Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,625
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Reviews by jampics2:
4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Rated on tap at Three Floyds on DLD Eve, but enjoyed all DLD as well. This glass of the good stuff was consumed in the company of the Founders of Founders, love those guys. Served in an Imperial Pint glass for around $6.

Zombie Dust has a great look going on - it certainly has nothing in common with its namesake, actual Zombies or dust. The beer is a bright orange copper color with some streaks of gold and honey swirling around. The beer is cloudy, not clear, or really maybe just hazy - point being, there's little if any clarity and no noticeable carbonation. A white head sits on top then fades quickly, leaving some nice lace.

The smell is where this beer starts to shine. The citra hops have lended their unique citrus notes to the nose, and the luscious fruit scents are incredible. Ripe pineapple, lemon rind, orange pith and grapefruit are all present and accounted for. The malt is nowhere to be found. This is a tropical hop lovers dream and, were it just a touch more expressive, would be the perfect APA nose.

The taste is also very, very impressive. The start of the show is again the hoppy citrus and tropical notes. Some wonderful orange, grapefruit and lemon notes aren't overly bitter, but, instead, add enough juicyness to make my mouth water and never taste abrasive. A touch of sweetness from the malt helps too. The base is just a touch bready, but has a nice sugar sweetness like powdered sugar. A touch of yeast is also noticed mid-way through. This may seem a bit unbalanced to the purists, but, for me, this is a perfect hop-forward, almost "West-Coast" APA.

The mouthfeel was nice but perhaps the only weak link in the armor of a solid offering. It wasn't bad, but the light body was a touch grainy and, while the carb was perfect, the finish was a bit dry and bitter. Overall, Zombie Dust is the real deal - a beer every lover of hops, citra, and APA's should have on their radar. I'll be sure to grab some bottles if they come out, but, in the meantime, I'll be asking for growlers from anyone passing by FFF. Awesome beer, perhaps a bit overhyped, but solid nonetheless.

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Hook up from Sir_Win in Indiana - thanks, man! Pours a hazy, copper, deep-amber color. Humongous off-white head starts boiling immediately, even with a delicate pour; lots of staying power and a ton of nice lacing.

The aroma of this beer, for lack of a better term, is fucking amazing. As soon as you open the bottle, a surge of fruit and hops jumps out at you. You dip your nose to the glass and it bum-rushes your nostrils like no other. JAM PACKED with all kinds of fruits; tangerines, oranges, grapefruits, papaya, pineapple. The description of the beer on the bottle is very accurate - this beer's aroma is GUSHING with citrus. It's incredible. The citrus is outlined with an incredible hop portrait; resinous, piney, oily, slightly floral and dank. Perfect aroma for a pale ale.

At this point, I'm just hoping that the smell doesn't get my hopes up so high only to be let down by the taste. It doesn't - this beer delivers, HARD. The hops are more up front in the taste than they were in the aroma, and it works perfectly. You're still getting the incredible citrus on the nose and the extra hops on the tongue - perfect harmony and synthesis of the senses. Bitter spikes and oily and resinous hops take over for a bit, mellowed out by the grapefruits, tangerines, pineapples, and mangoes in the background.

The hops round out a bit as the beer warms up, and the citrus flavors evolve even more. This beer is seriously insane, one of the best things I've ever tasted. Little malt and yeast on the very tail end. Not much, but really, when your hop profile is this amazing, it doesn't leave much of one to be desired. Just a phenomenal flavor and aroma profile that synthesize extraordinarily well. Medium body, medium-high carbonation, ever so slightly sticky.

Good lord. After I had a Pliny the Elder, I thought I'd never have another hop-forward beer better than it. I take that back. Pliny is damn good, but Zombie Dust is goddamn incredible. Literally, a PERFECT combo of bitter and sweet, hops and citrus, every sip blows my mind all over again. And that nose... my GOD that nose. Unbelievable. Whether you consider this a PA or an IPA doesn't matter - just know that it's an amazing beer. If I could get my hands on this easily, I would drink it all day, until the day I died. All hail the Citra hop, all hail motherfuckin' Zombie Dust.

EDIT: 4/3/2013

Finally received some more of this after putting it off for so long (thanks MCain04). I was afraid this time around that it wouldn't be as good. I was worried that maybe I had hyped it up to myself before and that I was overrating it big-time. I was scared that my palate had changed and Zombie Dust would no longer be the same sweet nectar I fell in love with the first time around. Luckily all of my worries were wiped away the second I cracked open the bottle, took a nice whiff and had another sip. This stuff is simply amazing. So perfectly balanced and so insanely drinkable. All things considered, this is still one of THE best beers out there, in my opinion.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

September 8, 2014

12 oz bottle, weizen glass

A – Pours orange to light amber. Thick finger of head that sticks around for a long time. Mild haze, probably from being poured cold, mostly good clarity otherwise.

S – Lots of lemon and other citrus, a bit of fresh cut grass, grapefruit. A hop bomb. Some malty sweetness on the nose but balanced hard towards the hops. Some malt thickness.

T – Very malty and then the hops take over. Citrus and grapefruit melts into a perfectly bitter finish. A ton of hop bitterness but really well balanced with the malt.

M – Very malty, relatively full body, just a bit of acidity leading into the finish. Bitterness coats the tongue, balanced with malt sweetness. Not a palate wrecker despite smelling like it could be one.

O – Having had this before without evaluating properly, I was pleasantly surprised to remember how well balanced it is. There is a ton of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness, but does not destroy your taste buds. The malt has a great presence as well and really works together with the hops to create a remarkable beer. Great example of the American Pale Ale style.

4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a nonic a clear medium golden with a large fluffy white crown that settled very slowly into a frothy mass.A big shot of grapefruit hops hits ya in the nose along with some overripe tangerine,a sweetish biscuit malt is noticable as well.A healthy dose of citric hops over top of sweet biscuit on the palate,more fruity hops than bitter.A great pale ale,it has a huge dose of hops but it's actually a pretty rounded palate.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Served in a tapered FFF glass.

High clarity orange, slowly rising trails of carbonation. Creamy cap of dense foam, about a half inch at first that recedes after awhile, leaving concentric rings of lace. Skim across the top eventually breaks, but lasts for a bit.

Pungent citrus, grapefruit and tangerine, rich with citrus-heavy Citra hops.

Fruity hops hit first, more tangerine, sweet orange and grapefruit notes upfront. Resiny sticky hops linger into the pale malt middle, clean and a little grainy. Dry leafy green bitterness in the finish, hints of aspirin. Feel is relatively light, creamy and soft at first, drying out into the bitter finish. Good malty balance to the hefty dose of hoppage, approaching IPA territory for sure. Can't wait for the bottles, this is basically FFF's 1-up to local classic Daisy Cutter.

3.88/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really want to rate this beer higher. Poured into frozen pint, bottled on 7/11 so I know freshness isn't an issue. Smell is fantastic , floral and fresh, west coast fragrance. Taste when it hits the tongue is same as smell but gives way to a belgian style flavor, not my style. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and beer is super fresh tasting. I tried it twice to make sure it wasn't an off day, but it wasn't. I would drink again for sure, but I wouldn't seek it out, just not my style of PA/IPA

4.89/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tart floral taste up front that is instantly refreshing and smooth yet strong and full. The finish is still smooth with slight bitter notes reminiscent to orange rinds and grapefruit. For any IPA or APA fan, it doesn't really get any better tank this.

3.86/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Stopped in this beerwery on the way back to Detroit from Chi-Town. Bought several cases of different 3 Floyds. This IPA presents a Gold color with a nice head and a super hoppy flavor and finish. Full bouquet aroma and sweet citrusy after-taste. Perfect hoppiness. They should call this brew hoppy rabbit as it doesn't turn one into a zombie.. very nice brew.

This is my favorite beer. Love the artwork, love the taste! I've managed to have it on draft three different occasions in Terre Haute Indiana. Also picked up 2 cases at Dark Lord day 2013!

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.98/5  rDev +8%

I have been saving myself to write my first review until I tried this beer. It has taken 5 years, but I finally have gotten my hands on this marvelous brew.

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber color, not quite the right color for a pale ale, so this is my only knock on this beer. A one finger head dissipates as you drink it, but it leaves a little tracing on the glass

S: Grapefruit, hops, spice, and floral. Beautiful combination of beta acid hops stand out. As it warms, a slight sweetness takes over.

T: Juicy, the label had it right! There is a beautiful balance of malt and hops, slight herb, citrus, a bit of bread/yeast comes through as well. Slight bitterness as it finishes, but not a palate wrecker. Very crisp and refreshing.

M: Mild carbonation, coats your mouth, but doesn't linger like more hoppy beers.

O: This is my favorite new brew. I had read great things about this beer for 5 years, and have been waiting patiently to get my hands on it. Anytime anyone wants to trade this beer to me, I will not turn it down. What a great combination of hops and grain! I continue to be amazed as I drink this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +3%