2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,240 | Reviews: 1,049 | Show All Ratings:
newrbrewr

Indiana

Bottle given to me by backfat. Poured into my Unibroue Maudite Snifter.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, yellow-orange color. Fat inch of off-white foam that reluctantly recedes to a thin layer of teeny bubbles. Incredible lacing sticking to my glass, as if parts of this beer are too good to be consumed. Brilliant.

Smell: Citrus fruitiness wofting out of the bottle pre-pour, and just intensifies once it is in the glass. Inviting aromas of Grapefruit rind and Pineapple erupting from my snifter. Hint of malt hiding in there as well, but this beauty is leaning heavily towards the hoppy side.

Taste: Starts out like I'm chewing on a healthy chunk of fresh grapefruit. A quick flash of sweet maltiness dances across my tongue, and then my tasters are consumed by more resiny hops. The taste of citrus rinds has the final dance here, lingering on my tongue and the back of my mouth for a good long time.

Mouthfeel: Light and airy, with a velvetine smoothness that is breathtaking. Phenominal.

Overall: I must start by saying that I am not a big fan of the "HypeTrain." Time and time again, I am let down because I let Hype tell me that "x" beer will be insanely amazing. This beer lives up to the hype. Easily. I think Three Floyds raised the bar on this style for sure. Definitely gotta grab some of this if you are given the chance. This beer is absolutely fantastic.

09-10-2011 04:13:02 | More by newrbrewr
MrMcGibblets

did some cutting and pasting here from my tap review. have worked my way through a case and a half at this point which i purchased on release day. this did not disappoint. to my mind, many beers are much better ontap, and i was worried this would lose something in the bottle. it didn't. if given tap and a fresh bottle blind it'd be nigh impossible for me to tell the difference.

a: deep gold w/orange highlights with a thick, persistent white head and lush lacing coating the glass.
s: citra hop aromas explode out of the glass-a bigger nose than most DIPAs. lemons and tropical fruit come to mind. pale malts in the background. aroma is far better than i can do justice to. i could just smell this all day long.
t: superbly balanced between the light to medium doughy/honey-like malt sweetness and the big, smooth hop bitterness. the thing that stands out the most is how juicy and fruity the hops are mid-palate. more juicy hops even than broodoo, hopslam, etc. loving the citra. hops get a slight grassy/resiny aspect in the finish. finishes dryish and clean with lingering juicy hop flavors. the malt/hop balance in this is impeccable. each sips begs another.
m: medium-bodied and softly carbed.
o: this can satisfy as a warm weather 'having a few' beer, or as a sipper-the flavors are much bigger than the abv would suggest. this is the only beer (gumball is close) that i can just drink over and over and over and not tire of it...it's all i want to drink and i have been struggling to consume some of the other standbys in my beer fridge.

09-22-2011 21:28:46 | More by MrMcGibblets
osusullins

This is my absolute favorite beer. Very refreshing and a pure delight to drink. This is a balanced beer that does not disappoint. The look of the beer is golden in color with a nice white head. Smells of pine and grass. Tastes of pine and citris with subtle grapefruit. Well balanced. I could crush this beer all day. It is a nice bodied beer that has a strong hoppy finish and a nice lingering taste. Once again, this is my favorite beer... until my next favorite beer. lol. That said, Three Floyds does good work.

10-28-2011 05:47:25 | More by osusullins
EseLocoSS

Served from a fresh bottle straight from the brewery.

A: The beer pours a hazed golden orange color with a huge off-white/khaki head and nice sticky lacing.

S: Great hop nose to this beer. Big pine and citrus peel. Tons of grapefruit with a little bit of bready malts and a hint of toast and caramel. Mildly grassy on the back end.

T: Mildly sweet malts of bread and toffee. Big citrus peel, pine, and grass hop flavor.

A moderate level of bitterness to it and a hint of fruitiness. Nice solid flavors to the beer.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Really easy to drink and a great flavor and aroma.

10-29-2011 00:10:41 | More by EseLocoSS
hopsbreath

Oregon

Shout out to mtunnel and zimmerbloke for sending some of these my way. Thanks Matt's. Poured into a pair of New Belgium globes and shared with tulipsnifter.

A: Nice orange-caramel color in the glass with a fluffy three finger off-white head. Ridiculous sheets of lacing. 5/5

S: I don't have the strongest sense of smell, but I was met with a great orange zest aroma the moment the crown went "pfft". Upon closer examination I get more great citrus aromas and even a little pineapple. I don't typically get tropical hop character from citra so I'm wondering if there are some other hops in here as well. Make no doubt about it, the hops are on full display here and balance has gone out the window... Not that it's a bad thing. 5/5

T: I was promised citrus in the nose and wow, did I get it in the taste as well. Clean navel sweetness with a long bitter finish works just fine for my liking. Some pinesap helps wrap this thing ip nicely. Let it warm up, and you'll get some light biscuit. Some more balance with more of a malt backbone would bring this more to style, but the beer is really damn good regardless. 5/5

M: Full and creamy with a crisp finish. They simply don't get any better than this. 5/5

O: One of the best beers I've ever had regardless of style. I'm unsure if I've been so taken aback by any beers quite this much lately. Worth the accolades it gets, and then some. If this was available near me, I'd have a case tomorrow. 5/5

11-06-2011 01:48:03 | More by hopsbreath
skyroach

New to the review thing so this won't be overwrought. Thanks to tsauce2 for the extra thrown in with a trade. Possibly the best pale ale I've ever had. Citra hops... very fruity nose and taste with almost no hop bitterness. Lovely fruity hop flavor. Didn't even know how much of a gem this one is until the first scent of the aroma. Phenomenal!

01-01-2012 05:34:17 | More by skyroach
Casedogg43

Indiana

My Updated review gives Zombie Dust a 5.5.
It ain't going down in score I promise that! Cheers!

Can I give a10 out of 5 for the smell of Zombie Dust!
This I'd the most addictive smelling brew I've ever had the pleasure of drinking! ( over and over).

Color is just as it should be, nice head, smooth lines while drinking.

You can smell this beer from 5 feet away, and the smell is Citrus heaven.

Very flavorful, sharp grapefruit, oranges and hops. But not the smack down of sweetness you'd expect.
Finish is smooth as silk and begs you to buy some to take home!
Best overall tasting APA I've ever had!

Thank god for Indiana craft beers!!!

02-07-2013 03:41:25 | More by Casedogg43
PeterMeschede

This is the best beer that I have ever had. Definitely try it if you are lucky enough to.

Three Floyds only produces a limited amount and the supply frequently gets exhausted so if you see it, buy it! It gets sold out all the time for good reason. Best beer ever!

02-25-2012 03:35:52 | More by PeterMeschede
Brent

Kentucky

Totally blown away by this beer. Fantastic clarity with a golden orange glow. Outstanding balance of sweetness and dryness, with a pungent and puckering grapefruit hops kick that is assertive yet not overpowering. Some malt sweetness creeps in toward the finish, very clean. Drinks much, much bigger than 6.2 abv. This ranks in my top favorite beers.

03-12-2012 15:43:20 | More by Brent
SpottedZombie

Pours a clear copper with a quickly dissipating white foam head.

Smells like tangerines, oranges, grapefruits, apricots, medium astringency. No alcohol detectable.

Tastes like it smells, juicy, citrusy, floral notes, clean finish. Medium bitterness, almost an IPA.

Overall this is the finest APA on the planet. No gripes here.

03-12-2012 20:05:55 | More by SpottedZombie
Chris585

Indiana

I was given a case of this beer last year and have to say I was blown away. The appearance is spot on, the smell is so mango, fruity, sweet and hoppy that I couldnt resist about six of them in a sitting.

This is a beer that I would hang my hat on as being spot on perfect all around. I know people have their favorites but I have tried just about EVERY beer in this catagory and cant find one better. IF you have scored this beer high but couldnt go to 5 all across, what was stopping you? Are you waiting to find that one in the future? I think after trying and reviewing about 2000 beers from all over the globe (not on here of course) I have finally found that ONE.

This is what a pale ale in America should be. If not for the 4 million calories and a feeling that I need to hit the gym more regularly, I would have two of these every day.

Lacing is great, smell is great, taste is AWESOME and overall it all mixes together to be 3 Floyds best beer IMO.

If you have a favorite IPA or a favorite PA, you HAVE to give this a shot, and by the way, its ok to give it 5's across the board...i think this SHOULD be the benchmark.

03-30-2012 22:00:22 | More by Chris585
raveskdr

Finally getting around to review this. I had ZD before it was ZD </superbeernerd>. Thanks to Darryl for bringing a bunch back from his band trip. Poured into my Hill farmstead tulip.

A- Beautiful golden orange color with light head that sticks to the sides of the glass and laces perfectly.

S - Pure fruit nose. Probably the best smelling beer I've ever smelled. TONS of fruit (mango, pineapple, and the like).

T - Taste is more of the same. Infinite mango and pineapple without being overly bitter. This is the beer to showcase exactly what Citra hops can do. Slight malt backbone to round out an insanely drinkable beer.

M - Perfect carbonation and slightly lingering bitterness that makes you want, nay, need to drink more.

O - This is probably the best beer I have ever had. It deserves this incredible ranking. If I were stuck on a desert Island and had one beer to drink forever, this would be it. Period.

04-08-2012 18:03:16 | More by raveskdr
BERNUTBAG

Only had one bottle to try, great smell of hops and citrus, nice one finger head that lasted, taste like heaven in a bottle, Had a surly furious the other day, and this one ranks just as well. can't wait to get my hands on some more of this great tasting pale ale.

04-10-2012 23:32:57 | More by BERNUTBAG
mastrbruce

This is the most wonderful glass of beer I have ever enjoyed. Everything thing about it is perfect. Nice smell of hops and citrus but nothing too over-powering. Hops are very flowery and crisp with notes of grass and caramel. Completely well-balanced. Here in Chicago it is hard to find six-packs (even at top-notch bars).

04-13-2012 20:35:09 | More by mastrbruce
Souleman

My new favorite beer. This beer is everything that I could ask for in a brew. Definitely touches a number of different notes that really appeal to my taste buds.

A- incredible golden orange color with enough clarity to know they weren't being lax on the brew process. Head pours small bubbles, which sticks around for the entire time drinking it.

S- Aromatic hops running in the glass from start to finish while drinking it. Usually the aromatics stick around for a minute after the pour, but I found myself going back to the glass to smell it the entire time I was drinking this brew.

T- Amazing! So well balanced with the perfect amount of bittering and aromatic hops. Would say that this brew touches on IPA territory, but reels back in to Pale Ale land.
This has got to be one of the best balanced pale ales I have ever had, but it also pushes the limits of the style.

M- nice coating on the tongue and works its way around the mouth like a great beer should. Great carbonation and nothing too heavy throughout the tasting.

O- Gonna have to go back and re-rank those that I put close to this one. I am putting it up there as one of my favorites of all time. I could drink it all day, yet it has a powerful punch that lets me know I am drinking real beer.

05-06-2012 21:25:35 | More by Souleman
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

12 Oz bottle poured into my 3F pint glass

Bought a case of these guys at the brewpub while on a road trip for 35$ without having ever had one, best investment I have ever made. That's 8.75$ a sixer!

A- Pours pale orange/golden and is slightly hazy only if you twirl the bottle mid pour. The head is rather large and sticks around all the way. It is a slightly off white color and is made of a really dense foam. Good lacing down the glass.

S- This Brew absolutely wreaks, in the best possible way. Super hoppy. The hop character is surprisingly complex for a single hop beer. A lot of pine up front followed up by gobs of citrus flavors; pineapple, mango, apricots and oranges. A touch of light malt and grain. Very sugary sweet as well, reminds me of fruit loops or captain crunch.

T- Taste is slightly bitter up front is super hoppy. The hop flavors are very citrus forward. A lot of pineapple, mango and orange. A slight bit of pine and lemon zest is also detectable. The malts really take a back seat to the hop ridiculousness but compliment the hops quite well. The malts are very sugary, a touch of breadiness and caramel but these malts really remind me of sugary cereal for some reason and it works really well here.

M- Moderate IPA level bitterness. The beer is well carbonated and rather light. Super drinkable and the taste keeps you coming back, hard to drink only one. A dry hoppy aftertaste that leaves me wanting more.

O- I find it hard to believe anything is perfect but I simply cant bring myself to give this beer anything less then a perfect score. This is my first perfect 5 rating after almost 200 reviews and I don't see myself giving another, at least for a long time. Everything about this beer is incredible, the price, the taste, the feel, the label art, the availability... well not for most of us but at least its guaranteed fresh. For a hop forward pale ale, this beer may just be perfect.

05-12-2012 02:28:57 | More by TwelveOunces
Horbar

Rhode Island

Simply, the best APA in the world.

A beautiful looking brew. A nice hazy yellow with a touch of orange. Thick head dissipates into sticky lacing.

Smells super hoppy and fresh. By far the best smelling beer I've ever had. It smells dirty in a good way.

Tastes as good as it smells. A nice bite of bitter with citrus throughout. Sweet malt is there, but overpowered by the fresh hoppiness. This overpowering is good and makes it awesome.

Nice and smooth with perfect amount of carbonation.

You can have your elite dipas. This APA puts them to shame. The best Pale Ale in the world!!

05-13-2012 00:56:26 | More by Horbar
OTB

Recieved in a trade with Chicago John, thanks buddy for the ample stash of ZD. After reading so much love for ZD I am stoked to finally sit down and sip a few. Poured into a tulip. Maybe the best looking brew I have seen, sunset orange with super thick sticky two finger bright white head that clings to the glass leaving beautiful lacing. The nose, maybe as good or better than Kerns Citra, I can just happily sit here and smell this for hours, tropically dense from the Citra, amazing. The flavor profile is citrusy, sweet, balanced, and a tad bitter from the 60 IBU, perfect.The mouth is crisp, clean, and medium weighted, perfect for this holiday weekend at the shore. If there is perfection then ZD is it, the best APA I have ever had. Sadly not available on the west coast, happily sitting with two six packs to enjoy over the next couple weeks. Bravo 3 Floyds, the hype is more than justified.

05-27-2012 23:15:52 | More by OTB
pearljam118

Thanks to nasty31 on the trade. Poured into a tulip

A - Cloudy dark gold in color with one finger of head. Decent retention

S - This is one of the best smelling beers I've ever had. Tropical hoppy glory

T - Juicy and hoppy up front and balanced and very sweet, wet finish.

M - Perfect mid level of carbonation with a smooth, refreshing finish.

O - Hands down the best APA I've had and easily in my top 5 beers of all. It lives up to the reputation and at $35/case, I don't think I'd buy much else if I lived near FFF.

05-30-2012 00:34:40 | More by pearljam118
DNICE555

Connecticut

On tap at the Three Floyd's. Smell is strong and crisp. Glorious hops. This is one of my favorite beers. So glad I got to have it on cask. Everything is so strong and pronounced. I can't think of one thing I'd change about this beer. I wish FFF distributed to CT. This might be my favorite beer. No carb room temp... Hell yeah! Adds so much to this beer.

Serving type: cask

06-09-2012 01:53:16 | More by DNICE555
camhack

I have to give this beer 5's all the way across. There is nothing that compares to this beer in the APA style. The Smell is unbelievable.. with grapefruit, mango, and other tropical fruits. Following the nose, the taste is pretty much on point. Excellent citrus flavors with a nice crisp citra hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is slick and creamy with medium carbonation.

06-11-2012 23:47:33 | More by camhack
GJ40

Sampled on tap at the brewery.

A - Golden and clear with a big white head. Great lacing.

S - A huge, huge aroma of grapefruit, orange, mango and pineapple.

T - Pure hop flavor with all of the aspects above. The bitterness is moderate and the malt is sufficient but well overshadowed.

M - Creamy and silky with a low to moderate carbonation.

O - This is a flawless beer. Absolutely fantastic.

07-02-2012 09:11:08 | More by GJ40
TBoneJones

I had a bottle of this sent down from up north:
Pours beautiful golden with thick one finger head into pint glass, steady stream of bubbles head to the top.
Best aroma ever from a glass here with superb hop bouquet of perfection: aromatic nirvana for me. Sweet grapefruit and pine as well in there, and if somehow in a tropical way the taste follows suit. Nice, nice drinkability, finishes crisp and bitter with a very appealing lingering hop flavor. I guess I really favor citra hops!! I'm trying to pinpoint any slight shortcoming here but I'm already at the last sip and haven't come up with anything. Even though the malt backbone was nice it was backstage of the hop florality (new word) and I like it that way. I'm biased toward anything IPA/ DIPA, and AIPA is the least visited of the style for me. But of the ones I've tried, this does it. Superb. Easily in my Top 3 ever. I'm only sorry I can't purchase it in my state.

08-09-2012 04:24:26 | More by TBoneJones
PeterMatthes

Fresh 12oz bottle of Zombie Dust poured into a brand new Three Floyds Teku glass.

A: Golden peach/amber, small head despite a fairly firm pour. Leaves behind lacing, and quickly dissipates to a light coating. Moderate to light carbonation.

S: The absolute best smelling beer out there. Very crisp. Intense citrus (lemon/grapefruit/orange rind), pine, grass, a somewhat tropical mixture of flavors.

T: A bit stronger (in a good way) than expected after the light, aromatic nose. POW! Citra, and loads of it. The amount that you'd expect in a DIPA, but with the lower ABV, this mixture is crisp and potent, without a strong alcohol taste. Malt balance is perfect, IMHO. After the full flavor subsides, a pine and citrus aftertaste is present in full force. Lasts quite a while. Perfect dry finish without overwhelming bitterness.

M: Carbonation is perfect, medium to light bodied, while still providing a very nice coating on the palate.

O: My favorite beer. FFF knocked it out of the park with this one. Every sip starts with a hoppy, tropical teaser, is followed by the ever-so-satisfying mouthfeel, and leaves behind a craving for another sip by taunting you with left-behind hops. Every time I go a without this for a little while, I forget just how off the charts it is. Thank God I'm close enough to the brewery to get this on a regular basis, cause finding bottles anywhere else is always a joke.

Review #1!

08-16-2012 01:53:29 | More by PeterMatthes
LarryK

I know it's easy to say, given that it's the top-rated APA in the world and all, but I believe Zombie Dust exceeds the accolades/hype. Living in New York I have had to move mountains to get my hands on substantial quantities of this delicious elixir (have also been fortunate enough to have on tap numerous times), and it's been more than worth it each and every time.

Appearance: Perfect orange.

Smell: Monster citrus aroma; this is literally the best-smelling beer ever. Heady is up there, but given the choice I'd give the nod to ZD. The Citra hops just explode and make love to your nostrils.

Taste: As if the aromatic citric assault weren't enough, this single-hopped paean to Citra blows you away with a palate-pleasing melange of citrusy/grapefruit taste across the citrus spectrum. If you are ever presented with just one bottle you must turn it down, because you are going to want more.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, medium-carbonation, harmoniously pleasing to the taste buds.

Overall: This is the finest beer on earth. At 6.4% it's pushing the upper limits of what you can realistically call an APA, but it doesn't matter what a beer is categorized as when it tastes like this.

09-14-2012 13:04:01 | More by LarryK