Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,047
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
BdubleEdubleRUN

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

Huge thanks to SpdKilz for this extra that I've been wanting.
12oz bottle poured into Stone IPA glass.
A- The beer pours a hazy golden color with a white frothy/bubbly head that resides to a ring and clings to the glass.
S- I'm picking up major hops with citrus notes as well as a very faint crayon type smell that is very pleasant in this. My wife takes a big sniff and says "mmm smells like sweet georgia peaches"
T- Big hops, grapefruit, orange, fresh cut grass and once again my wife informs me she tastes sweet and sour peach candies.
M- Fairly sticky mouthfeel with good carbonation.
0- This is a fantastic Pale Ale and my wife claims it is the best smelling beer she has experienced, which is actually saying a lot.
Thanks again Carleton.

09-27-2011 23:57:25 | More by BdubleEdubleRUN
pschul4

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

12oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A- Pours a beautiful golden hue with nice 1.5" head and decent lacing.

S- This is how an APA should smell. Very hoppy with sweet citrus undertones.

T- Very hop forward but in a good way. Sweet citrus backdrop just like the smell. Leaves the palate nice and clean

M- Nice carbination without feeling pop-like and a smooth dry finish

O- Amazing APA and probably my current favorite beer. Not a huge FFF fan (I know, weird right?) but this one is certainly a winner. Go find this right now and drink til your heart is content

09-27-2011 04:10:00 | More by pschul4
jethrodium

4.2/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz bottle. Generous extra from dougofthefuture. Thanks Doug. Pours a cloudy golden amber with a small white head that has good retention and leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is wonderful. Huge mango, light pineapple, light grapefruit, and some light honey. This is definitely a Citra hopped beer. The initial taste is some sweet mango that goes into a light breadiness with a bit of pineapple. The finish has some biscuit, more mango as well as a light bitterness. Light, slick mouthfeel and a relatively low carbonation. Great beer. I would love to be able to drink this regularly.

09-26-2011 07:16:09 | More by jethrodium
Mosley1212

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from the bottle into my DFH Snifter. Really excited to finally get to try this!

A--Poured a dull orange with lots of light coming through it. Eggshell head that was fluffy on the pour and dissipated slowly. Tons of lacing throughout the beer.

S--Hop-forward. Then comes the citrus. Papaya, mango, pineapple, lemon peel. There's also some funk on the nose. Perhaps from the hops, also like that of a pine cone or fresh-cut grass.

T--Fantastic citrus on the palate. The mango and pineapple are at the forefront. The hops are present, but not overpowering. Bitter aftertaste.

M--Medium bodied with little-to-no-carbonation. Thick head at the beginning. A little bit oily.

O--This was an amazing offering from FFF. It reminds me, honestly, of Gumball Head. This would be my everyday go-to pale ale if it were accessible to me. Fantastic.

09-25-2011 19:37:56 | More by Mosley1212
smokeypeat

Maryland

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

Big thanks to claaark13 for sending me some of this. I've been wanting to try it for awhile.

Pours a nice golden orange haze with a big sticky off white head. The lacing on this one is sticky and hangs around. Smell is an absolute knockout. Huge pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine notes. Citrus goodness just dominates the aroma. I feel like I'm at an outdoor farmers market selling only tropical fruit. Taste is only a slight notch below the smell with the bulk of that citrus hitting you square in the palate. The tail end of the taste has a hint of grass included with the citrus. Mouthfeel is solid though a bit dryer at the end than I expected. This beer really goes down easy though. This is another winner from Three Floyds and one that I will always have on my wants list.

09-25-2011 15:10:53 | More by smokeypeat
slentz

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to Mark for this bottle in our recent trade. Bottle art is ridiculous and shows an armored hammer wielding zombie wearing a cape and kings crown. One of the most bad ass labels I have ever seen. Poured into Duvel tulip at 50 degrees.

A: Strong pour down the center of the glass produces a two finger off white head that recedes very slowly. Beer is a beautiful golden color and pretty hazy. After two minutes there is still a very pillowy head on top of this. Looks beautiful in the glass. 4.5

S: The nose on this is very good. Tons of super fresh heady smelling hops....some of the best ever. Lots of grapefruit maybe even coconut. This one just smells super fresh very floral and piney, incredible. 5.0

T: I'm completely blown away by this beer it is great. Tons of hops with a very nice bitterness but not too over bearing. Picking up a sweetness of pineapple, apricot flavors a little malt. Great tasting beer. 4.80

M: Mouthfeel is very nice good carbonation level. Super slick on the teeth leaving an oily coating. Again this beer is on point with a very nice mouthfeel. 4.5

O: Overall I am thoroughly enjoying this beer. The hype around this beer is justified and this comment will lead to that hype but this one really will not disappoint. Although this is an APA it hangs with pliny, sculpin, abner, etc. without question. If you have a chance to try this definitely don't miss out. 4.5

09-24-2011 02:07:24 | More by slentz
tsatem

4.33/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz. bottle into a snifter, thanks to ColdPoncho.

A: Golden wheat colored and fairly hazy, I can barely see through it. Minimal head. Good amount of sticky lacing.

S: Lots of citrus, but really pretty sweet. I smell some honeycomb. Clover? Lots of bready malts as it warms. Pineapple. Very light and refreshing. Nicely balanced

T: Whoa, this is not what I expected from the nose…really not sure what's going on at first. Very sweet. Watermelon, strawberries. Once I pinpointed the watermelon, which took awhile, it was the main thing I could taste. Pretty grassy finish that's much more bitter than the rest of the taste.

M: Refreshing, smooth and crisp, not much of a lingering aftertaste.

O: Well this is interesting. Not like anything I've ever really tasted before, and a really fresh take on the style for me. I really like the change of pace. The disparity between the nose and taste is a little bit confusing, but that's about the only complaint I have.

09-23-2011 23:25:49 | More by tsatem
Gushue3

4.2/5  rDev -9.1%

A- 1 finger white head that turns foamy and bubbly and little lacing. The body is orangy in tue middle of the glass and a paler yellow around the edges.

S- real big citrus scent thats awesome. Orange, pineapple and mango are all over the place with a sharp slight bitter hop toward the end of the scent. Kudos FFF.

T- quite surprised to run into this much malt upfront. After that theres citrus but not really like thw nose. Slight lemon pucker some sweeter stuff comes through but stays more along the bitter end. Nothing over the top bit extrenely well balanced

M- medium mouthfeel that has lots of carbonation. Relatively dry finish.

O- good stuff. The smell was unbelievable and tasts although wasnt anything like the nose was still good.

09-23-2011 23:24:00 | More by Gushue3
mdaschaf

Washington

4.48/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a orange color with a one finger off-white head with decent retention. Little bits of sticky lacing form on the sides of the glass.

S: Extremely aromatic. There is a massive citrus/tropical fruit explosion in the aroma. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, and a bit of guava even. A bit of pine is mixed in as well as some faint graham cracker malt. Extremely fresh.

T: Certainly citrusy, with some grapefruit, pineapple, and a bit of orange. It does not taste as fresh or come off as tropical as the aroma did, though I wish it did. Very hop forward for an APA, which I am a fan of.

M: Medium bodied, a bit of the thick side for an APA, but drinks smooth and crisp.

O: A very nice beer, but I think I like Alpha King more. I definitely want to give this beer another go though and would love to drink them side by side.

Edit: Had on tap at FFF and bumped scored a bit. Was (4/5/4/4/4)

09-23-2011 17:58:42 | More by mdaschaf
mystikyle71

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev -1.5%

First, thanks be to a friend who was willing to part with a six pack from his case he picked up at the brewery! I have had this beer three time, this being my first bottle experience, and it has not disappointed once. This beer might not top my favorite list, but boy does it smell like my former favorite beer (Founders Harvest Ale pre-2010 batches).

A: Pretty much as expected here for an American Pale. No too much head. Orangy golden straw color.

S: Enough of the looks, this is where this beer flies off the charts. Gorgeous, explosive citrus. The nose alone makes me think I've just got my daily allotment of Vitamin C.

T: Not as phenomenal as the smell, but it's hard to compete. This is a pretty damn tasty beer. A little more malt is present than I was expecting. Not super bitter, but a little reminiscent of slightly backed off version of Alpha King.

M: Not heavy at all, but a good amount of body here for the style. Still finishes clean. So refreshing.

O: You want this beer.

Give me this, Oracle and 2009 Founders Harvest Ale every day, please.

09-23-2011 15:21:20 | More by mystikyle71
drewba

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Pours a dull, orangey-straw color with a perfect creamy two finger head with fair retention. Lacing is sticky and hangs around random streaks are hanging around for the duration. Looks great in a stone levitation glass.

S - The hops smell so incredibly fresh - bright lemon, sharp grass and a nice combination of grapefruit and pine. The malt (cracker) sweetness is peeking through ever so slightly. The aroma overall is not big, but it does smell fantastic.

T - Opens with some tasty fresh citrus - lemon, orange, a little pineapple, then hits with some light caramel and bread malt action. The hop profile finishes with a low, but steady amount of pine, dank grass and grapefruit. It's reasonably bitter for a pale ale and drinks like one; I'm not assuming this is an ipa like I did with my first Alpha King. Strong where it needs to be and subtle where it needs to be; well done.

M - perfect. The body is substantial and satisfying. I'm borrowing "pillowy" from Cavery's review below; astute observation, my friend. The carbonation is incredibly crisp without shadowing flavors.

O - This will be my regular drinker. I'm a huge fan of pale ales and this one tastes wonderful, drinks easily and doesn't overwhelm the palate.

09-23-2011 03:05:21 | More by drewba
birderbeerer

4.73/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy peach, not completely cloudy or opaque with a dense white head.

Big pine hops are the first aroma, then citrus, mangoes, peaches, then sweet pineapple. Smells juicy and promising.

A juicy tart taste. Pine and grass are equally present with citrus hops and fruity sweetness. Very sweet and refreshing. Great balance of tart and sweet. Interesting to have so many pine/grass hops with such lush tropical fruit flavor.

Denser than it seems from the sweet taste. Leaves a great sticky film in my mouth.

09-23-2011 02:29:12 | More by birderbeerer
kdmcguire10

4.6/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Persian Gold color. Eggshell white head, 1.5 fingers worth. Lacing is exception; outstanding retention.

Aroma: Blood orange sorbet. Citrus smell just explodes from the glass. Very slight bit of breadiness and not much pine. This is a blood orange, ripe pineapple bomb!

Taste: expertly balanced. The malty sweetness and the hop bitterness are so well balanced here. You really get the fruity, juicy hops. No alcohol. Slightly bitter, crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Light/Medium body. Just a perfect amount of carbonation.

Overall: Wow. I literally could drink this beer all day, every day. Three Floyd's never disappoints. This one is just so drinkable. Perfect beer for warm weather. One of the best beers I've ever had.

09-23-2011 00:50:11 | More by kdmcguire10
Cavery

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

Fresh bottle sent to me by SpdKilz, big thanks for this surprise. After having had Hoppy Birthday, I can't help but want to put that up against another top notch APA. Onto the review!

A: Pretty looking amber caramel with some slightly off white coffee cream foams. Lacing up and down the glass is as thick as a jungle. Sticky spiderwebs hatch the circular interior of the glass.

S: Smells almost like a resinous grassy gummy. Some unusual tropical fruits that burst with a fresh but not-quite-ripe greenness. It's like going through an orchard just before picking season. A tropical fruit cocktail of the more unusual variety. Light guava, passion fruit, and prickly pear. Thick pulpy melons at the rind. This really does make me think of cactus fruits.

T: Crisp pineapple cores, melon flesh at the rind, and a smoothie of passion fruit with edible flowers/grasses. Man what SUPREME flavor, just amazingly juicy hop forward flavor with a soft mellow green melon bitterness. The balance on this thing is so phenomenal, unbelievable flavor in here. This seeps juiciness out of my pores, unique tropical gummy flavors that instantly make this a tip-top flavor performance. resinous but with notes of pure tropical purees.

M: Soft cushioned pillow of a medium-light feel that's just spot on for the flavors. When I have this in my mouth, I believe that there is some pulpy tropical goodness wading midst the beer. An ultra fancy bitterness that primes the palate to perceive fruity textures and flavors. 100% pure flavor inception in the mouth.

O: I always try to make sure I don't gush on a beer when I try to give it a review, but this one really just makes me happy. I always want to leave room for another beer to come along and blow me out of the water, but you also have to pay your respects when you have a beer that does just that. This one has rocked me to the core, and I can't believe what a sensory experience this is. It's a Pale ale with an infectious personality, and I can see why this would be called zombie dust. If i had enough of it with me, I'd drink this till I was a zombie myself. Put this on your wants, and get a full pack. I have to admit, I think this is better than Hoppy birthday -- sorry Alpine. It's the juiciness, I still love the pine nutty malt on hoppy birthday, but damn this juiciness.

09-22-2011 21:37:09 | More by Cavery
MrMcGibblets

did some cutting and pasting here from my tap review. have worked my way through a case and a half at this point which i purchased on release day. this did not disappoint. to my mind, many beers are much better ontap, and i was worried this would lose something in the bottle. it didn't. if given tap and a fresh bottle blind it'd be nigh impossible for me to tell the difference.

a: deep gold w/orange highlights with a thick, persistent white head and lush lacing coating the glass.
s: citra hop aromas explode out of the glass-a bigger nose than most DIPAs. lemons and tropical fruit come to mind. pale malts in the background. aroma is far better than i can do justice to. i could just smell this all day long.
t: superbly balanced between the light to medium doughy/honey-like malt sweetness and the big, smooth hop bitterness. the thing that stands out the most is how juicy and fruity the hops are mid-palate. more juicy hops even than broodoo, hopslam, etc. loving the citra. hops get a slight grassy/resiny aspect in the finish. finishes dryish and clean with lingering juicy hop flavors. the malt/hop balance in this is impeccable. each sips begs another.
m: medium-bodied and softly carbed.
o: this can satisfy as a warm weather 'having a few' beer, or as a sipper-the flavors are much bigger than the abv would suggest. this is the only beer (gumball is close) that i can just drink over and over and over and not tire of it...it's all i want to drink and i have been struggling to consume some of the other standbys in my beer fridge.

09-22-2011 21:28:46 | More by MrMcGibblets
doughanson78

Washington

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Huge thanks to ruizjoseph for this (should have been) want.

A: Bright to dark orange, depending on how the light hits it. Almost one finger, slightly off white head, with great retention and beautiful lacing.

S: Wow. Big citrus hops. Just a combo of everything at once. Grapefruit, pineapple, orange, tangerine, mango, apricot, you name it. Light floral, earthy, and piney hops coming through also. Just the faintest hint of a malt backbone... this is one spineless beer!!

T: Not much sweetness upfront, just a touch. The hops come through in every form. Citrus, earthy, floral, and pine mix and mingle with class. None taking anything from the other. Just the slightest hint of bitterness, but also not really sweet either. Weird how hops and malts cancel each other out and just let flavors shine through.

M: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Probably the driest beer I've ever had. Great mouth coating.

O: All I can say is WOW! Blown away. Easily the Best Pale Ale I've had. It's like an IPA with out the bitterness or sweetness. Hops shine through without wrecking your palate. Truly an amazing well crafted beer!

09-22-2011 04:34:08 | More by doughanson78
cavedave

4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

Big thanks to hawks10 for this delicious bit of 3rd coast hop artistry

Pours a cloudy golden with a finger of white head that takes a dive down to a lasting skim. Some righteous lace arms hug my tulip.

Smell is a medium aroma featuring C-hops for sure, beautiful tropical and citrus, some nice neutral sweet. even some floral notes and a beautiful balance to it. As it warms some lemon rises into the nose as I drink a sip.

Wonderful taste, beautiful presentation of tropical fruit/citrus hops and tasteful bittering on a blanket of light sweet that is just grainy enough to give the flavors a great showing. It has a very blended taste, nicely balanced despite being almost completely hop driven. It's a balance of the many delicious flavors I find in the hop profile that gives this beer its appeal. The sip ends with some very tasteful bitter rising up to dry the sip perfectly.

For style this is at the upper limit of viscosity, but has beautifully low carb., and a finish that could easily define this style.

One day I hope to brew the equal of this beer. Until then we have Zombie Dust from FFF to drink. Get this if you can, it is staggeringly delicious.

09-21-2011 22:24:14 | More by cavedave
BigPlay1824

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: beautiful golden color, slightly hazy, nice carbonation bubbles, pours with a nice finger of frothy white head that lingers nicely and sticks to the glass with solid lacing
S: i had just barely cracked the seal on the cap of this bottle and i could already smell the great citrus hop aroma, so strong and sweet, just a great smelling brew, honestly might be the best smelling beer i have ever had, citrus hops but they're backed by something else that just gives it such depth and resonance, perfect
T: great hop taste, not too sweet nor to strong and citrusy, great depth, before the citrus backs out something a bit funkier that i think is reminiscent of peaches works its way in that gives it great depth and really helps it to finish smoothly
M: medium carbonation that backs out and slides away gently, smooth through the middle, leaves the mouth....dry and yet somehow wet and salivating, really interesting here
O: really the most complex and delicious Pale ale I've ever had, not too hopped, heavy, or malty, just balance in its purest sense. i need to get my hands on a case of this stuff

09-21-2011 00:09:53 | More by BigPlay1824
Bendurgin

Maine

4.55/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks a lot to this one Sean. You're a class act. Poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy golden straw color with a thick cap off slightly off white head. Real nice retention here with great sticky lace.

Start to finish in the aroma this one is full of grapefruit and citrus hops. Pretty much straight shooter on the aroma; just slightly bitter with tons of citrus. The taste is much like the aroma, lots of citrus grassy hops with some grapefruit being the most noticable of fruits. Finish with dry and bitter.

The body is light and the carbonation is good. Like I previously stated, a little dry on the finish. Overall great stuff. About as good as hoppy pale ales get.

09-20-2011 19:32:05 | More by Bendurgin
AleWatcher

4.72/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle served in nonic pint.

The beer is light, well carbed, and prickly feeling with a dry bitter finish that lingers, presenting huge citrusy grapefruit notes in the process.
The clear, dark golden body sits beneath a three finger frothy cap and looks stunning. Amazing retention and gorgeous lacing are the proverbial cherry on top.
The nose holds faint dry malts and ginormous citrusy hops; oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, etc. The beer tastes fantastic-- American pales are my top drinking style of beer, my go to daily drinker, and this is easily amongst the finest made. I can, and will, drink the hell out of this beer.

I love the Zombie Dust.

09-20-2011 03:01:47 | More by AleWatcher
THECPJ

Delaware

3.85/5  rDev -16.7%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: golden yellow orange with a 1 finger head

smell: citrus fruits, caramel, malts, has a great nose

taste: citrus, hops, bready, malts,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: this is a very nice pale ale. I will have to agree with some other people that the nose on this beer was outstanding and since it's the first reaction. The second is the taste and it couldn't live up to the smell. But overall nice beer and glad I finally got to try it.

Cheers,
the CPJ

09-19-2011 15:52:51 | More by THECPJ
flexabull

4.3/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle courtesy of jrallen34, thanks again!

I've seen that this beer has been getting a lot of buzz lately, let's see what all the fuss is about...

Pours a hazy gold color with a pretty nice white head.

Aromas are phenomenal, this is easily one of the best beers I have smelt in quite a while. Really floral, with a bunch of citrus notes, some orange, tangerine, peaches, mangos, and also a touch of stinky resin.

Taste is a bit of a let down, but I have to say, that is mostly because this beer smells so good, not because it tastes bad. Soft creamy malts, light cream and bread up front. The beer then settles into some light citrus bitterness, some lemon, oranges, and hard candies.

Mouthfeel is good, full, and smooth with nice carbonation.

Overall, this is an excellent pale ale. Like I said, the taste didn't quite live up to the nose, but that's mostly because this is such a nice smelling beer. Well done 3 Floyds, I actually prefer this to Dreadnaught.

09-19-2011 03:54:47 | More by flexabull
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

4.2/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottle generously donated by Bendurgin. Thanks! Poured into a tapered pint glass. The color is light straw and hazy. The head is poured with about a quarter inch of white foam.

The aroma is full of spicy hops with a dash of citrus.

The taste has honeydew and cucumber, with a nice bitter piney finish.

The mouthfeel is light with some nice crisp carbonation.

Huge fan of this very hoppy, very drinkable pale ale.

09-18-2011 22:37:28 | More by andrewinski1
MrTopher

4.85/5  rDev +5%

Thank you homebrew311, this is truly a gem of a beer.

A – Beautiful golden color, a little on the lighter side. Nice fluffy white head that dissipated pretty quickly. Leaves a nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

S – HOPS, and I mean HOPS, its right in your face from the start. The hop gives you a nice amount of grapefruit, pineapple and citrus, malt doesn’t want to come to the party in the nose.

T – Citrus primarily grapefruit, also some pineapple and a small amount of pine resin, but this is a HOP BOMB and there is a great bitterness to this beer. I can’t speak for the malt, because they didn’t seem present.

M – Perfect balance of carbonation, this is awesomely balanced brew not to thick and not to thin.

O – I think this is the best beer of the year, or one of the highest I have ranked this year. I wish this was distributed into my market or I could obtain a keg of this stuff because I would only drink this. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking some up.

09-18-2011 20:13:11 | More by MrTopher
callmemickey

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Clear pale-orange body. Large white head upon initial pour. Quickly receded. Moderate amount of sudsy lacing left on the glass.

S: Bright grapefruit, orange, pineapple and just a tad bit of resinous pine. Assertive tropical fruit blast -- reminiscent of fresh Sculpin.

T: Like biting into a fresh grapefruit -- with almost none of the bitterness. Amazing tropical fruit component that shines in a fresh, vibrant way, but not super-bitter like most IPAs/dIPAs that pack this much flavor per sip.

M: Smooth, medium bodied, with assertive carbonation (but not over-carbonated). Refreshing, clean finish.

O: A wonderful "APA." Like Alpha King, its hard to call this "just" an APA, but whatever it is, its damn tasty. Speaking of Alpha King, I'd love to try this head to head with fresh Alpha King.

09-18-2011 16:28:38 | More by callmemickey