hidden.

Overall a good dopplebock but not as sweet and charamel like the classics beers of the style. This has more of a chocolate and roast feel to it.

paulozanello, Nov 28, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to my bro in law for splitting the bottle with me. Into the pint glass. Here we go:

A - Looks rich and dark. Nice head, sticks around.

S - Toffee, caramel and dark fruits. Smells good.

T - Pretty darn good. A little sweetness, a little heat ( but hidden mostly well), lots of flavor. Touch of bitterness from the hops I balanced.

M - Creamy and thick - feels great!

D - I'd like to have more than I could reasonably drink - 1 bomber is plenty.

Well done beer in one of my favorite styles.

in780, Nov 26, 2010

Big thanks to Jeff for hooking me up with this one!

Dark brown, almost black body with a dense coffee brown head that leaves filmy lace on the glass. Anise, dark fruit and a charred, smoky maltiness in the nose. Rich and chocolatey with plenty of roasty malt flavor and sweetness in the finish. Alcohol is well hidden. Medium bodied with a crisp carbonation that adds to the drinkability. This is a nice take on the style, big and bold.

biggred1, Nov 24, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

*poured from a bomber into a pint glass*

This doppelbock poured extremely dark brown (basically black) with a very thin tan head that dissipated immediately. There was no lacing whatsoever.

The aroma is of chocolate, bready roasted malts, a touch of coffee, and a bit of hops. It smells great. I'm looking forward to the next phase of reviewing this beer.

This is a BIG doppelbock. Holy shit... I'd really like to know how this isn't classified as a stout. I mean, its not Imperial Stout level, but my God... There's a lot going on here. I'm getting tons of rich roasted malts and chocolate followed by strong coffee, burnt biscuit, and bittering hops. I tend to gravitate towards beers that I feel are going to "challenge" my tastebuds (IIPAs, Imp. Stouts...) so doppelbocks have remained largely off my radar. I picked this up at 3F brewpub on a whim and I'm not AT ALL dissapointed. I'm curious how this beer would cellar. I can't help but thing this stuff would mellow out to a ridiculous drinking experience in a year to 18 months or so.

Mouthfeel is above average, I'd say. Its got decent body and light carbonation. Honestly, though, halfway through the bomber the ABV is starting to make it's presence felt. This gets me to our next topic...

Drinkability? One bomber this evening is plenty for me. Could I drink more? Yes. Would I like to drink more? Yes. Should I drink more? Probably not.

Overall, this is a very, very good beer. While I'm not all that experienced with doppelbocks, I have to say this one has definitely grabbed my attention. I'll most certainly be trying more.

Betmore, Nov 20, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

big thanks to Dan8181 for this one.

poured from the bottle a thick and creamy near black to a dogfish head signature glass with a 1/2 finger creamy short lasting tan / mocha head with a bit of retention.

aroma chocolate, rich espresso and perhaps a bit of dark ripe fruits in the wayback.

pretty serious espresso and sweet dark fruits forward. very interesting and complex brew. and i'm a little surprised as i think about it, but this is my introduction to doppelbock as far as i can recall. very nice.

medium bodied, full on creamy, super sweet.

drinkability - dangerously so.

robwestcott, Nov 19, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

I picked a bottle of this up at the FFF brew pub. It pours like a stout with thin brown head. The color is a deep red almost like wine but much darker almost black. The smell is dark chocolate and fruity dark cherry. These carry over into the taste as well. It has a very sweet malty flavor up front then the chocolate and darker flavors come threw on the finish. This is a big beer with a lot of body and a long finish. At 9% abv I can see why they call this the creeper.

gordio25, Nov 19, 2010

Thanks again to my great friend stoutsnipas. Large bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Dark brown, some reddish highlight, one finger of off white foam, average retention, minimal lacing.
Aroma has some sweet maltiness, but some roasted malts at times given a "smokey" impression, some chocolate, dark fruits. Pleasant but unexpected.
Medium to full, moderate carbonation lending it a smooth feel, it is mostly sweet, but does not feel like a typical dopplebock. It is not the typical "clean" malty sweetness, with some notes resembling a stout, some even comparable to "crossover; beers like Black Albert. Roasted malts, caramel, bread, chocolate, some coffee, and even some "smokey notes" again.
Pleasant, nice, but just not a dopplebock.
FFF is better doing ales, but that is not news to anybody.

brdc, Nov 12, 2010
4.1/5  rDev 0%

Pours like a stout into my 3f pint glass. Nearly black with some brown visible in the head.

Smells of dark licorice. The taste pretty much follows the smell. It opens up with coffee before blasting me with licorice and settling into kind of a mix of the two.

The medium body (last few other beers have been pretty heavy, so medium is relative) seems to work pretty well for the flavor. The blast of licorice and 9% alcohol content make this a sipper.

Lintyfresh, Nov 09, 2010

poured into a pint glass

A.

pours extremely dark brown, to the point of black. a small amount of brown head that dissipates quickly.

S.

big time roasted malt. a little chocolate and coffee. perhaps a hint of rye and licorice. reminds me of a rye knot baltic porter from Figure 8.

T.

big roasted flavors. a little sweet chocolate and very mild bitterness. Not getting the huge licorice taste that people are saying but get some subtle licorice tones to it.

M.

medium bodied with some good carbonation. Beer goes down very smooth. doesn't feel like a beer that's 9%

D.

pretty good. I'd definitely get another bomber or glass at the pub. Great taste but nothing too over the top. A nice beer to enjoy right now as the weather is getting colder. Alcohol seems to be a little high, but as said previously, you don't feel too bad after a pint. I could definitely polish a bomber off myself.

cetherid, Nov 05, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to Chris for sharing this growler, one of the beers I was most excited to try after I showed up to the Pelican show and all the kegs had blown early. Vigorous pour, black liquid with a small dark tan head that settles to the edges. Even though this wasn't bottled, the label on the FFF blog is amazing, one of the best beer labels I have seen to date - extra points here as I think this is part of the appearance. Smell is coffee, burnt sugar, caramel and licorice. Taste is big on the black licorice, but settles into a creme brulee burnt caramel sugar, minimal hops and a bit of roasted coffee bitterness. it was a sweet beer, but not in the way that other beers in this style are, which is to its advantage. Heavy body and light carbonation, most likely from the growler but still good. I really enjoyed this beer, it was unlike any other doppelbock I have had.

nkersten, Nov 04, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -34.1%

Thanks to spycow for having this around for our tasting.

A - An almost black beer that looks quite dark brown in the body. Decent sized head that receded to an uneven cap.

S - A lot of dark fruit and licorice, kind of pungent in a way I didn't like.

T - Everyone else seemed to like this, but I did not care for it. Huge licorice bomb really destroyed my palate, got some dark fruits on this also, but not a ton else.

M - Nice carbonation balances out the beer, medium bodied.

D - Not drinkable due to the taste for me, the 9% isn't helping. Don't like this beer.

AgentZero, Oct 31, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

A: deep dark brown, nice tan head and lacing.
S: chocolatey malts mostly, dark fruitcake.
T: strangely differed from the nose-tangy stone fruits (cherries) moreso than the chocolatey dark bready malts. medium sweetness. hops very subtle. more fruity than bready richness as i'd expect for the style.
M: well-carbonated, full-bodied. the tanginess or hint of sourness takes away just a bit here.
D: a sipper.