Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,601
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros

4.33/5  rDev -6.1%

On-tap at Hopleaf.

A: Nice golden orange, thick off-white head.

S: Huge tangerine, sweet orange, peel, cake.

T: Orange, pine, bitter grass, sweet dough, lemon. Green in the finish, but juicy.

M: Crisp carbonation, medium-bodied.

O: Definitely one of the best pale ales I've had, and much better than Alpha King.

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks to my good friend Mike for sharing this with me.

This is golden color with a hint of redness to it. Pours in the glass and gives a nice 1 inch head supported by countless streams of bubbles rising to the top. Smells of citrus plenty of grapefuit and oranges. Tastes the same. Ah- finally a pale ale without a strong aftertaste-amazing! It feels right in my mouth and it should always be there!

Overall I enjoyed this beer very much and will have it again if given the opportunity to do so.

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint. I've had this before, but only a small serving at a festival.

This beer pours out a hazy orange color with a decent head. The aroma is absolutely fantastic. This is one hoppy beer for sure, it's almost like sticking your nose right in a bag of hop pellets. Tropical fruits and citrus are the stars of the show. The taste is also absolutely fantastic, it's seriously a hop assault of the first order. The relatively low ABV keeps the malt profile to the absolute minimum (there's just a bit of pale, slightly biscuity malts if you can cut through the hops), letting the brilliant Citra hops shine through. Orange and grapefruit come out big on the flavor, leaving the tropical aspects to more of a backing flavor. Either way, it's fantastic. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and leaves the kind of dryness that's really quite similar to biting into a hop pellet, just on a much smaller scale. There's that much hops in here, guys. The drinkability is outstanding. Overall, this is the king of pale ales/IPAs for the hophead. Superb in every way.

Sampled on tap at the brewery.

A - Golden and clear with a big white head. Great lacing.

S - A huge, huge aroma of grapefruit, orange, mango and pineapple.

T - Pure hop flavor with all of the aspects above. The bitterness is moderate and the malt is sufficient but well overshadowed.

M - Creamy and silky with a low to moderate carbonation.

O - This is a flawless beer. Absolutely fantastic.

3.75/5  rDev -18.7%

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks for this one ChicacoJohn! Zombie Dust is one of those beers. I've heard so much about it, all positive. It will be very hard to live up to my expectations. Here goes.

12oz bottle (no dates) into a tulip. Pours a glowing orange w/ a thick fluffy white head, good retention, nice lacing. Delicate wisps of sediment suspended in the brew, moderate carb. A beautiful beer.

Aroma is tons of grapefruit and pine. A clean punch of tropical goodness. Basically smells like a really good IPA. One word: Citra.

Taste is pale dry biscuity malt, a good neutral canvas to showcase the delicious Citra hops. Just a touch of bubblegum. Somehow some of the expected IBU bitterness has been stripped away (I've since learned that the beer is only dry-hopped, which probably explains this), but I'm still tempted to classify this as an American IPA.

Mouthfeel is about what you'd expect. Medium body, clean, crisp. Finishes dry. Refreshing and super drinkable.

Overall, yes this is very good. Didn't quite live up to what I was expecting, probably because people talked it up soooo much. Similar to many American IPAs I've had. Beyond that, not quite sure it's worth all the fuss it has received. It's delicious, but there's nothing especially unique or different here.

4.16/5  rDev -9.8%

A friend of mine picked up a case of this at the brewery and he was kind enough to give me a 6 pack. I knew that this was highly praised by many, so I was excited to try it. All Three Floyd's bottles usually have some cool artwork, but the Zombie Dust bottles are one of my favorite.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - It looks awesome right off the bat when you pour it. Tan / golden brown with a nice 2 finger head

S - Right away the citrus / piney hops hit you hard. It's a nice, wet, hoppy smell.

T - The taste didn't blow me away, but it was very good. Very nice citrus and pine hop flavors and surprisingly easy to drink.

M - The mouth feel was average. It was a little thin for my liking, but the carbonation was just right.

O - Overall, if you have a chance to pick this up, definitely give it a try. Most people absolutely love it. But personally, I think there are better IPA's on the shelf that you don't have to hunt down to find.

4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this right from the tap as it was popped open and let's just say I can see why it gooes so quickly

Appearance:a dark amber honey color, lactated tight white cloud colored head that leaves immedietly

Smell: like a orange grove with a light breeze

Taste: definelty my favorite part, it has great grapefruit with orange peels and little lemon zest

Mouthfeel: wow it is like I am drinking olive oil and water, but in a good way, having this great drink coating my mouth it is like the taste doesn't want to leave and I am ok with that

Overall: I see the hype and glad that a pub across the street from me has this on tap I seriously love this beer I really reminds me of pliny the elder with all the hop oil and bitterness denfintly a must have so much I think I will have a 3rd just cause

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to Shrode21 for the trade on this one.

A vigorous pour into my stemmed Allagash glass revealed a lovely orange colored beer with a huge bubbly head that lingered for a long time. The head left great lacing as it receded. The aroma is nice and lively with hops up front in the nose (perhaps I smell Chinook and Cascade?) The taste is extremely delightful and filled with citrus, bitterness, and a clean malt sweetness that underlies all the hop awesomeness. The initial flavor is of a nice hop citrus flavor that quickly gets shoved to the side by malty sweetness, and then the bitterness takes over and it finishes smooth and tasty. The taste evolves constantly in the mouth and is a very refreshing beer.

This is an excellent Pale Ale. I have had many IPA's that are not as hoppy as this Pale Ale, but this beer is extremely well balanced. The flavors are spot on and this is probably the best APA I have ever had. Thanks again to Shrode21 for the trade, this stuff rocks. Now, can I copy this with my homebrewing skills?

Zombie Dust from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub