Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,259
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 1,301 | Hads: 8,570

I was so very disappointed with this beer, given all the hype associated with it. My friends are all like, "Oh, try this beer, you'll love it!" But this is the United States of America, and just because everyone else treats a beer like a heroin addiction, does not mean I do too. I've seen people refuse to drink anything but this and Gumball Head, and you know what? They don't drink very often. Well, I happen to like beer, but for as hard as it is to get this one, plus, the watery body and flavor of it, I happen to think this one blows. But, to each their own. This is not the best beer in the world people. If you enjoy driving to 25 different liquor stores and wasting countless amounts of time and money just attempting to find a single six pack, which is usually the limit if you can if you do find any, then by all means America, go right ahead. The people responsible for the hype are the same people who made Kim Kardashian and Justin Bieber famous. That being said...

A - Cloudy and grey
S - Slightly flowery with a hint of lavender
T - Like a rotten peach and juniper, but tart
M - Felt like I was drinking water (1,128 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -59.9%

Appearance was fine. Nothing to write home about; no complaints.

The major problem was the nose. I've had this beer on draft form two different bars in Chicago and both times I could not finish even one pint. This beer has an overwhelmingly body-odor-like aroma. The smell was dense and lingering. All I could think about were the summers I've spent in crowded eastern european subways.

Generally I love FFF, but I will definitely not be drinking ZD again anytime soon. (471 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -52.4%

Great beer!

But it is not an American Pale Ale. Too hoppy for style classification. Disqualified.

Really, people. Pay attention to style. Styles have meanings and characteristics for the purpose of judging. Three floyds calls this an APA when it is an IPA based on the IBU and other criteria. Judging this to be a 100 in the world of American Pale Ales is like saying the best type of apple in the world is a banana. If you don't pay attention to style parameters you shouldn't be judging any beers at all, because otherwise all we're doing here is telling the world what your OPINION is of a specific beer, and frankly, I don't care about your opinion if you can't even compare a beer against its supposed style guidelines. (726 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is an okay beer. It's definitely not worth the hype that TF has made. I've tried it a few times & I just wasn't blown away. I've had other APA's/IPA's that I can say are much better. It's not a bad beer, but I wouldn't put it within my top 10 beers of all time. (266 characters)

If this beer was a college basketball team, it would be on the verge of getting upset by some lesser appreciated beer that you can get at any local store, with all the kids in the cheering section screaming "overrated." Seriously, I waited for this?

Maybe it was the first beer or one of the first to showcase citra hops, and to burst the crap out of it with flavor additions up the wazoo, but flash forward to 2014 and it's just a regular old pale ale that is as ubiquitous in flavor as it is pretentious in notoriety. (521 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -32.2%

Quite cloudy though not sure if its bottle conditioned. White head settles to a thin lace fairly quickly.

Heavy hop aroma of floral and strong grapefruit notes. A good dose of sweet malt seems to detract from the hops though.

Lots of bitterness initially which fades to reveal some citrusy hop flavor and finishes with a sweet bready malt character.

Ok, not sure about this one. Can't see any date on the bottle so going to go with this. Would be happy to give it another shot but wasn't too impressed with this first try. (526 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -31.3%

I have really enjoyed the Floyd's work before, but after trying ZD a few times I gotta say: I don't get the hype on this one.

The appearance is nice, amber meets straw in color.

The nose is pleasant enough, almost a lighter, yet similar, nose to Kern River Citra.

The taste is interesting, but not overwhelmingly appealing. The hops clean your tongue a little in the beginning, and it's okay in the middle, but this is where you start to get that hint of wood. Yes, wood. And it really comes through in the finish. To me, it's not a great addition to this beer. And it's not a piney or citrusy flavor. It's kinda generic---wood. I have it 3 times, albeit always from a bottle. Maybe on tap would be different.

I'm not writing ZD off. And I'm not hating on them. In fact, if offered I will try again. I'm not scared off of this one, just a little perplexed by the hype. (872 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle. Hazy burnt orange pour with a white head. Grapefruity hop aromas. Bitter and with bland almost grapefruit hops, but not really. Very unbalanced with little malt characteristics. Somewhat dry and uninspiring. Hey, the label is cool and I’m glad I got to try it... (272 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I tried this on tap and then poured from the bottle into a pint glass a couple weeks later (yes, from a fresh batch) and I'm just not impressed with this one. The Citra doesn't stand out. The beer is fine, but not special. It seemed to have a soapy characteristic to me in both formats. (286 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Showed on tap at the brewpub when we got there. Nice surprise, I had a lot of expectations since I love citra and what I’ve heard from it. Aroma: This one is all hops: earthy, citrus and soap. Appearance: Pale orange with small head. Flavors: Light, some tropical fruits. Feels likes there is no backbone. Palate: Quite dry but too watery. Overall: Expectations were not met. (377 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -28.4%

Thanks to a Tsauce2 who got a co-worker of mine a six pack from the 3floyds.

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Pint glass

Zombie Dust has a glowing orange appearance. The head quickly dissipates and less than a millimeter of foam is left around the edge of the top of the beer.

The scents I've picked up from this beer include lots of citrus fruits, lemon, grapefruit, orange.

Taste is pretty good with only a slight touch of bitterness that doesn't linger long enough to throw off the overall taste of the brew. All the citrus components in the scent are there with the taste as well. The alcohol is hidden very well also.

Mouthfeel is easy going down, very smooth and velvety for an APA.

Overall- I enjoyed this brew but I didn't really find anything too incredibly special about it. I enjoy most of the beers this brewery puts out but all the hype I've heard about Zombie Dust just didn't live up to my expectations. (933 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -27.3%

This is a nice APA, that is very drinkable but there are better American pales out there and for all the hype this beer gets I was thoroughly disappointed. Really nice hoppy nose and good bitterness but the mouth feel and finish disappoint this hoppy pale ale fan. In the end slightly above average 85pt beer. (309 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -24.2%

Overall I was dissapointed. With all the great ratings I wS expecting something exceptional. it is cloudy and very citrousy. It is a good beer, but be ready to pucker up on some excessive hops (195 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Zombie Dust on tap at Pony Bar, New York City.

Appearance: Served in an 8-oz glass, the Dust comes with barely any head, and what's there dies almost instantly, leaving only a white rim around the glass. Very transparent amber/orange color. reminds me of Nugget Nectar (but not as good). Low carbonation but great lacing.

Smell: Enticing mild sweetness, floral. Honeysuckle. Some malt, dripping honey. Barbeque ribs and a faint savoriness. A bit of tropics (mango?). Nice enough, but far from amazing.

Taste: Again, rather uninspiring. Thin, watery finish. Alright bitterness all around, with some stinging hops here and there. Dry, tart at the end of the sip. The Citra hops are mellow, hard to discern. A bit of warm orange juice and bread- breakfast beer!

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-low body, low carbonation. Balanced but on the boring side, unremarkable. Booze does come through when warm.

Overall: Drinkable, crisp, refreshing. But... whatever. This sure ain't the best APA I have had. As far as single-hop beers go, I have had better. For an outstanding APA, check out Hill Farmstead's Edward.

---Note: Had Zombie on tap at Three Floyds. Much better, fresher, rounder. Still, not the best APA I've had. (1,213 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -24%

From the bottle, the beer poured a copper color leaving a generous slightly off-white head. The aroma immediately tells you this is Three Floyds. The mildy skunky hop aroma is very present. It made me anxious to experience what the buzz is about Zombie Dust.

The initial taste is slightly peppery, though this quickly yields to citrusy flavors such as orange rind and pineapple. This melts into a dry aftertaste with a mild hoppy flavor. It seemed to me that I have had something like this before. It reminds me of Gumball Head, but without the sweetness of a wheat beer. Of course the hop profile is similar, as it has the distinct Three Floyds Hoppiness.

For an APA, this is a good beer. On the other hand, it amazes me the way this beer is impossible for many people to find. As far as being an APA, there is nothing particularly unique or special. It is a little above average. (884 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Maybe it's because I see this beer regularly enough, I don't know, but I don't get the hype. Personally, I like Jai Alai a lot more. Then again, I don't love Hopslam either. (173 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -22.9%

To be fair I do not care for really hoppy beers. If you want a real craft beer from FFF try Ragnarok. Not bad, but just too much hops to malt ratio for my taste buds. Seems after 1-2 years it will age like fine wine. If you like hops offer me a trade! (251 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -22.9%

This beer represents 3 floyds very well, with that citrus undertone, wonderful frothy head, and that perfect orange, lemon zest floral aroma. It's a great beer and after finally acquiring one through I close friend, am please that it's my first review.

In comparison to other pale ales, wonderfully smooth, balanced, citrusy, crisp, but ever so slightly more malty in comparison to other 3 folyds. But to be truthful, doesn't taste much different than gumballhead, which I had just 1 night before. After trying this, I had to crack open a gumball just to do a side by aide comparison because the two tasted so similar from memory.

Side by side, the two different characteristics of each 3 floyds take on each style (wheat & pale ale) are highly evident. The signature floyds citrus is just an underscore and you can pick up both the crisp breadiness of the wheat ale Gumballhead and the cleanly balanced bitterness of the legendary Zombie Dust.

That being said, overall, I'm a little let down. This beer, even in Indiana, is extremely rare to get ahold of. When in stock, its by the 1 or 2 six packs that fly off the shelf. Every craft lover I talk too speaks of zombie dust like it's the loch ness monster of beer; a legend that's rarely been seen. I was expecting something epic, rememberable, and the fact that I had to taste this and gumballhead side by side to tell the difference days something. Gumballs are hard enough to get ahold of where I'm from, let alone this beer, that is with out a doubt, more hype than delivery. It's a great beer, but not the holy Bigfoot x files Grail that, at least in these parts, it's played up to be. Still an easy 7/10 overall. (1,673 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -22.5%

Enjoyed by me on tap at Chef Paul’s Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, Illinois July 26th, 2012 in the presence of my brother in law Mat. I believe the place had been renamed simply “Bavarian Lodge” but I still refer to it as “Chef Paul’s.” By any name this is a world class BeerAdvocate place. Anyone reading this should seek it out.
Review from notes taken while I enjoyed the beer.

A Moderate light head over a "Miller Lite" body. Really, this is a translucent yellow body. 3.0

S Significant hops to the nose with some malt on repeated sniffs. 3.5

T Well crafted pale ale with significant hops presence and minimal malt buried deep in the background behind the hops. 3.5

M Moderate feel for the style. 3.0

D/O Very good drinkability. I could drink 5 of these. Overall this is a solidly made APA. 4.0 (810 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I'm sure I'm going to get some hate for this, but here goes. Bottled 29 April, enjoyed 2 June.

Look: Hazy Straw. Nothing wrong here.

Smell: Very fresh, nice for the heat, but not really any fruit notes.

Taste: a bit bready. Good hop presence, but a bitter finish that lingers longer than I would expect for a pale.

Feel: clean and crisp.

This is a fine pale, but when you take in to consideration its rarity versus it's taste (not talking cost) it honestly isn't anything to write home about. If someone offered me one over a bud light, sure I'd take it. But there is a lot of good stuff being produced here in Ohio that I don't have to wait in line for to get that is on the same level. Another good beer from FFF, but definitely one that I would rather trade away than trade for. (786 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The colour is amber, the high head is white. Lots of lacing occurs.

The smell is sweet with citric hops, honey, fruit candy and tree sap.

The taste is sweet with some perfume and lots of hops. Medium bitterness. Floral notes and resin. Medium body. Smooth malty aftertaste with green plants, some alcohol. The somewhat harsh finish is sticky with some tree sap.

The carbonation is strong, the mid-smooth bubbles are long-lived. The liquid is somewhat light.

Not bad at all, but not as fantastic as I had expected. (520 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my brother-in-law in Chicago since we don't get it up in MI.

Appearance is a glorious white foamy head that lingers and lingers on top of a sunny orange body.

The aromas of grapefruit, orange, and resin are remarkable with the Citra hops. I love this smell - one of the reasons I love beer!

Taste is all bitterness and hops. There is very little malt to support the hops. Overpowering with bitterness. I was hoping for better balance given the incredibly high rating of this beer, but again the hops are too strong in a Three Floyds beer. Perhaps it simply too much for my tastebuds since my friend loved it. A hop bomb for sure!

Mouthfeel is very dry. The finish is bitter and dry.

Overall this one resembles Gumballhead - I did not have side-by-side, but on different days. The bitterness and the lacking malt to support it are what make these beers good to try, but not must haves to acquire again. (919 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

a - copper, inch of eggshell foam,
s - distinctly citra, sweet malt
t - hops are dominated by sweeter malts, most prevelant in more recent batches. Used to be much more unbalanced, citra used to shine, feel as if its been balanced with more malt.
m - typical pale ale mouthfeel, nothing of note here. (301 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a cloudy golden/orange color. A two finger thick, white head forms with good retention and lace.
S: Citrus, pineapple, other high alpha acid like aromas. Cracker like malts, lingering bitterness and soapy feel.
T: Citrus and pineapple up front and enjoyable. A strong soapy and oily flavor that reminds me of dish detergent. Faint cracker like malts, and linger bitterness.
M/D: A medium body and crisp carbonation. Again, that soapy and oily character is here which I am not particularly a fan of. Though a nice enough hoppy pale ale to drink on occasion.

A nice pale ale, that is basically an IPA. I have had this many times, and never really understood the appeal. Citra hops are strong for sure, but I am not a fan of the consistent soapy and oil character throughout. (782 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

People hella wig on Zombie Dust (and I mean, full disclosure, I do think about that aroma in my private moments), but to me it just don't taste like much. Emperor has no clothes. Still, definitely more Moët bellini than Popov martini and that's no shade, Moët bellini's are for reals tasty. (292 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.