Follow our progress ...

Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,485 | Ratings: 9,556
4.28/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was a good, not great beer for me. Quite drinkable for a beer over 6% ABV. I think that perhaps the "American Pale Ale" is just not a flashy style. I might be getting jaded. I would try this again, if I ever find it in NJ.

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L - A very nice deep golden hue with a 1 finger head that laces beautifully.
S - A pretty standard pale ale aroma. Lots of citrus on the front with a resiny pinish smell coming in at the end.
T - Excellent, super juicy with a burst of citrus throughout each drink.
F - Nice medium body and a perfectly clean finish
Overall - I love this beer!!! It definitely lives up to the hype. Are their pale ales that I have had that I prefer over this? Sure (maybe only 1) But this pale is outstanding.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

Zombie Dust brewed by 3 Floyds Brewing Co., with an ABV of 6.20% This American Pale Ale pours out a nice deep amber color with a nice full white head. The smell of Zombie Dust is rich with hops bitterness grains and malts. The look and smell of this brew is really inviting, noting bad so far. Now for the taste it is bold with flavors. You pick up a nice amount of hop bitterness in the taste of this brew. There is also some nice notes of grains and malts in the taste of this brew. This one of the better American Pale Ale's I have had. It is really bold with flavors. I can't get over how smooth this brew is. Zombie Dust has a nice nice balance to it, there is overpowering about this brew. The mouthfeel of Zombie Dust is Bold, Rich, Clean, Smooth and refreshing. It is real hard to pick up on the 6.20% ABV in this brew , it is just that smooth. Overall I'm giving Zombie Dust Brewed 3 Floyds Brewing Co., a 4.50 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. 3 Floyds Brewing Co., did a real nice job with this one.

3.69/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Was gifted a Zombie Dust by a co-worker. Not usually my type of beer, but I respect a well-made APA or IPA so it deserves a chance.

L -- Poured half-way into my imperial pint: lightly hazy deep gold, with a dense and sudsy white head that holds strong.

S -- Resiny Pine. Done. Okay, maybe some light citrus esters behind all the pine.

T -- Citrus flavors -- peach to grapefruit up front, with a well-balanced resiny pine character back. Ever so light biscuit malts perceived in the back taste and aftertaste, resiny finish into the aftertaste.

M -- Soft and smooth mouthfeel with a dry, bitter finish and hot alcohol notes.

O -- I'd rate this higher if it was listed as an AIPA, but it's just too hop-heavy for me to think about slugging a few down like I would with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It just *might* scare the undead.

4.39/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had in the tasting room at the brewery. Rich golden, nice head. The bitter is strong with this one, but really clean malts backing it up and great flavors. Still, if you're into fruit IPAs or delicate aromatics this isn't the beer for you. It's a gut puncher for sure with the hops.

4.19/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's time. The hype train has arrived in my neighborhood. Do I jump on or flip it off as it meanders on by?

Poured from a 12 oz bottle dated the day this review is being written. I had hoped to score a case that hadn't been bottled yet but you know how it is.

Pours a lightly hazy orange golden color with a 2-finger off-white head. When the head dissipates it leaves a nice fluffy crown around the beer. Not much lacing to speak of.

The aroma has a ton of orange and some mild grapefruit. Par for the course for Citra hopped ales. Not a knock, that's just how it is.

The taste, like the nose, is all citrus. Orange and grapefruit, maybe some tangerine. Finishes lightly bitter and piney.

The feel is medium bodied with moderately high carbonation. Just a slight lingering bitterness.

Overall, a great pale ale that doesn't quite meet the hype but honestly, who cares? It's a great beer with a great flavor. If citra is your thing then so will this beer be.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

First, a special thanks to my new beer bud Brad who went above and beyond to get this beer in my hands. Pours a slightly cloudy yellowish orange with a one-finger head. Aromas of citrus and grapefruit rind/pith. OK, this beer has been so hyped to me, it will be hard for it to live up to expectations but here goes. Damn, that is tasty! Lots of tropical flavors with citrus dominating. Not a ton of caramel malt taste which is a definite plus for me. Not overly bitter, and also contributing to the nice mouthfeel, not over-carbonated. And this is only an APA. I have had many IPAs that can't match the fresh hop flavor. Believe what you've heard...this is a GREAT Pale Ale!

4.56/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A nice floral aroma helps set the expectations for one of the best pale ales around. This is a great beer to enjoy on a nice warm Indiana summer day. Many will tell you the hype is not justified. Those individuals are the reason beer geeks get a bad rap. Just because everyone says something is good, does not mean it's overrated. If you have never enjoyed a ZD, try to find one. While it won't likely be your best beer of all time, it will still be a really good choice.

4.18/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A very good APA, but extremely overrated IMO. I may be spoiled, as I have access to it almost whenever ( seasonal). It has very good drinkability, but doesn't knock my socks off. If anyone wants it to judge for themselves, let me know.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

17 days old poured from a 12 oz bottle. Pours golden amber color with minimal white head which quickly disappeared leaving minimal lacing. The smell is strong citrus (mostly orange) and hops, as would be expected from a citra-hopped APA. This borders the edge of an IPA, but it's done brilliantly. The mouthfeel is strong carbonation but smooth. The taste is all citrus, orange,and hops with almost no lasting bitterness but a good malt balance on the back end. This is an outstanding beer that would be a daily drinker for me if I had access to it.

4.27/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm not a big fan of pale ale's but, I saw this recently on tap at a growler bar and thought I would see what all the hype was about.

L- Poured into a 16 oz. Pint glass, looks like a typical pale ale. Hazy, light orange, with a foamy head and good lacing.
S- All of these pale ales smell similar to me, this one is no different. Hoppy, citrus, and grapefruit smell.
T- Taste follows the nose, hoppy with a very good balance. Not overly bitter, but it's there.
F- Pretty heavy, took me a while to finish.
O- Well, this was about what I expected for the style. I don't prefer this type, but I can see why it is popular. Thought this was an excellent pale ale, one of the better ones I've had. If you haven't had a chance to try it, check it out, it's worthy of the hype! Highly recommended!

4.24/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As is always the case, it is hard to approach a beer with a reputation like this one. If you go in expecting a life changing experience, you can only be disappointed - it's just a beer. But if you go in looking for a beer, it turns out it is really good! A big, juicy citrus and tropical fruit flavor, backed by a slight malty backbone. Mildly bitter. It's not complex, but it is very tasty and doesn't get tiring as you drink it.

4.54/5  rDev 0%

Appear : A little bit hazy orange-golden color with white foamy head. - 4/5
Aroma : Big nose of citrus from Citra hop. - 9/10
Mouthfeel : Medium-high carbonation, medium body. - 4/5
Taste : Like eating citrus, juicy flavor and citrus, piney hop flavors. Very dry. - 9/10
Overall : Great pale ale with citrus character. Prefer Pseudosue to this, but this is amazing too. 17/20

4.23/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great beer, my first craft beer I ever had before I knew even what I was drinking. Now that I have other pale ales to compare it too it is very good, probably the second best pale ale I've ever had after double dry hopped pale ale by Trillium. Smells great and tastes better.

4.71/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I live in MA and had this mailed to me. So $42 for a six pack.... I love a good pale ale. This was fantastic to me. Nothing crazy going on, just a really nice solid beer. Great nose to it. If this was closer to me, it would be my "go-to"

3.66/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Expected more. Didn't blow me off my feet like a top 50 beer should. Very generic taste and mouth feel. Other Half superior IPAs to this. Probably getting by on its reputation at this point

3.31/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

It's a pale ale. There's not much more that can be said beyond that. Totally drinkable, but nothing special, if I'm honest. One might be better served by a proper IPA like Stone's or, if you're in the Midwest, a Two-Hearted.

4.23/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Copper colored with moderate haziness and a fingernail of off white resting on top. Heavy lacing. Aroma is a blend of citrus hops and cracker like light malt. I taste plenty of light malt upfront and the citrus hops in the back of the palate. This is a very balanced and flavorful pale ale. The mouth provides a gentle but deep hop burn.

4.94/5  rDev +8.8%

Very hoppy for a Pale Ale but so smooth. Best beer from 3 Floyd's and best Pale Ale I've ever tasted. They can't keep this stuff in the bar or liquor store for more than a day or two. I buy it straight from the brewery about 60 Miles from my house.

4.74/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a dark, vibrant, golden-copper coloring with a steady flow of carbonation throughout the body, and a foamy, bubbly, low profile, off-white head. Aromas of tart and sweet grapefruit, lemon zest, and orange rind blending with dried grass and piney resinous notes. Flavors are very tartly sweet forward, heavy on citrus, but with some tropical notes here and there, as well. Pineapple and mango highlight the heavy notes of grapefruit and orange rind. All of this atop a bitter green backbone of pine resin, dried grass, and moss. Perfectly balanced, on effervesced, crisp, and dry body. The aftertaste is a solid, balanced blend of the bitter green notes and the citrus medley. Amazingly balanced from beginning to end. The finish is smooth, slightly dry, and effervesced from the carbonation that stays steady flowing the whole time you drink. Amazing beer!

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

huge thanks to minipork for sending this! bottled 4.13.16. poured into a tulip, orange gold with a fluffy white head.

nose is pretty faint... earthy dankness, grassy, bit of pineapple and light citrus zest. nice on the nose but definitely not jumping out at you. taste is definitely better, good orange, grapefruit, lemon/lime peel. definite sweetness, in part from a nice caramel malt, creates a candied citrus like taste. really nice. very subtle piney bitterness on the finish. mouthfeel is good, light carbonation, slightly creamy.

overall really glad to try this one. top notch ale!!

4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

BOD 3/30/16. Clear light amber (dark gold) pour. World class head volume, lacing and retention.

World class nose of citra hops - orange, pineapple, mango - over a pale malt base with a touch of biscuit and caramel.

Light medium body that is smooth in texture with a oily slickness. Very good carbonation / body balance with a mildly effervescent middle and a prickly finish.

The flavor profile is quite outstanding when rather cold, but becomes world class nearer room temperature. Being single hop, it is not complex but it is reasonable in intensity and very well balanced. It begins with a blended flavor that separates, to a degree, from the middle on. First is a general citrus flavor that hints at zest then flows to a mildly bittered middle. Bitterness is balanced by a subtle sweetness underneath that never really takes center stage when very cold, but shines near room temperature. From here the tropicals arrive...mango, pineapple and finally orange. Throughout the taste experience is a subtle earthy dank current that makes its strongest showing just before and through the finish. The finish lingers with a light dryness and zest.

A - nice dark orange amber color white head sticks nice lacing
S - nice big orange zest, grapefruit, lemon lime
T - pops even more so.than the smell, orange zest, grapefruit, lemon lime, nice and bitter
M - light-medium mouthfeel, bitter, alcohol covere, aftertaste is orange zest
O - straight up Citra bomb, best Citra pale ale to date. Tastes like orange juice.

4.9/5  rDev +7.9%

look: golden colored, 3 inches of white head, and very nice lacing.
smell: tons of citrus in the smell.
taste: pine resin, citrus, very bitter.
feel: smooth with a bitter end, medium bodied.
overall: delicious and highly recommended.

3.81/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Were I ever a devotee, my rating would earn me the label of apostate.
But never a true believer in the sanctity of piling-in-the-hops, I suggest that the mania around Zombie Dust should recede into history.
This beer smacks the buds with hops to the point that I cannot taste subtleties in the malts.
I do not need to drink this beer ever again. And why make the effort? It is too hard to find !

An American classic... or is it time to fade from fashion. I choose the latter. for Zombie Dust.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.