Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,477 | Ratings: 9,487
3.85/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's very good. I don't believe it is overhyped, nor are most beers, but it's a very good IPA, lots of tropical fruits, crisp, dry and tasty. It's good, but after having had so many other IPAs, I've realized that the grass is always greener when hearing about beers from across the river.

3.85/5  rDev -15.2%

5 hour old growler provided by Alex...Pours a brilliant clear orange, a light white head good retention...Citra aroma, what else do you expect. Not much different than any other citra beer. Nice, just doesn't stand out from the others, but I like it...The taste is more citra hops, a little orange, and yeast, not bad but I'm not feeling this as much as the citra's Its not meaty enough to stand up to the flavors, needs a strong backbone.

3.86/5  rDev -15%

Appearance: A small head that deteriorates slowly, with a bit of lacing. Pale amber, with reasonable carbonation.

Smell: Strong hop aroma right out of the bottle. Very florid, almost too much so. Fades into a slightly tropical smell.

Taste: Smooth when it hits your tongue, but ends with a powerful hoppy back finish. A reasonable balance of malts.

Mouthfeel: Significant carbonation.

Drinkability: Limited. These are hop bombs--more than one or two and your taste buds will be dulled.

3.86/5  rDev -15%

Not only is this not nearly as good as it's hyped up to be, it's not even that good in general. Definitely drinkable, and if i could buy it whenever i wanted i might buy it every now and then, but this did nothing to impress me. Dont buy into the hype ya fockin nerds.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Kurmaraja for this one. Didn't see a bottle code. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a cloudy golden yellow color with about 1/3 inch of white head that had decent retention and lacing.

The aroma was very pine and citrus hop forward, without a noticeable malt presence. On the tongue though, there was a delicate malt taste, more earthy/grassy than sweet, and was a full on hop assault. Pine in the front and citrus across the middle and back.

The biggest complaint is the thinness of the body. There wasn't much substance across the tongue, but the beer was very clean and had a dry finish. Drinkability was excellent, my lone 12oz bottle was gone far too quickly, and I will seek out more for further exploration. Overall, a very fine brew. A bit more body and this beer would be nearly perfect. A must try if you ever get the chance.

3.86/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Serving type: 12oz bottle
I really wanted to love this beer because of the hype. While this beer was extremely tasty and well made, it did not live up to the hype for me.

3.89/5  rDev -14.3%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: golden yellow orange with a 1 finger head

smell: citrus fruits, caramel, malts, has a great nose

taste: citrus, hops, bready, malts,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: this is a very nice pale ale. I will have to agree with some other people that the nose on this beer was outstanding and since it's the first reaction. The second is the taste and it couldn't live up to the smell. But overall nice beer and glad I finally got to try it.

Cheers,
the CPJ

3.9/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really want to rate this beer higher. Poured into frozen pint, bottled on 7/11 so I know freshness isn't an issue. Smell is fantastic , floral and fresh, west coast fragrance. Taste when it hits the tongue is same as smell but gives way to a belgian style flavor, not my style. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and beer is super fresh tasting. I tried it twice to make sure it wasn't an off day, but it wasn't. I would drink again for sure, but I wouldn't seek it out, just not my style of PA/IPA

3.9/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

For me this beer didn't live up to the hype at all. It was a solid brew but hardly the sixth best beer on BA. I still enjoyed it and would like to try it again but for my money there are several other FFF beers that I've had that I would much rather get my hands on.

3.9/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had it on tap as Three Floyds brough their lineup out to Portland OR.

Smelled great. Nice and hoppy and very aromatic.

The color looked very inviting and it had a nice 2 finger white head on it.

mouthfeel was fine, just like most any other IPA

Taste. Very hoppy and more than you will find in a lot of Pale Ales.

overall: hate to say this, but did not live up to the hype. dont get me wrong, an enjoyable beer. but really not all that distinguishable from dozens of other pale ales and IPAs that are out there. I actually feel this way about a lot of IPAs, but this one in particular did not stand out one way or another and that bummed me out because I was so looking forward to trying it. It came off as just another hoppy IPA without any flavors that made me say wow. I could have been drinking a Sierra Nevada IPA or a Green Flash.

only 50 ibus, wouldve never guessed

appearance - a light orange with an eggshell head. pretty good size and great retention and lacing

smell - bitter/sour grapefruit, citrus, pine tar and bisquit malts.

taste - follows the nose to a tee. not my cup of tea.

mouthfeel - great body and great carbonation especially for the style

overall - pretty good for the style, though im not a hundred percent sure its a pa

3.9/5  rDev -14.1%

Received a bottle in trade from DaBubs and one from dwbrews, thanks guys! Bright orange color, a little lace. This had a, not bad a very hoppy smell like fruit, smelled good. Flavor was more hops, fuzzy peaches actually. This was a good beer and I wouldn't say it was an IPA but I would say it was very one dimensional and so I probably wouldn't revisit it. Still, I was very glad to have had the opportunity to drink this.

3.91/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My first dust, a buddy gave me two bottles cause i cant find any. A nice medium pour with a pleasing cloudy golden color. Exceptional head, really a beaut with decent retention. Carbonation is a bit on the lower side.

I love the smell. Citrus and floral with some bread.

A very rich pleasing taste with excellent smoothness. Light on the after taste, which my pallet was begging for a longer experience.

I like it, no question about it. Most of all its smoothness, one can tell this is a brew brewed with loving care. But to be honest I dont know what the hublaa is about and why its worth its weight in Gold. Im not about to drive 60 miles to buy a case thats for sure but I would regular have it in my bag of tricks if it was easily available.

Its a very nice experience. I bet it would be a winner with food. Like some aged beef.

3.91/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks to wildcats10 for including this in a trade. Poured into a Crate and Barrel Snifter. The bottle date/numbers are smudged, so I cant tell how fresh this is.

A – Pours a hazy dark orange hue with a half finger, off-white head that dissipates very quickly as it settled to the edge of the glass and left no lacing.

S - I was expecting this to be an in-your face hop bomb and it was not that at all. They hype of this beer made me anticipate the strength of hop aromas I get from Abrasive, and Heady Topper, however this was way more muted. Comparing this to other Citra beers such as Citra from Kern, this too was a bit underwhelming. Very grassy, with slight hints of pine and not much else.

T – The taste, is thankfully much better than the aroma. A very well bended and smooth arrangement of hops and malts. I’m mostly picking up grapefruit and pine which leaves a nice citrus finish.

M - Medium body with lower than liked carbonation for the style. Dry. Worthy of a return from the dead.

O – This really is a nice beer, but perhaps it wasn’t as fresh as it could have been. I will seek this out again to make sure I give it a fair shot, but to me, Citra is a way better example of this hop.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

Thanks to rmalinowski4 for this one.

Pours a slightly hazy bright orange color with two fingers of off white head that recede to a nice tight white cap. As is expected tons of citra hops on the nose, really bright citrus fruits and just a touch of dankness. No real malt presence on the nose. The taste is more of the same, tons of hops all over the place with a bit of a spicy bitterness on the palate. The mouthfeel is very nice, could have easily downed a 6 pack if I had it. Overall this is a great beer but I would have liked just a touch more maltiness on the taste to balance out the hops, as it is it came off just a bit harsh. Definitely worth seeking out if you are a hop-head.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

Big and bold hop citrus hop flavour, orange and grapefruit. Not quite a palate shredder, but definitely last beer for the night. A good showcase of citra hop which stands next to the Great Lakes Ontario use of citrus as a great citra showcase. Thanks Tim S. Big hop aromas.
Just as good on tap, 5 months later at the Maproom.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

12 bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Pours a clear copper with 1" white head that recedes somewhat quickly. Retention is really quite good, lacing is above-average.

S: Pungent citrus rind & a bit of a spice note, mainly black pepper. Grapefruit is present. Fresh-baked bread. Not bad, but not terribly deep.

T: Comes on with a burst of orange-rind & some bready sweetness to temper it. Mid palate features a mellow-but-noticeable bitterness punctuated by an undefined citrus quality. The finish is decidedly maltier, with more of a bready character & a touch of lemon zest at the end.

M: Moderate carb married to a somewhat heavy but very dry, almost chalky body. More than big enough to support the flavors here, maybe even a skootch too much.

O: Very, very good hopped-up Pale.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance and bouquet are both nice and promising. In taste, it has all the hallmarks of a top tier APA, but is too tightly wound IMO. It does open up a bit as it warms, but the bitter bite overrights many of the appealing, subtler notes, which ultimately detract for my taste. That said, it has amazing personality for a single hop APA and is a tribute to it brewers. If it was in my distro I'd keep a ready supply on hand.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

Had a pint, on tap at local bar. Not much carbonation or foam, smooth mouth feel, very easy to drink. Bubble gun aroma and taste, so well balanced nothing stands out. Not an interesting beer but a very good one.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

A- Poured into a laser etched DFH chalice... starts with a light head that disappears quickly leaving some spotted lacing. Beer is amber in color

S- Not overly aromatic... some light hoppy notes with a hint of sweetness

T- Lives up to the hype in the taste department. Has a solid citrus hop taste from start to finish backed by some light bready notes

M- Light/medium body with light carbonation

O- Forgot I had this in the fridge, so it definitely could have been drank fresher... none the less, one of my favorite APA's to date. Almost drinks more like an IPA

CHEERS

3.93/5  rDev -13.4%

L: Initially poured a clear amber, but became cloudy once everything settled. Good sized off-white head with good retention and a lot of lacing.

S: Vibrant, juicy, dominated by citrus, pineapple and mango. Slight muted (in a good way) by pine, malt and hops.

T: Initial gentle bitterness with hops and malt upfront. Finishes more with pine and hops with a long last bitterness. The citrus and mango pops in and out subtly throughout the whole experience.

F: Smooth, medium body that really helps the flavors develop and improving complexity. Carbonation is present, but not overpowering.

O: Very good, but there wasn't anything for me that made it jump out compared to its reputation. I prefer IPAs so that may explain my opinion. Regardless, this was a great and unexpected extra.

3.94/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I don't get the hype around this beer. Well I do actually and it has to do with a catchy name and limited distribution. The rarer it is to get the higher the rating. Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer no question. But top 250 in the world I doubt it.

3.94/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Slightly hazy, light orange color with white head, decent retention
S: Citra hops - lots of orange, some grapefruit, and general citrussy notes
T: Taste backs up the smell with lots of orange and some grapefuit citra hops. Hoppy for a pale ale but that's how FFF does yet it is still very well balanced.
M: Light-Medium bodied with good level of carbonation.
O: Very nice, well rounded, and extremely drinkable beer. Love the citra hop forward flavor and aroma.

3.95/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap.

It pours a clear golden with a foamy white head.

Smell is well-hopped with some tropical fruit and citrus and only a small backing of malt.

The flavor continues the citrus and tropical combo. There isn't a huge amount of bitterness as the malts accentuate the hops.

I had 2 to make sure it was up to the hype... it wasn't. The second glass definitely was tastier though for what it is worth.

A great beer, but voraciously overhyped.

3.95/5  rDev -13%

Picked up an extremely fresh growler of this at Three Floyds. Served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - Pours with two fingers of creamy white foam that settles to a solid cap, leaving behind great intricate lacework. Transparent golden body, with a few stray bubbles.

S - Citra hops. Just pure unadulterated Citra hops - huge citrus zest, light cat pee and pine. Negligible malt character.

T - Bit citrus hop flavor, yeasty mid-palate, and a bitter finish. This is one of the few times I think a hoppy beer could use more malt character.

M - Light body, slightly gritty texture, lower carbonation. Finishes extremely dry. Was surprised to see this was 6.2% - thought it was a percent or two lower.

D - It'd be pretty easy to crush a growler of this while watching a football game, but the weak body and flavor has me reaching for Daisy Cutter instead.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.