Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,226
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
AltBock

4.56/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz. bottle with a sweet ass glossy label. This label was done by a comic artist and it shows it. On the label is a zombie king wearing a gold crown, a Spider-Man style spider on his chest, a Superman cape, and holding a Thor style hammer in his left hand. To the left of the zombie king in big bold lime green comic style lettering is the name of the beer. Flanking the good king is a brief description of the beer and all the mandatory US info. No best before or bottled date anywhere. Thanks!

When poured into a pint glass, this "supposedly" rotting blood thirsty corpse of a beer was actually a very beautiful semi hazy golden amber with some faint lemon yellow highlights. Not only was the color impressive, but the head of foam as well. The initial head of foam was a good 3/4 of an inch in height and almost as fluffy as a new pillow. As for the color, pure white. White as the driven snow. It had great retention that left behind a milky white film and streak after streak of white lace. The milky white film lasted until the last drop of beer was gone. Eye candy all the way! The beer's appearance is the complete opposite of a zombie.

Does it smell like a zombie? It certainly does not! Very potent, but not rotting flesh potent. The first aroma that came pouring out of the glass was the thick aroma of ripened to perfection grapefruit. Once my nose got its fill of grapefruit, my nose found the fresh scent of lemon zest, lemon grass, a dash of coriander, a splash of orange peel, more grapefruit, and a load of bitter citrus hops. I was able to detect a small whiff of toasted malt at the end. When I found that, the grapefruit and hops swept in and covered it up.

This beer did not let up and it wasn't going to anytime soon. Like the aroma, the first thing that came out was the perfectly ripened bitter and tart grapefruit. Waiting patiently behind the ripe grapefruit was the great taste of tart lemon, a pinch of lemon grass, a drop of orange peel, a small slice of pineapple, and a few pine needles. The taste is not done yet. After all that, in comes a thick powerful wave of bitter citrus hops. Unlike the aroma, the grapefruit and citrus hops let in a touch of malt at the end. They didn't cover it up like they did in the aroma. They let it out of the cage for a short time.

Despite clocking in at 6.4% ABV, this was a medium bodied beer. There was more than enough carbonation to keep your tongue entertained for hours. If that's not enough, there was also a full flavored aftertaste. The aftertaste was just as good as the initial taste and just as hoppy. The aftertaste had more bitter and tart grapefruit, tart lemon, a splash of orange peel, a few blades of lemon grass, and bitter citrus hops. This nice aftertaste lingers on for a few minutes. I'm glad that it stuck around.

What a beer! This beer made me a zombie. Instead of looking for juicy brains, I'll be looking for more of this delicious beer. Sometimes a beer will hide behind a cool label. This is clearly not one of those beers. The beer was just as good as the label. Would I drink another one? That's a stupid question. Of course I would. I would drink a six pack if I could find a steady supply. I would like to thank my good friend Matt for giving me the opportunity to try this sweet brew.

03-10-2013 06:40:16 | More by AltBock
blakelive784

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to Docrock!

12 fl oz bottle served in a pint glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a murky golden orange color with two fingers of off-white, thin head. Retention is poor.

S - Pungent. Sweet citrus, bready yeast, orange peel, lemon zest, caramel and grapefruit. Amazingly well balanced. A fresh hoppy aroma while remaining incredibly well balanced. As well executed as I've come across for the style.

T - More woody and piney then I'd found in the nose. The freshness of the hops is amazing. A sturdy crystal malt backbone counters the hops nicely. Tangy citrus and resinous pine come through on the finish.

M - Crisp and light. A bit dry even. Oily.

D -Incredibly drinkable. I wish I had a year round supply. Great beer. My first beer from Three Floyds, and I can't wait to try more.

03-10-2013 05:58:36 | More by blakelive784
mnphish

4.94/5  rDev +6.9%

12oz bottle shared with yamar68 & thank you for this Bennett. Poured into a a wine glass. Appearance is light orange, pretty clear, with a nice two finger head.
This beer smells like a 5. Potent hops, extreme dose of tropical fruit.
My palate just had it's mind blown. Well, it's exactly what i was looking for. It's an IPA to me and it's world class. Peaches, pineapple, citrus, and other passion fruit - extremely tropical and a bit bitter, balanced as well. Mouthfeel is crisp, light, extremely drinkable. Overall this is IT!

03-10-2013 04:25:16 | More by mnphish

Oklahoma

03-07-2013 03:52:21 | More by OUJayhawk1799
HOP_KING

4.81/5  rDev +4.1%

My favorite beer. Have had many chances to drink this and it's failed me zero times. I've gotten sick of other citra hop beers but not this one, it sustains everything that I like about beer. An excellent make by FFF.

I rated it high so will discuss more about areas I didn't give it a 5, also excuse my inability to phrase fruity descriptions on paper.

Appearance is always good, though I do prefer appearance of a slightly darker ale. Smell is fantastic, though a beer like Westvleteren to me has a better aroma. A bit more kick I suppose.

Taste, as noted above my favorite so it gets the top rating. With that had to give it top rating for mouthfeel too seeing that everytime I finish a sip or gulp in my head I'm smiling and thinking wow that was fantastic. I probably do this in reality sometimes too.

Overall, a solid 4.75.