2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Ratings: 5,250 | Reviews: 1,049 | Show All Ratings:
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

I was overjoyed to see that Party Town had a small keg of this, which they sampled as part of their Friday Night Flights. Unfortunately, it came after 2 Barleywines and 3 IPAs, so when I tried it I could hardly taste it at all. Luckily, they sold pre-filled quart-sized growlers you could take home. Once my tastebuds had been given a chance to recover, I poured it from the growler into a New Belgium tulip. It was a slightly hazy, bright, apricot orange color with a nice, tight, 2-finger head that left huge lacings on the sides of the glass. The beer had a wonderful aroma with notes of sweet oranges, grapefruit, and cedar. Awesome!

The flavor is just wonderful. I get toast and sweet marmalade flavors first, then a perfectly balanced blast of hops comes in, providing tangy orange, peach, and lemon flavors. The beer has a medium body and the finish is wonderfully dry and lip-smacking.

This is easily the best example of an American Pale Ale I have ever had. It could easily hold its own against some outstanding IPAs as well. It is hoppy and complex enough for a seasoned craft beer drinker (which I still aspire to be), yet easy-drinking and accessible enough for a more casual drinker. I think it's a nearly perfect APA and an absolute masterpiece of a beer. I wish we could buy it here.

03-03-2012 21:00:27 | More by deadonhisfeet
BearsOnAcid

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Clear orange body with a nice stiff white head.

Tangerine and fruit punch mixed with some heady in the aroma. Damn this smells good. Thankfully the taste delivers. I was scared that the 50 IBUs as listed wouldn't be enough but this beer came through with the citra hop flavor. Lots of dank bitterness and more tangerine flavor. Closing in on Hill Farmstead status but a little unrestrained and wild which is FFF style.

This is the best beer I've had from 3 Floyd's. The major problem I have with this beer is that it's very high in alcohol for a pale ale. The taste totally works but for what it's labeled as I want that sessionability and the abv is just too high. Comes through just a little bit in the taste too. I have to knock it in the overall points because of that.

09-02-2011 04:52:17 | More by BearsOnAcid
maximum12

4.15/5  rDev -10.4%

Big thanks to malty who lugged this from the brewery to our cooler at the Great Taste of the Midwest, from whence it traveled back to the Twin Cities. Now, finally, two weeks later, we get a chance to crack it open after I forgot to bring it to a tasting (doh!).

Cap twists off with a soft but satisfying hiss: carbonation intact! Pour is clear pale yellow with mild revving carbonation & a head that proves the beer still lives. Smell leans heavily on the hops, citrus on the fruit plate mingled with all manner of tropics. All hop, no malt. OK by me.

Zombie Dust stomps all over the chalk outline delineating India Pale Ale from American Pale Ale. This beer is all about the hops. There is still a pale malt character underneath, but it's second fiddle. The hop flavors are lovely: plenty of pine, citrus, pineapple, with a follow-up nip of bitterness that's aggressive enough to chew my palate up. Not sure if it's the malting or not, but this gives off a lighter 'feel' that your typical IPA, & goes down like cool water. Tasty cool water. If this came out of drinking fountains...oh, sorry. Almost got lost in my fantasty world.

Not quite the life-altering experience I'd hoped for, but easily one of the top five pales ales I've ever had, clearly behind only its brewery-mate Alpha King. Excellent beer. This is going to be a good evening.

08-28-2011 01:53:52 | More by maximum12
mattboyer182

Indiana

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

A - A hazy amber color with a nice thick head.

S - Amazing fresh, piny, citrus hop smell.

T - Delicious citrus hops right up front. Oranges and maybe slight grapefruit.

M - A light crisp mouth feel with a good amount of carbonation.

O - Very good APA. Good hoppy beer.

08-26-2011 01:42:50 | More by mattboyer182
ChrisPro

4.28/5  rDev -7.6%

Growler from FFF

A - dark golden with a monster frothy head. Awesome lacing

S - tons of fruit (mango, peach) and pine. Slightly dank in the background. This is just am awesome bouquet of aromas I want to smell all day.

T - nice sweetness then an awesome piney butter finish. Lots of earthy notes on the finish

M - solid body and light carb. Little oily on the finish

O - just a ridiculously awesome apa. Super drinkable and tons of flavor. This is even better than I expected. Possibly the best apa I've ever had.

08-25-2011 20:12:27 | More by ChrisPro
jpmclaug

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

Growler poured into a Duvel tulip.

Golden yellow with a nice white head.
Smells fantastic. Tropical fruit notes, a little dank resiny hop aroma, a hint of pineapple like sweetness. The description here for this says this beer showcases Citra hops and that is no lie.

Taste follows the aroma. Big tropical fruit flavors, pineapple, grassy hop notes but then at the finish is this nice pale malt backbone. Not really bitter but this is an APA not an IPA so it really works for the style. A really easy to drink beer. I could put away gallons of this if given the opportunity.

medium bodied, a light carbonation, probably would be better on tap than in a growler as far as mouthfeel goes but still is fine the way it is.

I really really like this beer. I can easily say this is the best pale ale I've ever had. The flavor is simply phenomenal. If you have a chance to try this then go for it you will not regret it.

08-21-2011 19:22:49 | More by jpmclaug
orangesol

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to Deuane for picking me up a growler of this one during his recent trip through the brewpub.

A - Pours slightly hazed golden orange with a nice one finger tall white head leaving

S - HUGE amounts of grapefruit throughout this one. Tons of oily citra hops dominate the nose with a bit of lightly toasted sweet caramel malt hiding in the shadows. The second we cracked this growler I could smell it from across the room.

T - Starts off with a huge, oily, citric hop bite quickly giving way to a mix of strong tropical fruits like grapefruits, pineapple, and oranges. Once the hop resins die down you get a bit of the chewy, lightly toasted, caramel malt but this one really is all about the hops. The alcohol is nearly undetectable, only coming through at the very end of each glass. The finish is a mix of citric hop oils and some light chewiness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium-Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Lots of hop oils and some light chewiness in the feel, lingering through the finish. Even with all these hops it remains quite light.

O - Well that growler disappeared pretty damn quick. I could drink this one all day, every day, it is that good. The citra hops are the perfect choice for this beer and this is easily one of the best hop-forward pale ales I have ever had.

08-18-2011 22:11:20 | More by orangesol
ffejherb

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks to brewslut for delivering a growler of this from the FFF brewpub. Several Imperial pints poured and consumed on 8/16/11.

A - Poured a slightly hazy amber/orange liquid with traces of slow-rising carbonation bubbles and a finger's worth of foamy white head that receded to a thin, wispy retention and deposited a sticky smattering of lace around the glass.

S - Whoa! Tropical fruit galore with citrus notes not too far behind. Malt character is sweet with hints of caramel and toasted grains. Possibly the freshest, hoppiest pale ale I've ever smelled!

T - Flavor is dripping with hop nectar - tropical fruit and citrus at the forefront, as well as traces of grass, faint catbox and leafy hops. Complex hop profile to say the least. Sweet and grainy malt balances things out, especially in the backend, resulting in an extremely well-balanced pale ale that retains amazing hop character.

M - Light to medium bodied with a very oily texture and minimal carbonation. Lots of hop oils in this sucker! Finishes with a light lingering bitterness on the palate.

D - Ridiculously drinkable, insanely balanced pale ale... perhaps the best straight-up pale ale I've ever had. Amazing. Reminds me of Alpine's Nelson.

08-17-2011 13:11:12 | More by ffejherb
Brez07

Maine

4.43/5  rDev -4.3%

64oz growler sent from oach. Thanks again Scot

A: Light orange, mostly clear. Small amount (1 finger) of white head with great retention. Brief spotted lacing

S: Definitely citra hops in this one. Subtle grapefruit. Light underlying pine. As it warms, I start to detect just a little bit of scallion/onion, but it doesn't detract from the overall scent

T: Lots of citrus flavors, blended nicely. Doesn't have the big hop bitterness though. Juicy melon, orange, grapefruit. There is a touch of bitterness in the background, but again, not a dominating presence

M: Medium bodied. Appropriate amount of carbonation at first, but ends smooth. Lingering bitterness on the palate

D: Big hoppy pale ale. Super easy drinking, could sip on this all day. Just another reason why I wish I lived close to this brewery

08-13-2011 01:17:04 | More by Brez07
starrdogg

District of Columbia

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Big thanks to Chris for sharing his growler of this one.

A: Pours a cloudy orange/amber color, darker than I expected it to be.

S: Wow, what an incredible aroma! It's just tropical fruity hops hitting you in the face. It doesn't get much better than this.

T: Taste follows the smell and does not disappoint at all. Citrusy hops are definitely the dominant flavor, but the beer has a stronger malt backbone than I expected, which leads to some great balance. Very easy to drink and packs a TON of flavor.

M: Light-medium bodied, nice carbonation with some great hop stickiness and a little bit of dryness in the finish.

O: This is a hell of a beer, and fits right in with others like Alpine's Hoppy Birthday and The Alchemist's Holy Cow in the trend of low ABV, super hopped delicious pale ales/IPAs. It's so ridiculously easy to drink and flavorful. I can't wait for bottles, because this could so easily be my go-to beer for a long, long time.

08-10-2011 19:34:19 | More by starrdogg
MiloHoP

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Got this in trade from generous trader KickInTheChalice Thank you! Poured out nice orange clear witch nice white foam around my snifter.

I get big hop floral smell right off the bat, orange and other fruits mixed in there as well, the most floral smelling pale ale to date for me.

WOW! Amazing candied fruits on front of pallet with a nice bitter ending down the throat. This is the hoppiest pale ale I have had and best in its class I must say, still need to try out Hoppy Birthday.

Overall if I lived in Chicago 3 Floyds area I would be there every weekend getting some of this goodness. Hands down mastery of hops and malt balancing. Now I have killed my growler and am both happy to have had this and sad that will be awhile before I can quench this hole it has left in my heart :(

08-07-2011 21:48:05 | More by MiloHoP
Retail1LO

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%

One of the best beers I've had. Period. I received this growler in a trade for some Brute. I think I won. LOL God DAMN what any experience. The moment I cracked the growler, I was amazed. This is the first beer I would describe as smelling "dank" in the pot aficionado manner of speaking. Poured a beautiful hazy orange with a rather meager head, which I attribute to the growler. The mouthfeel and taste are off the charts. This is easily one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had the good fortune of enjoying in all my beer drinking days. I can't wait for them to bottle this stuff. I'll be comin' back to this...one way or another. Alll your Z0mbie Dust is belongs to me.

08-06-2011 11:03:58 | More by Retail1LO
PeprSprYoFace

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Gotta thank my most recent trading partner for sending me this growler. Thanks bro. Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a cloudy orange hay color with a nice white head a super sticky lacing.

Aroma is a lot like my homebrew pale ale. So I'm gunna say some cascade hops and centennial? Nice and citrusy. Nice malt aroma too.

Taste is great. Nice citrus hops and a nice malt flavor. Nice smooth hop flavor. Very tasty.

Lower on the carb side. I blame the growler but it's nice. Smooth.

Overall maybe the best pale ale I've had but it's not a revelation. I've had some beers that were a revelation and this one is just maybe the best of it's style.

08-03-2011 06:23:17 | More by PeprSprYoFace
Azurescens

Washington

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%

64oz growler poured into Hair of the Dog tulip, reviewed on 7/22/11.

A: Pours a clear golden orange with whitish head that leaves lots of nice lacing around glass.

S: Fantastic, packed with sweet citrus and tropical fruit and some pale malt hiding behind all the fruity hops.

T: Perfect blend of citrus and tropical hop flavors that mingle incredibly well with the pale malt backbone. All the flavor you would expect from a top notch IPA without all the bitterness and a bit more malt.

M: Super smooth medium body with low-moderate carbonation.

O: I am very impressed to say the least, this is exactly what I would like to see more breweries creating. A sessionable pale ale with the hop aroma and flavor of a world class IPA without all the IBUs. Drinkability is off the charts.

07-23-2011 01:31:08 | More by Azurescens
DavoleBomb

4.1/5  rDev -11.4%

Big thanks to enelson for this. Poured into a pint glass.

4.0 A: Moderately hazed golden color. One and a half fingers of pillowy white head. Retention is about average and a good sized, full ring of lacing is left behind.

4.5 S: This APA has the hop aroma of a DIPA. Strong mango, followed by pineapple and orange. Grapefruit and pine after that. Sugary cake icing. No hints of any malt. Pretty clean overall.

4.0 T: The taste isn't as crazy citrusy as the nose. Still there's a good bit of pineapple, mango, and orange. More pine and grapefruit than the nose suggests and not even close to as sugary. Moderate bitterness. A bit of malt this time in the way of breadiness and a light yeastiness. A little less clean than the nose.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation, especially for a growler. Reasonably creamy and smooth overall.

4.0 D: This is a pretty good beer. It reminds me a lot of Selin's Grove IPA that I just had a few days ago, but a less intense version of that. Still, I would have no problem drinking this to get a citrusy hop fix.

07-21-2011 21:47:34 | More by DavoleBomb
MarkIntihar

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%

Enjoyed from my Bell's snifter from the growler I purchased Saturday at the brewpub.

A - Pours a light burnt orange color with the half finger's worth of head taking a few seconds to make it's way to the top of the glass. Pours beautifully!

S - Smell begins almost pure citrus, with orange/tangerine being the dominant scent off the bat. Also a nice blend of piney scents to help accentuate the hop profile. Also some lemon in the background.

T - Taste is more hop-forward than the smell, with the bitterness hitting you right off the bat as well as lingering in the aftertaste. The citrus that dominates the scent is more of a background flavor in the beer, and it's not necessarily a bad thing, though I personally would have preferred the same intensity as the nose. Still a very well balanced taste.

M - A little undercarbonated, which may be my fault due to the few days since buying the growler. Still very pleasant on the tongue.

O - Overall an exceptionally well done APA. Another grew brew from the Floyds!

07-21-2011 02:55:14 | More by MarkIntihar
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler generously provided by Ben. Thank you! I had this on tap back at Dark Lord ot' 11 and had to peel my buddy away from the keg. Here goes round 2.

Pours a nice light orange with a consistent, multi column stream of tiny bubbles, a frothy cover, and plenty of sticky muckage.

Smell is all Citra: fleshy, white, juicy nectarine, sweaty, dripping tropical fruits on the beach, tangerines, just so damn delicious.

Basically, this is a Citra delivery vehicles. Touch of honey sweetness and light non salted cracker provides a platter where the tropicality sits poised to entice and inspire. There is a store in town that has samples of all their fat, ripe summer produce available while you shop. This beer has managed to cram much of summer's bounty into a 6 percent package. Bra-fuckin-vo.

Mouthfeel is lush and natural fruit sugary fresh. Juicy throughout with faintly bitter finish.

This is far and away my favorite beer from a brewery that frustrates me more often than not. Very, very nice.

07-21-2011 02:08:01 | More by BarrytheBear
Scrumtralecent

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass. Growler 1 day old.

A - Golden yellow with nice frothy white head that lingers. Noticeable carbonation and lacing on the side of the glass.

S - Has that wonderful 3 Floyds hop blend aroma very prevalent in the nose. Have they patented that hop blend by now? Citrus hops and some bitter, but wow, very pungent and a delight to smell. The nose makes this beer very inviting and exciting to taste.

T - The bitter hops hit with that citrus flavor rounding out the taste and giving it a smooth rounded taste. Malt/barley flavor is light in the back but noticeable to give this a full flavor. The hops are right on though, making this beer delicious without being overbearing. The great hop blend, full flavor, and refreshing taste probably make this one of the best APAs I've tasted.

M - This is amazing mouthfeel for all the hops. Quite smooth with just some bitterness giving heaviness. Carbonation is just right to make the flavors pop. Very easy to drink.

O - Great APA. I can't state enough how great that hop blend is in this, just right and delicious. Would definitely seek this out again. I will have no problem making sure this growler disappears.

07-10-2011 23:10:34 | More by Scrumtralecent
Skull40

Indiana

3.79/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden with a two finger white head.

S - The heavy nose still includes a crispness of grapefruit and some other hoppiness.

T- A malty backbone with a hop bitterness sidebar. Includes grapefruit and general fruitiness. Very interesting. A nice balance of the malt and hops.

M - A medium mouthfeel of light creaminess

O - A nice offering without an excess of anything, but enough of everything to make it enjoyable to most people's tastes.

06-30-2011 18:36:11 | More by Skull40
CuriousMonk

4.49/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks Jim for the growler! Epic! Pours a hazy pale gold, slightly orange with minimal 1 finger head. Thin lacing lasts throughout nicely. Aroma is redolent of all types of citrus - mango, grapefruit, lemon peel, pineapple, and maybe a hint of green apple and honey. Taste is an utter hop bomb mango and grapefruit. Mild caramel dominate the palate. Body is medium with lower than average carbonation, oily on the tounge, and finishes extra dry with a very long lasting bitter citrus aftertaste. This was a really interesting APA. Glad to have tried this one out!

06-25-2011 16:58:40 | More by CuriousMonk
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks for the growler Chris!

Poured into a Half Acre pint glass. Clear, light-orange body with about a fingers worth of white foamy head. Good lacing all the way down to the bottom of the glass.

Could smell this one right away as I cracked the cap on the growler. Juicy, fresh, hops, lots of citrus and some sweet malts lingering in the background of the aroma. Piny, grassy, hops and dry orange wedge.

Orange-lemon citrus on the tongue with a good helping of grassy hops. Malty-bready notes beneath. Has a good hop kick to it for an APA, but the base beer keeps it true to the style. Touch of pepper from the hops on the finish. Very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is smooth and chewy up front, but still manages to finish crisp and clean on the finish. Nice weight to the body. No sign of the 6.2% ABV.

Overall, this is an excellent APA. Definitely one the best I've had. Right up there with Hill Farmstead's Edward. Really easy to drink with lots of flavor. A great summer beer. Highly recommended for the style!

05-26-2011 21:24:05 | More by sisuspeed
abuliarose

New Hampshire

4.3/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass, revealing a finger of head over a rich-looking amber body. Some bubbles. Smells light with floral hops and a hint of lemon. Smells refreshing.

Tastes very bitter up front in a tongue-tingling way. Tons of flavor in every sip. Decent citrus rind character, not zesty but solid. Bitterness gives way to a nutty, malty and slightly meaty finish. Carbonation is small, tingly and comes in waves. Medium-bodied with a silky, voluminous mouthfeel. Slightly dry, just slightly. Pretty drinkable.

Overall a really nice APA. An easy one for sure to enjoy pint after pint of on a relaxing day.

05-26-2011 21:20:46 | More by abuliarose
womencantsail

4.22/5  rDev -8.9%

Growler courtesy of Iain. Thanks!

A: The beer pours a hazed golden orange color with a huge off-white/khaki head and nice sticky lacing.

S: Great hop nose to this beer. Big pine and citrus peel. Tons of grapefruit with a little bit of bready malts and a hint of toast and caramel. Mildly grassy on the back end.

T: Mildly sweet malts of bread and toffee. Big citrus peel, pine, and grass hop flavor. A moderate level of bitterness to it and a hint of fruitiness. Nice solid flavors to the beer.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Really easy to drink and a great flavor and aroma.

05-12-2011 04:12:36 | More by womencantsail
Kegatron

4.43/5  rDev -4.3%

64 oz growler into a pint glass. Huge thanks go to Stakem for grabbing this for me on a recent trip out to the brewery for Dark Lord Day.

Pours a clear copper in the glass, topped with a couple fingers of eggshell-white head. This retains with a soapy ½ finger, which drenches the sides of the glass with rich sticky lacing. The aroma pops in the nose, with a fresh and floral feel that carries a sticky mix of ripe tropical fruit, sweet grains, and more bitter smelling grapefruit notes which cut through the center of the nose. Maybe just a smidge of alcohol warmth hangs on the edges here but it mostly serves to give this some presence in the nostrils.

The taste mirrors the aroma, with a fresh and biting grapefruit character that controls this with a zesty bitterness that spreads out into the mouth. This is balanced along the back by a sticky sweet blend of tropical fruitiness and sweet malts. This finishes with lingering dry notes of pine and bitter pith, which while aggressive, still manages a fresh and bright feeling itself that hangs in the mouth. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a firm prickly creaminess that blows up in the mouth but then gets slicker on the sides as this heads towards the swallow. That 6% ABV feels spot on in the mouth, giving this a touch of assertiveness on the palate but without any warming alcohol flavors to speak of.

This is a just another in a long line of awesome hoppy beers from Three Floyds, as this stands right up there along such other fantastic APAs from them as the Alpha King and Pride & Joy. There is a LOT of fruity sweetness to this from those Citra hops, which took me a bit to wrap my palate round, but once more of that balancing grapefruit bitterness came out to play, I was fully on board. I hope rumors of the eventual bottling of this come to fruition.

05-09-2011 16:47:50 | More by Kegatron
bobhits

Kentucky

Deep orange color, mercy and dense looking. A one finger white fluffy head, based on the tap pour I think the growler is a touch flatter than the tap version. Very nice lacing is starting to form as well.

Just straight up citrus grape fruit from the second the growler is opened.

Sharp citrus opening, blast of grape fruit with perhaps a bit of lemon zest. The malt here adds weight at the start, but perhaps the least impact I’ve ever noticed. I just can’t describe any flavor from the malt, just the sugary weight of it. At the same time there is a decent amount of weight from the malt the finish is surprisingly watery. Warmer the watery flavor is less noticeable and the malt/hops just linger longer. Still no real complexity.

The mouth feel and the taste go hand in hand. A bit more weight than some of the cleaner IPAs out there, but a surprisingly void of flavor finish leaves me almost thinking I just finished a glass of water. The hops then come back to linger, but this is an odd mix. The carbonation is a touch low, but I think again this is an impact of the growler and not the beer itself.

This would make an amazing 6 pack style regular release IPA for three floyds. It isn’t over powering or overly intense, but it has that wonderful grape fruit kick. I’m torn on this one unlike any beer I’ve had in a while. The flavors are amazing, but they lack the intense notes I want. The finish doesn’t excite me and the carbonation doesn’t add anything helpful.

Since this is called a pale ale, I'm not sure what to say there. In many ways it is more pale ale than IPA but the hops are just so in your face....

05-07-2011 21:24:12 | More by bobhits