Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,375 | Hads: 8,964
3.89/5  rDev -14.3%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: golden yellow orange with a 1 finger head

smell: citrus fruits, caramel, malts, has a great nose

taste: citrus, hops, bready, malts,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: this is a very nice pale ale. I will have to agree with some other people that the nose on this beer was outstanding and since it's the first reaction. The second is the taste and it couldn't live up to the smell. But overall nice beer and glad I finally got to try it.

the CPJ

3.9/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really want to rate this beer higher. Poured into frozen pint, bottled on 7/11 so I know freshness isn't an issue. Smell is fantastic , floral and fresh, west coast fragrance. Taste when it hits the tongue is same as smell but gives way to a belgian style flavor, not my style. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and beer is super fresh tasting. I tried it twice to make sure it wasn't an off day, but it wasn't. I would drink again for sure, but I wouldn't seek it out, just not my style of PA/IPA

3.9/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

For me this beer didn't live up to the hype at all. It was a solid brew but hardly the sixth best beer on BA. I still enjoyed it and would like to try it again but for my money there are several other FFF beers that I've had that I would much rather get my hands on.

3.9/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had it on tap as Three Floyds brough their lineup out to Portland OR.

Smelled great. Nice and hoppy and very aromatic.

The color looked very inviting and it had a nice 2 finger white head on it.

mouthfeel was fine, just like most any other IPA

Taste. Very hoppy and more than you will find in a lot of Pale Ales.

overall: hate to say this, but did not live up to the hype. dont get me wrong, an enjoyable beer. but really not all that distinguishable from dozens of other pale ales and IPAs that are out there. I actually feel this way about a lot of IPAs, but this one in particular did not stand out one way or another and that bummed me out because I was so looking forward to trying it. It came off as just another hoppy IPA without any flavors that made me say wow. I could have been drinking a Sierra Nevada IPA or a Green Flash.

only 50 ibus, wouldve never guessed

appearance - a light orange with an eggshell head. pretty good size and great retention and lacing

smell - bitter/sour grapefruit, citrus, pine tar and bisquit malts.

taste - follows the nose to a tee. not my cup of tea.

mouthfeel - great body and great carbonation especially for the style

overall - pretty good for the style, though im not a hundred percent sure its a pa

3.9/5  rDev -14.1%

Received a bottle in trade from DaBubs and one from dwbrews, thanks guys! Bright orange color, a little lace. This had a, not bad a very hoppy smell like fruit, smelled good. Flavor was more hops, fuzzy peaches actually. This was a good beer and I wouldn't say it was an IPA but I would say it was very one dimensional and so I probably wouldn't revisit it. Still, I was very glad to have had the opportunity to drink this.

3.91/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My first dust, a buddy gave me two bottles cause i cant find any. A nice medium pour with a pleasing cloudy golden color. Exceptional head, really a beaut with decent retention. Carbonation is a bit on the lower side.

I love the smell. Citrus and floral with some bread.

A very rich pleasing taste with excellent smoothness. Light on the after taste, which my pallet was begging for a longer experience.

I like it, no question about it. Most of all its smoothness, one can tell this is a brew brewed with loving care. But to be honest I dont know what the hublaa is about and why its worth its weight in Gold. Im not about to drive 60 miles to buy a case thats for sure but I would regular have it in my bag of tricks if it was easily available.

Its a very nice experience. I bet it would be a winner with food. Like some aged beef.

3.91/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks to wildcats10 for including this in a trade. Poured into a Crate and Barrel Snifter. The bottle date/numbers are smudged, so I cant tell how fresh this is.

A – Pours a hazy dark orange hue with a half finger, off-white head that dissipates very quickly as it settled to the edge of the glass and left no lacing.

S - I was expecting this to be an in-your face hop bomb and it was not that at all. They hype of this beer made me anticipate the strength of hop aromas I get from Abrasive, and Heady Topper, however this was way more muted. Comparing this to other Citra beers such as Citra from Kern, this too was a bit underwhelming. Very grassy, with slight hints of pine and not much else.

T – The taste, is thankfully much better than the aroma. A very well bended and smooth arrangement of hops and malts. I’m mostly picking up grapefruit and pine which leaves a nice citrus finish.

M - Medium body with lower than liked carbonation for the style. Dry. Worthy of a return from the dead.

O – This really is a nice beer, but perhaps it wasn’t as fresh as it could have been. I will seek this out again to make sure I give it a fair shot, but to me, Citra is a way better example of this hop.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

Thanks to rmalinowski4 for this one.

Pours a slightly hazy bright orange color with two fingers of off white head that recede to a nice tight white cap. As is expected tons of citra hops on the nose, really bright citrus fruits and just a touch of dankness. No real malt presence on the nose. The taste is more of the same, tons of hops all over the place with a bit of a spicy bitterness on the palate. The mouthfeel is very nice, could have easily downed a 6 pack if I had it. Overall this is a great beer but I would have liked just a touch more maltiness on the taste to balance out the hops, as it is it came off just a bit harsh. Definitely worth seeking out if you are a hop-head.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

Big and bold hop citrus hop flavour, orange and grapefruit. Not quite a palate shredder, but definitely last beer for the night. A good showcase of citra hop which stands next to the Great Lakes Ontario use of citrus as a great citra showcase. Thanks Tim S. Big hop aromas.
Just as good on tap, 5 months later at the Maproom.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

12 bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Pours a clear copper with 1" white head that recedes somewhat quickly. Retention is really quite good, lacing is above-average.

S: Pungent citrus rind & a bit of a spice note, mainly black pepper. Grapefruit is present. Fresh-baked bread. Not bad, but not terribly deep.

T: Comes on with a burst of orange-rind & some bready sweetness to temper it. Mid palate features a mellow-but-noticeable bitterness punctuated by an undefined citrus quality. The finish is decidedly maltier, with more of a bready character & a touch of lemon zest at the end.

M: Moderate carb married to a somewhat heavy but very dry, almost chalky body. More than big enough to support the flavors here, maybe even a skootch too much.

O: Very, very good hopped-up Pale.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance and bouquet are both nice and promising. In taste, it has all the hallmarks of a top tier APA, but is too tightly wound IMO. It does open up a bit as it warms, but the bitter bite overrights many of the appealing, subtler notes, which ultimately detract for my taste. That said, it has amazing personality for a single hop APA and is a tribute to it brewers. If it was in my distro I'd keep a ready supply on hand.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

Had a pint, on tap at local bar. Not much carbonation or foam, smooth mouth feel, very easy to drink. Bubble gun aroma and taste, so well balanced nothing stands out. Not an interesting beer but a very good one.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

A- Poured into a laser etched DFH chalice... starts with a light head that disappears quickly leaving some spotted lacing. Beer is amber in color

S- Not overly aromatic... some light hoppy notes with a hint of sweetness

T- Lives up to the hype in the taste department. Has a solid citrus hop taste from start to finish backed by some light bready notes

M- Light/medium body with light carbonation

O- Forgot I had this in the fridge, so it definitely could have been drank fresher... none the less, one of my favorite APA's to date. Almost drinks more like an IPA

3.94/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I don't get the hype around this beer. Well I do actually and it has to do with a catchy name and limited distribution. The rarer it is to get the higher the rating. Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer no question. But top 250 in the world I doubt it.

3.94/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Slightly hazy, light orange color with white head, decent retention
S: Citra hops - lots of orange, some grapefruit, and general citrussy notes
T: Taste backs up the smell with lots of orange and some grapefuit citra hops. Hoppy for a pale ale but that's how FFF does yet it is still very well balanced.
M: Light-Medium bodied with good level of carbonation.
O: Very nice, well rounded, and extremely drinkable beer. Love the citra hop forward flavor and aroma.

3.95/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap.

It pours a clear golden with a foamy white head.

Smell is well-hopped with some tropical fruit and citrus and only a small backing of malt.

The flavor continues the citrus and tropical combo. There isn't a huge amount of bitterness as the malts accentuate the hops.

I had 2 to make sure it was up to the hype... it wasn't. The second glass definitely was tastier though for what it is worth.

A great beer, but voraciously overhyped.

3.95/5  rDev -13%

Picked up an extremely fresh growler of this at Three Floyds. Served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - Pours with two fingers of creamy white foam that settles to a solid cap, leaving behind great intricate lacework. Transparent golden body, with a few stray bubbles.

S - Citra hops. Just pure unadulterated Citra hops - huge citrus zest, light cat pee and pine. Negligible malt character.

T - Bit citrus hop flavor, yeasty mid-palate, and a bitter finish. This is one of the few times I think a hoppy beer could use more malt character.

M - Light body, slightly gritty texture, lower carbonation. Finishes extremely dry. Was surprised to see this was 6.2% - thought it was a percent or two lower.

D - It'd be pretty easy to crush a growler of this while watching a football game, but the weak body and flavor has me reaching for Daisy Cutter instead.

3.96/5  rDev -12.8%

My second Three Floyds offering, with the first being the fantastic Gumballhead. This is pretty good, not as good as the wheatiness and the extremely pleasant taste of Gumballhead, but definitely good on its own as a very solid, flavorful beer, unlike anything you'll get even if you roam the cluttered craft beer aisles at your local liquor store. Not sure if I'd shell out $13.99 - $17.99 (!) for a six pack, but it's definitely something to relish.

However, even enjoying both these beers quite a bit, I question if, psychologically, Three Floyds' hype and frustratingly conservative distribution of these two beers has skewed my ratings from being what they would be if these beers were as common as Lagunitas. There's something to contemplate over your most recent longneck.

3.96/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into pint glass , almost an orange color with a one finger head and nice lacing

The nose is sweet and malty with hints of citrus , pine and earthy tones

Super mouthfeel on this beer with just the right amount of carbonation , goes down so smooth

The taste is super hop forward , the malt kind of comes through in the middle the the malt and the bitterness comes through at the end.

This is just wonderful , the flavors are all so complex but come together so nicely and make for one hell of a brew.

3.97/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours golden yellow with a great foamy white head. Pine, grapefruit, mango, nice grass notes, caramel and lemon on the nose. Grapefruit, lemon, pine, orange, caramel, very smooth malt character with a great hop bite! Medium on the palate with a balanced malt and pine citrus finish.

3.97/5  rDev -12.6%

A nice intersection between a good label, name, and beer. It does have a really lipsmacking fruit flavor, but there is no malt and the flavor drops off almost immediately. The hazy burnt orange is indeed great looking and the beer sports a wonderful egg-shell white head that sticks around for the entirety of the beers consumption.

Don't let the hype tell you that this is one of the finest beers ever made, but also make no mistake that this is a good beer and maybe a great one. I think its telling that if I could just walk into a liquor store and pick this up on the regular I would, especially in the summer months.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The first sip is phenomenal. After that, I felt like it was a pretty garden variety apa. It's good, but I've had it twice now and I do noses what the fuss is about. I love the smell, and the taste is very hop forward.

3.99/5  rDev -12.1%

Aroma is amazing! Pear, guava, papaya, mango, all these other tropical scents are coming off this beer, and I love it! I know those are all hop-derived scents, but I can't even detect any malt on the nose.

Hazy golden/orange color with lots of visible carbonation and a crisp white bubbly head that quickly dissipates but leaves nice lacing.

The same tropical fruits in the aroma come across on the palate too. Big on papaya and guava, and some passion fruit. All of these flavors are bold, and right upfront but mid palate, and the finish don't really bring much of anything. These flavors are gone as quickly as they built up.

Moderate amount of carbonation, and a moderate body. The beer finishes quite dry but with no lingering flavors, it's just.. dry. While this is a good beer, I believe it is over-hyped a bit.

3.99/5  rDev -12.1%

Bottle marked ?0810W20115 0 (so maybe august 10th, maybe 201st day, end of July):
I have had a small sample of this before, and will balance that tasting with this review.

Appearance is more orange than gold, decent head on pour, receding to the edges, but quick to return with agitation. Beer is cloudy to being almost opaque initially, some clearing.

Nose is lightly dank on this pour, I recall it being stronger on my previous sample. Some amount of resiny pine still comes through with grapefruit and maybe some pineapple notes.

Taste is nice, not balanced but appears that way. Mostly sticking to the classic citrus notes, but backed up by the green grapefruit pith, almost dank, bitterness Citra can give off. The citrus comes through a little more in this pour than I recall from my tasting.

Nice carbonation, medium body, enjoyable feel overall.

A very well made APA that definitely bleeds into IPA territory. Will always welcome this beer when I get a chance.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.