Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

to view more.
Ratings: 8,331 | Reviews: 1,399
3.53/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I'm sure I'm going to get some hate for this, but here goes. Bottled 29 April, enjoyed 2 June.

Look: Hazy Straw. Nothing wrong here.

Smell: Very fresh, nice for the heat, but not really any fruit notes.

Taste: a bit bready. Good hop presence, but a bitter finish that lingers longer than I would expect for a pale.

Feel: clean and crisp.

This is a fine pale, but when you take in to consideration its rarity versus it's taste (not talking cost) it honestly isn't anything to write home about. If someone offered me one over a bud light, sure I'd take it. But there is a lot of good stuff being produced here in Ohio that I don't have to wait in line for to get that is on the same level. Another good beer from FFF, but definitely one that I would rather trade away than trade for.

4.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a different animal on tap than it is from the bottle. On tap and fresh at the brewery it's one of the best IPAs (APA) I've ever had. Bright, citrusy and a nice hop bitterness. In the bottle, it's just not nearly as good even when fresh.

4.23/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great lacing and head. Dollop left until the last swig. Big Citra hop balanced with malt. Very tasty.

4.05/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look: rust orange with a frothy white head

Smell: citrus fruit and bright hops

Taste: C hops are forefront, but bubblegum sweetness is a close second! Comparable to A Little Sumpin' Sumpin Ale regarding bubblegum notes. Unfortunately, orange and grapefruit hops overpower any malts, leaving little little balance between the two.

Feel: frothy, somewhat dry, and a little buttery

Overall: Glad to try such an esteemed beer! Wish there was more complexity to talk about, but that's unnecessary. This simple brew showcases 3 Floyd's capability to brew a great APA with simple ingredients. Check out their website for distribution info http://www.3floyds.com/distribution/?age_verification=0f5870eaaa

4.38/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

If you like Cirta then this beer is for you. Reminds me a bit of Psuedo Sue. Hazy color. Pungant dankness from the scent with easy drinkablity. Much better within a couple months of bottling.

3.47/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Maybe it's because I see this beer regularly enough, I don't know, but I don't get the hype. Personally, I like Jai Alai a lot more. Then again, I don't love Hopslam either.

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Hard to find, but worth the search.

From a trade. 12 oz bottles bottled 12 days ago. Poured into snifter.

Look: Nice amber color with a good white head.

Smell: Luscious pine and citrus with floral notes. Hints of pineapple on the back end. slight malty notes.

Taste: Piney, slight to moderate maltyness and well balanced

Feel: Butter smooth, touch of body, clean finish

Overall: I really like this pale ale. In my top 2. 1 being Trillum. Was lucky to get this one so fresh. If you get a chance defiantly try it. The fresher the better.

4.33/5  rDev -6.1%

Finally got my hands on a couple bottles of Zombie Dust and being I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio it's a big deal for this to get out my way. And to say the least it did not disappoint. Great head with light lacing poured into a pint glass from a 12oz. bottle. Extremely hoppy beer with a little sweetness and just the right bitterness that falls off quickly to balance it out perfect. This is a great beer for any IPA fan even though it's just a pale ale it's hopped to hell and back with Citra hops and it shows on the nose and taste of floral and hoppiness.

Excellent balance of hops...not too bitter.

4.38/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Malt forward APA, some floral notes with a hint of citrus in both aroma and taste. It's definitely a very good beer, but doesn't deserve the #1 spot for the APA category.....Trillium says hi!

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm not an IPA kind-of-guy but since they dominate the beer market right now, I will dabble with these types of brews. There is a near, almost mythical reputation about this particular IPA that I have been actively seeking it out. To my surprise, I actually found it on tap. I cannot say if the bottle version is as good but the glass I had yesterday was the best IPA that I've ever experienced. Despite it's strength, it is surprisingly smooth without losing characteristics which IPA's are known. This is one beer worth seeking out and do not fear its price tag, it is well worth the coin.

3.57/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The colour is amber, the high head is white. Lots of lacing occurs.

The smell is sweet with citric hops, honey, fruit candy and tree sap.

The taste is sweet with some perfume and lots of hops. Medium bitterness. Floral notes and resin. Medium body. Smooth malty aftertaste with green plants, some alcohol. The somewhat harsh finish is sticky with some tree sap.

The carbonation is strong, the mid-smooth bubbles are long-lived. The liquid is somewhat light.

Not bad at all, but not as fantastic as I had expected.

4.49/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lives up to the hype. Tons of aroma with matching tropical and tangy flavor. Creamier mouthfeel than a standard pale ale, but that's one of the things that sets it apart. All around excellent brew.

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Smell is initially a slight fruity aroma which leads to a bready note. Nice and crisp, reminds me of a less malty Pliny. Good bitter front but drops off. A really good beer. Glad I got to try it.

Unbelievable! Drank the first time and second time in a year later and still excel! This is one of the best beer I have ever drank, period. I rarely rated 5 stars, but this one deserves it and won't disappoint you. Amazing to see the low IBU from Zombie Dust and still delivered executing. Would linger on your buds and palate that long. Impressed.

4.36/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

There is nothing wrong with this beer.

I love this beer period!

4.81/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Well this stuff sure doesn't disappoint. As good of a pale ale as I ever had!!

4.09/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very good beer but I don't get why it has the majestic status it has. Don't get me wrong it's great but there are many beers that are at least as good. I'm really happy that I finally got to try it!

4.42/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First off, the bottle is amazing. Holy artwork Batman!! The bottle cap is by far the most creative one that I have yet to see.
A: It pours a darker shade of amber in color, tint of orange. Very clear pour with a thin, white head that dissipates into a white lacing.
S: As soon as I cracked open the bottle, it immediately filled my room with an amazing floral/citrusy aroma. I can detect grapefruit, mango, peach, very sweet, perhaps a hint of pine. The aroma is right up there with FPPA by Trillium. However upon pouring it into a glass I was able to detect some malty sweetness.
T: Unlike the nose a bit. I detect some malty sweetness with a dry grapefruit/hoppy kick to it. Slight bitterness. Definitely a combination of sweetness with dry hops. Can't detect citrus notes. Pine is fairly apparent.
M: Medium body, medium carbonation, hops are prickly to the tongue. Slight bitterness, definitely has a dryness to it which leaves the mouth wanting another sip.
O: I finally was able to get my hands on ZD!! It pays to trade I suppose; however despite being bottle fairly recently, (about 2 weeks ago) it's not as citrusy/balanced as Fort Point Pale Ale by Trillium. It's still very good, but I'd have to give it to Trillium. Next APA to try: PseudoSue

4.79/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 4/1/15.

Not sure if I've had this before when I lived in Indiana, but my first documentation of it.

Amazing aroma for a pale ale. Blew me away.

Only thing lacking for me was the feel. It felt thin and everything was quick to dissipate. Maybe because my bottle is just over a month old but I felt this beer could handle sitting in my cellar for 3 weeks since I purchased it.

Hope to try again soon. I will definitely seek this out again whenever possible.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into New Belgium 'snifter'.

Pours a hazy dark orange-golden color. 1 finger white thick head that is sticking around for about the last 1/4 finger, and leaving nice lacing on the glass. Great big fresh tropical and citrus nose with a touch of pine and just enough malty character to let you know it's there. Taste comes through with delicate, yet tenacious pine, citrus, and tropical notes. Perfect, perfect, perfect body and mouth feel for an APA, finishes with a nice dryness, although I'm just looking for a bit more hop flavor on the back end. I mean, it's easy drinking, beautifully balanced, and nice and refreshing, so that's awesome, but I'm really looking for something to "pop" or send me over the edge. Doesn't stand up to others like PseudoSue in my opinion. Still, let's be honest. Pretty damn good.

4.77/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A friend brought back a six-pack to Hong Kong for me while this was still super fresh in February. Obviously there are times where I just like to sit back and enjoy a beer instead of always reviewing and as it is, two and a half months on, I’m down to my last bottle and so here’s the review. This 12oz bottle was bottled on 13 February 2015 and poured into a pint glass.

A: The beer poured a slightly hazy golden orange colour with a nice one and a half finger white head that dissipated fairly quickly leaving nice stringy lacing.
S: Intense aromas of tropical fruits especially pineapple and mango hit first, followed by some citrus grapefruit and a hint of bready malts finally ending with some hoppy pine.
T: Much like the smell, there was tropical pineapple, citrus grapefruit, some bready buscuity malts and a very nice bitter finish.
M: Very crisp, light and with medium carbonation.
O: I had high expectations before trying it and it lived up to those expectations. It was a very easy APA to drink and this is a must buy if available for me. It was best when it was freshest. Now lets see about 3 Floyds distribution to Hong Kong… hmm, I guess distribution = friends!

4.3/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Citrus, earthiness/pine and bread, with a crisp, dry finish. A bit overrated, but a solid APA nonetheless.

to view more.
Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.