Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 3,981
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,007 | Reviews: 1,328
4.22/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Acquired in a trade with oldschool9

From 12 oz bottle to pint glass

A: Copper-tan in color, opaque with chilled haze, a gentle pour creates a tight, 1-inch head that leaves cascading lacing around the glass.

S: Hop-forward bouquet with big citrus-y notes, distinctly grapefruit-y. Honeyed malts and earthy tea notes round the bouquet.

T: The flavors follow the nose, with crisp citrus notes at the front, quickly followed by notes of honey and earthy, floral aspects. Incredibly balanced palate, the finish is short, bittersweet and leaves little residue between sips.

M: Deceptively light on the palate, well carbonated. This is as easy to throw back as they come.

I've had a lot of good hoppy ales lately, especially all of the amazing sessionable IPA's coming out locally. But this is right up there with the best. I've been able to try this at bottle sharing sessions, but it was great to sit down and review my own bottle.

4.63/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I wanted to start this review mentioning that I am not a huge IPA or APA guy. I am just starting to delve into them. This beer is an orange-gold radiance to it. It pours very nicely. Leaves a thumb width head when served from a tap or poured from a bottle. The smell has a faint citricey smell followed by a grainey finish (for those of you that have looked at a couple of my other reviews, I state that I am a big fan of anything citrus flavored). This smell got me kind of excited. With the first taste of this awesome beer, I did pick up hints of grapefruit and then a strong bold taste that I'm not used to experiencing (again, just starting to delve into IPA's and APA's) all the way to the finish. The beer had nice viscosity and felt nice all the way across the palate. After the first beer I was a big fan and have had many bottles since. I am fortunate enough to live within a hours drive of FFF and have made a couple trips to pick up cases of ZD. I will be drinking this beer many times again down the road. Cheers!

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

First off, I do not like IPAs, review comes from a stout lover, was fortunate enough to get my hands on a bottle of this 2014 ZD.

Beer pours a nice clear orangy golden yellow with decent amount of head and lacing. Not too murky, probably on the darker side given the style.

On the nose it just smells like sweet hops, really citrusy, sweet, delicious. Simple but amazing.

Flavor wise, it starts off with a tiny hoppy bite, I'd say more like a nibble. Then the sweet citrusy hops just take over and wash all that away. Its not a very complex beer, but man the hops are killer. Definitely critus flavor domination, not much florally hops going on at all. Also, not bitter at all.... I really don't normally like hoppy stuff that much but this beer has changed my mind a little bit.

Mouthfeel is incredible too, this beer goes down so easy and so smooth. Its so wet (not dry at all), fruity and sweet its almost like a candied beer. Every sip you take just beckons you to take an even bigger swig each time. I finished mine extremely fast, rest of my buddies were still sipping theirs and mine was done, I'm usually about halfway done with my drinks when people are finished. I kind of wish I had savored mine more...

This is a case of doing something really simple, really, really well. A finely crafted brew for sure, would definitely snag this again if I had the chance.

4.75/5  rDev +3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.