Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,019
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
AL89BR

05-16-2013 23:00:17 | More by AL89BR
BigbROB

05-16-2013 17:26:15 | More by BigbROB
JamesShoemaker

4.29/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I received a six pack from redsand22, thanks again, along with a bottle of Permanent Funeral. Between three of us, we polished off the sixer in a night, yet another good offering in a long line of pale ales that I've had recently.

ZD is an interesting beer and deceptively strong for its ABV. Normally, with a strong nose and citra hop profile like this, I'd see this kind of beer landing right between seven and eight percent by volume; though it's close, ZD has a little less than that, and ever fewer than expected IBUs. It drinks like a big malty IPA, like Sucks or Undercover Investigation Shut-Down, and honestly I found it difficult to discriminate between it and other west coast IPAs. This isn't to say that it's not delicious, of course, but it seems to me that the popular pale ales all fall on the bitter end of the malt spectrum. They're still sweet in their own right, but nothing like Hopslam, Union Jack, Sculpin, or Head Hunter, all of which I prefer to ZD. Of course, getting down and dirty with cross-style comparison is a no-no on Beer Advocate, I'm comparing them by way of taste. Like I said, I don't taste a huge difference between ZD and Lags IPAs and DIPAs, even though they're technically different styles.

Would I get ZD again? Of course. It's delicious, affordable, and brewed year-round, even if it's difficult to get off site. A fresh bottle of it would blow a stale bottle of any of the above listed beers out of the water, but that's not to say that it's better. The margin of difference between these top tier IPAs, DIPAs, and PAs is so slim that it's negligible.

05-16-2013 16:11:59 | More by JamesShoemaker

05-16-2013 14:33:02 | More by Benjiehorn
hopoilcrazy

Tennessee

4.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've had Zombie Dust many times, but never reviewed because it doesn't need any more praise, but....

A - Awesome hazy orangish gold. Awesome puffy light head that stays around and punches lacing into the pint glass.

S - Lemon pith, orange juice, citrus everywhere. Very light malty toast notes

T - Not very balanced, but awesome nonetheless! It definitely showcases the Citra hops well. Barely toasted bread, orange pith, pomelo, aspirin big time, almost a sort of implied saltiness.

M - Nice and light. Perfect timing that I got this at the start of summer in TN

I love this beer so much that even though I can tell the certain batch I am drinking now is not the freshest, it still does the trick!

05-16-2013 06:11:22 | More by hopoilcrazy

05-14-2013 15:43:33 | More by BeastLU
ubenumber2

Arkansas

3.94/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into pint glass , almost an orange color with a one finger head and nice lacing

The nose is sweet and malty with hints of citrus , pine and earthy tones

Super mouthfeel on this beer with just the right amount of carbonation , goes down so smooth

The taste is super hop forward , the malt kind of comes through in the middle the the malt and the bitterness comes through at the end.

This is just wonderful , the flavors are all so complex but come together so nicely and make for one hell of a brew.

05-14-2013 14:45:39 | More by ubenumber2

05-14-2013 05:38:20 | More by bainard
4amepiphany

4.69/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drinking a fresh one right now as I review this.

I'll never forget the first time I had this. I was new to craft beers, though I knew what to look out for. As a noob, I found myself taking sip after sip of my glass, getting a lot of flavor, but not enough of it, so I wanted more.

Living in IL, I take ZD for granted sometimes, as FFF releases it whenever they can. I don't hunt for it all the time, but when it's on sale at the brew pub, or if I see it on a shelf, it's a special treat.

I'm a single hop guy, I like to experience the pure flavor of a single hop in all its glory. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy complex beers, but that can get very subjective at some point.

It looks wonderful for an APA. a bright amber hue, head that sticks to all sides of your glass, never liquefying, but clinging on as proof to the solidity of this beer. It smells rich. It smells of that signature FFF taste. It tastes of the signature FFF beer, but with a sweet citrus that seems to fight with the bitter finish. Crisp. Refreshing. Sits on the palate for just the right amount of time. Lingering. Begging for another sip. The mouthfeel is medium, just enough to not be chewing gum. So you want more.

I'm biased. Citra and Mosaic are my favorite hop variety. But if you enjoy citra, This is worth seeking out. You'll need the whole six pack.

05-14-2013 04:57:33 | More by 4amepiphany