Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,432
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,375 | Hads: 8,960
4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Murky looking damp pale amber with some orange tone. Half a finger of head, sticky lacing in my tulip. Aroma is plentiful citrus, tropical fruits, and some passion fruit. Just an amazing scent. The beer has a great pale base but man does the hop flavor pop. Crisp and citrus like hop flavor that carries through the beer. Tropical fruit flavors, mango, pinapple, passion fruit. The massive hop presence creates just a hint of cloyingness. Typical pale mouthfeel, medium bodied with appropriate carbonation. This really is one of the top pales I've had.

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz. bottle, poured into a CBC glass. Much thanks to Duff27 for this beer I was quite excited to try. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a beautiful shade of very light orange. Strikingly translucent clarity. A one-finger white head just won't quit, and lasts throughout my experience enjoying this beer.

The aroma is phenomenal. The brightest, most vibrant citrus I've ever gotten out of an APA. It almost smells like a freshly-cut lime, the citrus is that alive. Sticky, resiny pine notes, like being in a forest. I get a little touch of biscuit in the back end. It's nuts.

Oh Three Floyds, how endearing I find your over-the-top, abrasive hoppiness. The hop presence in this beer is absolutely huge, it totally coats the palate. In the middle, I get a little hint of graham crackers for some nice counterbalancing sweetness. But really, this is all about those beautifully piney, resiny hops. This is ultra-floral, and so smooth.

Carbonation is a little low for my liking, but not too far off the mark. To call this drinkable would be a tremendous understatement.

I drank this bottle while watching one of the penultimate episodes of the most recent season of Breaking Bad. Suffice it to say, Zombie Dust is becoming my Blue Sky. I want to drink this on tap and from growlers. I'm not sure I could ask for more, taste-wise, from an APA.

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Picked up at the brewpub. Poured into a FFF XV pint glass. Served at fridge temp.

A. Dark golden kind of burnt orange body, A nice creamy 1 and a half inch egg shell head. Great lacing.

S. Big citrus smells freshly squezed oranges and lemons with some pineapple. Also get some nice grapefruit.

T. Bitter grapefruit and pine, good amount of lemon. Ends with a earthy grainy taste.

M. Feel is crisp slighty thin and well carbonated. Goes down reall easy very drinkable. Very bitter dry finish.

Overall another winner here. Very tasty,light and drinkable. Great single hop APA. Citra hops are amazing. I would definately recommend.

4.07/5  rDev -10.4%

A: Copper in color, firm looking, thin white head of foam

N: Citrus hop bomb up front, tangerines, hop oil, resin, some toasted bread with a slight honey-ish twang.

T/M: Clean spritzy, citrus hops, dominant tangy hop flavors, lemon peel, almost wheat like and refreshing but with a great hop resin that strongly sticks on the palate. The hops eventually give way to more of that great toasted honey-ish character that I find in a lot of FFF beers; subtle notes of fresh pears, pineapple and tangerine.

D: Would make a great lawnmower beer if you're in the mood for a little assertive hop character to go along with that refreshing, spritzy quality.

P: 12 fl oz bottle in to a globe glass.

A: SRM is harvest yellow. Head is off white, 1/2 in with normal pour, dissipates to line the rim of the glass. Medium/heavy carbonation. Light lacing.

S: Hops come right off the top, emparting grapefruit/citrus notes.

T: Hops hit perimeter of pallet initially, but much more subdued than the smell suggests. Light malt notes are present on the middle of the palate and creates a balanced overall taste. Aftertaste is slightly bitter hops, but just in the back of the palate.

M: Hop/malt balance along with carbonation and medium/light body give a mf that is very easy and agreeable while still challenging the palate.

O: Very good beer. I did not think that 3F possessed the restraint to so delicately craft a beer like this. Truely an APA, but this is not suggested by the nose. Big hops, but when you drink this beer is balanced and mellow, yet still hoppy. Well done.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

Enjoyed courtesy of aasher who went to the anniversary party and picked up a case. I feel like most are not worthy of this beer. Poured into New Belgium snifter with a quarter-inch of white foam head and decent lacing. Color is a ruby-amber.

Smell is immediate citrus with grapefruit, lemon, and most importantly pine. So much pine. As weird as this sounds, i smell a tad bit of dark roast, bitter coffee.

Taste is all kinds of floral and citrus hops. Pine, earth, lemon, orange, caramel, and that bitter coffee i was talking about.

Mouthfeel makes you happy that you didn't know what kind of expectations to have for this beer. Carbonation is perfect for a floral pale. Aftertaste is unlike anything ive ever tasted.

Can't wait for this beer to gravitate to the central part of our state. Three floyds has a magical hop garden that is unmatched.

4.69/5  rDev +3.3%

Zombie Dust, oh Zombie Dust. This beer is an infectious disease that spreads like the global plague that wipes out the rest of humanity except for a select few, only to be left to fight the hordes of brain flesh craved zombies. Once it touches your lips, there is no escaping it. You are uncontrollably turned into a zombie for Zombie Dust. Insert Dawn of the Dead references here.

This beer is ridiculous. It pours a light to medium bodied auburn in color with a slight white lacing around the snifter. The aromas are other worldly. The citra hops are both insane and perfect. This beer is so ridiculously aromatic that it haunts your dreams. The flavor too, citra overload with some orange zest, light pine, slight caramel malt, with a touch of alcohol. It's exceptional. The detection of alcohol is the only knock I have on this beer. This beer should be knighted, nominated for saint hood. It drinks light in body and is both kickass and sessionable at the same time. I drank two beers multiple times at Dark Lord Day, Pliny and Zombie Dust. I had four of these at Darkness Day. I drank six of these throughout the day at the FFF Anniversary party. This beer is just ridiculously awesome, I can't get enough. Three Floyds masters pale ales like no other.

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

A - In between Alpha King and Lagunitas Sucks in terms of color. no cloudiness like Alpha King. Lacing disappears surprisingly fast.

S - More citrus and less sweet than Lagunitas Sucks. So good. Smell is awesome. Minimal hops. Smells makes me want to drink it so badly.

T - I was thinking this as I finished smelling this beer: IT is not complex. It tastes somewhat one-dimensional. However, that one dimension is really quite near perfect. Maybe this is why people love it so much. Aftertaste has some bite, but it's pleasant... lingering but pleasant. Mouthfeel is great. Love the bitterness.

O - Really nice. This is my gfs favorite beer which maybe makes me love it too. It really is great.

EDIT: Had this alone tonight. Bottle was maybe 90 days old. I. loved. it. Definitely a 5 for taste. Changed my review to reflect my new feelings.

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Poure from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass. Beer was a hazy orange color, with a two-finger, white head. Slow carbonation and heavy lacing around the glass.

Aroma was hops, citrus and biscuit. Very nice.

Taste was bitter hops, biscuit, grain and grapefruit.

Dry finish. Really full and enjoyable beer. I could drink quite a few of these.

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

I first had this beer when it was called Cenotaph. I thought the beer was pretty good but when I had it again at the Three Floyds Anniversary Party I was pretty much blown away. Hands down the best American Pale ale I have ever had. You could say I was pretty bummed when I went to pick up my beers and this was sold out. Glad I got to try it on draft and hopefully will have some here in AZ soon.

Appearance: Served in my plastic cup this had a nice golden yellow color to it and a slight haze to it from what I could tell. Great color! Nice white capped head that stuck around right to the finish.

Smell: As soon as I took a whiff of this I was in heaven. Didn't expect to be treated with such a tremendous smell. All kinds of citrus going on. I detected mostly orange and mango followed by some pineapple and a little peach and grapefruit. Has a nice biscuit note on the end.

Taste: Aside from the wonderful smell the taste followed the nose completely. Lots of Citurs --mainly orange and mango. So easy to drink. Has a great cracker/biscuit quality on the after taste which I love in my IPA's and Pale Ales. Hardly any bitterness to this one at least compared a beer I drink regularly --Stone IPA. I think the recipe was definitely changed since Cenotaph because I do not recall loving this beer nearly as much. This beer brings it all-- smell and easy drinking, tastiness.

Mouthfeel: Has the perfect amount of carbonation. Had just the right amount of carbonation to deliver an awesome tasting experience. They nailed this one pretty much perfect.

Overall: I cannot say enough about what a great beer this is. I look forward to try it in the bottle. I can pretty confidently say that not only is this the best pale ale I have had but probably my new favorite beer in the ipa/pale ale category that Three Floyds produces. I used to think Daisy Cutter was the best pale ale out there but this one beats it and beats it solidly. It helps that my favorite hop being Citra is used in this one. I couldn't get enough of this beer when i was at the party and look forward to getting as much as people will trade me. If anyone reads this and wants to do a trade hit me up and I will definitely make it worth your while.

4.12/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Bright golden orange color. A bit on the unfiltered side. Large carbonation bubbles lead to a small, one finger, barely off white, cream colored head. Lace is kind of minimal right now and stays that way to the end.

Smell is fantastic! Huge citrus and pineapple smells. There is some pink grapefruit and tangerine. The hops really take a shotgun seat. Pine resin and leafy hop cones really make this a complete and wonderful nose.

Taste is similar to the nose but different. The really citrus flavors aren't at all as prominent and almost turn from a hop bitter to a malt bitter. There is a real earthy/grassy flavor that isn't detectable in the nose. I also get some malted sour apple candy taste.

Mouth is crisp and creamy. With a medium body and an average to long, wet finish.

Overall I really enjoyed this, but am over it. I have heard such great things about this APA, that maybe it coming from FFF I was expecting an IPA profile like Alpha King. Maybe I'm being way too hard on FFF, because I expected that. Rambling I may be, the point is. This is a fantastic beer. If you hold FFF to an ultra high standard, like I do, then you will be a bit disappointed. With this being said I am happy. Thanks to TIMMYJ21 for this extra.

4.15/5  rDev -8.6%

Tasted On: 11-16-2011
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle
Glassware: Globe glass
Purchased: Received in the US South LIF

Color is a hazy dark yellow/orange. The head is off-white and frothy, of maybe 2 fingers in height. Retention is good and lacing is very good.

Aromas are of hops, hops and more hops, featuring floral, grassy, citrus and tropical fruit characteristics.

Taste is crisp, clean and very bitter, with little malt presence. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky in the body and highly carbonated. Aftertastes are of hoppy, citrus bitterness.

As a vehicle for highlighting the Citra hop, this beer delivers well. Not a style I'm crazy about, but execution is excellent.

Thanks to Janderson91 for this one!

Pours a clear deep golden orange with a light tan head and some large bubbles sitting on top. The nose has a light grain profile, a touch of doughy malt, citric bite and notes of mango. The flavor follows the same path but a bit fruitier and more integrated. The grain and dough malt balance pretty nicely on the assertive fruity hop flavors of citrus and other tropical fruits. The bitterness is assertive but not overpowering on medium body with a clean semi dry finish. Another solid hoppy offering from FFF, if only they could get sugars eaten in their stouts.

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

Trader dvelcich hooked me up with this beer in a recent trade. I'd tried this at GABF, loved it, but didn't get enough to do a full review. Big thanks out to Dan for coming through with a bottle!

Pouring into an Old Rasputin nonic pint glass. Hazy, medium golden with a slightly rocky off-white head that's holding firm and leaving lacing behind.

Big, juicy nectarine and peach fruit in the nose. Dried mango. Hops are first and foremost but a very subtle toasted malt lies in wait for a patient nose.

Large and in charge fruitiness, loaded up with hop flavor. Like biting into a yellow peach, perhaps a nectarine, very inviting. Mostly clean malt is in a strong, dual supporting role keeping order and making sure you come back for more. Dry finish with a lingering fruity hop.

Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation.

Overall this is one hell of an American Pale Ale. Aggressively hopped with a wonderful fruity hop character, super-drinkable.

4.59/5  rDev +1.1%

A- darker golden color, good white head with some good retention. A little lacing, not much.

S- Smells like a ton of hop flowers slots of sitting in my hand. tons of hop resins....amazing aroma. really blew me away.

T- Lots hop character, but still balanced. Really i get citrus, earthy, and a little hint of summit in there. Really digging this. Very clean finish, slightly dry.

M- Very soft and light bodied.

O- amazing pale ale, pushes the boundaries of the style for sure.

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Picked up a couple bottles while in Chicago last weekend.

A - Pours golden orange with 2 finger creamy/frothy head. Bit of hop haze - gorgeous.

S - Where this beer shines. All fruit - peach, mango, orange, grapefruit, pineapple. Incredible. Minimal malt background.

T - Doesn't quite fulfill where the nose leads. Fruitiness up front, bitterness and resin in the back. Really great pale ale but isn't nearly as fruity as the aroma.

M - Creamy, moderate bitterness, dry finish. Perfect for the style.

O - Wish I had more of this beer. Probably the best pale ale I've ever had, just wish the nose didn't lead me on as much. If I could have it daily I would.

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

The body is mostly clear, but with just a little bit of haze. It's a reddish orange hue.

The smell is fresh, juicy, tropical fruit; mango, tangerine, and orange.

The taste is also juicy citrus hops. There's a little support from some bready malt but make no mistake, this is all about the hops.

Mouthfeel is medium light with good carbonation. Slightly dry on the palate.

This is a terrific pale ale, one of the best around.

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: Hazy orange with a white head.

Smell: Hops, oranges, grapefruit.

Taste: Orange, grapefruit and hops.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation with a medium dryness.

Overall: It's the ruby red tangerine of beers! Very tastey! Great crisp finish. Cheers!

4.67/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a hazy orange with a decent head and sticky white foamy lacing all around the glass for most of the beer.

S: Aromas of grapefruit and pine, little bit caramel scent.

T: Kind of bitter with a citrus profile. Very pleasant aroma. At 6.4% its teetering on the edge of IPA, but whatever, just a classification anyway. Very well rounded with bitterness, aroma, hops, and caramel flavors.

M: Highly carbonated and stings the tongue with a medium body for an APA. Absolutely love it.

O: Overall this is a solid APA, strong and well flavored. After all the commotion this beer has caused in the forums for the past year or so Its definitely good, and I drink it all the time probably because of convenience but still it is one of my favorites.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split the purchase of a case of this at the 15 Anniversary party.

Served chilled in my new 15 Annuversary glass.

A: Wonderful golden honey hue. Foamy white to finger head that is slow to dissipate.

S: Citra hops! Fruity pineapple and orange notes.

T: This beer really showcases the citra hops. Strong taste of pineapple on the nose that gives way to the perfect amount of bitterness to finish off the taste.

M: Light body with a good amount of carbonation. Sime oiliness from the hops. Well done to the style.

O: This stuff deserves the hype. Great beer!

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

Had this on cask at Clark Street Alehouse in my first ever trip to Chicago.

A: Golden yellow with about two to three fingers of head.

S: Lots of citrus, grapefruit, and a little pine in the background. Wonderful aroma.

T: The citra hops really shine in this beer. Strong citrus and grapefruit flavors, followed by some grassy pine notes.

M: Medium mouthfeel, almost creamy. Still went down exceptionally well.

O: This was my first try of a FFF offering and I am thouroughly impressed. I think I just found my favorite APA. A must try beer.

4.05/5  rDev -10.8%

12 oz. bottle from Woodchopper. pours a honey gold with a one finger head, fades to spotty lace. the nose on this one is off the charts, full of orange, mango and apricot. taste is sweet caramel malt with a nice balance of lingering yet mild bitterness. very nice and I’d love to sit down and have 2 or 3 of these, but if I had to choose between this and Alpha King, I’d go with with the King.

4.15/5  rDev -8.6%

A - Orange with a 2 finger white head.

S - Pine, sweet, and very grassy. Reminds me of certain green teas in it's grassyness.

T - Grassy, pine, a slight bit of citrus. Good amount of bitterness.

M - Medium, good amount of carbonation.

O - A great "Pale ale". Drinks much more like an IPA, minus the honey.

4.12/5  rDev -9.3%

12oz bottle received in a recent trade with immobilisme poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a near perfectly clear pale amber gold color with a cap of fluffy white foam that stands a solid finger high with good staying power. Head falls slowly and leaves a thick sheet of lacing on the glass.

S - Smell is dominated nearly completely by thick citrusy grapefruit - strongly reminiscient of that first whiff of fresh fruit as the fruit is peeled. Mild hint of pineapple, light earth, sugar. Very hop forward APA.

T - Sweaty and grapefruity, some peach and pineapple. Fairly bitter overall, especially for an APA. This really has a majority of its character fitting into the IPA category. Dirty, dank, full of hops - citrus mostly with some earthy hops underneath.

M - Pretty heavy feeling, full bodied, syrupy, sweaty bitterness, green hoppiness...tastes fresh. Carbonation is high and quite prickly on the tongue.

O - This is quite good overall. I think it is a bit heavy overall and (can't believe I'm saying this) maybe a bit over-saturated on the hop flavors - probably just a particular aspect which I associate with armpits. Glad to try this one - don't think it's really an APA...it's a good IPA for me, worth seeking out, but definitely not my favorite either.

4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

-pours a very opaque amber color with a tall white head. there is some great lacing and retention involved as well

-very citrus forward hop nose character. i am getting tangerine, orange and some pineapple. there is also sting type sensation in the back of the nose

-there is a real flavor blast right up front and then it really mellows through the middle and end. the initial blast is tangerine and cuties. right after that there is a bit of a bitter rind type taste which will linger through the finish. it is a real quick flip of flavors that seems weird on the palate, but not necessarily in a bad way

-i posted a bit on the feel in flavor with the flavor flip mouth sensation. there also seems to be some very tight carb bubbles here. there is a bit of oily feel towards the back of the mouth

-this is very good. i would even call it great in the sense that it seems like it is going to be one of those IPA's with the mislabeled PA on it based on the smell, but the flavor isn't too hop forward, just really nice and balanced

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.