Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,019
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
gir02021

12-06-2012 01:31:14 | More by gir02021
kpclemens

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from 12 oz Bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a clear orangish gold with about an inch off white head; very appetizing.

S - slight citrus, grapefruit, hops, but not bitter.

T - Upon fist sip, I get hops as expected with an undead pale ale but right after; grapefruit and a sweet fruitiness followed by a strong flavor of Citra hops. dry finish. Really reminds me of a dryer version of Gumballhead.

M - just what you'd want, it goes down smooth. Not really good at describing mouthfeel.

O - This is my favorite pale ale.Probably the BEST pale ale far as taste and balance goes. I love the citrus that offsets the dryness. Its not overly bitter that its smacks you, or ruins your taste-buds for the night. It's a really balanced and really refreshing pale ale. Glad I'm so close to the brewery so I can get this stuff whenever available. if you have the oppertunity dont hesitate.

12-05-2012 22:50:35 | More by kpclemens

12-05-2012 05:42:03 | More by cocoapuph
secondtooth

Indiana

4.45/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy caramel-amber in color, with a rich and foamy head of thick, extravagant lacing.

Nose is tropical fruit hops, simultaneously sweet and tangy. Marvelous!

Taste is lovely citrus-tangy and hoppy, with a firm and heavy malt foundation. Still, the taste is predominantly hops, and this premium pale ale is absolutely a winner in my book. I'd repeatedly purchase if I could find this anywhere!

12-05-2012 04:21:06 | More by secondtooth
djgoodwi

12-04-2012 23:41:37 | More by djgoodwi
mishtif

4.98/5  rDev +7.8%

poured into a pint glass.

i heard all the hype around this beer and it made me drive to the brewpub and try it.

I was very happy with this brew.

Pours a hazy golden color with 1 finger head on it

taste like fresh citris and notes of pine and greapdruit .

medium body - drinks great on a hot day

it finishes with a strong dry hop

All in all this is my favorite beer to drink anytime, doesnt amtter if you sittin in tha garage with a few friends, or at the pub on a cold winter day.

12-04-2012 18:36:18 | More by mishtif
Photo of

You rated this beer. Consider writing a review.

12-04-2012 07:41:38 | More by

JLoden

12-03-2012 14:50:56 | More by JLoden
kojevergas

4.04/5  rDev -12.6%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap (and nice art, for that matter) served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given its current ratings and the hype surrounding it. I believe this is my first purely Three Floyds review - though I did have the Boogoop collaboration. No visible bottled on date.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm slightly over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted pretzels.

Some foam ballooned out when I opened it, but there wasn't any upsurge of beer or anything. It might be a bit overcarbonated.

A: Pours a three finger luscious beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention. Body colour is a hazy copper-gold. Vibrant and appealing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Delightful floral hops and some lemon citrus twang. Grapefruit. Lemongrass, lemon zest. Hints of pine. Pale clean malts. A good balance of floral and citrus hop notes. I'm excited to try it, but the aroma itself isn't blowing me away. A moderate strength aroma, and a pleasant and fresh one.

T: Delightful floral hops throughout, but with an underlying soapy hint (maybe a bit too long spent in primary?). It's a minor issue, but it does distract. Some pleasant grapefruit and lemon citrus esters introduce themselves mid-second act and hang around through the climax. Pale malts provide the clean, unobtrusive foundation - letting the hops take the forefront but also giving a bit of sweetness to hide the hop bitterness. I actually get a bit of alcohol warmth in the stomach - shocking at its mere 6.40%, but I'd consider this a pleasant warming sensation in the winter. Hints of a candi sugar like sweetness beneath the surface. It's very nicely balanced and rather refreshing. Delightfully built. I'm not blown away by its complexity, but it's well put together and succeeds within the style. I get no yeasty notes. A bit too much buttery character on the finish.

Maybe I expect a hoppy character on par with a good IPA, but I have to remember it's a pale ale. It's a masterfully brewed one at that, but I do think there's room for more complexity within the style.

Mf: Chewy, smooth, soft, wet. Carbonation and thickness are ideal. Good presence on the palate. Has enough body to present its flavours. Refreshing. Slightly oily. Even a touch buttery - too much so on the finish.

Dr: Probably its best attribute is its high drinkability. I could down this one all night. Dangerously drinkable. It's a great pale ale - amongst the best I've had - but I have to admit I expected more given the hype. It's not a perfect beer as its current 100 rating might suggest. It doesn't hide its relatively modest ABV all that well, and it doesn't bring the complexity I think a perfect beer in this style would. I'm glad I got to try it and I'd definitely have it again - preferably fresh on draught. I want another already. Wow. I can't wait to try more beers from Three Floyds.

Constructively, I will say that its main flaw is that it uses a buttery quality to hide the hop bitterness on the finish. It works here, but lacks the seamless subtlety of more masterful brews. A great example of the style would integrate its hop bitterness as a positive characteristic. It's tough to do here because this is a pale ale with the hoppiness of an IPA but not enough of a malty backbone. I appreciate the experimentation within the style, but with some work this could be truly amazing.

B+

Best consumed sans food, or perchance with some unsalted pretzels or bread.

Serve cold.

A poor candidate for aging. Drink fresh.

----

Taking some more notes on this having received a bottle from the gracious Duff27 in a trade.

A: Pours a soft appealing frothy head of good cream. Body colour is a vibrant pale copper. Appearance is good for the style, but not special or unique.

Sm: Hoppy and bready, with hop character of juicy citrus, light grassy character, grapefruit, lemon zest, light pine, and heavy floral character. It's a bit murky yet still fresh; maybe it's a bit too grassy. Pleasant. I don't get any yeast or alcohol.

T/Mf: Juicy bursts of refreshing citrus hop notes and nectary character. Ideal crisp pale malt foundation. Smooth and wet. Very refreshing and pleasant to drink - a highlight of the beer. Delightfully well balanced and built, with impressive subtlety for the style. Not as grassy as the aroma. Clean. Good carbonation. It's not biting or sharp. Hop-forward without being too assertive or overbearing; they packed a lot of flavour in here.

Dr: Extremely high. I could easily chug this. Very impressive. I could stick with this all night and never grow tired of it. Quite delightful. This was definitely more fresh than the first bottle I reviewed.

A-

12-03-2012 02:26:38 | More by kojevergas
Photo of

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

You rated this beer. Consider writing a review.

12-02-2012 21:50:55 | More by

aaronblain22

12-01-2012 12:24:38 | More by aaronblain22
PsilohsaiBiN

4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Golden/amber in color with a nice 1 finger head that dissipates a bit in a few minutes.

Smell: Intense, multi-layered hop bouquet that punches you in the face. The smell is almost sour, if you will, from the intense concentration of hops. This is just a pale ale eh? Phhh.

Taste: Definitely matches the nose. Upfront you're hit with grapefruit and citrus. The end cuts out nicely. A dry, bready finish gives way to a bit of lingering bitterness that just agrees with the tongue and proceeds to smoothly be unnoticeable. The unique, initial hopsmack you get in the beginning is pretty cool compared to the dry, restrained finish.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, the hops attack your tongue and can't be forgotten, moreso than most mere pale ales.

Overall: A good beer that in my opinion tastes very similar to Pliny The Elder. Sessionable as hell, and tasty to boot. Would drink again.

12-01-2012 03:33:05 | More by PsilohsaiBiN

Granahan57

11-29-2012 06:50:25 | More by Granahan57
bcgood

4.98/5  rDev +7.8%

This is my new favorite beer. My favorite bartender here in Fort Wayne, IN suggested it to me and boy was he right! This is a new level for IPAs and honestly the new standard. I've been drinking beer for awhile now and honestly this is the best IPA I've had yet. If you ever get a chance to taste this direct from the tap I highly suggest it!

11-28-2012 19:35:45 | More by bcgood