Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,276
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,312 | Hads: 8,591
4.38/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Malt forward APA, some floral notes with a hint of citrus in both aroma and taste. It's definitely a very good beer, but doesn't deserve the #1 spot for the APA category.....Trillium says hi! (191 characters)

This is probably my favorite American pale ale but that should t mean anything to American pale ale enthusiasts because I am not a big fan of American pale ales. (161 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm not an IPA kind-of-guy but since they dominate the beer market right now, I will dabble with these types of brews. There is a near, almost mythical reputation about this particular IPA that I have been actively seeking it out. To my surprise, I actually found it on tap. I cannot say if the bottle version is as good but the glass I had yesterday was the best IPA that I've ever experienced. Despite it's strength, it is surprisingly smooth without losing characteristics which IPA's are known. This is one beer worth seeking out and do not fear its price tag, it is well worth the coin. (591 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The colour is amber, the high head is white. Lots of lacing occurs.

The smell is sweet with citric hops, honey, fruit candy and tree sap.

The taste is sweet with some perfume and lots of hops. Medium bitterness. Floral notes and resin. Medium body. Smooth malty aftertaste with green plants, some alcohol. The somewhat harsh finish is sticky with some tree sap.

The carbonation is strong, the mid-smooth bubbles are long-lived. The liquid is somewhat light.

Not bad at all, but not as fantastic as I had expected. (520 characters)

4.49/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lives up to the hype. Tons of aroma with matching tropical and tangy flavor. Creamier mouthfeel than a standard pale ale, but that's one of the things that sets it apart. All around excellent brew. (197 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Smell is initially a slight fruity aroma which leads to a bready note. Nice and crisp, reminds me of a less malty Pliny. Good bitter front but drops off. A really good beer. Glad I got to try it. (195 characters)

Unbelievable! Drank the first time and second time in a year later and still excel! This is one of the best beer I have ever drank, period. I rarely rated 5 stars, but this one deserves it and won't disappoint you. Amazing to see the low IBU from Zombie Dust and still delivered executing. Would linger on your buds and palate that long. Impressed. (348 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very good beer but I don't get why it has the majestic status it has. Don't get me wrong it's great but there are many beers that are at least as good. I'm really happy that I finally got to try it! (198 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First off, the bottle is amazing. Holy artwork Batman!! The bottle cap is by far the most creative one that I have yet to see.
A: It pours a darker shade of amber in color, tint of orange. Very clear pour with a thin, white head that dissipates into a white lacing.
S: As soon as I cracked open the bottle, it immediately filled my room with an amazing floral/citrusy aroma. I can detect grapefruit, mango, peach, very sweet, perhaps a hint of pine. The aroma is right up there with FPPA by Trillium. However upon pouring it into a glass I was able to detect some malty sweetness.
T: Unlike the nose a bit. I detect some malty sweetness with a dry grapefruit/hoppy kick to it. Slight bitterness. Definitely a combination of sweetness with dry hops. Can't detect citrus notes. Pine is fairly apparent.
M: Medium body, medium carbonation, hops are prickly to the tongue. Slight bitterness, definitely has a dryness to it which leaves the mouth wanting another sip.
O: I finally was able to get my hands on ZD!! It pays to trade I suppose; however despite being bottle fairly recently, (about 2 weeks ago) it's not as citrusy/balanced as Fort Point Pale Ale by Trillium. It's still very good, but I'd have to give it to Trillium. Next APA to try: PseudoSue (1,254 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 4/1/15.

Not sure if I've had this before when I lived in Indiana, but my first documentation of it.

Amazing aroma for a pale ale. Blew me away.

Only thing lacking for me was the feel. It felt thin and everything was quick to dissipate. Maybe because my bottle is just over a month old but I felt this beer could handle sitting in my cellar for 3 weeks since I purchased it.

Hope to try again soon. I will definitely seek this out again whenever possible. (472 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into New Belgium 'snifter'.

Pours a hazy dark orange-golden color. 1 finger white thick head that is sticking around for about the last 1/4 finger, and leaving nice lacing on the glass. Great big fresh tropical and citrus nose with a touch of pine and just enough malty character to let you know it's there. Taste comes through with delicate, yet tenacious pine, citrus, and tropical notes. Perfect, perfect, perfect body and mouth feel for an APA, finishes with a nice dryness, although I'm just looking for a bit more hop flavor on the back end. I mean, it's easy drinking, beautifully balanced, and nice and refreshing, so that's awesome, but I'm really looking for something to "pop" or send me over the edge. Doesn't stand up to others like PseudoSue in my opinion. Still, let's be honest. Pretty damn good. (827 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A friend brought back a six-pack to Hong Kong for me while this was still super fresh in February. Obviously there are times where I just like to sit back and enjoy a beer instead of always reviewing and as it is, two and a half months on, I’m down to my last bottle and so here’s the review. This 12oz bottle was bottled on 13 February 2015 and poured into a pint glass.

A: The beer poured a slightly hazy golden orange colour with a nice one and a half finger white head that dissipated fairly quickly leaving nice stringy lacing.
S: Intense aromas of tropical fruits especially pineapple and mango hit first, followed by some citrus grapefruit and a hint of bready malts finally ending with some hoppy pine.
T: Much like the smell, there was tropical pineapple, citrus grapefruit, some bready buscuity malts and a very nice bitter finish.
M: Very crisp, light and with medium carbonation.
O: I had high expectations before trying it and it lived up to those expectations. It was a very easy APA to drink and this is a must buy if available for me. It was best when it was freshest. Now lets see about 3 Floyds distribution to Hong Kong… hmm, I guess distribution = friends! (1,183 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle (thanks Nathan!) poured into a Russian River pint glass

A - Cloudy, tangerine color. Looks a lot like a WC style IPA. Fluffy off white head, great carbonation

S - Citra hops explode from the glass. Grapefruit, orange, lemon peel. A little bit of a floral note comes through underneath. Very juicy smelling.

T - Wow. An amazing Pale Ale. Citra hops like whoa. Juicy orange, tangerine. A nice hop bitterness throughout. Bready sweetness underneath balances it out perfectly.

O - Still the best Pale Ale out there for my money. I wish this was available in CA! (587 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -10.1%

Review is of a 20 day old bottle

Pours a clear, bright orange body. Head is 3/4 of an inch and pearly white. Lacing was good and head retention was outstanding.

Smell is of floral hops, rye malt, and spice like cardamon or coriander. Fresh cut grass comes through as the beer warms. Not much alcohol is detected.

Taste is of earthy and floral hops. Getting some lemongrass, pine, rye, and maybe ginger or something a tad spicy. Malt is pretty light and alcohol is barely detected.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied for an IPA, well carbonated. Nice head added to the body.

Overall good beer but I was expecting more because of the hype. I gravitate more towards the fruit forward pale ales, maybe thats why I didn't rate it higher. Solid beer though (747 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

light orange cloudy pour
Great fruity hoppy nose, grapefruit
awesome flavors, light malt, bright. Then the hops dance on the tongue. medium carbonation. Great beer. (167 characters)

Anyone who rates this beer below a 4.5 is crazy. I can regularly get this and it's always a go to for me. By far the best citra hopped beer out!

FFF doesn't make a bad beer! (175 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +9.7%

Overall, an amazing beer. If I had only one beer to choose from this would be it. Believe the hype, it's worth it. Very hoppy but smooth at the same time. Nice citrus and subtle pine notes. Definitely recommend if you can get your hands on it. (243 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into an imperial pint glass

A: Very nice looking orange amber with nice white fluffy head, lots of lacing, nice stream of carbonation coming off the bottom, head never vanished.

A: Amazing aroma, big citrusy piney, smells like an IPA.

T: Lots of bitterness up front, fades into a piney, citrusy, bread like flavor, malts on the backend, leaves a really dry evaporated taste, bitterness lingers, surprisingly the alcohol is barely noticeable, very nice.

M: Medium mouthfeel, finishes really dry.

O: Very impressed, the aroma is world class, even thought it's an APA, the aroma reminds me of Pliny the Elder, it's big, citrusy, piney, very nice, the flavor is almost IPA, but the mouthfeel reminds that this is an APA. Definitely a world class beer. (778 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look - Dark gold almost orange with bright white head. Good lacing.

Smell - This has a great smell for a low IBU / ABV pale ale. Bready and dank.

Taste - A great taste for what it is. Bread hits first and dank hops mellow out to the finish.

Feel - There is no sting on the tongue. It feels like soft water.

Overall - Why drink an imperial or double when you can get the taste from this pale ale? I really can't believe I only bought a 6 pack of this at the brewery. (472 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +8.8%

This beer has gotten me back to IPA's and pale Ale's
Found a little honeypot liquor store which has this on the regular.
Although its $17/6-pack, its still worth every penny.
This is something I compare other beers to consistently.
I know that 3 floyds is building another facility next door to the current bar/pub as I was just there last month.
If they could step up production instead of adding 20 other IPA's to their line up, I would drink this beer till I die(no pun) (473 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -0.4%

09/09/2015 is the date on the bottle. 12 oz.

A: slightly orange in hue. a decent amount of haze, but nothing too crazy. good looking brew.

S: aroma is full of pineapple hop juiciness. hop resins throughout. gram cracker grain notes in the aroma.

T: flavor is similar. tropical mostly, perhaps a little bit of pine hop flavor. a minor crystal malty flavor is fleeting at best. bitterness is moderate, a tad on the strong side in my opinion. tone that back a touch and this is even more lights out. maybe I got used to it, but I found this more and more drinkable throughout and the bitterness continued to fad.

M: average carb for a pale. medium bodied brew.

D: got the month plus old bottle from a co-worker. very appreciated to get to try this again since a trip to Chicago. hoping for an increased distribution of all things 3 Floyds. (844 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +7.9%

I am having a hard time thinking what could possibly be improved in the best beer I know... Maybe a bit more bitterness in the end, but still it's the best! (156 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +2.4%

Clearly not one to pass by. Aggressively hopped with a complex bitterness that just keeps growing. Pine, citrus and resin flavirs are pronounced while the malt takes the back seat. (180 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My brother brings this over as an extra he scored in a trade. This has been a long time want for me just because of the hype surrounding it. Relatively fresh bottle as I am told.

A: Hazy mellow gold with nice retention of foamy lacing on the glass. Very interesting a pretty for a pale ale.

S: Very interesting blend of the hop character with the base malts. Good amount of lemon hop sweetness and some other citrus notes.

T: Very interesting indeed. Opens up with a good non-assertive hop blend finishing out with strong honey notes. A bit of grapefruit and other citrus tones. It is a beer that I am savoring and really can't see myself just kicking this back.

M: Follows through excellently with the taste. The bitterness from the hop character is subdued and you the malts are constrained well as to not give off that somewhat lager-ish overly malty and sometimes copper taste that you can get from pale ales.

O: A great take on a pale ale and I would seek this out again. I can't put this ahead of Hoppy Birthday just because of my love for IPAs but this is definitely in the top 3 pale ales I've ever had. (1,117 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

This is an outstanding pale ale, definitely one of the best but not thee best imo until I try pseudosue. This just explodes with hop flavor and finishes with honey and I want to say toffee/caramel. Not as piney as some of the west coast ipa's I am use to, but I like this flavor profile much more. Only complaint here is the nose, which is definitely lacking although something I can live without. (397 characters)

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.