Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,396
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Reviews by jlindros:
4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to paco1029384756 for this gem.

Wow, just cracking the cap I can smell the awesome hops floating outwards into the world beyond the bottle. Pouring into the snifter just makes it even stronger. it does pour a fizzy almost 1 finger head that fades semi slowly and leaves a nice almost soapy spotty lacing that makes it look like a foam war just took place. The beer is a super hazy bright nectar orange color, barely any light getting through that fog.

Nose is just awesome before I even put my nose in the glass. It's like a wedding of Citra and Simcoe super fresh hops and they're spitting out babies into my nostrils. Going deeper brings so much fruit, tropical fruit mostly. A big citrus kick in the face with a slight orange zest, fresh squeezed grapefruit, waves of tropical fruit with some pineapple, guava, mango, and a big passion fruit kick. Damn! As I stuck my nose in deeper I get a bit of the beer on my nose and mustache, forcing me to lick it off, what a shame... back to the nose, a slight musty fresh wet hop resin comes through but lightly, and more of the tropical fruits with some nice tangerine and an overripe clementine. That's just the nose!

Taste also comes with fresh tropical fruit and deliciously delicious hops. The citrimcoe hop babies are having a party in my mouth and shedding hop oils everywhere. Awesome tropical fruits like I tried to say before my mind wandered. Anyways, tons of tropical fruits... and citrus. Nice orange rind, grapefruit, juicy tangerine, a really nice pineapple flavor. Then brings more of the guava, mango, and tons of passion fruit again. I can't tell if this beer is just ridiculously juicy or my mouth can't stop salivating, probably both. A light bitterness overall, which is nice so you can just enjoy the awesome tropical fruits of my labor. A slight fresh wet hop comes through bringing a slight musty resin but not much. Oh yeah, slight touch of malts as well, with a touch of sweetness and a nice backbone to prop up all the awesome hops so they can dig in deeper into the taste buds. I can't stop sipping this and I'll probably be done before this review is even finished. Finish comes with a bit more bitterness, a nice tropical fruit long finish, some light citrus and resin, such a long delicious finish as well that seems to last forever. Also drier on the finish.

Mouth is med bodied, decent carb.

Overall holy shit, I didn't think an APA could taste so awesome! So much fresh tropical fruit and awesome hops, like all the best parts of the hops got together and replicated until they couldn't anymore, and this is the byproduct. Bravo 3F, Bravo!

jlindros, Oct 25, 2011

September 8, 2014

12 oz bottle, weizen glass

A – Pours orange to light amber. Thick finger of head that sticks around for a long time. Mild haze, probably from being poured cold, mostly good clarity otherwise. (4.00)

S – Lots of lemon and other citrus, a bit of fresh cut grass, grapefruit. A hop bomb. Some malty sweetness on the nose but balanced hard towards the hops. Some malt thickness. (4.75)

T – Very malty and then the hops take over. Citrus and grapefruit melts into a perfectly bitter finish. A ton of hop bitterness but really well balanced with the malt. (4.50)

M – Very malty, relatively full body, just a bit of acidity leading into the finish. Bitterness coats the tongue, balanced with malt sweetness. Not a palate wrecker despite smelling like it could be one. (4.50)

O – Having had this before without evaluating properly, I was pleasantly surprised to remember how well balanced it is. There is a ton of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness, but does not destroy your taste buds. The malt has a great presence as well and really works together with the hops to create a remarkable beer. Great example of the American Pale Ale style. (4.50)

infinitebruner, Sep 10, 2014
4.43/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured into a nonic a clear medium golden with a large fluffy white crown that settled very slowly into a frothy mass.A big shot of grapefruit hops hits ya in the nose along with some overripe tangerine,a sweetish biscuit malt is noticable as well.A healthy dose of citric hops over top of sweet biscuit on the palate,more fruity hops than bitter.A great pale ale,it has a huge dose of hops but it's actually a pretty rounded palate.

oberon, May 06, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Hook up from Sir_Win in Indiana - thanks, man! Pours a hazy, copper, deep-amber color. Humongous off-white head starts boiling immediately, even with a delicate pour; lots of staying power and a ton of nice lacing.

The aroma of this beer, for lack of a better term, is fucking amazing. As soon as you open the bottle, a surge of fruit and hops jumps out at you. You dip your nose to the glass and it bum-rushes your nostrils like no other. JAM PACKED with all kinds of fruits; tangerines, oranges, grapefruits, papaya, pineapple. The description of the beer on the bottle is very accurate - this beer's aroma is GUSHING with citrus. It's incredible. The citrus is outlined with an incredible hop portrait; resinous, piney, oily, slightly floral and dank. Perfect aroma for a pale ale.

At this point, I'm just hoping that the smell doesn't get my hopes up so high only to be let down by the taste. It doesn't - this beer delivers, HARD. The hops are more up front in the taste than they were in the aroma, and it works perfectly. You're still getting the incredible citrus on the nose and the extra hops on the tongue - perfect harmony and synthesis of the senses. Bitter spikes and oily and resinous hops take over for a bit, mellowed out by the grapefruits, tangerines, pineapples, and mangoes in the background.

The hops round out a bit as the beer warms up, and the citrus flavors evolve even more. This beer is seriously insane, one of the best things I've ever tasted. Little malt and yeast on the very tail end. Not much, but really, when your hop profile is this amazing, it doesn't leave much of one to be desired. Just a phenomenal flavor and aroma profile that synthesize extraordinarily well. Medium body, medium-high carbonation, ever so slightly sticky.

Good lord. After I had a Pliny the Elder, I thought I'd never have another hop-forward beer better than it. I take that back. Pliny is damn good, but Zombie Dust is goddamn incredible. Literally, a PERFECT combo of bitter and sweet, hops and citrus, every sip blows my mind all over again. And that nose... my GOD that nose. Unbelievable. Whether you consider this a PA or an IPA doesn't matter - just know that it's an amazing beer. If I could get my hands on this easily, I would drink it all day, until the day I died. All hail the Citra hop, all hail motherfuckin' Zombie Dust.

EDIT: 4/3/2013

Finally received some more of this after putting it off for so long (thanks MCain04). I was afraid this time around that it wouldn't be as good. I was worried that maybe I had hyped it up to myself before and that I was overrating it big-time. I was scared that my palate had changed and Zombie Dust would no longer be the same sweet nectar I fell in love with the first time around. Luckily all of my worries were wiped away the second I cracked open the bottle, took a nice whiff and had another sip. This stuff is simply amazing. So perfectly balanced and so insanely drinkable. All things considered, this is still one of THE best beers out there, in my opinion.

tectactoe, Dec 15, 2012

JJH79, Aug 24, 2013

Schlais, Dec 15, 2011

xVERITAS, Nov 21, 2013

Growler shared by Dan with friends, poured into a Cigar City snifter

It pours a a pretty standard APA looking light orange, slightly hazy and a medium bone colored head. Minimal lace coats the side of the glass.

The hop presence is big and beautiful. Huge orange, grapefruit and pineapple fill my nose. It's just a tropical party of hop aromas, geared exactly to my preference. I am absolutely in love Citra hops and don't mind at all the surging popularity of them.

The flavor keeps almost the same hop intensity and adds just a touch of a malt sweetness at the end to counteract the hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel is pretty light making this APA very approachable and drinkable.

weatherdog, Jan 10, 2011

tbryan5, Mar 22, 2014

Dabeel, Aug 07, 2013

DanHarper, Jul 27, 2014
4.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Nice thick white 2 finger head. Good lacing. Beautiful golden honey/orange body with good carbonization.

S: Really pungent floral hoppyness.

T: Malty sweetness upfront followed by a nice hop bitterness that lingers on the tongue. Each sip has a nice dry finish. Delicious.

Great pale ale that seems more along the lines of a IPA.

poibag808, Dec 02, 2011
4.91/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Been lucky enough to get a few of these by way of trades from PHKrames and keithstone.
I know that Hopslam gets a lot of attention but this is incredible!
Poured into a Deschutes snifter.
More head than a high school prom. Better smelling than any IPA I've had, and I live down the road from Russian River.
Without all the BS, this is an amazing beer! It have everything that you want in an IPA.
If I was able to get this as easily as I can Pliny, it'd be Zombie all day!

SanFranJake, Jan 27, 2013