Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,385
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros

buzzword, Aug 08, 2013

thebeerprophet, Aug 08, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Orange in color with a thin white head

Smell - This is by far the best smelling beer I have ever had, hands down. There are so many fruit and hop smells going on it's hard to even pin them down. Massive amounts of grapefruit and pineapple are definitely present with mango as well. The hop smell is dank and wet and coats our nose. I could not be more pleased with this aroma

Taste - Unlike many single APA's or IPA's that have a fantastic aroma and then have none or few of those flavors in the actual beer (Founders All Day IPA comes to mind) this beer is far from that. Everything you smell in the beer is there on the first sip. The initial wave is amazing, just as the first smell is. A gush of mango and pineapple and grapefruit come over the tongue with a wet dank hop taste following. However the only 60 IBU's and 6.5% ABV start to show as the more the beer is drank the more watery the flavor becomes and results in this beer having almost no lingering flavor on the tongue and no aftertaste

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is very thin here, almost water like. It makes the beer very session-able and will leave you wanting to drink more, but not necessarily because of the flavor profile, which off the bat is fantastic

Overall - This is without a doubt the best APA I have ever had and also has the best aroma of any beer I have ever had. That being said I was a bit disappointed in the mouthfeel and the lack of a real flavor punch I would expect from a beer that is so highly rated. It is a fantastic beer and definitely worth trying, but is not quite to the pedestal that people put it on, especially compared to Hopslam or Heady Topper. I understand those are DIPA's versus an APA but just the fact that all three are rated in the top 20 for beers

WiscoBrewsco, Aug 08, 2013

gspeicher, Aug 07, 2013

thestupidpunk, Aug 07, 2013

johnny29er, Aug 07, 2013
4.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I figured I'd do my first full review on a legend--3 Floyds Zombie Dust. I'm a HUGE hopehead, so I've been eager to try this one for quite a while, especially given its near messianic status on this site (as well as others).

Poured into a tulip glass, the first thing I took in was the smell--Awesome; fresh and fruity, with plenty of hop character, this one doesn't smell nearly as "stinky" as expected (I figured the 'Zombie Dust' would have to figure in somewhere). Got a good inch, maybe inch and a quarter of foam, and the beer pours a satisfying golden orange color (relatively opaque). Not bad so far.

Two things stood out on my first sip: 1) This isn't the taste revolution I was expecting (based on hype), and 2) it's an incredibly balanced beer. It's got a full hop flavor for a beer this light (and it IS relatively light), and everything feels very even. Starts out with lots of citrus and hops, finishes with a more wheaty, creamy taste.

Don't get me wrong, this is indeed a great beer, and I can certainly see why people like it so much--It combines the flavorful qualities of a DIPA with the lightness and drinkability of a session beer. With that being said, if I'm going just based on whether I'd choose this over my favorite hoppy beers (Navaja by Half Acre, IIPA by New Glarus, and RuinTen by Stone), the answer is no.

So I guess this is what I'll say in the end: As a pale ale, or just a hoppy session beer, this is easily one of the best. But if you're obsessed with hops, chances are you'll find other beers that satisfy your craving more.

Kudos to FFF though, for a great job brewing, and for the fantastic bottle art!

SeanBond, Aug 07, 2013