Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,286
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My local liquor store gave me a bottle of Zombie Dust. They have been doing this about every time I go in there because they say I am a good customer. :-) Normally, IPA's, APA's are not on my radar because I normally don't prefer hoppy beer.
I notched my score up because I think someone who does like this style would probably love this beer. The smell is great. It has that grassy hop taste that is common to this style. But there is something silky smooth about Zombie Dust. It's aftertaste isn't just an aftertaste. It's more like this green velvet over coat for your tongue and the roof of your mouth. That's what really strikes me it's not merely an aftertaste but a coating you can feel and taste long after you've swallowed. I've never experienced such an amazing, live aftertaste. Zombie Dust is very hoppy, floral, kind of fruity and very tasty.

rbmjr1, Jun 23, 2013
4.66/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

First of all, I went into this tasting with a bias AGAINST Three Floyds. I have had Gumballhead which I liked, and Pride and Joy which I did not. I thought maybe with the hype they had a little Emperors New Clothes thing going on.

I apologize. I was wrong.

APA is probably my favorite style, and up to this point Daisy Cutter was my personal favorite.

Poured from the bottle into a standard pub glass. Color was an excellent golden amber with nice two finger head that had staying power. Very pleasant citrus fruit smell from the hops. On the first drink I was just blown away. Complex, juicy, balanced flavor with grapefruit and shortbread notes. Just fantastic. The type of beer that you want to savor each drink but can't wait to take another. Light bitter aftertaste that just begs you to pick up the glass again.

My local bottle shop gets about a case a month of ZD and breaks it up with a two bottle limit and sells out in about two hours. I will be waiting on pins and needles for the next 30 days.

pmorey, Jun 23, 2013

4.59/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle in pint glass
courtesy of Matt

A: Crystal clear copper color with a thick white head that leaves a thick coating of lace.
S: Massive citrus and tropical fruit nose, like Hawaiian punch
T: Juicy, fruity hops with a subtle bitterness at the end. Slight crystal malt sweetness adds to the fruit punch feeling.
M: On the high side of carbonation for the style helps to balance out some of the sweetness, comes across as a weird (in a good way) mix of sweet/fruity and dry.
O: Holy crap, this is a tasty beer, an amazing amount of "new" hop flavors without being a ridiculous bitter bomb. Almost too easy to drink, I could finish a six pack in one sitting, but the alcohol would eventually catch up and that is a shame :) I keep flashing back to my memory of Masala Mama last summer (also an amazingly good beer). Highly recommended.

wspscott, Jun 21, 2013

tun, Jun 20, 2013

striker2160, Jun 20, 2013

RyanCFriedrich, Jun 19, 2013
4.59/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a hazy golden orange in color with light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some apricot + bright orange highlights. The beer has a two finger tall fluffy cloudy off-white head that reduces to a medium sized half finger tall dense foamy cap with a thin film covering the majority of the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of toasted and caramel malts underneath much more intense aromas of citrus/grapefruit/orange, tropical/mango, and pine hops.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted and caramel malts that impart a light to moderate amount of sweetness. The malt flavors are followed up by even more intense hop flavors than were present in the smell - there is a significant amount of citrus/grapefruit and citrus/orange followed by moderate amounts of tropical/mango and finally a light to moderate amount of pine. Moderate amounts of bitterness in the finish which lingers slightly.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp upfront and slightly dry in the finish.

O: This is an extremely enjoyable beer with wonderful flavors and aromas from the hops - I really enjoy the combination of the citrus and tropical hops with just a touch of pine. I found the beer to be quite easy to drink and extremely enjoyable. I would drink this beer all the time if only I had easy access to it.

dbrauneis, Jun 19, 2013