Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,326
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,338 | Hads: 8,711

From the first time you smell the hops in the glass, you know this is a special beer. Yes there is an explosion of hops, although controlled, when you taste it, but the clean mouth feel leaves you wanting more. It is evident why all the reviews are what they are for Zombie Dust across the country at BA and other beer rating sites. This is an outstanding beer that you are bound to enjoy! As long as you like hops... If you don't the it is a wonder why you even drink beer. (474 characters)

Pint glass on tap at 3 Floyds Brewery.

My favorite beer of all time!

Appearance - Golden amber hue.

Smell - Huge tropical and citrus notes. Incredible!

Taste - Mind blowing mix of tropical, citrus and pine. Literally mind blowing!!

Mouthfeel - Perfect carbonation. Medium attenuation.One.

Overall - Best Ale of all-time!!! (328 characters)

I was at the brewery on 10/3. Got a case that was brewed on 10/2. I have never had it that fresh. it was phenomenal. I had probably had 6 or 7 times prior, but this was by far the best I had (194 characters)

Look - Ridiculously beautiful looking pour with a full 1-2 inch head.
Smell - Incredible nose, one of the very best from that standpoint.
Taste - I can' say enough about this brew, incredible taste - city hops flow through the palate - I get lots of sweet fresh mango
Feel - I feel like I never want this to end
Overall - One of the best beers I have ever had, no doubt. (372 characters)

Unbelievable! Drank the first time and second time in a year later and still excel! This is one of the best beer I have ever drank, period. I rarely rated 5 stars, but this one deserves it and won't disappoint you. Amazing to see the low IBU from Zombie Dust and still delivered executing. Would linger on your buds and palate that long. Impressed. (348 characters)

This is one of the best beers in the world. May make my top 5 so far. Fanatic smell. Great hoppy taste with no bitter nice. Nice sweet aftertaste but it is never too sweet. This the perfect beer to sip or to drink 3 or 4. Not overpowering at all. This beer will not disappoint. (277 characters)

Smells of Apricot citrus grapefruit.
Pours cloudy , no big head. Very aromatic
Tastes like juice
Could drink w bacon and eggs
Brew club loves the beer. We all say buy again
I think it live up to the hype
Hoppy to be a pale ale. I would say more toward IPA
I think it's fff best beer (286 characters)

A: Pours a nice golden yellow with a two finger head that fills the
glass. Lacing hangs around for the duration of drinking and coats the sides.
S: Piney resin, grapefruit and other fruits.
T: Can you get a better blended beer? Pine, grapefruit, citrus that blends deliciously with the malts
M: Nice carbonation that goes down smooth. Feels like a perfect beer.
O: I could drink this beer all day, every day. Deliciously well rounded and a pleasure to drink. It is worth all the hype and more. (495 characters)

Anyone who rates this beer below a 4.5 is crazy. I can regularly get this and it's always a go to for me. By far the best citra hopped beer out!

FFF doesn't make a bad beer! (175 characters)

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter

Pours a hazy, deep straw gold with two fingers of fluffy white head that maintains a thin cap and soft fuzzy lacing on the side of my glass. Aroma is a captivating blend of bright citrus that takes my nose hostage the instant I pop the cap. Lots of lemon zest, grapefruit, and lime with just a touch of sweet biscuity malt. I'm tempted to splash some on my neck as cologne. That's as sexy as any pale ale can smell.

Tastes every bit as good as my nose told me it would. More sharp, bright citrus that manages to both bite the palate and gently caress it at the same time. Impressive multitasking. There's faint tropical fruit and floral notes, but lemon, orange, and grapefruit rule the day. Also a hint of pine resin for good measure. Just as in the aroma, the light grainy malt offers just enough body to give a fleeting illusion of sweetness. Body is a bit lighter than medium, with lively carbonation. Crisp and refreshing, with a slightly dry finish and lingering memories of all the hop goodness within.

I had been wanting to get my hands on this for a while, and I was worried my anticipation would lead to a classic case of unmet expectations. Nope. I waited until the last bottle of my 6-pack to review it, as I didn't want to let my initial euphoria influence my rating unjustly. Pale ale, IPA, call it whatever you want. This beer is a work of art in every way. I wanted to find a reason not to rate it a 5, but I'd have been lying to myself. (1,492 characters)

A: A deep orange look to it, great color for a pale ale

S: Lemony, grapefruit, citrus, all the things i love

T: Very hoppy tasting like that grassy taste, with that lemon/grapefruit citrus taste. Delicious one of the best tasting pale ales I've had, just wish it was easier to find in more places ;)

M: Equal carbonation to the body of the beer, very easy to pound down, left that super craving dry pale ale taste in your mouth.

O: Easily one of the best beers I've had, I'm upset the liquor store wouldn't sell me more because of some stupid rule!!! I've been searching everywhere and is usually the first beer i look for. (628 characters)

Have picked up two 6 packs in the last 3 weeks. Both packs were bottled about a week before I drank them. This is an excellent beer and has no faults. I hope with the expansion at Three Floyds this will become more readily available (liquor stores in Indianapolis get 1 case about every 2 weeks), and I don't have to leave work early to get my hands on some. One of the best beers I've ever drank, and if you get it fresh like I have recently it is unbelievably good. (471 characters)

I can only imagine a full six pack of ZD, forget having a case. This stuff is so insanely hard to find.

It has the best flavor of any IPA I have ever had… a little red grapefruit… very sweet and floral but with a good amount of bite in the finish.

Medium to full body and soooo delicious. (294 characters)

A - Copper

S - Hop and citrus smell

T - Truly an impressive taste. Mouthful of flavor. (Hop, Citrus, Malt)

M - Smooth with hardly any bitterness.

O - Truly a class on its own. Zombie Dust is a well balanced Pale Ale. It lives up to its name.

I would strongly recommend you give it a try if you already haven't. (315 characters)

Fresh bottle from a local liquor store (the brewpub was out for the day) poured on 10/9/13 into a pint glass.

A - Strong golden, copper hue with a bright, white foam. Very clear as well.

S - Fresh hoppy scent with hints of citrus and spice. Incredibly enticing.

T - Incredibly hoppy with that aforementioned citrus and spice taste. Leaves a mild, bitter aftertaste that keeps you reaching for your next sip.

M - Medium body with a creamy flow. Good carbonation. Pretty much as good as it gets.

O - Incredible beer. (519 characters)

Not sipping right now so I will reserve my review for later but from what I remember from last Thursday, this was like a Heady Topper with less alcohol bit to it and a wonderful blend of Citrus (lots of citrus for you hop heads like me), bitterness (relatively low at 60), and bite at only 6.4%. It's a Heady that you can have more than 2 of in one sitting. My own personal order would put this beer at #2 after Pliney The Elder (only because of how perfectly balanced that beer is). This beer isn't balanced much it's a smack of Citrusy Hops across the face. My #3 would be Sofie, with Maine Lunch and Heady rounding out my personal top 5. (640 characters)

This is my first post here. I have gone from enthusiast to full out addict to craft beers, especially ipas. Zombie dust is by far my favorite. I've had the opportunity to have this on two occasions and it is incredible. Citrus taste well into the beer and is just overall smooth. Exactly what you expect with the hype. (318 characters)

My perfect beer. First, 3 Floyds appearance and smell are consistently great. Zombie Dust takes the taste and mouthfeel beyond their other great beers. I love bitter beers with little sweetness. ZD has a consistent taste from start to finish. It is also one of the only beers that tastes the same whenever I have it. (316 characters)

Overall a Great beer. Bright clear orange/amber color and an aroma that reminded me of peeling an orange. Light mouthfeel and excellent strong hop and citrus flavor doesn't have a lingering coppery taste that I've noticed in some ipa's or dipa's. hands down best ipa/pale ale I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. (314 characters)

Pours a hazy amber color with a creamy head. Smell is divine and taste is hoppy but not overpowering. This beer is worth the hype and should be at the very top of any list for any serious beer drinkers . Three Floyds never disappoints and this shows it masterfully.
Try it if you have the chance. (297 characters)

Pours like a dark apple juice with a beautiful two finger head and great lacing all the way down the glass.

Smell is of fresh pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit, and other fresh citrus fruits. Nice malt backbone but not overpowering. One of the freshest smelling beers I've had. Truly amazing. Some alcohol presents itself as the beer warms a bit but this beer barely lasted long enough to warm.

Taste is amazing. Fresh citrus as the beer hits my tongue. In the middle the hops begin to settle on your tongue. Just enough pine taste with some grapefruit. The finish is piney bright hops and a touch of alcohol. Very very good.

Perfect, creamy carbonation. Light enough to drink a few but not watered down. Keeps the flavors alive in your mouth.

This beer is perfect. Easily my favorite beer I've tried so far. Just phenomenal. (832 characters)

A - Hazy reddish orange color with a nice 2" just off white head tons of lacing. The soft foam fills above the rim of the glass and leaves a small crater

S - Tropical fruits, grapefruit, just smells so juicy! Nice citra hop aroma

T - I like how they use the word "gushing" in the description of this beer, because that is exactly what I think of when trying to describe the taste. It is loaded with citra hop but its so well balanced it does not leave any unpleasantness at all.

M - Refreshing, but full of flavor, not too much alcohol, probably the perfect amount for an IPA / APA in my opinion.

Label art is probably the coolest out there. Like a page from a comic book, except shiny metallic! Since I live roughly an hour from the brewery, this is frequently stocked at my house. I just love this beer. I know perfect scores should be very hard to come by, but this beer is what changed my outlook on beer forever. I have read by some that this beer is overrated, but it is truly the best single IPA i have ever had, and what is even more amazing is that I can get it regularly. Thank you 3F! (1,101 characters)

Some beers deserve the reputation they get. This is one of them. I was lucky to get a fresh bottle and it did not disappoint.

Appearance- Perfect golden/amber color. Slight head, nice lacing. And I have to add the label is pretty cool.

Smell- Amazing. The small was outstanding. Citrus on a canvas of floral hops.

Taste- Crisp citrus start, well balanced with intense hop, and a nice finish that doesn't leave a bitter after taste. The closest think I can compare it to in my area is GL Chillwave, which is a double IPA, but has the citrus punch (I find chillwave to have maybe a bit to much lemon/lime flavor).

Mouthfeel- medium to light body. (652 characters)

Tried this for the first time at Craft Beer Fest in Bloomington, IN last weekend. Got the last serving they had. Was a wonderful beer. The color and aroma drew me to this beer. Am now a fan of 3 Floyd's Brewery. Heard this is a hard beer to find and have found that to be very true. (282 characters)

A - A light orange, amber with a lingering half-finger of creamy head. This appearance of this beer screams "Drink me!".

S - Absolutely awesome! Very citrusy and floral. Grapefruit, tropical fruit, peach, apricot, maybe a hint of sweet malts.

T - Everything is there from the aroma but with a slight hop bitterness. All of the flavors are perfectly balanced. As it warms, the more traditional aspects of an APA come out. Definitely a world-class beer.

M - Medium body.

O - One word: perfect. Zombie Dust is to die for (pun intended). I wish I lived in Indiana. (564 characters)

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.