2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Ratings: 5,243 | Reviews: 1,049 | Show All Ratings:
GreesyFizeek

3.75/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On cask at the Old Toad during their cask festival.

Pours a clear golden yellow. Small amount of floaties. Small half inch head.

Smells like citrus fruits and juices.

The flavor is slightly more muted than I'd expect. I don't usually love hoppy beers in a cask, and this promotes that for me. Slightly watery, with some citrus flavors coming through. Low bitterness.

Cask style mouthfeel- small amount of lively carbonation. Crisp.

Would love to give this another shot from the bottle or a normal keg.

06-23-2013 02:46:46 | More by GreesyFizeek
GonzoHomebrewer

4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Finally made a pilgrimage to Three Floyds brewpub, did not disappoint at all, especially with Zombie Dust on cask! Though I must say, it was served a little chillier than I expect my cask...

A- Hazy cloudy golden color with a tiny frothy head around the brim. I assume the haze is due to the cask conditioning because none of my bottles were quite as hazy

S- absolutely freaking amazing! cornucopia of wonderful citrus fruit, lots of mango, tangerine, slight grapefruit on the back end. everything you want and more

T- just more of the same, an explosion of bright citrus flavors. citra is the showcase here and I'm overbidding.

m- the cask makes this out to be like a mango creamsicle...heaven

D- Sorry Edward, this just squeaks by you

02-16-2013 04:31:04 | More by GonzoHomebrewer
elNopalero

Oh, I seriously love Zombie Dust. It became my new favorite addiction in the short window of time where I was able to enjoy it.

I had it on tap, cask and in the bottle.

I was able to do a side-by-side tap vs. cask comparison. Below are my findings of this highly scientific research:

Zombie dust on bottle

While I couldn’t get a growler of Zombie Dust to go I did score a sixer of this wonderful elixir.
It pours with a golden amber color and great foam. There’s a big bouquet on it of tropical fruit, pineapple and a lemony citrusy hop. The flavor is hoppy without being overpoweringly bitter with a crisp orange-lemony and pineapple floral notes coming across. Lightly bodied, this is all about the flavorful and aromatic hops. Loved it.

Zombie Dust on tap and in cask: a side-by-side comparison.

Tap: This has tight foam atop a clear golden tan color brew. The aroma is intensely hoppy and crisp with an amazing tropical citrusy hop aroma and a light note of toasted straw on the finish. There’s an upfront bitterness with some resin on it. Floral and citrusy with a hint of caramel sweetness and a dry finish.

Cask: It pours an amber-golden color with gloppy, sloppy bubbly foam. The aroma and flavor are both smooth, mellow, even. Warms well with citrusy notes prevalent with a great rounded smoothness. There’s an orange citrusy aroma, more mellow than tap but equally enjoyable. The flavor is likewise rounded and softened, with a smooth resiny/orange/orange peel and marmalade character to it.

Whether on tap or from the cask it is dangerously good and lives up to everything I’ve heard.

01-22-2013 08:12:37 | More by elNopalero
jeonseh

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%

At FFF on cast. Imperial pint $5

A - Hazy golden orange color color with a big thick white head. A bit hazier than regular zombie dust. Lots of lacing throughout

S - Loads of citra hops. Orange, lemon, slight grassy hop freshness. Strong great nose

T - Lemon, orange, slight grassy hops. Balanced with a light caramel sweetness. Light grapefruit lingers on the tongue with a slight biscuit finish

MF - Medium light body with a slight stickiness. Light hop resin remains on the tongue. Makes it nice and easy to drink. Bit lighter than normal

O - Great beer and ever greater on cask. Easy drinking. Definitely grab a couple of glasses if they have it especially for only $5 for an imperial pint. The nose on this is even better than normal and as per usual, it's flavor packed

12-23-2012 14:34:01 | More by jeonseh
Tucquan

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Had this on-tap on 2012-06-19 in Warsaw, IN at The Downtown beer bar. Also had this on-cask on 2013-04-07 at the brew pub in Munster, IN (it was equally good, if not a little better on-cask)

A - Fairly clear, golden-orange with a 2-finger white head into a nonic glass, which fades pretty quickly and leaves mild lacing.

S - Big amounts of mango and papaya, some pineapple and orange flesh, pine, hop bud oils. More aroma than when I last had it in the bottle.

T - Mango, papaya and orange flesh. Nice amount of pine then some orange zest bitterness. The sweetness of the malt really compliments the fruit flavors and briefly gives a creamsicle impression. Finishes dry and nicely bitter but with a clinging tropical and citrus residue.

M - Creamy with medium body and carbonation. It's thicker than I expected, which seems to compliment the idea of biting into fresh fruit. Somewhat oily but not prickly. There's certainly enough carbnoation to scrub the tongue; leaving you ready for the next taste.

O - Just a fabulous APA although truth-be-told, it is more IPA than APA. Great, great stuff. Unfortunately for me, when I went to order my second pint with dinner, the waiter told me I'd my first glass killed their keg. A well; at least I got to taste it fresh on-tap less than 2-hours from the brewery.

06-24-2012 18:21:07 | More by Tucquan
DNICE555

Connecticut

On tap at the Three Floyd's. Smell is strong and crisp. Glorious hops. This is one of my favorite beers. So glad I got to have it on cask. Everything is so strong and pronounced. I can't think of one thing I'd change about this beer. I wish FFF distributed to CT. This might be my favorite beer. No carb room temp... Hell yeah! Adds so much to this beer.

06-09-2012 01:53:16 | More by DNICE555
hansgruber

4.23/5  rDev -8.6%

Cask at FFF

Nice head and decent lacing.

Dank, tropical fruit aroma.

Full of musky, tropical fruit hoppy goodness. Bitterness is very firm and seems more than regular draft.

Thinner mouthfeel than draft version.

Very good but I'll take the draft over cask.

04-22-2012 04:15:58 | More by hansgruber
Kbogac

4.38/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a pint glass. Clear orange amber with a 1/2 inch on foam. No visible carbonation. It this is a cask pour.

Smell is nice grapefruit and hops.

Taste is nice balanced hops up front. A little sweetness then malt with a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is not overly light, nice. Cask pour has minimal carbonation.

Overall an excellent beer. Hops are very aromatic but not overwhelming in the taste. Very well balanced and easy to drink.

03-09-2012 20:26:43 | More by Kbogac
GBallHead

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a hazy orange with a decent head and sticky white foamy lacing all around the glass for most of the beer.

S: Aromas of grapefruit and pine, little bit caramel scent.

T: Kind of bitter with a citrus profile. Very pleasant aroma. At 6.4% its teetering on the edge of IPA, but whatever, just a classification anyway. Very well rounded with bitterness, aroma, hops, and caramel flavors.

M: Highly carbonated and stings the tongue with a medium body for an APA. Absolutely love it.

O: Overall this is a solid APA, strong and well flavored. After all the commotion this beer has caused in the forums for the past year or so Its definitely good, and I drink it all the time probably because of convenience but still it is one of my favorites.

11-14-2011 15:06:17 | More by GBallHead
madpentzer

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Had this on cask at Clark Street Alehouse in my first ever trip to Chicago.

A: Golden yellow with about two to three fingers of head.

S: Lots of citrus, grapefruit, and a little pine in the background. Wonderful aroma.

T: The citra hops really shine in this beer. Strong citrus and grapefruit flavors, followed by some grassy pine notes.

M: Medium mouthfeel, almost creamy. Still went down exceptionally well.

O: This was my first try of a FFF offering and I am thouroughly impressed. I think I just found my favorite APA. A must try beer.

11-11-2011 20:11:10 | More by madpentzer
KickInTheChalice

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%

Gravity pour out of a fresh cask at Fountainhead in a pint glass.

Appearance: A beautiful cask pour; a lightly hazy, mostly clear golden tangerine color with a rocky off-white rocky froth casually resting on top, an obvious reminder of the serving type.

Smell: The aroma is a little bit muted compared to the bottle or tap versions, but it is still full of hoppy goodness. The pale malts give a soft sweet and bready back, with aromatic mango, pineapple, and grapefruit hops shining through.

Taste: Somehow, the flavor is even better than the regular tap version. Softly sweet bread and light grains cannot contain a sweet, juicy hop explosion that builds, peaks, and finishes without a single wasted IBU. The mango, pineapple, and papaya flavors work well with the sweetness, with a flash of tart and bitter grapefruit kick near the end. The most amazing thing is just how smooth this flavor is.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is obviously on the very light side, there is just enough to excite the taste buds. A hop bitterness leaves a bit of hop residue behind my lips, and the overall sensation is creamy and smooth.

Overall: As a hophead, I love any version of this beer. It is even better on cask, and I am slowly realizing I might be a cask IPA fanatic.

11-08-2011 18:05:20 | More by KickInTheChalice
FATKIDREVOLUTION

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Discovered at Chicago's Night of the living ales at Goose Island.

Pours a hazy orange with little head.

Smells like a 3 Floyds: Super Hoppy and spicey.

The taste is dry sweet citrus. Light bitterness on the front.

Was here and gone before the Chi even had a chance and the Burbs out here had no chance !
This is from the serving type: bottle

10-13-2011 21:47:01 | More by FATKIDREVOLUTION
HopHead84

4.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4/15/2011

On cask at Pizza Port Real Ale 2011.

A: Translucent light orange with a large and impressive creamy white head which shows remarkable retention. Nice color.

S: Light tangerine with some grassy and herbal notes. I get some peach and orange. Expressive citrus. No malt influence. Very nice.

T: Malt is slightly grainy but not real influential. Low bitterness with a lot of hop flavor: tangerine, orange, and a little grapefruit. All flesh, no rind. Exceptional flavor.

M: Upper light in body with nice upper low cask carbonation. Smooth, dry, and sticky mouthfeel.

Overall: Outstanding stuff. So damn drinkable. I had 3 pours of this.

05-05-2011 05:16:57 | More by HopHead84
TMoney2591

4.18/5  rDev -9.7%

Served in a shaker pint glass at The Firkin.

Missed this one before, but now I get to try it on cask. Second chances rock. It pours a clear, bright, lemony straw topped by a finger of cream-white froth and populated by some minor floaties. Were it not for that last bit, this would probably look damn near perfect. The nose comprises orange zest, grapefruit, lemon zest, apricot, very light leek, and mild caramel. The taste holds notes of orange zest, orange rind, lemon peel, grapefruit (both red and white), light pine, mandarin orange, and some even milder caramel than before. The body is a rather light medium, with a very light carbonation and a rich, smooth feel. Overall, a very nice APA. I probably didn't think as highly of it as many, but it is a damn fine beer, let me tell you.

04-24-2011 23:25:08 | More by TMoney2591
betsona

Idaho

4.3/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on cask at FFF brewpub. Served in an imperial pint at roughly room temperature.

A- Is slightly hazy orangish gold (though the brewpub is so dark it was hard to determine). Three finger frothy off-white head that typifies a cask pull. Head dissipates into a thin film. Plenty of lacing on the glass.

S- Subdued due to the cask pull (had the draft after), still lots of hop smell. Citrus overtones with orange peel and grapefruit. Not much of a malt tone.

T- Smooth. An explosion of citrus notes on the tip of the palate followed caramel backbone that leaves the palate wanting more.

M- Light to medium body with correct amount of carbonation for cask, but not necessarily the style. Did not linger in the mouth.

D- I liked both the draft and cask, but in the end preferred the subdued quality of the cask more. I enjoyed this beer when it was called Cenotaph and continue to enjoy it as Zombie Dust. Would gladly buy in any format that is produced and sold.

03-11-2011 16:26:02 | More by betsona
TheBishop

Montana

3.91/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I don't get the hype around this beer. Well I do actually and it has to do with a catchy name and limited distribution. The rarer it is to get the higher the rating. Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer no question. But top 250 in the world I doubt it.

04-17-2014 22:08:35 | More by TheBishop
Kramerwtmf

3.89/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

For me this beer didn't live up to the hype at all. It was a solid brew but hardly the sixth best beer on BA. I still enjoyed it and would like to try it again but for my money there are several other FFF beers that I've had that I would much rather get my hands on.

04-17-2014 03:56:00 | More by Kramerwtmf
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My sister-in-law was nice enough to bring me a few of these (fresh) from Chicago. I've always been a fan of Three Floyds, and I was happy to finally try this- it did not disappoint. Beautiful beer, with a burnished gold color contrasted with a stark white head that leaves some decent lacing. Citrus and herbal aromas with a touch of grain. Clean and fresh smelling. The taste is where it's at. Clean citrus and a touch of clean sweet malt. Candied grapefruit peel followed by a long spicy hop finish. All very pleasant and quaffable. I'd drink this all the time if I had access to it.

04-16-2014 20:42:20 | More by Georgiabeer
SnOwRiDe1080

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm lucky enough to live within an hours drive of the FFF brewery and can find Zombie Dust on the shelves at a # of different local liquor stores.

A - Pours a med amber/orange with a bit of a haze that increases with the age of the beer. About one finger of head that doesn't dissipate too quickly with decent lacing.

S - You can detect the citrus coming from the hops immediately. A little bit of pine & some bready malts

T - Crazy hopped up ale. Great citrus and pine up front and finishes with a great sweet malt

M - Smooth w/ great carbonation. Medium body.

O - It's not as good as you may have heard, it's better! Not you're usual APA with some of the best hop flavors and smells you'll ever come across. My favorite part is how drinkable this APA is. Most beers with this much flavor aren't nearly as smooth. Well worth the time and effort it takes to find... "It's Not Normal"

04-16-2014 01:16:59 | More by SnOwRiDe1080
ajcuster89

Connecticut

4.69/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Probably the most popular year-round offering from FFF. Had this on tap at The Tap craft beer bar in Bloomington, IN. Had it in bottles many other times, but nothing compares to fresh from the tap. A hazy golden color with a surprisingly creamy head for a pale ale. Smell is fantastic; pine, citrus, flowers. Taste was smooth and biting all at once, a true masterpiece of a pale ale.

04-14-2014 23:26:13 | More by ajcuster89
BeerandWhiskeyHQ

4.15/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Pale golden, hazy. Small white head. Decent lacing
Nose:
Sugary, sweet, tart, notes of candy, citrus, grapefruit, pine, spruce,
Palate:
Mild and smooth palate with bitterness coming on strong in the long, crisp finish. Pine and malt come through strongly, mouth feel is light and clean
Overall:
I really like this beer, it seems to get overshadowed by the gumball head, but I submit that this is the superior brew. Its easily drinkable, not too over the top and very well balanced

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

04-09-2014 14:13:31 | More by BeerandWhiskeyHQ
FFreak

Vermont

4.43/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I finally got to try the real ZD after drinking half a batch of my cloned version...Thanks Brennan! This is a nice APA that I could drink over and over. Pours a hazy dirty-orange with an off-white head. It has an amazing tropical fruit aroma, which carries over to the taste, combined with a perfect balance of bitterness. The mouthfeel is a little thin, but maybe that's what makes it so drinkable. Overall, a very approachable APA that I wish they sold in my neighborhood.

04-08-2014 14:32:32 | More by FFreak
VelvetExtract

4.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours an amber/orange hue. Body is lightly hazy. Head is a thin chunk of white frothy foam. Strings of lacing are left behind.

S-This legendary, Citra-induced tropical fruity hop bomb lives up to it's reputation in the nose. An amplitude of citrus, mango, nectarine and bright green grass.

T-Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, apricot, moss, grass and on and on and on. A superabundance of Citra! It also has a soft maltiness that reminds me of biscuits. When done right, this hop brings forth the most pleasurable aromas and flavors...and it was clearly done right here.

M-Medium bodied. Somewhat resinous. High, lingering bitterness. Still maintains an exceptional level of drinkability. Lasting aftertaste.

O-Holds its own with any IPA...because it is an IPA . Was probably my most beer up until finally trying it. It most certainly lives up to the hype. Elite.

04-02-2014 23:13:30 | More by VelvetExtract
BurdockBoy

Oregon

4.69/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pored from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. Bottled about a month and a half ago.

A: golden amber color with about 2" of head with some lacing.
A: a pleasant blend of hops and citrus.
T: very nice hoppy flavor with not much bitter aftertaste. More of a sweet aftertaste, but not overly so.
M: moderate carbonation, very refreshing.
O: A very good pale ale. Definitely worth the hype on this one.

04-02-2014 01:47:28 | More by BurdockBoy
peacemakers48

This is one of the best beers in the world. May make my top 5 so far. Fanatic smell. Great hoppy taste with no bitter nice. Nice sweet aftertaste but it is never too sweet. This the perfect beer to sip or to drink 3 or 4. Not overpowering at all. This beer will not disappoint.

04-01-2014 03:35:21 | More by peacemakers48