Join our email list →

Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,531
3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

American Pale Ale (APA) | 6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,413 | Hads: 9,178

Appearance: Radiant Gold
Smell: Fruity
Taste: Strong grapefruit/citrus.
Feel: Drinks easy without being too light or heavy.
Over All: This has become my absolute favorite beer. Everything about it is heavenly.

4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Bright, orangy yellow. Thick, snow white head.

S: Citrus, roasted nuts, allspice and herbs.

T: Easy drinking. Balance between citrus fruits and hoppy resins and warm savory nuttiness, even a hint of warm milk.

M: Not too thick or thin. Small, tight bubbles.

O: Very enjoyable APA. Agree with other reviewers that it's high quality, but maybe a little over promised and under delivered.

4.37/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A great, green hop tasting pale ale by 3Floyds. A light butter scotch malt profile followed by big
Grassy hop flavors, bitterness doesn't lingering making it very drinkable, beautiful golden color and thick white head.

4.04/5  rDev -11%

Pours a golden orange color, honey-like. Smells very citrusy, a little grassy. Taste is smooth and less bitter than I expected. Very strong orange, grapefruit taste at first, with a little pine and some maltiness coming into focus after you swallow. The mouthfeel is actually much thicker than I expected as well. I felt pretty full after drinking 12 oz. Overall I think this is very good, one of the best APAs I've had, but I think some of the hype for this beer is over the top. Very good, but not a divine revelation.

4.37/5  rDev -3.7%

I had the opportunity to visit FFF over the holidays. I went in completely unassuming. I live out of state and haven't experienced any of their beer. I would consider myself having above average knowledge of the craft world, and I enjoy a variety of styles, but I'm a hop-head first and foremost. First thing I noticed was the sign on the brewpub door that said "No Zombie Dust." This was the carry-out section of the brewery. My party went inside to eat and we put a name in with the host. We were told 20-25 minutes. They didn't have anywhere we could have a beer while we waited (major bummer), so we went and looked at merch. Cool stuff, if you're in to the comic/metal scene. I could take it or leave it, but I can still appreciate the creativity behind it all. We were called to a table after 20 minutes and immediately ordered flights (Alpha King, Alpha Klaus, Gumballhead, and Robert the Bruce). We also ordered full pints of Zombie Dust. My initial thought was this would be an IPA. I didn't realize it was an APA until I read about it several sips into the glass. We knew immediately this was a special beer. The citra hops release a very pleasant, and strong aroma. A fresh citrus front end with a heavy-hop finish was all I remember of the first half of my glass, it went down that easy. Extremely drinkable is the best way to describe this. You would not peg this beer to be 6%+. The girls all agreed this was very good and we rarely connect on the same beer. I will agree that much of the allure comes from the scarcity of this label, but it's still world class. I put it on a similar level as Maine MO which I think is excellent, too. I give the edge to ZD on taste and also price.. Cases were $40, tax included, which I see is up from $35 from a few years ago. I was surprised it wasn't more expensive, quite frankly. MO was at Total Wine recently for $9.99 for a 16oz bottle. ZD breaks down to a $10 six pack which is a tremendous deal for what you're getting. Granted, this is brewery pricing, so I could be wrong.. My overall opinion is that it's a top tier beer and the desirability is a lot of fun when you have some and your friends don't.

4.83/5  rDev +6.4%

All around, Zombie Dust is an exceptional American Pale Ale, showcasing the best of the Citra Hop. While TG's Psuedosue is very similar and even has a little more complexity of taste than it (have done side-by-sides numerous times), Zombie Dust always takes the cake with its balance, approachability and citrusy goodness.

While it remains my favorite APA and even IPA (lines are blurred a bit with ZD), it needs to be enjoyed fresh as the smell/taste fades quickly and becomes almost a different beer after 4 weeks. This is my only knock on it. Usually not a problem at retail as these brews move quickly.

4.6/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12 oz to becker. Somewhat clear with an amber color and a powerful aroma. Pine hops and fruit. Excellent flavor of pine (obviously) and nuts and with a little bitter kick. Lots of flavor. Cream mouthfeel. Overall excellent.

3.53/5  rDev -22.2%

Enjoyed this from bottle and keg. Keg was better.

Slight aroma, nice color.
A very drinkable pale ale....clean and smooth.
Didnt linger on the palate as long as I would like.

I liked this beer, but to me, didn't live up to the hype.

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark golden orange color with tangerine edges and a two finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a thick, lasting ring. Excellent retention, taking a while to settle and coating the glass with large streaks of soapy lacing.

Dank floral hop aroma with earthy resins and freh cut grass countered by sweet citrus/tropical fruit and a pale malt backbone. Grassy pine and dank buds along with grapefruit, pineapple and blood orange zest. Really nice sweeter counterbalance to the bitter earthiness. Pale malts evident without hindering the hop character with notes of biscuit and grainy cracker. Smells pretty good.

Medium body but on the full side for a pale ale. Blast of dry, earthy bitterness up front that lingers over the sweeter hop notes and pale malt backbone into a crisp, dry finish. Grassy pine, spruce tip and dank, sticky resins followed by a nice tropical/citrus fruit presence. Some tart ruby red grapefruit, pineapple and zesty orange peel. Pale malt with subtle caramel sweetness, toffee, light toast, biscuit and grainy graham cracker. Malts are stronger than expected but don't interfere with the excellent hop flavors. Instead, they provide great balance and contribute to the drinkability of this crushable beer. The bitterness is just so dank and flavorful without being too strong or overpowering. Another very nice beer from Three Floyds.

4.64/5  rDev +2.2%

I have heard a lot of buzz about this one and had the fortune of trying it a few months ago. It is extreme citrus, which I like. The hops are definitely there but there isn't a bite. The smell and the feel are absolutely the star.

4.16/5  rDev -8.4%

OK, overrated IMO. I prefer the profile and body of Alpha King to this. This is more light bodied and dry-hoped than that beer. Fantastic, no doubt, just not the best FFF offering.

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Full disclosure: I'm not sure I can give any pale ale straight 5.0's....it's just a pale ale after all, right? Well, this beer puts that instinct to the test!.

The star is definitely the nose. It's one of those beers that after popping the top you go around to any adult in sight screaming "Oh my gosh, you have to smell this." A lovely citrus bouquet. This is without a doubt the most fragrant pale ale I have ever had. Great carbonation and mouthfeel. This would absolutely be my go-to beer if it came in 12-packs here in Alaska (will NEVER happen, but a man can dream).

4.08/5  rDev -10.1%

Good beer. Too much hype. Was expecting world changing instead just really good pale ale.

I'd take any of the trilliums pales over this, and a slew of ipas.

4.3/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale orange color with a thumb sized cream colored head.

Nose is lots of hop aromas citrus and tropical fruits with good doses of pine thrown in for good measure. Defiantly a 3 Floyds nose on this one. Malt is muted by hops but does offer some sweetness to the nose.

Taste is fairly bitter hops right away citrus with lingering pine bitterness. The fruity notes in the nose seem to be overrun or non existent in the flavor. There is a burst of carbonation at first sip that tends to lay the pine resin on your tongue. The malt also comes out in the finish along with lingering pine and dryness. A solid Pale Ale no doubt but maybe little over hyped for me, as i was expecting nirvana.

Mouthfeel is light with a burst of carbonation to lay down all the alpha acids.

Overall a fairly solid Pale Ale that could pass for an IPA. But for those who haven't had it don't worry too much about it is not the Holy Grail by any means. That being said TY Tara for bringing me a 12 pack back with you from your visit with the family.

4.64/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber poured into a tulip. Light orange to honey under a slight tan foam that settles after a few moments to a thin layer of bubbles. The head clings to the glass in a thick band that leaves a globby lace. The nose is deeply citric with pine resin on the background with an underlying sweetness that suggests brown sugar. Juicy citric hops upfront with a touch of malt sweetness that turns bitter turning to dry. Perfect carbonation with a dry mouth and a light, pleasant lingering hop fueled bitterness. Overall I can see why this one gets such high marks, this is a great beer! Big thanks to Abu for the bottle!

4.2/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On draft in a tulip. Nice orange color with small amount of lacing. Nose is not that robust - I get the citra for sure, but it is a bit muted by the malt. Taste is much better - great play back and forth between hops and malt. Citra is a fickle hop - too much or not balanced and it gets pissy. This one hits that balance well. The finish is great - the body and yeast leave a pleasant, almost dry linger.

This is a very good beer. Maybe not living up to the hype in my opinion, but still a great, easy drinking, and unique pale ale.

3.59/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This particular bottle was a few days over its two month bottling date. Id like to have a fresh one in the near future. That being said, here is what I thought:

A - Poured a cloudy orange with a very lackluster head, almost non existent. The head there died down almost immediately.
S - A nose full of citrus with mixed fruit, tropical pineapple?
T - Tons of citrus from the get go that mellows after a few seconds to maybe even a very little piney note.
M- There was a medium mouth feel, very smooth and pleasant.
O - Thankfully the flavors were there. This was a good beer, but I have a feeling the fresh one I have next time will really shine. To no fault of the breweries own.

4.94/5  rDev +8.8%

Finally got my chance to try this. On tap at CCB 2 days after FFF tap takeover, i'm sure this keg will be spent by the end of the day. poured 16oz into IPA type glass. Looks just right 4.75, smells perfect 5.00, tastes world class 5.00, Feels even better then all the hype. 5.00, Overall this is the best Pale Ale I've had yet. 4.90

3.99/5  rDev -12.1%

Bottle marked ?0810W20115 0 (so maybe august 10th, maybe 201st day, end of July):
I have had a small sample of this before, and will balance that tasting with this review.

Appearance is more orange than gold, decent head on pour, receding to the edges, but quick to return with agitation. Beer is cloudy to being almost opaque initially, some clearing.

Nose is lightly dank on this pour, I recall it being stronger on my previous sample. Some amount of resiny pine still comes through with grapefruit and maybe some pineapple notes.

Taste is nice, not balanced but appears that way. Mostly sticking to the classic citrus notes, but backed up by the green grapefruit pith, almost dank, bitterness Citra can give off. The citrus comes through a little more in this pour than I recall from my tasting.

Nice carbonation, medium body, enjoyable feel overall.

A very well made APA that definitely bleeds into IPA territory. Will always welcome this beer when I get a chance.

4.37/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

6/21/15..I think it's fifteen, the date is a little smudged. I'm guessing that's the bottle on date and not the best by date. Still over 4 months old :c foggy gold with bubbly head that recedes quickly leaving sparse lacing. Decent amount of carb bubbles. Smell is biscuit, grass, bready malt, and some pine. Taste is very well balanced with the same flavors. Leaves slight dry stickyness on the palate and fades quickly but a decent aftertaste lurks. Great beer! Now I have to try fresh

4.81/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am a HUGE fan of Zombie Dust. This rating is based on having it dozens of times (at the brewery, from the bottle, on tap) and every single time I am really impressed with it.

The balance of this beer is what really makes it shine… Hop bitterness is medium, if not on the low side of the spectrum (at least the perceived bitterness). The citra hops deliver wonderful flavor and that tropical aroma.

It is just a very well made beer all around… It does drop off quick in the bottle, so be sure to drink as fresh as you can get it.

4.31/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled 10Sep15) into a Mikasa ale glass.
LOOK: Pours with a half finger's worth of white foam that shrivels into a line after 20 seconds. Honey orange in color. Rising bubbles are small in size and very scarce in quantity. Lacing is thin and subtle.
SMELL: Has strong aromas of citrusy hops that entangle with mild aromas of sweet bready malts, floral hops, oranges, mangos, grapefruits, papayas, peaches, and apricots.
TASTE: Strong flavors of citrusy hops and mild flavors of sweet bready malts first strike my palate. Mild fruit flavors mentioned in the smell enter right after. As all malt and hop flavors persist, but fruit flavors grow slightly stronger, subtle bitter hop flavors finish off this incredible symphony of flavors.
FEEL: Medium-bodied and highly carbonated. Goes down rough and finishes with a moderate dryness.
NOTE: An incredible beer that smelled and tasted wonderful. The mouthfeel and appearance really brought down the overall rating, though.

4.21/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thank's to Capt. Wisconsin! This is has been on my "want" list for a while and now it's got...or rather a had :). Now for my two-bit review. Zombie Dust is an extraordinary Pale Ale, an well-hopped Pale, a so close to "India" Pale, that my palate is having a hard time acknowledging what the label says. Regardless, this lives up to all the hype! Smooth, well-balanced, and extremely drinkable, Three Floyds hit a walk-off home run with this one!

4.87/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Chris for this one.
Pours a brilliant burnt orange color with a thick head. My nose receives a heavy dose of citra- the odor is not mistakable. Heavy aroma from the head - Classic citra hints citrus, grapefruit, etc. very little earthiness to this beer. Hint of caramel as well. Taste is unbelievable. Tops PseudoSue in my mind. Perfect balance of malt roast to citra quality. Excellent beer. One of the best I've had to date.

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

12 bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Pours a clear copper with 1" white head that recedes somewhat quickly. Retention is really quite good, lacing is above-average.

S: Pungent citrus rind & a bit of a spice note, mainly black pepper. Grapefruit is present. Fresh-baked bread. Not bad, but not terribly deep.

T: Comes on with a burst of orange-rind & some bready sweetness to temper it. Mid palate features a mellow-but-noticeable bitterness punctuated by an undefined citrus quality. The finish is decidedly maltier, with more of a bready character & a touch of lemon zest at the end.

M: Moderate carb married to a somewhat heavy but very dry, almost chalky body. More than big enough to support the flavors here, maybe even a skootch too much.

O: Very, very good hopped-up Pale.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.