Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,384
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros

Nickfellow007, Aug 14, 2012

Domeshot14, Aug 14, 2012

pghawkins, Aug 14, 2012

ScottPatteron, Aug 14, 2012

Fuzzycuffs, Aug 14, 2012
4.55/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My 100th review, and I planned it such that I had one of my favorite beers at the right time. On tap at the brewpub in Munster on 8/12/12, served in a nonic pint.

Pour: Mostly clear deep orange with two fingers fluffy white head. Head diminishes to a light coating. Leaves great lacing.

Smell: Wow - a burst of tangerine and grapefruit, followed by some pine and pineapple. A nice caramel maltiness rounds out the nose. Very inviting.

Taste: Even better than the nose... Grapefruit and tangerines provides a beautiful citrusy opening. Gives a nice pine and orange bitterness. Caramel maltiness provides a really exceptional balance.

Mouthfeel: Not too bitter. Goes down so easily, but leaves an awesome bitter citrus/pine taste the palate. I could drink this all day.

Overall: One of, if not my favorite beer. Always a joy to drink this.

cfrances33, Aug 14, 2012

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
No born on date but picked up from the brewpub within the last 2 or so weeks.

A big thanks to Hopsmatt for sending this one over in a trade

A: Pours a golden amber with just under 2 fingers width of slightly off white colored head, which takes a good amount of time to dissipate down.  Leaves a fair amount of streaky lacing.

S: Citrusy hops, fairly big pineapple along with lemon.  It also has a big resinous character as well, with juniper notes.  Smells nice but not the citrus presence others have been harping on.

T: Fairly dull flavors initially.  I mostly just get lemon and pine on the backend.  Some resiny notes as well. Improves as it warms.  Pretty tasty, but simple and nothing special.

M/D:  Appropriate carbonation, medium bodied, slightly drying finish, drinkability is good, this could definitely be a session beer.

O: I dont get the hype here.  Its a decent beer, but I am by no means blown away.  I definitely thought Alpha King was better, and to me it remains the standard of the style.  This one was good, but nothing special.  Maybe shipping in the warm weather hurt this one (but I think that may be giving it the benefit of the doubt as I get the majority of my reviewed beers from shipped trades and usually dont notice ill effects).  A fine beer that I would purchase again if it were a local, but not something Id seek out or trade for again.  Glad I got to try it though.

zac16125, Aug 13, 2012

pwoody11, Aug 13, 2012

ParraPalliative, Aug 13, 2012

AldoRaine, Aug 13, 2012

PaBeerLover, Aug 13, 2012
4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

I long for an IPA heavy on the citrus notes without being too powerful on the pine bitterness. Three Floyds delivers pretty well with this brew.

A: Pours a cloudy, light golden yellow with minimal (1/4) head. Light carbonation nucleation with medium lacing.

S: Light with Predominant grapefruit notes with linger pine resin in the background

T: Light bitterness with citrus, grapefruit, and limonene. A hint of pineapple. Bitterness lingers through the back of the pallet but the front of the pallet finished smooth.

M: Light bubbles on the tongue. Moderately thick. Slightly syrupy. Not oily

O: A number of damn fine Pale Ales out there. This one may be a bit past its prime given its age of three months (fresh from the brewery the day of bottling), but I am not sure this lives up to the hype. Fantastic presentation of the Citra hops but a beer like this could use a tad more head and carbonation in my option, but we all like something different. Take away some of the pine resin on the back end and this one would hit my personal sweet spot dead on! Overall, an excellent brew… one of my 20 IPAs for sure!

Mscarpen, Aug 12, 2012

Soneast, Aug 12, 2012

k3bright, Aug 12, 2012

thinwhiteduke, Aug 11, 2012

patjohnfive, Aug 11, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

A: It has a nice soft golden color and doesn't poor with much head.

S: Has a great aroma and body to it. A nice blend hops and a fruit/citrus scent that smells like orange peel. You can definitely breath in the taste, great smell!

T: In my opinion, this has a unique twist on it not like many APAs I've had before. There is so much flavor in ever sip that combines hops with a subtle hint of pine and those citrus notes. Your first taste will want to quickly be followed by the next.

M: Not too bitter and doesn't leave your mouth dry. Does leave a nice lingering taste of hops though which is something I enjoy.

O: Probably one of my top 5 favorite beers. It just such a nice taste and body and finishes so smooth. A great beer to sit back with and enjoy on any occasion.

Ncpogs, Aug 11, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

A: pour is slightly golden/peach color, almost no head formation, no lacing and mild carbonation. Give it a few swirls and a very thin white foamy head forms.

S: huge smell of tropical fruits such as pineapple, grapefruit, enormous orange peel, huge piney hops. This is one hell of an aroma, absolutely amazing… usually don’t give into hype all that much, but this one is simply awesome.

T: more of the same tropical fruits as in the nose (orange, grapefruit and subtle pineapple). Awesome bitter piney hops balance this one out. Not very complex, but this one is extremely well balanced and has a very high drinkability

M: light-medium bodied, nice crisp finish, leaves a nice hoppy aftertaste that is mild enough to want me to take another sip. Extremely enjoyable and very high drinkability

O: this one lives up to the hype…plain and simple. Excellent smell, extremely tasty, high drinkability. Love the tropical notes to this one. Definitely one of the best, if not the best of this style.

tut2528, Aug 11, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -8%

12 oz bottle courtesy of grachdar. Thanks!

A: Yellowish orange. A pretty decent pour only yields a slight amount of head.

N: Pretty glorious. Lots of hops. Pineapple, grapefruit, some caramel and toffee, a little bit of pine. There's a really nice balance of sweetness and tropical fruit here, so this one's going to be right up my alley.

T: The taste lets me down after the promise of the nose. Very dry and earthy, with plenty of pine forest floor. Certainly nothing to complain about, but the dry hopping on the nose really makes my mouth water, and what I get is pretty dry and scraping without the abundance of the fruit.

M: Spot on for the style. There's enough palate coating, but the beer itself remains fairly light.

O: A pretty brilliant success, and a truly good APA. I received a 6 pack, and I'll be happy to share it with multiple friends. There's some excellent hop characteristics throughout on this, but my oh my, if only the taste was as good as the nose.

Sarlacc83, Aug 11, 2012

RDWhin01ss, Aug 10, 2012

I had a bottle of this sent down from up north:
Pours beautiful golden with thick one finger head into pint glass, steady stream of bubbles head to the top.
Best aroma ever from a glass here with superb hop bouquet of perfection: aromatic nirvana for me. Sweet grapefruit and pine as well in there, and if somehow in a tropical way the taste follows suit. Nice, nice drinkability, finishes crisp and bitter with a very appealing lingering hop flavor. I guess I really favor citra hops!! I'm trying to pinpoint any slight shortcoming here but I'm already at the last sip and haven't come up with anything. Even though the malt backbone was nice it was backstage of the hop florality (new word) and I like it that way. I'm biased toward anything IPA/ DIPA, and AIPA is the least visited of the style for me. But of the ones I've tried, this does it. Superb. Easily in my Top 3 ever. I'm only sorry I can't purchase it in my state.

TBoneJones, Aug 09, 2012