Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews by RaggaD:
4.75/5  rDev +3%

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Hook up from Sir_Win in Indiana - thanks, man! Pours a hazy, copper, deep-amber color. Humongous off-white head starts boiling immediately, even with a delicate pour; lots of staying power and a ton of nice lacing.

The aroma of this beer, for lack of a better term, is fucking amazing. As soon as you open the bottle, a surge of fruit and hops jumps out at you. You dip your nose to the glass and it bum-rushes your nostrils like no other. JAM PACKED with all kinds of fruits; tangerines, oranges, grapefruits, papaya, pineapple. The description of the beer on the bottle is very accurate - this beer's aroma is GUSHING with citrus. It's incredible. The citrus is outlined with an incredible hop portrait; resinous, piney, oily, slightly floral and dank. Perfect aroma for a pale ale.

At this point, I'm just hoping that the smell doesn't get my hopes up so high only to be let down by the taste. It doesn't - this beer delivers, HARD. The hops are more up front in the taste than they were in the aroma, and it works perfectly. You're still getting the incredible citrus on the nose and the extra hops on the tongue - perfect harmony and synthesis of the senses. Bitter spikes and oily and resinous hops take over for a bit, mellowed out by the grapefruits, tangerines, pineapples, and mangoes in the background.

The hops round out a bit as the beer warms up, and the citrus flavors evolve even more. This beer is seriously insane, one of the best things I've ever tasted. Little malt and yeast on the very tail end. Not much, but really, when your hop profile is this amazing, it doesn't leave much of one to be desired. Just a phenomenal flavor and aroma profile that synthesize extraordinarily well. Medium body, medium-high carbonation, ever so slightly sticky.

Good lord. After I had a Pliny the Elder, I thought I'd never have another hop-forward beer better than it. I take that back. Pliny is damn good, but Zombie Dust is goddamn incredible. Literally, a PERFECT combo of bitter and sweet, hops and citrus, every sip blows my mind all over again. And that nose... my GOD that nose. Unbelievable. Whether you consider this a PA or an IPA doesn't matter - just know that it's an amazing beer. If I could get my hands on this easily, I would drink it all day, until the day I died. All hail the Citra hop, all hail motherfuckin' Zombie Dust.

EDIT: 4/3/2013

Finally received some more of this after putting it off for so long (thanks MCain04). I was afraid this time around that it wouldn't be as good. I was worried that maybe I had hyped it up to myself before and that I was overrating it big-time. I was scared that my palate had changed and Zombie Dust would no longer be the same sweet nectar I fell in love with the first time around. Luckily all of my worries were wiped away the second I cracked open the bottle, took a nice whiff and had another sip. This stuff is simply amazing. So perfectly balanced and so insanely drinkable. All things considered, this is still one of THE best beers out there, in my opinion.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

September 8, 2014

12 oz bottle, weizen glass

A – Pours orange to light amber. Thick finger of head that sticks around for a long time. Mild haze, probably from being poured cold, mostly good clarity otherwise.

S – Lots of lemon and other citrus, a bit of fresh cut grass, grapefruit. A hop bomb. Some malty sweetness on the nose but balanced hard towards the hops. Some malt thickness.

T – Very malty and then the hops take over. Citrus and grapefruit melts into a perfectly bitter finish. A ton of hop bitterness but really well balanced with the malt.

M – Very malty, relatively full body, just a bit of acidity leading into the finish. Bitterness coats the tongue, balanced with malt sweetness. Not a palate wrecker despite smelling like it could be one.

O – Having had this before without evaluating properly, I was pleasantly surprised to remember how well balanced it is. There is a ton of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness, but does not destroy your taste buds. The malt has a great presence as well and really works together with the hops to create a remarkable beer. Great example of the American Pale Ale style.

4.06/5  rDev -11.9%

Very good beer, but HIGHLY overrated. There are dozens of equally good IPA's, including better ones from 3 Floyds.

4.42/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured into a nonic a clear medium golden with a large fluffy white crown that settled very slowly into a frothy mass.A big shot of grapefruit hops hits ya in the nose along with some overripe tangerine,a sweetish biscuit malt is noticable as well.A healthy dose of citric hops over top of sweet biscuit on the palate,more fruity hops than bitter.A great pale ale,it has a huge dose of hops but it's actually a pretty rounded palate.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

I have been saving myself to write my first review until I tried this beer. It has taken 5 years, but I finally have gotten my hands on this marvelous brew.

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber color, not quite the right color for a pale ale, so this is my only knock on this beer. A one finger head dissipates as you drink it, but it leaves a little tracing on the glass

S: Grapefruit, hops, spice, and floral. Beautiful combination of beta acid hops stand out. As it warms, a slight sweetness takes over.

T: Juicy, the label had it right! There is a beautiful balance of malt and hops, slight herb, citrus, a bit of bread/yeast comes through as well. Slight bitterness as it finishes, but not a palate wrecker. Very crisp and refreshing.

M: Mild carbonation, coats your mouth, but doesn't linger like more hoppy beers.

O: This is my favorite new brew. I had read great things about this beer for 5 years, and have been waiting patiently to get my hands on it. Anytime anyone wants to trade this beer to me, I will not turn it down. What a great combination of hops and grain! I continue to be amazed as I drink this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Our group of 4 Beer Advocate members did a recent small bottle tasting of high alcohol brews.
Among the 12 brews tasted was; Zombie Dust American Pale Ale from Three Floyds. Although
not a high alcohol beer, I had just bought it because it was rated number 6 on the BA site with
a BA score of 100. Sad to say this beer was a total disappointment finishing 10th with an average
rating of 3.75. It is possible that something was wrong with this bottle as it had no head to speak
of at all. I have another one to try, so hopefully it will live up to the reviews of other reviewers.

Well I tried the second bottle and still do not understand how Zombie Dust got the rave reviews. But this bottle did have a little more appeal than the first one, but not enough to change my rating.

I have been spoiled by two really outstanding IPA's here in Vermont; Alchemist's Heady Topper which is currently at number 1 on the BA site, and Lawson's Finest Liquids Double Sunshine, which
is currently at number 10 on the BA site. However I feel Double Sunshine should be number 1 and
Heady Topper number 2.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Served in a tapered FFF glass.

High clarity orange, slowly rising trails of carbonation. Creamy cap of dense foam, about a half inch at first that recedes after awhile, leaving concentric rings of lace. Skim across the top eventually breaks, but lasts for a bit.

Pungent citrus, grapefruit and tangerine, rich with citrus-heavy Citra hops.

Fruity hops hit first, more tangerine, sweet orange and grapefruit notes upfront. Resiny sticky hops linger into the pale malt middle, clean and a little grainy. Dry leafy green bitterness in the finish, hints of aspirin. Feel is relatively light, creamy and soft at first, drying out into the bitter finish. Good malty balance to the hefty dose of hoppage, approaching IPA territory for sure. Can't wait for the bottles, this is basically FFF's 1-up to local classic Daisy Cutter.

3.9/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really want to rate this beer higher. Poured into frozen pint, bottled on 7/11 so I know freshness isn't an issue. Smell is fantastic , floral and fresh, west coast fragrance. Taste when it hits the tongue is same as smell but gives way to a belgian style flavor, not my style. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and beer is super fresh tasting. I tried it twice to make sure it wasn't an off day, but it wasn't. I would drink again for sure, but I wouldn't seek it out, just not my style of PA/IPA

2.92/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is an okay beer. It's definitely not worth the hype that TF has made. I've tried it a few times & I just wasn't blown away. I've had other APA's/IPA's that I can say are much better. It's not a bad beer, but I wouldn't put it within my top 10 beers of all time.

3.25/5  rDev -29.5%

Thanks to a Tsauce2 who got a co-worker of mine a six pack from the 3floyds.

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Pint glass

Zombie Dust has a glowing orange appearance. The head quickly dissipates and less than a millimeter of foam is left around the edge of the top of the beer.

The scents I've picked up from this beer include lots of citrus fruits, lemon, grapefruit, orange.

Taste is pretty good with only a slight touch of bitterness that doesn't linger long enough to throw off the overall taste of the brew. All the citrus components in the scent are there with the taste as well. The alcohol is hidden very well also.

Mouthfeel is easy going down, very smooth and velvety for an APA.

Overall- I enjoyed this brew but I didn't really find anything too incredibly special about it. I enjoy most of the beers this brewery puts out but all the hype I've heard about Zombie Dust just didn't live up to my expectations.

4.7/5  rDev +2%

If you like hoppy beer this is a one. If your not sure, this is a good one to try. Hoppy upfront taste but clean on the back end.

It's a great beer, but it is overrated. I agree with the fellow who said that the label is better than the beer...

4.38/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A tad bit overrated. I think the label design is actually better than the beer. This is a perfect example of a beer that is overrated because it comes from a trusted brewery. Love 3 Floyds, but there's no way that this brew deserves a Top 15 spot.

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tart floral taste up front that is instantly refreshing and smooth yet strong and full. The finish is still smooth with slight bitter notes reminiscent to orange rinds and grapefruit. For any IPA or APA fan, it doesn't really get any better tank this.

3.85/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Stopped in this beerwery on the way back to Detroit from Chi-Town. Bought several cases of different 3 Floyds. This IPA presents a Gold color with a nice head and a super hoppy flavor and finish. Full bouquet aroma and sweet citrusy after-taste. Perfect hoppiness. They should call this brew hoppy rabbit as it doesn't turn one into a zombie.. very nice brew.

4.73/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle. Great mouth feel...wow!

2.16/5  rDev -53.1%

Great beer!

But it is not an American Pale Ale. Too hoppy for style classification. Disqualified.

Really, people. Pay attention to style. Styles have meanings and characteristics for the purpose of judging. Three floyds calls this an APA when it is an IPA based on the IBU and other criteria. Judging this to be a 100 in the world of American Pale Ales is like saying the best type of apple in the world is a banana. If you don't pay attention to style parameters you shouldn't be judging any beers at all, because otherwise all we're doing here is telling the world what your OPINION is of a specific beer, and frankly, I don't care about your opinion if you can't even compare a beer against its supposed style guidelines.

3.12/5  rDev -32.3%

I have really enjoyed the Floyd's work before, but after trying ZD a few times I gotta say: I don't get the hype on this one.

The appearance is nice, amber meets straw in color.

The nose is pleasant enough, almost a lighter, yet similar, nose to Kern River Citra.

The taste is interesting, but not overwhelmingly appealing. The hops clean your tongue a little in the beginning, and it's okay in the middle, but this is where you start to get that hint of wood. Yes, wood. And it really comes through in the finish. To me, it's not a great addition to this beer. And it's not a piney or citrusy flavor. It's kinda generic---wood. I have it 3 times, albeit always from a bottle. Maybe on tap would be different.

I'm not writing ZD off. And I'm not hating on them. In fact, if offered I will try again. I'm not scared off of this one, just a little perplexed by the hype.

This is my favorite beer. Love the artwork, love the taste! I've managed to have it on draft three different occasions in Terre Haute Indiana. Also picked up 2 cases at Dark Lord day 2013!

4.38/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours with a nice, solid white head that lingers. Beautiful amber-orange color with LOTS of vigorous bubbles cascading upwards. The head leaves some nice lacing on the glass as it goes down.

Smell: Oh, the hops and the pine smell! This is *much* better than when I had a pint at a tap takeover back in early 2014. Crisp, hoppy, pine at its best.

Taste: Probably about on par with PseudoSue. Really smooth, really bright with the pine and hops.

Feel: The pine aftertaste definitely lingers, but it goes down really smooth.

Overall: I'm perfectly ok paying $2.99 every once in awhile for this at Discount Liquor. It comes close to the hype.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.