Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,165
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Reviews by elNopalero:
elNopalero

Oh, I seriously love Zombie Dust. It became my new favorite addiction in the short window of time where I was able to enjoy it.

I had it on tap, cask and in the bottle.

I was able to do a side-by-side tap vs. cask comparison. Below are my findings of this highly scientific research:

Zombie dust on bottle

While I couldn’t get a growler of Zombie Dust to go I did score a sixer of this wonderful elixir.
It pours with a golden amber color and great foam. There’s a big bouquet on it of tropical fruit, pineapple and a lemony citrusy hop. The flavor is hoppy without being overpoweringly bitter with a crisp orange-lemony and pineapple floral notes coming across. Lightly bodied, this is all about the flavorful and aromatic hops. Loved it.

Zombie Dust on tap and in cask: a side-by-side comparison.

Tap: This has tight foam atop a clear golden tan color brew. The aroma is intensely hoppy and crisp with an amazing tropical citrusy hop aroma and a light note of toasted straw on the finish. There’s an upfront bitterness with some resin on it. Floral and citrusy with a hint of caramel sweetness and a dry finish.

Cask: It pours an amber-golden color with gloppy, sloppy bubbly foam. The aroma and flavor are both smooth, mellow, even. Warms well with citrusy notes prevalent with a great rounded smoothness. There’s an orange citrusy aroma, more mellow than tap but equally enjoyable. The flavor is likewise rounded and softened, with a smooth resiny/orange/orange peel and marmalade character to it.

Whether on tap or from the cask it is dangerously good and lives up to everything I’ve heard.

01-22-2013 08:12:37 | More by elNopalero
oberon

4.43/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured into a nonic a clear medium golden with a large fluffy white crown that settled very slowly into a frothy mass.A big shot of grapefruit hops hits ya in the nose along with some overripe tangerine,a sweetish biscuit malt is noticable as well.A healthy dose of citric hops over top of sweet biscuit on the palate,more fruity hops than bitter.A great pale ale,it has a huge dose of hops but it's actually a pretty rounded palate.

05-05-2012 23:47:22 | More by oberon

Smokesnotes

04-26-2014 02:00:03 | More by Smokesnotes
tectactoe

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Hook up from Sir_Win in Indiana - thanks, man! Pours a hazy, copper, deep-amber color. Humongous off-white head starts boiling immediately, even with a delicate pour; lots of staying power and a ton of nice lacing.

The aroma of this beer, for lack of a better term, is fucking amazing. As soon as you open the bottle, a surge of fruit and hops jumps out at you. You dip your nose to the glass and it bum-rushes your nostrils like no other. JAM PACKED with all kinds of fruits; tangerines, oranges, grapefruits, papaya, pineapple. The description of the beer on the bottle is very accurate - this beer's aroma is GUSHING with citrus. It's incredible. The citrus is outlined with an incredible hop portrait; resinous, piney, oily, slightly floral and dank. Perfect aroma for a pale ale.

At this point, I'm just hoping that the smell doesn't get my hopes up so high only to be let down by the taste. It doesn't - this beer delivers, HARD. The hops are more up front in the taste than they were in the aroma, and it works perfectly. You're still getting the incredible citrus on the nose and the extra hops on the tongue - perfect harmony and synthesis of the senses. Bitter spikes and oily and resinous hops take over for a bit, mellowed out by the grapefruits, tangerines, pineapples, and mangoes in the background.

The hops round out a bit as the beer warms up, and the citrus flavors evolve even more. This beer is seriously insane, one of the best things I've ever tasted. Little malt and yeast on the very tail end. Not much, but really, when your hop profile is this amazing, it doesn't leave much of one to be desired. Just a phenomenal flavor and aroma profile that synthesize extraordinarily well. Medium body, medium-high carbonation, ever so slightly sticky.

Good lord. After I had a Pliny the Elder, I thought I'd never have another hop-forward beer better than it. I take that back. Pliny is damn good, but Zombie Dust is goddamn incredible. Literally, a PERFECT combo of bitter and sweet, hops and citrus, every sip blows my mind all over again. And that nose... my GOD that nose. Unbelievable. Whether you consider this a PA or an IPA doesn't matter - just know that it's an amazing beer. If I could get my hands on this easily, I would drink it all day, until the day I died. All hail the Citra hop, all hail motherfuckin' Zombie Dust.

EDIT: 4/3/2013

Finally received some more of this after putting it off for so long (thanks MCain04). I was afraid this time around that it wouldn't be as good. I was worried that maybe I had hyped it up to myself before and that I was overrating it big-time. I was scared that my palate had changed and Zombie Dust would no longer be the same sweet nectar I fell in love with the first time around. Luckily all of my worries were wiped away the second I cracked open the bottle, took a nice whiff and had another sip. This stuff is simply amazing. So perfectly balanced and so insanely drinkable. All things considered, this is still one of THE best beers out there, in my opinion.

12-15-2012 15:36:12 | More by tectactoe

Colorado

11-21-2013 02:18:59 | More by xVERITAS
weatherdog

Growler shared by Dan with friends, poured into a Cigar City snifter

It pours a a pretty standard APA looking light orange, slightly hazy and a medium bone colored head. Minimal lace coats the side of the glass.

The hop presence is big and beautiful. Huge orange, grapefruit and pineapple fill my nose. It's just a tropical party of hop aromas, geared exactly to my preference. I am absolutely in love Citra hops and don't mind at all the surging popularity of them.

The flavor keeps almost the same hop intensity and adds just a touch of a malt sweetness at the end to counteract the hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel is pretty light making this APA very approachable and drinkable.

01-10-2011 17:24:14 | More by weatherdog

07-27-2014 01:33:17 | More by DanHarper
poibag808

Hawaii

4.53/5  rDev -1.9%

poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Nice thick white 2 finger head. Good lacing. Beautiful golden honey/orange body with good carbonization.

S: Really pungent floral hoppyness.

T: Malty sweetness upfront followed by a nice hop bitterness that lingers on the tongue. Each sip has a nice dry finish. Delicious.

Great pale ale that seems more along the lines of a IPA.

12-02-2011 09:19:25 | More by poibag808
SanFranJake

4.91/5  rDev +6.3%

Been lucky enough to get a few of these by way of trades from PHKrames and keithstone.
I know that Hopslam gets a lot of attention but this is incredible!
Poured into a Deschutes snifter.
More head than a high school prom. Better smelling than any IPA I've had, and I live down the road from Russian River.
Without all the BS, this is an amazing beer! It have everything that you want in an IPA.
If I was able to get this as easily as I can Pliny, it'd be Zombie all day!

01-27-2013 02:19:58 | More by SanFranJake