Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,438
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,375 | Hads: 8,966

Pours like a dark apple juice with a beautiful two finger head and great lacing all the way down the glass.

Smell is of fresh pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit, and other fresh citrus fruits. Nice malt backbone but not overpowering. One of the freshest smelling beers I've had. Truly amazing. Some alcohol presents itself as the beer warms a bit but this beer barely lasted long enough to warm.

Taste is amazing. Fresh citrus as the beer hits my tongue. In the middle the hops begin to settle on your tongue. Just enough pine taste with some grapefruit. The finish is piney bright hops and a touch of alcohol. Very very good.

Perfect, creamy carbonation. Light enough to drink a few but not watered down. Keeps the flavors alive in your mouth.

This beer is perfect. Easily my favorite beer I've tried so far. Just phenomenal.

Smells of Apricot citrus grapefruit.
Pours cloudy , no big head. Very aromatic
Tastes like juice
Could drink w bacon and eggs
Brew club loves the beer. We all say buy again
I think it live up to the hype
Hoppy to be a pale ale. I would say more toward IPA
I think it's fff best beer

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter

Pours a hazy, deep straw gold with two fingers of fluffy white head that maintains a thin cap and soft fuzzy lacing on the side of my glass. Aroma is a captivating blend of bright citrus that takes my nose hostage the instant I pop the cap. Lots of lemon zest, grapefruit, and lime with just a touch of sweet biscuity malt. I'm tempted to splash some on my neck as cologne. That's as sexy as any pale ale can smell.

Tastes every bit as good as my nose told me it would. More sharp, bright citrus that manages to both bite the palate and gently caress it at the same time. Impressive multitasking. There's faint tropical fruit and floral notes, but lemon, orange, and grapefruit rule the day. Also a hint of pine resin for good measure. Just as in the aroma, the light grainy malt offers just enough body to give a fleeting illusion of sweetness. Body is a bit lighter than medium, with lively carbonation. Crisp and refreshing, with a slightly dry finish and lingering memories of all the hop goodness within.

I had been wanting to get my hands on this for a while, and I was worried my anticipation would lead to a classic case of unmet expectations. Nope. I waited until the last bottle of my 6-pack to review it, as I didn't want to let my initial euphoria influence my rating unjustly. Pale ale, IPA, call it whatever you want. This beer is a work of art in every way. I wanted to find a reason not to rate it a 5, but I'd have been lying to myself.

This is my absolute favorite beer. Very refreshing and a pure delight to drink. This is a balanced beer that does not disappoint. The look of the beer is golden in color with a nice white head. Smells of pine and grass. Tastes of pine and citris with subtle grapefruit. Well balanced. I could crush this beer all day. It is a nice bodied beer that has a strong hoppy finish and a nice lingering taste. Once again, this is my favorite beer... until my next favorite beer. lol. That said, Three Floyds does good work.

A - Copper

S - Hop and citrus smell

T - Truly an impressive taste. Mouthful of flavor. (Hop, Citrus, Malt)

M - Smooth with hardly any bitterness.

O - Truly a class on its own. Zombie Dust is a well balanced Pale Ale. It lives up to its name.

I would strongly recommend you give it a try if you already haven't.

Shout out to mtunnel and zimmerbloke for sending some of these my way. Thanks Matt's. Poured into a pair of New Belgium globes and shared with tulipsnifter.

A: Nice orange-caramel color in the glass with a fluffy three finger off-white head. Ridiculous sheets of lacing. 5/5

S: I don't have the strongest sense of smell, but I was met with a great orange zest aroma the moment the crown went "pfft". Upon closer examination I get more great citrus aromas and even a little pineapple. I don't typically get tropical hop character from citra so I'm wondering if there are some other hops in here as well. Make no doubt about it, the hops are on full display here and balance has gone out the window... Not that it's a bad thing. 5/5

T: I was promised citrus in the nose and wow, did I get it in the taste as well. Clean navel sweetness with a long bitter finish works just fine for my liking. Some pinesap helps wrap this thing ip nicely. Let it warm up, and you'll get some light biscuit. Some more balance with more of a malt backbone would bring this more to style, but the beer is really damn good regardless. 5/5

M: Full and creamy with a crisp finish. They simply don't get any better than this. 5/5

O: One of the best beers I've ever had regardless of style. I'm unsure if I've been so taken aback by any beers quite this much lately. Worth the accolades it gets, and then some. If this was available near me, I'd have a case tomorrow. 5/5

I was given a case of this beer last year and have to say I was blown away. The appearance is spot on, the smell is so mango, fruity, sweet and hoppy that I couldnt resist about six of them in a sitting.

This is a beer that I would hang my hat on as being spot on perfect all around. I know people have their favorites but I have tried just about EVERY beer in this catagory and cant find one better. IF you have scored this beer high but couldnt go to 5 all across, what was stopping you? Are you waiting to find that one in the future? I think after trying and reviewing about 2000 beers from all over the globe (not on here of course) I have finally found that ONE.

This is what a pale ale in America should be. If not for the 4 million calories and a feeling that I need to hit the gym more regularly, I would have two of these every day.

Lacing is great, smell is great, taste is AWESOME and overall it all mixes together to be 3 Floyds best beer IMO.

If you have a favorite IPA or a favorite PA, you HAVE to give this a shot, and by the way, its ok to give it 5's across the board...i think this SHOULD be the benchmark.

Holy s**t! First of all I would like to thank beergod1 for the trade! Your package will arrive soon buddy!

This beer is awesome, and I don't think there are words to describe how awesome this beer is! Please drive ir get a partner who can send you this beer of gods to you! It's a must try! Everything about zombie dust is perfect! I am planning on moving to Munster, Indiana after this experience!

Recieved in a trade with Chicago John, thanks buddy for the ample stash of ZD. After reading so much love for ZD I am stoked to finally sit down and sip a few. Poured into a tulip. Maybe the best looking brew I have seen, sunset orange with super thick sticky two finger bright white head that clings to the glass leaving beautiful lacing. The nose, maybe as good or better than Kerns Citra, I can just happily sit here and smell this for hours, tropically dense from the Citra, amazing. The flavor profile is citrusy, sweet, balanced, and a tad bitter from the 60 IBU, perfect.The mouth is crisp, clean, and medium weighted, perfect for this holiday weekend at the shore. If there is perfection then ZD is it, the best APA I have ever had. Sadly not available on the west coast, happily sitting with two six packs to enjoy over the next couple weeks. Bravo 3 Floyds, the hype is more than justified.

I have to give this beer 5's all the way across. There is nothing that compares to this beer in the APA style. The Smell is unbelievable.. with grapefruit, mango, and other tropical fruits. Following the nose, the taste is pretty much on point. Excellent citrus flavors with a nice crisp citra hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is slick and creamy with medium carbonation.

This is the best beer that I have ever had. Definitely try it if you are lucky enough to.

Three Floyds only produces a limited amount and the supply frequently gets exhausted so if you see it, buy it! It gets sold out all the time for good reason. Best beer ever!

Have picked up two 6 packs in the last 3 weeks. Both packs were bottled about a week before I drank them. This is an excellent beer and has no faults. I hope with the expansion at Three Floyds this will become more readily available (liquor stores in Indianapolis get 1 case about every 2 weeks), and I don't have to leave work early to get my hands on some. One of the best beers I've ever drank, and if you get it fresh like I have recently it is unbelievably good.

Totally blown away by this beer. Fantastic clarity with a golden orange glow. Outstanding balance of sweetness and dryness, with a pungent and puckering grapefruit hops kick that is assertive yet not overpowering. Some malt sweetness creeps in toward the finish, very clean. Drinks much, much bigger than 6.2 abv. This ranks in my top favorite beers.

I had a bottle of this sent down from up north:
Pours beautiful golden with thick one finger head into pint glass, steady stream of bubbles head to the top.
Best aroma ever from a glass here with superb hop bouquet of perfection: aromatic nirvana for me. Sweet grapefruit and pine as well in there, and if somehow in a tropical way the taste follows suit. Nice, nice drinkability, finishes crisp and bitter with a very appealing lingering hop flavor. I guess I really favor citra hops!! I'm trying to pinpoint any slight shortcoming here but I'm already at the last sip and haven't come up with anything. Even though the malt backbone was nice it was backstage of the hop florality (new word) and I like it that way. I'm biased toward anything IPA/ DIPA, and AIPA is the least visited of the style for me. But of the ones I've tried, this does it. Superb. Easily in my Top 3 ever. I'm only sorry I can't purchase it in my state.

Not sipping right now so I will reserve my review for later but from what I remember from last Thursday, this was like a Heady Topper with less alcohol bit to it and a wonderful blend of Citrus (lots of citrus for you hop heads like me), bitterness (relatively low at 60), and bite at only 6.4%. It's a Heady that you can have more than 2 of in one sitting. My own personal order would put this beer at #2 after Pliney The Elder (only because of how perfectly balanced that beer is). This beer isn't balanced much it's a smack of Citrusy Hops across the face. My #3 would be Sofie, with Maine Lunch and Heady rounding out my personal top 5.

A: A deep orange look to it, great color for a pale ale

S: Lemony, grapefruit, citrus, all the things i love

T: Very hoppy tasting like that grassy taste, with that lemon/grapefruit citrus taste. Delicious one of the best tasting pale ales I've had, just wish it was easier to find in more places ;)

M: Equal carbonation to the body of the beer, very easy to pound down, left that super craving dry pale ale taste in your mouth.

O: Easily one of the best beers I've had, I'm upset the liquor store wouldn't sell me more because of some stupid rule!!! I've been searching everywhere and is usually the first beer i look for.

I can only imagine a full six pack of ZD, forget having a case. This stuff is so insanely hard to find.

It has the best flavor of any IPA I have ever had… a little red grapefruit… very sweet and floral but with a good amount of bite in the finish.

Medium to full body and soooo delicious.

@ Three Floyds, Munster IN

Zombies and hops, oh god yes.

Orange with a tight white head. Smells and tastes like a beery tangerine Orange Julius, a Tangerine Julius if you will. Or super concentrated freshly squeezed Citra juice. Mildly sweet caramel support.

All 5's you say? Really? Yes really.

Even the bottle art is a 5.

I just started drinking beer recently and while trying many different kinds so far, this is by far the best. I'm lucky enough to have the Three Floyds Brewery only about 20 miles from me or so, and I couldn't be any happier about it. Zombie Dust is the pinnacle of what an American Pale Ale should be.

I had known of Three Floyds for awhile, but one day an over-excited beer clerk gave me a six pack from his secret stash. I never looked back.

Sharp orange, and depending how served a surprisingly foamy head.

The standard to which citra hops should be held, a showcase of clean tropical fruits, citrus fruits, and a smidgeon of bubblegum.

Follows the smell, but the hops have a bitter back. Like a good pale ale, the malt is still present.

The hop oils give a good feel, but it remains refreshingly crisp.

The hype is factored into this rating, but the hype followed a fantastic beer. It is drinkable in all occasions.

One of a kind beer. Hard to find. In fact the place i work at we sold out in an hour and half the first time we got it. Nice dark golden color. Nice lacing. Smells hoppy and taste hoppy with a grapefruit finish. Wonderful feeling as i drank this beer. Overall a really great beer to try if you can find it . As always i pour my beer into a pint glass

Overall a Great beer. Bright clear orange/amber color and an aroma that reminded me of peeling an orange. Light mouthfeel and excellent strong hop and citrus flavor doesn't have a lingering coppery taste that I've noticed in some ipa's or dipa's. hands down best ipa/pale ale I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

Fresh 12oz bottle of Zombie Dust poured into a brand new Three Floyds Teku glass.

A: Golden peach/amber, small head despite a fairly firm pour. Leaves behind lacing, and quickly dissipates to a light coating. Moderate to light carbonation.

S: The absolute best smelling beer out there. Very crisp. Intense citrus (lemon/grapefruit/orange rind), pine, grass, a somewhat tropical mixture of flavors.

T: A bit stronger (in a good way) than expected after the light, aromatic nose. POW! Citra, and loads of it. The amount that you'd expect in a DIPA, but with the lower ABV, this mixture is crisp and potent, without a strong alcohol taste. Malt balance is perfect, IMHO. After the full flavor subsides, a pine and citrus aftertaste is present in full force. Lasts quite a while. Perfect dry finish without overwhelming bitterness.

M: Carbonation is perfect, medium to light bodied, while still providing a very nice coating on the palate.

O: My favorite beer. FFF knocked it out of the park with this one. Every sip starts with a hoppy, tropical teaser, is followed by the ever-so-satisfying mouthfeel, and leaves behind a craving for another sip by taunting you with left-behind hops. Every time I go a without this for a little while, I forget just how off the charts it is. Thank God I'm close enough to the brewery to get this on a regular basis, cause finding bottles anywhere else is always a joke.

Review #1!

Hazy golden color with a nice white head. Amazingly big citrus and tropical fruit aroma. Flavor is similar with grapefruit, orange, mango, and just a little pine bitterness. Balanced perfectly with a malty sweetness and body. Very smooth and finishes clean with no aftertaste. I love this beer!

Its without a doubt one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure of drinking! I stop by the The Floyds Brewery every time I get a chance. If your lucky they might have some for sale. They limit how much you can buy so I'll usually get as much as they'll let me. Its great out of a bottle but its even better on tap.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.