Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 3,901
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros

Bottle date 5/6/14

A: Pours a golden honey with a solid white head.

S: Array of tropical fruit no luring pineapple, grapefruit and orange. Notes of pine and bread.

T: Bitter pine, grapefruit, pineapple and touch of whitepepper.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation and a slight oily feel.

O: a solid pale ale that I have had before, though this is the freshest I've had of ZD.
The pepper taste lingers and is a bit prominent for my preferred taste profile.

4.05/5  rDev -12.1%

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the greatest person to trust the review of. Being new to the beer game I wouldn't fully trust myself either. But I finally had the opportunity to enjoy a bottle of Zombie Dust, which has gained a special mystique in Indiana.

The limited supply and availability make everyone crave this beer, however I agree with Bishop that it is semi-overrated. It is a delicious beer with a cool crisp drink, nice hazy color, and a terrific nose. However, my friend who hates IPA and Pale Ales enjoyed this beer more than myself.

It is delicious with a great taste, nose, and finish, but I would not rank it top 250 either.

4.05/5  rDev -12.1%

I've had this on draft and several times from the bottle. I much prefer it on draft I might add.

A-Pretty standard pour for a pale ale. Dark orange body with a creamy 1 finger head that hangs around for a while.

S-Lots of lemon zest and pine up front and a floral mix of hops.

T-Bitter grape fruit with some pepper and orange peel almost. Quite the bite from the hops.

M-Pretty drinkable overall. A little too bitter to session but nonetheless a classy pale ale. Very creamy and carbonation is a little much for my taste.

O-Zombie Dust is an awesome beer. Great art, good price and tastes nice. It is probably one of the best pale ales out there but I found the bitterness to be overly accentuated.

poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-ochre colored with about a finger of head that fades leaving some nice lacing

S-lots of citrus hops grapefruit mostly with some orange and lemon with just a hint of malt

T-hops dominate again grapefruit is present throughout along with the orange hiding any malt that tries to come throgh

M-good carbonation with light to medium body

O-going according to style I find it to be much more hop centered than an APA but as an IPA I would rate higher

4.05/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev -12.1%

12 oz. bottle from Woodchopper. pours a honey gold with a one finger head, fades to spotty lace. the nose on this one is off the charts, full of orange, mango and apricot. taste is sweet caramel malt with a nice balance of lingering yet mild bitterness. very nice and I’d love to sit down and have 2 or 3 of these, but if I had to choose between this and Alpha King, I’d go with with the King.

4.05/5  rDev -12.1%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap (and nice art, for that matter) served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given its current ratings and the hype surrounding it. I believe this is my first purely Three Floyds review - though I did have the Boogoop collaboration. No visible bottled on date.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm slightly over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted pretzels.

Some foam ballooned out when I opened it, but there wasn't any upsurge of beer or anything. It might be a bit overcarbonated.

A: Pours a three finger luscious beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention. Body colour is a hazy copper-gold. Vibrant and appealing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Delightful floral hops and some lemon citrus twang. Grapefruit. Lemongrass, lemon zest. Hints of pine. Pale clean malts. A good balance of floral and citrus hop notes. I'm excited to try it, but the aroma itself isn't blowing me away. A moderate strength aroma, and a pleasant and fresh one.

T: Delightful floral hops throughout, but with an underlying soapy hint (maybe a bit too long spent in primary?). It's a minor issue, but it does distract. Some pleasant grapefruit and lemon citrus esters introduce themselves mid-second act and hang around through the climax. Pale malts provide the clean, unobtrusive foundation - letting the hops take the forefront but also giving a bit of sweetness to hide the hop bitterness. I actually get a bit of alcohol warmth in the stomach - shocking at its mere 6.40%, but I'd consider this a pleasant warming sensation in the winter. Hints of a candi sugar like sweetness beneath the surface. It's very nicely balanced and rather refreshing. Delightfully built. I'm not blown away by its complexity, but it's well put together and succeeds within the style. I get no yeasty notes. A bit too much buttery character on the finish.

Maybe I expect a hoppy character on par with a good IPA, but I have to remember it's a pale ale. It's a masterfully brewed one at that, but I do think there's room for more complexity within the style.

Mf: Chewy, smooth, soft, wet. Carbonation and thickness are ideal. Good presence on the palate. Has enough body to present its flavours. Refreshing. Slightly oily. Even a touch buttery - too much so on the finish.

Dr: Probably its best attribute is its high drinkability. I could down this one all night. Dangerously drinkable. It's a great pale ale - amongst the best I've had - but I have to admit I expected more given the hype. It's not a perfect beer as its current 100 rating might suggest. It doesn't hide its relatively modest ABV all that well, and it doesn't bring the complexity I think a perfect beer in this style would. I'm glad I got to try it and I'd definitely have it again - preferably fresh on draught. I want another already. Wow. I can't wait to try more beers from Three Floyds.

Constructively, I will say that its main flaw is that it uses a buttery quality to hide the hop bitterness on the finish. It works here, but lacks the seamless subtlety of more masterful brews. A great example of the style would integrate its hop bitterness as a positive characteristic. It's tough to do here because this is a pale ale with the hoppiness of an IPA but not enough of a malty backbone. I appreciate the experimentation within the style, but with some work this could be truly amazing.

B+

Best consumed sans food, or perchance with some unsalted pretzels or bread.

Serve cold.

A poor candidate for aging. Drink fresh.

----

Taking some more notes on this having received a bottle from the gracious Duff27 in a trade.

A: Pours a soft appealing frothy head of good cream. Body colour is a vibrant pale copper. Appearance is good for the style, but not special or unique.

Sm: Hoppy and bready, with hop character of juicy citrus, light grassy character, grapefruit, lemon zest, light pine, and heavy floral character. It's a bit murky yet still fresh; maybe it's a bit too grassy. Pleasant. I don't get any yeast or alcohol.

T/Mf: Juicy bursts of refreshing citrus hop notes and nectary character. Ideal crisp pale malt foundation. Smooth and wet. Very refreshing and pleasant to drink - a highlight of the beer. Delightfully well balanced and built, with impressive subtlety for the style. Not as grassy as the aroma. Clean. Good carbonation. It's not biting or sharp. Hop-forward without being too assertive or overbearing; they packed a lot of flavour in here.

Dr: Extremely high. I could easily chug this. Very impressive. I could stick with this all night and never grow tired of it. Quite delightful. This was definitely more fresh than the first bottle I reviewed.

A-

4.05/5  rDev -12.1%

Thanks to my beer buddy Eric for GIVING me a bottle since I've been soooo unlucky in my quest for this beer.

Clear copper in color Good head and a constant foam for all twleve ounces. Nice stickage too. OK bubbling.

Super bright citrus aroma, Citra hop showcased
well. Maks me think nof a mango and grapefruit had a babay, thats what it would smell like. The Citra hop dominates the aroma completely. No room for any malt aroma here. Not a bad aroma, just a little overwhelming.

Full on tropical fruit (mango, pineapple..), pine, and grapefruit hop flavors. Maybe some biscuits popping up here and there in the flavor profile. Good hop flavor, just a little overwhelmed.

Resiny palate through and through. This citric flavor bomb is very easy to drink and worth drinking a few at a time, but not too many for me. My palate would be overwhelmed with citrus for weeks.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a golden amber. Not much nose that I can appreciate. Could be transport/winter weather. Taste is sharp piney hop profile that is reminiscent of Pliny. There is a mild and pleasant astringency. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and appropriate. Would drink this regularly if I could get it!

4.06/5  rDev -11.9%

Very good beer, but HIGHLY overrated. There are dozens of equally good IPA's, including better ones from 3 Floyds.

4.06/5  rDev -11.9%

No date on it that I can find. An extra from a trade, so no idea. Duvel Tulip.

A - A nicely carbonated beer. About two fingers of large bubble just off-white head that sticks around a while. Body is cloudy and a wonderful orange/wheat color. As the head falls, a strong beautiful lace remains. Stunning beer.

S - Citra hops. Sweet pine. Simple and delicious.

T - Again the citra comes through immediately. A little bitter. Strong pine and slight grapefruit rind. Some orange.

M - Great carbonation and strong body for an IPA. Good.

O - A great citra hops beer. Simple all over, but nicely made. I would like to do a tasting of all these top IPAs sometime to see how they stack up against each other. There are so many similarities, it is hard when they are not tasted together.

4.07/5  rDev -11.7%

Zombie Dust starts it off right with a bright white fluffy head and a coppery/orange hue. There's an iridescent cloudiness that really impresses.

The most fragrant Pale Ale I've ever experienced, there is a fruity hoppiness but its far more complex than just that. There's citrus scents; orange, mango, tangerine, lemon and melon. There's also some unusual aromas like flowers or perfumes and a touch of pine. The scent is absolutely incredible!

Zombie Dust is very piney on the tongue, like an IPA. There's a hint of honey, which is nice, and onion, which is off-putting. There's an earthy tone, must be the hops, but very little fruit. I can appreciate this for the complex nature in taste but the tastes are not my favorite complexities.

The mouth is smooth and light but a bit metallic in the end.

I like this a lot but hoped the taste mimicked the smell and it never fulfilled that for me.

4.07/5  rDev -11.7%

A: Copper in color, firm looking, thin white head of foam

N: Citrus hop bomb up front, tangerines, hop oil, resin, some toasted bread with a slight honey-ish twang.

T/M: Clean spritzy, citrus hops, dominant tangy hop flavors, lemon peel, almost wheat like and refreshing but with a great hop resin that strongly sticks on the palate. The hops eventually give way to more of that great toasted honey-ish character that I find in a lot of FFF beers; subtle notes of fresh pears, pineapple and tangerine.

D: Would make a great lawnmower beer if you're in the mood for a little assertive hop character to go along with that refreshing, spritzy quality.

4.07/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a super fresh growler into a pint glass-

Appearance- Rich gold color with a nice 2 finger head. Decent lacing.

Aroma- Pure Citra hops goodness. Loads of citrus jumping out of the glass.

Taste- Fresh hop taste. Not much malt balance here but for me that is okay when the beer is fresh. Honestly reminds me a bit of Surly Wet in this regard.

Mouthfeel- A little thin, but overall pretty avg for a APA.

Drink- I plan on finishing this growler watching the Eagles v Giants game today.

4.07/5  rDev -11.7%

Thanks to inlimbo77 for this great extra, a true gentleman of beer trades...

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Mother Earth pint glass.

A ~ Orange/Hazel look with a 1 finger white head, no lacing.

S ~ Strong citrus scent, but really not overpowering. Pleasently greeted by pine, hop, orange notes.

T ~ Peppery burnt grapefruit start that fades into a citrus after taste. Carbination is good, but a little strong up front. Surprisingly piney with a hint of orange as well.

M ~ Thick and surprisingly creamy but I can't get past the carbonation. It's thicker than I expected, which catches you off guard since the look is more clear than a traditional American Pale Ale.

O ~ I love hoppy beers and to be an American Pale Ale, this one is hoppy! Reminds me of an IPA that isn't as overpowering with floral if that makes sense? Good overall beer that would be a go to if it were distributed to NC.

Cheers!

4.07/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.08/5  rDev -11.5%

Big thanks to SpdKlls for this unlisted want!

Pours a hazy orange color, with a light cream colored head. Laces beautifully!

Floral hop aroma, with plenty of juicy citrus, tropical fruits, and a light biscuit malt backbone.

Citrus, grapefruit, light pine, nicely floral and slightly sweet taste. Nice pleasant bitter finish.

Light bodied, with a nice creamy, oily feel. Finishes clean.

What can I say? FFF's knows pales!

Thanks Carelton!

4.08/5  rDev -11.5%

On-tap during a visit to Three Floyds.

Comes in an imperial pint glass looking cloudy and golden. Big head that leaves some nice lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell is all Citra--crazy pineapple/mango fruitness.

Taste is similar to the nose. No malt flavors here, just lots of tropical fruit tastes. A hint of a musty character I find in Citra beers. Not bitter at all, nor much of a citrus/pine/floral component.

Medium mouthfeel and nicely carbonated.

Glad I got to try this. If you're a fan of Citra, you'll love this. It's a strange hop. If you've never had it, this is a great example.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.