Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,270
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,304 | Hads: 8,576
4.54/5  rDev 0%

Had this on-tap on 2012-06-19 in Warsaw, IN at The Downtown beer bar. Also had this on-cask on 2013-04-07 at the brew pub in Munster, IN (it was equally good, if not a little better on-cask)

A - Fairly clear, golden-orange with a 2-finger white head into a nonic glass, which fades pretty quickly and leaves mild lacing.

S - Big amounts of mango and papaya, some pineapple and orange flesh, pine, hop bud oils. More aroma than when I last had it in the bottle.

T - Mango, papaya and orange flesh. Nice amount of pine then some orange zest bitterness. The sweetness of the malt really compliments the fruit flavors and briefly gives a creamsicle impression. Finishes dry and nicely bitter but with a clinging tropical and citrus residue.

M - Creamy with medium body and carbonation. It's thicker than I expected, which seems to compliment the idea of biting into fresh fruit. Somewhat oily but not prickly. There's certainly enough carbnoation to scrub the tongue; leaving you ready for the next taste.

O - Just a fabulous APA although truth-be-told, it is more IPA than APA. Great, great stuff. Unfortunately for me, when I went to order my second pint with dinner, the waiter told me I'd my first glass killed their keg. A well; at least I got to taste it fresh on-tap less than 2-hours from the brewery. (1,312 characters)

4.54/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First Zombie Dust, its about 2 months old.

A: Pours a deep amber golden color. About a 2 finger light khaki head.

S: Wow, cant believe this is a pale ale. Getting a ton of sweet citrus grapefruit with a smack of hops to finish. Really reminds me of some DIPAs on the nose. Blown away on the aroma with this being a pale ale.

T: Pretty bitter citrus with some tropical fruits coming in. Very sweet similar to Hopslam IMO. The hops have noticeably faded a bit.

M: Medium bodied, heavy carbonation with a bitter dry clean finish. Slight sweetness coats the mouth.

O: Fantastic world class beer. Lives up to the hype even if the clouds didn't part and the angels sing when I drank it. (690 characters)

4.54/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle into my Ithaca glass. It poured a hazy, pale amber color with a frothy, white, half-inch head to it. Good head retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma is amazing. It has some huge, fresh, tropical fruit flavors that really jump out at you. Notes of pineapple, peach, mango and orange all come out and mix wonderfully. I'm a Citra lover, and this beer is pretty much as good as it gets for me personally on aroma.

The taste starts out showing more of a bitter, citrus rind, grapefruit like profile to it. As you progress more of the juicy, bright notes of pineapple, peach and mango all start coming out. The finish leaves some sweeter, juicy flavors lingering.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side with carbonation being moderate. Overall it's a fantastic beer. I love Citra hops, so this was right up my alley. It was so juicy and bright and so drinkable at the same time. I loved it overall and only wish I could buy it more easily. (958 characters)

4.54/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Golden straw yellow with a nice 1 inch foamy head, lots of sticky lacing.

Smell - Strong oily hops, herbal, very dank, weedy. Oranges, lemons, grapefruit. Some wheat and pale malts come out in the finish.

Taste - Starts out with a very smooth hop bite that is citric and smooth. Has a real thick, oily, resin hop flavor in each sip. Very herbal, grassy with a nice amount of caramel malts and pale malts.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, citric hops coats the tongue along with some malts and sugars. Palate gets nice oily resin from the hops. Aftertaste is light, tropical fruity and mildy malty.

Overall - A beer that lives up to the hype. So smooth, tasty and easy to drink. Packs quite a hop punch for being a pale ale, but the hops arent super bitter so its not going to crush your palate. World class yes, and unique, i cant compair it to any other beer ive ever had. (901 characters)

Poured into a 12 oz snifter

A: Orangish yellow, slightly cloudy

S: Like beer heaven, grapefruit takes the center stage with hints of places warmer than the Midwest in January

T: Lots of grapefruit hops with a very surprisingly clean, if not slightly malty finish (not very bitter at all)

M: Pretty smooth with nice carbonation, a touch watery

O: Easily the most complex APA I've tasted. Really solid hop flavor profile with some nice malts to back it up. If I could get easily, it would be in my fridge at all times (520 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Nice thick white 2 finger head. Good lacing. Beautiful golden honey/orange body with good carbonization.

S: Really pungent floral hoppyness.

T: Malty sweetness upfront followed by a nice hop bitterness that lingers on the tongue. Each sip has a nice dry finish. Delicious.

Great pale ale that seems more along the lines of a IPA. (379 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into New Belgium 'snifter'.

Pours a hazy dark orange-golden color. 1 finger white thick head that is sticking around for about the last 1/4 finger, and leaving nice lacing on the glass. Great big fresh tropical and citrus nose with a touch of pine and just enough malty character to let you know it's there. Taste comes through with delicate, yet tenacious pine, citrus, and tropical notes. Perfect, perfect, perfect body and mouth feel for an APA, finishes with a nice dryness, although I'm just looking for a bit more hop flavor on the back end. I mean, it's easy drinking, beautifully balanced, and nice and refreshing, so that's awesome, but I'm really looking for something to "pop" or send me over the edge. Doesn't stand up to others like PseudoSue in my opinion. Still, let's be honest. Pretty damn good. (827 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle, this just came to the store yesterday afternoon so I'm hoping it's a fresh batch. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a slightly hazy golden/orange color with about an inch frothy off-white head that stays around for a very long time. There's also a lot of lacing. Aroma is nice and hoppy, it smells mostly like citrusy hops (grapefruit, mango, tropical fruits), along with pine hops, orange peel, and some light bready malt. Taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also some floral/earthy hops noticeable, and a nice lingering bittersweet finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit sticky, but also very smooth with moderate carbonation. I think this is a pretty good brew, I know I'd buy this again if I came across it. $10.99 a six pack and worth every penny! (787 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After I've enjoyed a total of 3 cases of this beer over the past year I think I'll finally rate it.

It has truly been a pleasure getting to try this beer, and I've been lucky enough to be able to travel to this brewery twice in the past few months.... I can't sing their praises enough.

A&S: beautiful opaque deep copper colored beer. Layers of foamy white lacing, head stays in a thin layer on the top. Powerful citrus (peeled orange) and floral (lemon grassy) scents. Sight tropical and grapefruittyness to it as as well.

T&M: Not super complex, but quite a knock out as far as a bold tasting brew. Taste is very similar to the smell only more citrus. The finish is splendidly bitterness, clean, and dry. Body is medium and carbonation is mild.

overall: Easily the best pale I've ever had, I couldn't think of a better beer to relax with on a late spring/early fall. All the extras with this beer are nice as well: great bottle design and name. (950 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass. The liquid is a hazy orange with plenty of bubbles rising slowly to the surface. The pour kicks up a huge off-white frothy head that makes pouring the entire bottle at once difficult, and leaves sheets of lace until the beer is completely gone.

Aroma is wonderful dank hops - pine, grapefruit, oranges, hints of weed. Hints of sugar-cookie malts complement the hops while still allowing the hops to dominate. Exactly the type of aromas I love from hops.

The taste follows up on all the hop flavors from the nose. Even though it's technically only a pale ale, there is no doubt that this is a tongue-scraping hop assault - but just done at the perfect volume. It's bitter and drying, but not too much, and there's just enough of a kiss of smooth malt flavor to keep it in check. Aftertaste is dank hops and a bit of caramel and resin.

Mouthfeel is smooth and silky. Medium- to light-bodied, with a moderate amount of carbonation. Perfect for the style.

Overall, a really great pale ale - totally lives up to the hype. Nice hop profile, even if a bit one-dimensional, nice malt balance, nice mouthfeel, nice everything. Thanks to batfireman for the trade! (1,184 characters)

September 8, 2014

12 oz bottle, weizen glass

A – Pours orange to light amber. Thick finger of head that sticks around for a long time. Mild haze, probably from being poured cold, mostly good clarity otherwise.

S – Lots of lemon and other citrus, a bit of fresh cut grass, grapefruit. A hop bomb. Some malty sweetness on the nose but balanced hard towards the hops. Some malt thickness.

T – Very malty and then the hops take over. Citrus and grapefruit melts into a perfectly bitter finish. A ton of hop bitterness but really well balanced with the malt.

M – Very malty, relatively full body, just a bit of acidity leading into the finish. Bitterness coats the tongue, balanced with malt sweetness. Not a palate wrecker despite smelling like it could be one.

O – Having had this before without evaluating properly, I was pleasantly surprised to remember how well balanced it is. There is a ton of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness, but does not destroy your taste buds. The malt has a great presence as well and really works together with the hops to create a remarkable beer. Great example of the American Pale Ale style. (1,143 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Re-review for another shipment fresh from IN

A: golden/lt orange with one to two finger head in pint glass

S: Bright, citrus up front. Great nose.

T: I continue to see why people rave over this one. Crisp, hop forward but the balance of hops is just right with bittering and flavoring. Orange citrus notes balance the bitterness. Not crushing but plenty for IPA fans. Easy to drink.

M: Not to thin--just right. Good carbonation.

O: What can I say that hasn't been said? Closer to a traditional American IPA but who cares what you call it? Wears out other pale ales like Dale's. Fantastic-exceeded expectations. (617 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this right from the tap as it was popped open and let's just say I can see why it gooes so quickly

Appearance:a dark amber honey color, lactated tight white cloud colored head that leaves immedietly

Smell: like a orange grove with a light breeze

Taste: definelty my favorite part, it has great grapefruit with orange peels and little lemon zest

Mouthfeel: wow it is like I am drinking olive oil and water, but in a good way, having this great drink coating my mouth it is like the taste doesn't want to leave and I am ok with that

Overall: I see the hype and glad that a pub across the street from me has this on tap I seriously love this beer I really reminds me of pliny the elder with all the hop oil and bitterness denfintly a must have so much I think I will have a 3rd just cause (794 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Oh my, already smelling citrusy hops before I finish pouring. Vibrant orange body with a golden hue. Body appears thin. Thin head with adequate retention.

S: First noticed a strong pale malt aroma followed by a uniquely juicy fruit hops. Deep whiff is oily/resiny.

T: Pungent, hint of tangerine pucker, softly sweet as strawberries, tropical taste of mango. All the malts do is give strong support to launch such potent hop flavors, definitely strong but not struggling for attention.

M: Slightly dry lingering, seems well attenuated by the higher alcohol and lighter body. Carbonation is subtle but lively. Hop bitterness is mild at most.

O: The beer itself does not blow me away as it is straight forward, not much complexity. However, I am extremely impressed the way the hops are showcased. FFF does something unique in their hopping process that other breweries do not replicate, and that does include the wild hop bombs of Sierra Nevada, DFH, Russian River... (974 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in a monster box from Maximumu13. Thanks again.

Poured from a bottle, unknown freshness

A - Significant 3-4 inch head of foam on top of a transparent honey type color. Not much else to say, looks like it should.

S - just tons and tons of floral and citrus hops. Orange and lemon peels, grassy type notes, some really thick juicy type citrus in there as well. Really rich spectrum of smells without being overbearing.

T - Really awesome. Balance! Follows the nose almost exactly, without the grass notes. Basically, just see the smell description. Again, just great balance. Just exactly enough bitterness to make it crisp. This is awesome, you could drink about a million of these and keep enjoying.

M - Nailed it. Medium carb, really get presentation of the hop.

O - Pretty much lives up to the hype. It definitely deserves the top spot among pale ales, as it absolutely nails the style. (903 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My local liquor store gave me a bottle of Zombie Dust. They have been doing this about every time I go in there because they say I am a good customer. :-) Normally, IPA's, APA's are not on my radar because I normally don't prefer hoppy beer.
I notched my score up because I think someone who does like this style would probably love this beer. The smell is great. It has that grassy hop taste that is common to this style. But there is something silky smooth about Zombie Dust. It's aftertaste isn't just an aftertaste. It's more like this green velvet over coat for your tongue and the roof of your mouth. That's what really strikes me it's not merely an aftertaste but a coating you can feel and taste long after you've swallowed. I've never experienced such an amazing, live aftertaste. Zombie Dust is very hoppy, floral, kind of fruity and very tasty. (856 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first time trying this finally, got a few bottles in a trade. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a clear amber color with a half fingers worth of off-white head that sticks around for awhile.

S- Awesome smelling beer. Instant citrus and pine hop notes upon popping the cap.

T- Very hopped up for an APA. Pine notes carry over in the taste more so than the citrus to me.

M- Medium to high carbonation, bitter with a dry finish, refreshing and extremely drinkable.

Zombie Dust is a great beer, pushes the limit on an American Pale Ale. (554 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%

A: A cloudy reddish amber pour, big fluffy offwhite head. Great retention and lacing.

S: Pure citrus. Possibly a little pine?

T: More sweet, delicious citrus up front. Super smooth, creamy almost. Almost nothing past the aftertaste.

M: Medium body, smooth and clean as mentioned. Cannot be understated, feels amazing in the mouth.

O: Hard to describe this one. It's not a super hoppy DIPA or a big roasty RIS. It's just right. It has to be the most drinkable beer I've had. Just smooth, clean with some nice citrus and enough malt backbone to balance it out. I thought Alpha King was the best APA I've ever had but I think FFF has broken their own highwater mark. (668 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My sister-in-law was nice enough to bring me a few of these (fresh) from Chicago. I've always been a fan of Three Floyds, and I was happy to finally try this- it did not disappoint. Beautiful beer, with a burnished gold color contrasted with a stark white head that leaves some decent lacing. Citrus and herbal aromas with a touch of grain. Clean and fresh smelling. The taste is where it's at. Clean citrus and a touch of clean sweet malt. Candied grapefruit peel followed by a long spicy hop finish. All very pleasant and quaffable. I'd drink this all the time if I had access to it. (585 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I definitely have an older bottle.

This beer looks nice, but the bang I was expecting was not there. The smell was severely lacking, the mouthfeel was weak, and the taste was blah.

I don't know if I received a bad bottle, or if my taste has changed due to the fact that I have been exclusively bee drinking stouts over the last couple of month.

I will revisit this review again in the future.

UPDATE - 01/27/15

I finally received a fresh bottle. This deserves the world-class rating. Everything is good to go. The smell, taste, and feel are up there with the big boys. (577 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%

A 12 ounce bottle from inlimbo77; thank you very much Bill! Poured into a Deschutes tulip glass.

Pours much darker than anticipated for a pale ale, being a burnt orange, copper color with darker brown/gold hues. About an inch of fluffy, bubbly white head develops, but dissipates slightly faster than anticipated; minimal lacing, but nice legs in the surface of the liquid.

It smells of heaven, if heaven were laden with hops (which I believe it is). Pine, earth, grapefruit, lemon, orange, touches of coriander and spice, straw, various golden grains, and a bouquet of floral aromas all great the nose in the most appealing thing I've encountered in some time. I wish everything I owned smelled like this; I wish I smelled like this.

The taste does not dissapoint. A brief introduction to citrus precedes a near immediate blast of bittering hops, bringing forth the pine, earthen, and floral notes subsequently. Aftert the hops, the citrus reappears in front of the aforementioned grains. Notable traces of the spice from the hops are detectable throughout.

Mouthfeel is spot on; crisp and light on the tongue, a refreshing, invigorating swallow, and clean finish.

Overall, this is much more hopped than I would expect an APA to be (I think this is more aptly labled an IPA). Regardless of how it's labeled, however, this is a damn fine beer that deserves recognition. Make any and all efforts to acquire this one if you enjoy hops. (1,442 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Schlafly snifter.

A - Pours a slightly hazy nice orange color with some nice copper hints. There is a nice 1 inch off-white head that is very dense and sticky. Very nice looking beer.

S - Wow. Sweet mango and tangerines and some nice citra notes. There is some slight pine notes and resiny notes. Aroma is soo attractive. There is some slight malty and bready notes. Very nice toasted grain notes are present.

T & M - Flavor starts off with some nice citric qualities. Very nice orange peel notes with some tangerine and slight mango sweetness. The beer is nice and refreshing. Very light yet flavorful. There is some nice toasty malt grain notes mixed in with the citrus notes. There is some nice slight pine notes in the flavor as well but its mostly a delicious citrus bomb. The finish is nice and bitter with some slight sticky sweetness and resin notes on the backend. Very good brew. Mouthfeel is nice and light with some crisp carbonation.

O - Very good brew. The Citra hops really shine. Good FFF brew. (1,030 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: A golden yellow with a minimal ivory head. There is some haze present.

S: Citra sums it up nicely. There are some caramel notes present as well.

T: More hoppy then malty by a long way. Citrus is the only dimension to the hops. There are some pleasant caramel notes from the malts as well.

M: What I would expect a great pale ale to be. High carbonation as well.

O: Great beer. Worth trading for but don't give up too much. (429 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer received in a trade, bottling date unknown. Poured into a small snifter.

Appearance- Creamy layer of head that fades into a thin, eventually-dissolving ring. Head returns willingly with some swirling. Beautiful orange hue is incredibly appetizing. Very nice looking beer.

Smell- Orange zest, lemon rinds, sweet malts, and citra hops.

Taste- Juicy hop fruits explode onto the palate. These are balanced nicely by a nice sweet malt backbone that goes toe-to-toe with the hops. I keep expecting a bitter edge at the end, but it doesn't come. I'm not sure if this is super fresh, but I like it all the same (I love beers with assertive hops and malt bases to back them up).

Mouthfeel- Pitch perfect carbonation levels and the beer rolls around the mouth in a creamy fashion.

Overall- Great beer. Amazing for the style, and I could drink probably 20 in a session (although maybe not at over 6%). (903 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle: Couldn't take it serious at first.. It brought me back to my POG days and thinking the best looking POG was the coolest.. I was a little apprehensive at first..

Pouring it into the glass I noticed a slight cloudiness (as opposed to the other "greats" I have tried) I was wondering why it was this hue, and then I took a whif.. hmmm.. A bit of stinkyness that draws me in.. Kind of a musty oldness that calls my name...

Once I took a sip, I noticed that it was different than most traditional APA's and its close cousin the IPA.. It stood out.. It had a great aged lemony taste, and as you drink you get that skunky citrus that hit you when you opened the bottle...

Super smooth and creamy on the feel.. So cream and smooth that its weird it doesn't taste like a milkshake.. It is really pleasant on the palate... This is my favorite feature of this beer thus far..

I have a lot to explore in my beer wold. I cant wait to introduce some of these beauties into my new Cafe..

If anyone has some recommendations on great craft beers to bring into Avocado Cafe, Please email me at [email protected]

Cheers. (1,129 characters)

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.