Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,229
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,469 | Reviews: 1,432

I love this beer period!

4.81/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Well this stuff sure doesn't disappoint. As good of a pale ale as I ever had!!

4.09/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very good beer but I don't get why it has the majestic status it has. Don't get me wrong it's great but there are many beers that are at least as good. I'm really happy that I finally got to try it!

4.42/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First off, the bottle is amazing. Holy artwork Batman!! The bottle cap is by far the most creative one that I have yet to see.
A: It pours a darker shade of amber in color, tint of orange. Very clear pour with a thin, white head that dissipates into a white lacing.
S: As soon as I cracked open the bottle, it immediately filled my room with an amazing floral/citrusy aroma. I can detect grapefruit, mango, peach, very sweet, perhaps a hint of pine. The aroma is right up there with FPPA by Trillium. However upon pouring it into a glass I was able to detect some malty sweetness.
T: Unlike the nose a bit. I detect some malty sweetness with a dry grapefruit/hoppy kick to it. Slight bitterness. Definitely a combination of sweetness with dry hops. Can't detect citrus notes. Pine is fairly apparent.
M: Medium body, medium carbonation, hops are prickly to the tongue. Slight bitterness, definitely has a dryness to it which leaves the mouth wanting another sip.
O: I finally was able to get my hands on ZD!! It pays to trade I suppose; however despite being bottle fairly recently, (about 2 weeks ago) it's not as citrusy/balanced as Fort Point Pale Ale by Trillium. It's still very good, but I'd have to give it to Trillium. Next APA to try: PseudoSue

4.79/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 4/1/15.

Not sure if I've had this before when I lived in Indiana, but my first documentation of it.

Amazing aroma for a pale ale. Blew me away.

Only thing lacking for me was the feel. It felt thin and everything was quick to dissipate. Maybe because my bottle is just over a month old but I felt this beer could handle sitting in my cellar for 3 weeks since I purchased it.

Hope to try again soon. I will definitely seek this out again whenever possible.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into New Belgium 'snifter'.

Pours a hazy dark orange-golden color. 1 finger white thick head that is sticking around for about the last 1/4 finger, and leaving nice lacing on the glass. Great big fresh tropical and citrus nose with a touch of pine and just enough malty character to let you know it's there. Taste comes through with delicate, yet tenacious pine, citrus, and tropical notes. Perfect, perfect, perfect body and mouth feel for an APA, finishes with a nice dryness, although I'm just looking for a bit more hop flavor on the back end. I mean, it's easy drinking, beautifully balanced, and nice and refreshing, so that's awesome, but I'm really looking for something to "pop" or send me over the edge. Doesn't stand up to others like PseudoSue in my opinion. Still, let's be honest. Pretty damn good.

4.77/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A friend brought back a six-pack to Hong Kong for me while this was still super fresh in February. Obviously there are times where I just like to sit back and enjoy a beer instead of always reviewing and as it is, two and a half months on, I’m down to my last bottle and so here’s the review. This 12oz bottle was bottled on 13 February 2015 and poured into a pint glass.

A: The beer poured a slightly hazy golden orange colour with a nice one and a half finger white head that dissipated fairly quickly leaving nice stringy lacing.
S: Intense aromas of tropical fruits especially pineapple and mango hit first, followed by some citrus grapefruit and a hint of bready malts finally ending with some hoppy pine.
T: Much like the smell, there was tropical pineapple, citrus grapefruit, some bready buscuity malts and a very nice bitter finish.
M: Very crisp, light and with medium carbonation.
O: I had high expectations before trying it and it lived up to those expectations. It was a very easy APA to drink and this is a must buy if available for me. It was best when it was freshest. Now lets see about 3 Floyds distribution to Hong Kong… hmm, I guess distribution = friends!

4.3/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Citrus, earthiness/pine and bread, with a crisp, dry finish. A bit overrated, but a solid APA nonetheless.

4.31/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The best APA I've ever had, floral hop taste, little bitterness, just out-frigging-standing

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Very floral on nose and palate

4.79/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle (thanks Nathan!) poured into a Russian River pint glass

A - Cloudy, tangerine color. Looks a lot like a WC style IPA. Fluffy off white head, great carbonation

S - Citra hops explode from the glass. Grapefruit, orange, lemon peel. A little bit of a floral note comes through underneath. Very juicy smelling.

T - Wow. An amazing Pale Ale. Citra hops like whoa. Juicy orange, tangerine. A nice hop bitterness throughout. Bready sweetness underneath balances it out perfectly.

O - Still the best Pale Ale out there for my money. I wish this was available in CA!

As close to perfect as beer gets! Fantastic APA overall!

Been after this beer for a long time. Finally scored a sixer. Well worth the wait! Everything it is hyped to be.

Of the hundreds of beers I have tried, this would without a doubt be the one I would pick if I was stuck with only 1 beer for the rest of my life.

4.98/5  rDev +8%

Simply the best APA that i've ever tasted. Also one of the most drinkable beers too.

4.08/5  rDev -11.5%

Review is of a 20 day old bottle

Pours a clear, bright orange body. Head is 3/4 of an inch and pearly white. Lacing was good and head retention was outstanding.

Smell is of floral hops, rye malt, and spice like cardamon or coriander. Fresh cut grass comes through as the beer warms. Not much alcohol is detected.

Taste is of earthy and floral hops. Getting some lemongrass, pine, rye, and maybe ginger or something a tad spicy. Malt is pretty light and alcohol is barely detected.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied for an IPA, well carbonated. Nice head added to the body.

Overall good beer but I was expecting more because of the hype. I gravitate more towards the fruit forward pale ales, maybe thats why I didn't rate it higher. Solid beer though

4.74/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

light orange cloudy pour
Great fruity hoppy nose, grapefruit
awesome flavors, light malt, bright. Then the hops dance on the tongue. medium carbonation. Great beer.

Anyone who rates this beer below a 4.5 is crazy. I can regularly get this and it's always a go to for me. By far the best citra hopped beer out!

FFF doesn't make a bad beer!

4.98/5  rDev +8%

Overall, an amazing beer. If I had only one beer to choose from this would be it. Believe the hype, it's worth it. Very hoppy but smooth at the same time. Nice citrus and subtle pine notes. Definitely recommend if you can get your hands on it.

The Nectar of the Gods

4.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into an imperial pint glass

A: Very nice looking orange amber with nice white fluffy head, lots of lacing, nice stream of carbonation coming off the bottom, head never vanished.

A: Amazing aroma, big citrusy piney, smells like an IPA.

T: Lots of bitterness up front, fades into a piney, citrusy, bread like flavor, malts on the backend, leaves a really dry evaporated taste, bitterness lingers, surprisingly the alcohol is barely noticeable, very nice.

M: Medium mouthfeel, finishes really dry.

O: Very impressed, the aroma is world class, even thought it's an APA, the aroma reminds me of Pliny the Elder, it's big, citrusy, piney, very nice, the flavor is almost IPA, but the mouthfeel reminds that this is an APA. Definitely a world class beer.

3.1/5  rDev -32.8%

Not a fan of the heavy-hopping, to be honest

4.7/5  rDev +2%

Great tasting beer, can't wait to try it again

4.81/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is just simply amazing. It is perfection in a bottle. Great color, tremendous nose, and just a great finish.

4.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look - Dark gold almost orange with bright white head. Good lacing.

Smell - This has a great smell for a low IBU / ABV pale ale. Bready and dank.

Taste - A great taste for what it is. Bread hits first and dank hops mellow out to the finish.

Feel - There is no sting on the tongue. It feels like soft water.

Overall - Why drink an imperial or double when you can get the taste from this pale ale? I really can't believe I only bought a 6 pack of this at the brewery.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.