1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,234 | Reviews: 1,049 | Show All Ratings:
WettNutz

Indiana

I was so very disappointed with this beer, given all the hype associated with it. My friends are all like, "Oh, try this beer, you'll love it!" But this is the United States of America, and just because everyone else treats a beer like a heroin addiction, does not mean I do too. I've seen people refuse to drink anything but this and Gumball Head, and you know what? They don't drink very often. Well, I happen to like beer, but for as hard as it is to get this one, plus, the watery body and flavor of it, I happen to think this one blows. But, to each their own. This is not the best beer in the world people. If you enjoy driving to 25 different liquor stores and wasting countless amounts of time and money just attempting to find a single six pack, which is usually the limit if you can if you do find any, then by all means America, go right ahead. The people responsible for the hype are the same people who made Kim Kardashian and Justin Bieber famous. That being said...

A - Cloudy and grey
S - Slightly flowery with a hint of lavender
T - Like a rotten peach and juniper, but tart
M - Felt like I was drinking water

02-23-2014 01:04:25 | More by WettNutz
zombiereview

1.85/5  rDev -60%

Appearance was fine. Nothing to write home about; no complaints.

The major problem was the nose. I've had this beer on draft form two different bars in Chicago and both times I could not finish even one pint. This beer has an overwhelmingly body-odor-like aroma. The smell was dense and lingering. All I could think about were the summers I've spent in crowded eastern european subways.

Generally I love FFF, but I will definitely not be drinking ZD again anytime soon.

02-09-2013 03:47:54 | More by zombiereview
MrHadack

2.15/5  rDev -53.5%

Great beer!

But it is not an American Pale Ale. Too hoppy for style classification. Disqualified.

Really, people. Pay attention to style. Styles have meanings and characteristics for the purpose of judging. Three floyds calls this an APA when it is an IPA based on the IBU and other criteria. Judging this to be a 100 in the world of American Pale Ales is like saying the best type of apple in the world is a banana. If you don't pay attention to style parameters you shouldn't be judging any beers at all, because otherwise all we're doing here is telling the world what your OPINION is of a specific beer, and frankly, I don't care about your opinion if you can't even compare a beer against its supposed style guidelines.

07-17-2013 17:37:24 | More by MrHadack
Circles413

2.91/5  rDev -37%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is an okay beer. It's definitely not worth the hype that TF has made. I've tried it a few times & I just wasn't blown away. I've had other APA's/IPA's that I can say are much better. It's not a bad beer, but I wouldn't put it within my top 10 beers of all time.

02-27-2014 07:50:09 | More by Circles413
smmeier819

If this beer was a college basketball team, it would be on the verge of getting upset by some lesser appreciated beer that you can get at any local store, with all the kids in the cheering section screaming "overrated." Seriously, I waited for this?

Maybe it was the first beer or one of the first to showcase citra hops, and to burst the crap out of it with flavor additions up the wazoo, but flash forward to 2014 and it's just a regular old pale ale that is as ubiquitous in flavor as it is pretentious in notoriety.

03-02-2014 03:38:56 | More by smmeier819
joecast

Australia

3.08/5  rDev -33.3%

Quite cloudy though not sure if its bottle conditioned. White head settles to a thin lace fairly quickly.

Heavy hop aroma of floral and strong grapefruit notes. A good dose of sweet malt seems to detract from the hops though.

Lots of bitterness initially which fades to reveal some citrusy hop flavor and finishes with a sweet bready malt character.

Ok, not sure about this one. Can't see any date on the bottle so going to go with this. Would be happy to give it another shot but wasn't too impressed with this first try.

11-15-2012 05:31:27 | More by joecast
2beerdogs

3.1/5  rDev -32.9%

I have really enjoyed the Floyd's work before, but after trying ZD a few times I gotta say: I don't get the hype on this one.

The appearance is nice, amber meets straw in color.

The nose is pleasant enough, almost a lighter, yet similar, nose to Kern River Citra.

The taste is interesting, but not overwhelmingly appealing. The hops clean your tongue a little in the beginning, and it's okay in the middle, but this is where you start to get that hint of wood. Yes, wood. And it really comes through in the finish. To me, it's not a great addition to this beer. And it's not a piney or citrusy flavor. It's kinda generic---wood. I have it 3 times, albeit always from a bottle. Maybe on tap would be different.

I'm not writing ZD off. And I'm not hating on them. In fact, if offered I will try again. I'm not scared off of this one, just a little perplexed by the hype.

05-17-2012 22:03:06 | More by 2beerdogs
dboon

3.14/5  rDev -32%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle. Hazy burnt orange pour with a white head. Grapefruity hop aromas. Bitter and with bland almost grapefruit hops, but not really. Very unbalanced with little malt characteristics. Somewhat dry and uninspiring. Hey, the label is cool and I’m glad I got to try it...

08-14-2013 12:43:49 | More by dboon
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Showed on tap at the brewpub when we got there. Nice surprise, I had a lot of expectations since I love citra and what I’ve heard from it. Aroma: This one is all hops: earthy, citrus and soap. Appearance: Pale orange with small head. Flavors: Light, some tropical fruits. Feels likes there is no backbone. Palate: Quite dry but too watery. Overall: Expectations were not met.

08-14-2011 20:20:06 | More by Luk13
paumase

3.25/5  rDev -29.7%

This is a nice APA, that is very drinkable but there are better American pales out there and for all the hype this beer gets I was thoroughly disappointed. Really nice hoppy nose and good bitterness but the mouth feel and finish disappoint this hoppy pale ale fan. In the end slightly above average 85pt beer.

05-25-2012 20:53:26 | More by paumase
Doodlesby

3.28/5  rDev -29%

Thanks to a Tsauce2 who got a co-worker of mine a six pack from the 3floyds.

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Pint glass

Zombie Dust has a glowing orange appearance. The head quickly dissipates and less than a millimeter of foam is left around the edge of the top of the beer.

The scents I've picked up from this beer include lots of citrus fruits, lemon, grapefruit, orange.

Taste is pretty good with only a slight touch of bitterness that doesn't linger long enough to throw off the overall taste of the brew. All the citrus components in the scent are there with the taste as well. The alcohol is hidden very well also.

Mouthfeel is easy going down, very smooth and velvety for an APA.

Overall- I enjoyed this brew but I didn't really find anything too incredibly special about it. I enjoy most of the beers this brewery puts out but all the hype I've heard about Zombie Dust just didn't live up to my expectations.

01-30-2012 05:09:00 | More by Doodlesby
JohnnyHopps

3.4/5  rDev -26.4%

From the bottle, the beer poured a copper color leaving a generous slightly off-white head. The aroma immediately tells you this is Three Floyds. The mildy skunky hop aroma is very present. It made me anxious to experience what the buzz is about Zombie Dust.

The initial taste is slightly peppery, though this quickly yields to citrusy flavors such as orange rind and pineapple. This melts into a dry aftertaste with a mild hoppy flavor. It seemed to me that I have had something like this before. It reminds me of Gumball Head, but without the sweetness of a wheat beer. Of course the hop profile is similar, as it has the distinct Three Floyds Hoppiness.

For an APA, this is a good beer. On the other hand, it amazes me the way this beer is impossible for many people to find. As far as being an APA, there is nothing particularly unique or special. It is a little above average.

02-26-2012 02:09:06 | More by JohnnyHopps
DoubleSimcoe

3.45/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Zombie Dust on tap at Pony Bar, New York City.

Appearance: Served in an 8-oz glass, the Dust comes with barely any head, and what's there dies almost instantly, leaving only a white rim around the glass. Very transparent amber/orange color. reminds me of Nugget Nectar (but not as good). Low carbonation but great lacing.

Smell: Enticing mild sweetness, floral. Honeysuckle. Some malt, dripping honey. Barbeque ribs and a faint savoriness. A bit of tropics (mango?). Nice enough, but far from amazing.

Taste: Again, rather uninspiring. Thin, watery finish. Alright bitterness all around, with some stinging hops here and there. Dry, tart at the end of the sip. The Citra hops are mellow, hard to discern. A bit of warm orange juice and bread- breakfast beer!

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-low body, low carbonation. Balanced but on the boring side, unremarkable. Booze does come through when warm.

Overall: Drinkable, crisp, refreshing. But... whatever. This sure ain't the best APA I have had. As far as single-hop beers go, I have had better. For an outstanding APA, check out Hill Farmstead's Edward.

---Note: Had Zombie on tap at Three Floyds. Much better, fresher, rounder. Still, not the best APA I've had.

07-19-2011 05:28:17 | More by DoubleSimcoe
OttoPeeWee

3.45/5  rDev -25.3%

To be fair I do not care for really hoppy beers. If you want a real craft beer from FFF try Ragnarok. Not bad, but just too much hops to malt ratio for my taste buds. Seems after 1-2 years it will age like fine wine. If you like hops offer me a trade!

10-01-2011 01:51:41 | More by OttoPeeWee
ZPB

3.53/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my brother-in-law in Chicago since we don't get it up in MI.

Appearance is a glorious white foamy head that lingers and lingers on top of a sunny orange body.

The aromas of grapefruit, orange, and resin are remarkable with the Citra hops. I love this smell - one of the reasons I love beer!

Taste is all bitterness and hops. There is very little malt to support the hops. Overpowering with bitterness. I was hoping for better balance given the incredibly high rating of this beer, but again the hops are too strong in a Three Floyds beer. Perhaps it simply too much for my tastebuds since my friend loved it. A hop bomb for sure!

Mouthfeel is very dry. The finish is bitter and dry.

Overall this one resembles Gumballhead - I did not have side-by-side, but on different days. The bitterness and the lacking malt to support it are what make these beers good to try, but not must haves to acquire again.

04-04-2012 20:32:26 | More by ZPB
adamette

3.53/5  rDev -23.6%

Enjoyed by me on tap at Chef Paul’s Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, Illinois July 26th, 2012 in the presence of my brother in law Mat. I believe the place had been renamed simply “Bavarian Lodge” but I still refer to it as “Chef Paul’s.” By any name this is a world class BeerAdvocate place. Anyone reading this should seek it out.
Review from notes taken while I enjoyed the beer.

A Moderate light head over a "Miller Lite" body. Really, this is a translucent yellow body. 3.0

S Significant hops to the nose with some malt on repeated sniffs. 3.5

T Well crafted pale ale with significant hops presence and minimal malt buried deep in the background behind the hops. 3.5

M Moderate feel for the style. 3.0

D/O Very good drinkability. I could drink 5 of these. Overall this is a solidly made APA. 4.0

09-17-2012 04:09:04 | More by adamette
QuentinCall

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

People hella wig on Zombie Dust (and I mean, full disclosure, I do think about that aroma in my private moments), but to me it just don't taste like much. Emperor has no clothes. Still, definitely more Moët bellini than Popov martini and that's no shade, Moët bellini's are for reals tasty.

11-03-2013 14:45:13 | More by QuentinCall
SCOTT1974

3.7/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

To have a beer that is rated so high the expectation is high. I am finding that this is not the case with a lot of hyped up beers. It had a slight skunked smell to it, little bitter note for me. Maybe I had the bad batch. I like APA's and this did not meet the feeling that I was hoping for. Little down on this one.

09-17-2013 16:40:33 | More by SCOTT1974
chinchill

South Carolina

3.71/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

On tap at the Village Idiot in Lexington.
Pour is clear, orange-amber in color, and topped by a small head that hs decent retention and rather limited lacing.
Hoppy aroma aloows only a hint of malt to show through.
This is a weedy tasting, very hoppy, APA, with enough sweet hops to give a momentary sweet taste at the start and to limit the overall bitterness to a moderate level.
Medium body with a touch of harshness from the alcohol. Seems like the ABV is higher than 6.4%. Overall, seems more like an IPA than an APA.

08-14-2013 01:54:22 | More by chinchill
GreesyFizeek

3.75/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On cask at the Old Toad during their cask festival.

Pours a clear golden yellow. Small amount of floaties. Small half inch head.

Smells like citrus fruits and juices.

The flavor is slightly more muted than I'd expect. I don't usually love hoppy beers in a cask, and this promotes that for me. Slightly watery, with some citrus flavors coming through. Low bitterness.

Cask style mouthfeel- small amount of lively carbonation. Crisp.

Would love to give this another shot from the bottle or a normal keg.

Serving type: cask

06-23-2013 02:46:46 | More by GreesyFizeek
ricknelson

Vermont

3.75/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Our group of 4 Beer Advocate members did a recent small bottle tasting of high alcohol brews.
Among the 12 brews tasted was; Zombie Dust American Pale Ale from Three Floyds. Although
not a high alcohol beer, I had just bought it because it was rated number 6 on the BA site with
a BA score of 100. Sad to say this beer was a total disappointment finishing 10th with an average
rating of 3.75. It is possible that something was wrong with this bottle as it had no head to speak
of at all. I have another one to try, so hopefully it will live up to the reviews of other reviewers.

Well I tried the second bottle and still do not understand how Zombie Dust got the rave reviews. But this bottle did have a little more appeal than the first one, but not enough to change my rating.

I have been spoiled by two really outstanding IPA's here in Vermont; Alchemist's Heady Topper which is currently at number 1 on the BA site, and Lawson's Finest Liquids Double Sunshine, which
is currently at number 10 on the BA site. However I feel Double Sunshine should be number 1 and
Heady Topper number 2.

01-27-2014 19:25:53 | More by ricknelson
SportsandJorts

3.76/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: a deep yellow/orange. Very hazy and pretty much opaque. A two finger or white head that slowly fades to a small lacing.

Smell: clear fruity hop aroma. Ranges from citrus to tropical fruits. Not quite juicy but very flavorful. Sweet to grainy malt background.

Taste: opens up with citrus mixed with tropical fruit noted. Maybe some grapefruit, but not too bitter, mango, papaya. Low resiny hop character. Malt background comes through with a honey like sweetness.

Mouthfeel: medium body. Too low of a bitterness. And not quite juicy enough.

Overall: this beer has a lot of good flavors but falls short in the mouthfeel. Needs a little bit of a bite to it or additional juicy hop characteristics. All in all it's nothing out of this world. Just a well done and good beer that is way to hard to find and sought after

03-04-2014 14:30:12 | More by SportsandJorts
Skull40

3.79/5  rDev -18%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden with a two finger white head.

S - The heavy nose still includes a crispness of grapefruit and some other hoppiness.

T- A malty backbone with a hop bitterness sidebar. Includes grapefruit and general fruitiness. Very interesting. A nice balance of the malt and hops.

M - A medium mouthfeel of light creaminess

O - A nice offering without an excess of anything, but enough of everything to make it enjoyable to most people's tastes.

Serving type: growler

06-30-2011 18:36:11 | More by Skull40
jrallen34

3.8/5  rDev -17.7%

5 hour old growler provided by Alex...Pours a brilliant clear orange, a light white head good retention...Citra aroma, what else do you expect. Not much different than any other citra beer. Nice, just doesn't stand out from the others, but I like it...The taste is more citra hops, a little orange, and yeast, not bad but I'm not feeling this as much as the citra's Its not meaty enough to stand up to the flavors, needs a strong backbone.

Serving type: growler

12-10-2010 22:04:41 | More by jrallen34
brew3crew

3.8/5  rDev -17.7%

On tap at the brewpub on fathers day.

A- orange color with a nice white head
S- faint citrus smell. Not much else
T- alot like it smells. Faint pale malt. Makes ne realize why I don't like apas.
M-mesium body and smoitj
O-nice pale ale. Not my style at all but this one is above average
Still an apa when it's all said and done.

06-19-2011 19:53:18 | More by brew3crew